Super 7 & Funko ReAction

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Here is a checklist for everything that has been released or officially announced.

ReAction - All Lines

Alien
Aliens (announced during 12 days of X-mas)
A-Team (announced during 12 days of X-mas)
Back to the Future
Big Lebowski
Big Trouble in Little China
Boondock Saints
Breaking Bad
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Dark Crystal (announced during 12 days of X-mas)
DC : Arrow
DC : Flash
Escape from New York
E.T.
Fifth Element
Fight Club
Firefly
Goonies
Gremlins
Horror
Jaws
Karate Kid
Nightmare before Christmas
Predator
Pulp Fiction
Rocketeer
Scarface
Star Trek - Classic
Star Trek - The Next Generation (announced during 12 days of Xmas)
Taxi Driver
Terminator
Terminator 2
Tomorrowland
Universal Monsters

Rumored
Garbage Pail Kids
Alien Wave 3 (shown at SDCC 14)
Horror Wave 2 (Leather face and Chucky so far announced on fb group by Reis)
Nightmare Before Christmas Wave 2
Universal Monsters (possible)

So some of these have started to show up now.

My initial thoughts of the ones that I have seen are that they are as crappy as I expected them to be. I don't really like the whole "Retro" figure movement that Funko is pushing but they do have some great licenses.

Most of the humans look terrible but the alien/monster type looks like they can be okay background characters. We'll see once the actually get released.

So far I have gotten the Rocketeer, BTTF Doc Brown, and T-800s. I have the Xeno from Alien but that doesn't really count because that WAS actually sculpted in the 70s.

They are all really short compared to your common Joe figure. This helps with the Doc Brown figure though because his head is ridiculously huge on his body. I think it will look okay on regular scaled figure because it is a pretty good sculpt compared to most of the Funko human faces.

The Rocketeer's helmet is removable which makes it look huge on his figure.

The T-800 Endoskeletons are ok. The sculpts are passable and they make good robot figures. I like the Playmates one a little better though. These 2 are actually pretty tall and are a little taller than the Joe Colton figure I have at my desk. I like the non-chrome one better because it looks a lot more realistic. One ting I found odd about the chrome version was that it is larger than the non-chrome one. Everything seems to be a little bigger on it. Especially the head.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd seen the Alien ones, but saw a Rocketeer in person the other day. If you're a fan of how shitty 3.75" action figures were pre nineteen eighty and two these are right up your alley.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I'd seen the Alien ones, but saw a Rocketeer in person the other day. If you're a fan of how shitty 3.75" action figures were pre nineteen eighty and two these are right up your alley.

I don't know, I have some pre 1980 figures that are better than these. Heck I even have some happy meal figures better than these (MOTU 2K, Universal Monsters, & Small Soldiers to name a few). Chap Mei and True Heroes/Legends are all waaaaayyyyy better than these. I'll still grit my teeth and get a couple of these because that is probably the only official version that will ever happen. It is still frustrating Funko/Super7 went this route with the 4" stuff but went SA with the 6" figures. Hopefully they will do a 4" Legacy type line someday. I'de love some of those GOT and Magic figures in 4", as well as some of their ReAction stuff with better sculpts. If not at least BFS and the 4H are going to have some nice fantasy based figures out in the next couple years.

I do think I will be able to salvage Doc Brown though he does have a fairly decent head sculpt that I think will fit nicely in with my modern stuff.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Funko posted this picture the other day. Most of the bodies look bad and may be usable as background characters. The heads on the other hand, look pretty good. Especially for the Horror and Monsters series.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd pay 10 bucks for that Elsa Lanchester if I saw her on the peg. There are plenty of nude torsos out there to build a great 1:18 Bride on.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I have heard these are showing up at TRU, FYE, and Wal-Mart so you might run into one.

