Slaymaker's random desert brick building

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
You could always spray paint it after the thin coat.

I know...it is a possibility. I want to damage it in some way too...maybe put a hole on the top floor for a sniper to "shoot" through... some sort of bomb blast marks on a side wall too...lots of ideas...not sure how to pull them off. :(

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Just look around for pictures of buildings, and try to mimic the damage. Use an old steak knife to cut hole, notches and the like in the blocks. Remember though, less is more.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
Wood glue made it plenty strong...i used 2 5 pound plates on to hold the floors/ceilings while they dried.

I know it is not a perfect brick building with cracks and not straight walls...I was going for a run down 3rd world country in the middle of the desert look. I was thinking perhaps what I would do next "may" fill those voids...mortar if you will...but do not want to fill the pores of the styrofoam as well...

here's an idea. take spackle, mix tan paint in it and some sand as well. apply it in the cracks and wipe with a wet rag or wet finger. or the caulk idea would work, like obi said, cut the tip small so only a lil comes out, cut on a 45 degree angle. smooth out the bead with a wet finger.

the spackle and sand would look more natural, plus if you fill any pores, you could always wash it out, as caulk will fill them and you would be stuck with it after it dries.

personally, i would take spackle, sand , and tan paint and mix up a bit in a bowl and apply with a tooth pick or something in that nature.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa

Great dio piece Slay. :)

Thanks guys! I never added in the mortar as I figured it would look wrong sticking out instead of being set in and likely way out of scale since the mortar lines are usually smaller than the width of a persons finger. I still need to dirty up the building and add some battle damage - but I wanted to get it up off the floor so I added it to a shelf and threw some figures on there... :D