Takara Transformers

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's been rumored for at least six months. This is one of the few instances that I am actually on-board with a more toony look. Skinny waist, bigger chest windows, long antenna ears that angle outward. Between MP-01, MP-10, and all the KO's of each, I'm good with the toy/toon hybrid options we have. And I don't think anyone really wants a full-toy G1 prime, as he wasn't particularly impressive back in the day.

As always, price will be the big factor. And there is zero chance it won't get KO'd, improved, knocked up, knocked down... so do I want the official or the cheaper/improved KO? I can do without the trailer too, as all the trailers I own are uselessly in storage.38f424c5c316868cbdfd66afc7f6a2fa.jpgoptimus_g1_by_vectormz-d9s1rcm.jpg

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yep. Since I have the TRU toon colored one from last summer, I’ll only buy a KO version IF it is high quality and looks that much better with my Megs. The new style articulation will be what I’m after.

Edit:

Looks like you are getting your big windows and the legs look great. Damn... Just when you think you are finished.

Attachments

• D7283239-5BAC-499D-8323-CE7D4B7A66A7.jpeg
    D7283239-5BAC-499D-8323-CE7D4B7A66A7.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Eddie, you're completely right. But I'm ok with this one, as I was never a fan of MP-10 in general. I bought the official, first release... and it was a piece of crap. I had to kragle the chest doors closed because no matter how much you fiddled with them, there was always a huge gap. So mine doesn't even transform.

Sadly, my KO white version, aka Nekkid Magnus, is actually better built, but I'm just not sold on the aesthetic and proportions of that figure. It almost felt rushed, and I've always been partial to MP-01. So in that regard, I'm actually excited to replace MP-10 with something more to my liking. I'll probably get the official if it's not a $250 stab b/c of a useless trailer. Otherwise, I'll wait for the KO. We know it's coming.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
As soon as they are a few more figs deep, they'll change the scale...again. They'll keep the toon style, but change the scale. Half way through that they'll change something else. What? *shrugs* 🤷

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Everything you say is true, but will we actually care? I think I'll be totally fine with that. They need to keep things going, keep things fresh and keep collectors interested, I get that. Realistically, with the last 5 years of 3P offerings, what do I really need TT to make at this point? Yeah, I suppose there are a few '84-'86 characters they might do better than the 3P versions, but it's not a slam dunk that I'd even get the replacements.

The last official MP figure I actually got excited about and pre-ordered was Wheeljack. I eventually broke down and bought Bumblebee, Ultra Magnus, and Tracks on sale much later, but I wasn't all that excited about them, mostly slot-filling. And I bought a KO Ironhide that will live in van-mode because he sucks donkey balls. I've completely skipped MP28-MP40... so TT's plans to extend their lines really don't even blip my radar anymore.

Even 3P is getting pretty slow these days. I'm waiting on the rest of the Zeta Aerialbots, and I'll probably get XTB's Stunticons. Otherwise, I'm just picking up occasional random figures. I'm hitting full TF saturation, and I'm good with that. I don't want to be pining after new plastic robots for the next 30 years. I want to hit my TF collecting goals and tap out. I gotta buy that Challenger eventually. :panic:

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
...but will we actually care?

You make a fantastic point. I mean, I haven't cared since Ironhide. They can change the scale to anything thing they like with the going-full-retard-toon decos for all I care. Though, if they went true 1:18th alt mode scaling...😍. But we KNOW that that isn't going to happen...ever.

My collection will be deemed complete in July once this guy ships.

https://tf-direct.com/tranform-and-rollout-tr-01-hova_p2298.html

Is that the Toyworld one being re-released by the company that designed it for them?

EDIT: Researched. I'm in! Neither MT's or TW's worked for me, but this one is near perfection.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Is that the Toyworld one being re-released by the company that designed it for them?

EDIT: Researched. I'm in! Neither MT's or TW's worked for me, but this one is near perfection.

Exactly. Guess this thing has been in the works (and on pre-order) for a few years and they finally got it going last week. For $65 I’ll gladly gamble on the quality as long as I can get my hands on the “normal” version. The International version removes the Martini logos, but still looks better than the others. I’m so glad Downbeat is sold out everywhere, making me wait until this version was released.