According to EE the UM figures are supposed to be released this month, but as there are only 9 days left I find that unlikely.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wal-mart carries these? Maybe a regional Wal-Mart, or one that actually does restock in their toy department. I generally don't bother with FYE, not even sure if the mall still has one, but they have been to have a surprise from time to time. TrU..I'll never find them in all the clutter. That leaves me with Hastings, which has a track record for carrying these.

I see Eric Draven comes with the lightning rod. Any point if there's no Top Dollar for him to duel?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Really? I don't peruse that section anymore, so I'll have to check that out. I say regional, as one or two out in California got overstock MOTU Classics Granamyr (and a couple of others).

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I'm still trying t figure out if the Dallas and Lambert in spacesuits from Alien are actual products, or just customs they had on display.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Email 'em?

No joy on them being in the trading/gaming cards.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
SO these showed up in the card aisle today. It looks like the display has the Alien figures and The Rocketeer.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
How much were they?

And are you saying they had the figures, or they just had space/pegs set up but no product?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They come in a cardboard display of 12 or 15 figures. I didn't see a price. The card aisle is right next to the express checkouts so it can get crowded over there.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I just checked for these last week, I suppose I'll have to go back and look again.

So these were in a cardboard box display type thing? And the selection of figures were random?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, and no. It was the Alien line and 4 Rocketeers.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Ahh, o.k. I hope Wal-Mart has the Alien figures cheaper than Hastings. $16.99...WTF?

And the Rocketeer was only $10??? I don't get that.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I hope so!

I'd like to get one of the Kane and Ripley figures and make the white spacesuit version of Ripley.

But that wasn't going to happen at Hastings/$16.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Even $10 bucks is more than I'm wont to pay outside of a couple of figures.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
They are showing up at Barnes & Nobel and Books a Million.

B&N had the Alien ones for $10. I haven't seen them at Walmart yet but they are reported at 9.98 there.
There is also a large display box that should be released in Octoberish...
From the picture I saw it had Firefly, Terminator, UM, Pulp Fiction, Buffy, Horror

not sure what stores will get those though.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I'm trying to figure out why WM has these with the trading cards, they are action figures so shouldn't they be with the other action figures?

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
That is where the put most of their Funko bobblehead, vinyl figures, and other random collectibles. I guess they see those in that type of category.

Its still better than those books stores that just put them wherever they happen to have an empty space...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm trying to figure out why WM has these with the trading cards, they are action figures so shouldn't they be with the other action figures?

They’re with the trading cards. $9.78.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I hope so!

I'd like to get one of the Kane and Ripley figures and make the white spacesuit version of Ripley.

But that wasn't going to happen at Hastings/$16.

This figure is supposed to be released in wave 2 at some point. They had some clear figures as SDCC exclusives this year.

and some prototypes up at SDCC

Last edited:

Tarquinius

Enlisted
Jul 31, 2014
I picked up a Firefly Mal ReAction figure the other day just because I like the show.

I'm somewhere inbetween "eh" and "ok" with it. The sculpt and paint isn't half bad, but the lack of articulation absolutely kills it for me.

Pretty sure I might just sell it

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm just irked that this is the first, and likely only, time we'll get some of these figures in the scale, and they're throw-backs to the late '70s. It's the ultimate hipster line. I'm surprised the creators don't wear trilbies and have lumberjack beards.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I'm just irked that this is the first, and likely only, time we'll get some of these figures in the scale, and they're throw-backs to the late '70s. It's the ultimate hipster line. I'm surprised the creators don't wear trilbies and have lumberjack beards.

Yeah I'm not too thrilled about the odd retro movement or whatever this is about. I do think you are correct though and these will be the only format many of these figures will ever occur at a retail level. So with that there are a few I plan on getting. I'll take what I can get. I mostly like the non-human figures since they have the better sculpts. The Funko humans just have an odd look to them. If they had been like ZICA/BBP Twilight zone I would probably have gotten more of the humans as well.

EE just got all the Horror and Universal Monster figures in stock.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I'm going to head to Walmart to see if they have them. If the heads are decent then they can be cast, and used on better Joe style bodies to make the characters the way WE want them to be, and not some crappy 70's line.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Neither WM near me has these, just checked again yesterday.

But Barnes & Noble did, but they only had three left, two Alien creatures and one Rocketeer.

I'm sure what started this was the popularity of the Alien figures, once they saw there was a market, it took on a life of it's own (the retro thing, that is). I was/am on-board with the Alien figures, the rest, not so much. That Pinhead is the worst though...I mean, he doesn't even have the one thing he's named for! I know trying to recreate pins at that scale might be difficult if not impossible, but come on.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here's the thing. The Alien figures have a purpose. Kenner prototyped those figures back in '79. It makes sense to do those, just like it made sense for Hasbro to do that mail-away rocket-firing Boba Fett.

What is the point of '78-'82 style Firefly figures?

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Just got back, and didn't see anything. There were ALLOT of pallets w/ cases on them in the area, so maybe they'll be in the reset. I'll check back in a couple of days.

As for the point of these on newer characters, or even the classic ones I'd say is just the quick buck. They grabbed up a bunch of licenses that none of the other companies had, or wanted, and started cranking out these 5 poa figures. They know that nostalgic collectors will buy up, and the Doc, and Marty of course can be used in the Delorian that came out at TrU a few years ago. It's no mystery to me why they chose to do this, but I'm hoping they at least have decent head sculpts for customizing onto better figures.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Here's the thing. The Alien figures have a purpose. Kenner prototyped those figures back in '79. It makes sense to do those, just like it made sense for Hasbro to do that mail-away rocket-firing Boba Fett.

Yeah the Alien figures are pretty cool with that history. The Dark Crystal would fit into that category as well.

Firefly, Rocketeer, etc is just irritating, especially considering they plan on doing a 6 inch "Legacy" version of some of them. The part that upsets me the most about all this is that they are doing an awesome 6" legacy line and a crappy 5POA 4" line.

Why couldn't they do a 4" Legacy style line. I'm not going to hold my breath for them to make that decision though...

I usually try to avoid the 6" vs 4" argument and am all for more toys being made if there is a market for it. But Funko really pisses me off when they make great 6" figures and leave the 4" figure collectors with a bunch of crap. Hasbro has started to be the same way.

At least there are companies like 4H, Hiya, BFS, and Ori out there.

Last edited:

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Just got back, and didn't see anything. There were ALLOT of pallets w/ cases on them in the area, so maybe they'll be in the reset. I'll check back in a couple of days.

As for the point of these on newer characters, or even the classic ones I'd say is just the quick buck. They grabbed up a bunch of licenses that none of the other companies had, or wanted, and started cranking out these 5 poa figures. They know that nostalgic collectors will buy up, and the Doc, and Marty of course can be used in the Delorian that came out at TrU a few years ago. It's no mystery to me why they chose to do this, but I'm hoping they at least have decent head sculpts for customizing onto better figures.

The head sculpts for the humans are mostly crap. Doc Brown isn't too bad but the rest are terrible.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011

Here's a fun tid-bit of information on the Alien figures. Ash had to be created from scratch because they couldn't find the mold for him.

Not really interesting, but there it is.

I agree about 5 poa figs for Firefly and some of the more recent stuff...but you have to admit, there are many people who grew up in the 70's/80's that collect old figures and these are right in that market, vintage or not. Not everyone will like them but if there's a market for them...

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Here's a fun tid-bit of information on the Alien figures. Ash had to be created from scratch because they couldn't find the mold for him.

Not really interesting, but there it is.

I agree about 5 poa figs for Firefly and some of the more recent stuff...but you have to admit, there are many people who grew up in the 70's/80's that collect old figures and these are right in that market, vintage or not. Not everyone will like them but if there's a market for them...

There is also apparently a market for the same old vintage figures being scaled up to 12". Maybe we will see these as 12" figures next year...

That's kind of cool about Ash, I didn't know that.