Transform and Roll Out Hova (Masterpiece-Style Jazz)

That car is beautiful.B423B02C-6F9F-49EB-B454-EF14142F500D.jpeg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I was under the impression that this thing was completely DOA. I'm glad to see that it still has a chance. I bought and have grown to like MT's version, especially with a full complement of reprolabels, but I'm down for another good version of Jazz. Jazz, Sideswipe, Mirage, and Wheeljack were my faves growing up, so I don't mind double-dipping on good options there. I'm getting the BC Sideswipe too, even though I'm perfectly happy with MP-12.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think the running theory when TW's came out was that they bought T&R's Jazz and reworked it a bit. I was bummed because I thought that their "reworkings" looked worse. Glad that that wasn't the case.

As for the tampos, I think I've seen one showing the more tampoed one as "normal" and one showing it as the "international" version. Sooooo, who knows. I hope the more detailed version is the one we get.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Another thing that bothers me that someone pointed out is that the stripes don't go all the way back to the glass.

Here's the switched tampoed pic.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, the two pics of the 4 cars label them differently, otherwise it’s consistent that the International version is stripped down which makes sense. We want the Chiner version, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep with the other.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Taking this funky bookcase from my woman almost makes moving in 95 degree weather over a holiday worth it. Looks like I have a single car bot sized space left for Jazz. Couldn’t be happier, especially once I can actually pose them. Love how it allows me to have them all together, yet separate the toony ones from the cool ones.

ED081136-BDB0-41CE-A2D2-2DEA47787A0A.jpeg

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
He’s every bit as fiddle-y, simplified and creaky as I expected for a third party’s first product that is being sold for $65. Sounds like my KO Sideswipe (back before KOs matched or surpassed TT) and I’m sure will be the same floppy mess after a month of play. Thankfully he’s pretty enough to be a shelf queen and cheap enough that I don’t care that I can’t “play” with him; I have 20 others to transform when I get the itch. He is perfect to plug the last hole in my collection until MakeToys decides to give us a properly painted Downbeat. Pre-ordering now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm getting a full-on Spinout vibe. He'll probably be a QC disaster, but like the Omni figure, he'll look good and he's not expensive, worth taking a flier on. I ordered one, and if it sucks, I'll leave Downbeat on the shelf and Hova in car mode, no biggie. I'm not seeing it as a huge gamble.

Unrelated, anyone else see TNI's new site format? It's friggin' hideous, and you'll get carpal tunnel scrolling to see more than the top story. I feel like they took a ten-year step backwards... If they keep it as is, I might have to find a new toy news site to frequent.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh I 100% agree with you guys. Form over function if I have to choose. Still, I think if they weren't trying to please both toy and toon crowds that the end result would've been superior. *shrugs*

Did you guys watch the newest The Toys That Made Us episodes? We skipped the Star Trek one, but we watched the others. Most interesting part of the Transformers episode was that they started out as 12" JOES! And if I recall correctly, 3/4" JOES drew some inspiration from Microman/Micronauts which was part of the evolution of the 12" JOEs to TF! Crazy.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was kinda let down by it, but will certainly watch it a few more times. The first 4 episodes just seemed more focused and not as abstract. Felt like half the TF episode was over before we got to see any TFs, then 5 minutes later we are in the movie verse.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I haven't watched it, but that's odd that they spent much time at all on the bayformers. I've only watched the SW one so far, and it was super heavy into the original stuff, i.e. the toys that made us back in the day. They just glossed over everything modern, and I was cool with that. The modern stuff has little to no historical relevance. Any kind of TF retrospective should be pretty damn G1 heavy with only a small portion dedicated to stuff from this century.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's Ocular Max's version.

And yeah, chibi amongst the rest would look ridiculous. That's not even mentioning the terrible underscaling. :shakefist:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Is that the UT figure or some kind of Xing Bao knockup? So many 3P combiners these days, I can't keep track. It doesn't bother me that he's smaller than Constructor. I always think of Devy being the largest combiner b/c he's made of huge vehicles, and there are six of them. Not every combiner needs to be two feet tall.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, that's UT's version. I still think that the thighs/crotch plate are too small...check the pic.

IIt doesn't bother me that he's smaller than Constructor. I always think of Devy being the largest combiner b/c he's made of huge vehicles, and there are six of them. Not every combiner needs to be two feet tall.

*COUGH*spaceshuttle*COUGH* 😁

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
He has a Willys Jeep for a leg.... how freaking big *should* he be?! There's no way to reconcile the non-matching limb scales, no matter what size you deem to be correct. Same with Defensor. Probably why they're two of my least favorite combiners. I want an MP G1 Computron, always my favorite gestalt because he was smart, not some giant brainless rage monster. And he has no scale issues.... because futuristic! Even the two-wheeler tron cycle could in theory be huge.