Takara Transformers

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Thigh gap really doesn't look bad at all here. Certainly better than MP-10.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The MS figure looks like they increased the size of the windows compared to the early renders, which is a good thing IMO. I vastly prefer this to MP10 or 3.0. I hope they don't get discouraged by the official.

My only concern at this point is the price, as Magic Square's legends/scout figures are really expensive. I could imagine this guy costing as much as the new official.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Price vs Quality is key for me to buy the MC considering we'll be able to get KO 3.0's in any color you want for around $100. MC definitely looks the best from the extremely limited pics/renders we've seen of both.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's a concern because I think the Magic Square figure will not be cheap. I know there will be plenty of KOs of the official, but unless they improve it substantially, I wouldn't drop $100 on it either. I still vastly prefer Despotron to MP-36 or any of it's KO iterations, so I don't have a ton of faith that this official will get improved enough to suit me.

And lately, 3P's don't seem interested in fixing straight-up copies anymore. They only fixed MP10's proportions on the MPP oversized and MP10V undersized KOs. They only fixed Ironhide's host of problems on the Knock-up. The days of getting improved KOs like Tracks seem to be in the past.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Infinite Transformations made several improvements to the MP-36 mold, but I hated the grey color they went with. Honestly, all but the straight unbranded KO that I bought had baked in improvements of one kind or another. Other than paint, none of them make the visual improvements that you or Eddie would approve of.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Man, I've collected hundreds of spare ML for parts to do my own line of 6" Joes. I even bought an airbrush last year and painted up my first three guys (although I haven't reassembled them yet). I would kill for a 6" line, and if that was announced, I'd be having a massive loose ML sale!

I've lost count of the number of tubs of ML figures I amassed just to make Joes. I should have known that as slow as I am to make customs, something official would come around. Seriously, basically every custom Joe or TF that I've ever planned and bought parts for... eventually comes around. So I essentially waste a lot of money on customs I'll never make. D'oh! I should stop...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I would give my left nut for 6" ARAH Joes.

YES! And nooooooooooo! I don't want to start over! Would I be able to resist? Not likely, so NO! I've already got a full 1:18th JOE collection and a satisfactory amount of 1:18th TFs.

So I essentially waste a lot of money on customs I'll never make. D'oh! I should stop...

Eeeeeeeeyup. Though I have tried to focus on characters I know will never see 1:18th once I saw Hasbro eventually tackling every character.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
When I started buying extra ML's for customs, there wasn't even a 6" SW line, so I never dreamed a Joe line could be a reality (and it still might not be). But it happened with everything. I bought a shit-ton of custom Joe parts from every castor in the known world, and every figure got made eventually. So I stopped that. Parts are still there.

Then I bought lots of spare TF revoltechs to make my own G1 cast, and a few figures in, some talented chinese guy with a 3D printer started pumping out his own, far better than anything I could produce. So I stopped that, tons of spare figures still there.

Then I bought all kinds of model kits and gundam body frames to make my own MP G1 TF cast, because TT was releasing one per year and was clearly never going to make anything but Prime, Megs, and Seekers. Then MP-10 changed the scale and MP-12 hit, and the 3P scene exploded to make everything under the sun. So I stopped that, tons of parts still here.

And now I'm going to have a dump truck load of spare MLs. On one hand, I assume that just means my tastes are relatively aligned with what's in demand, but it's equal parts cool and frustrating. The only thing I've had any success with was my Mega-bloks Joes, only because Mattel/Mega will never get a license for Joe... unless Hasbro buys Mattel. Now that I've said it, it's practically guaranteed. :laugh:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
While seemingly impressive from an engineering standpoint... I don't want stunticons that are substantially larger than carbots. The whole point is that they were decepticon equivalents. The G1 toys were noticeably smaller than carbots, but I can accept them being AS big... but making them the same size as a seeker or constructicon just seems wrong on many levels.

I'm not a huge scale wonk, and I'm not above using my imagination for things like mass-shifting... it's part of the universe as I know it. My brain accepts it. But I also have a head-canon about what size range certain bots fit it... and this is just too far out of those bounds. FT makes good toys, and I have no doubt it'll be a nice piece, but I'll stick with XTB for my menasor.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've always held on to alts being the most important mode when it comes to scale. The bot mode being whatever it ends up being. Toon/toy/comic heights be damned. But how in the heck can two cars that are relatively the same size end up being THAT different in bot mode??

I know that the alt pic shows renders, but FT rep said that it's an accurate representation.

Eh, unimportant I guess. IF I get the set, it'll always be combined.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
MP-43 Beast Megatron. According to information from the post, Beast Megatron is scheduled to be released in January 2019, with a retail price of 35,000 Yen (approximately 315.00 USD per current conversion rate). This release edge out MP-41 Dinobot’s 30,240 Yen retail price to become the highest price Masterpiece figure to date; however, it will be the largest Masterpiece figure scheduled for release as well.

Takara has lost their damn minds.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’ve seen people defending Beast Wars saying it was their G1. I understand that, but will never understand spending $200 on a dinky cheetah or $300 on a purple dinosaur especially when you look at the ridiculous amount of panels in alt-mode. More power to those kids if they have the money to feed the beast. Certainly have yet to hear of anyone KO’ing them.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
At least G1 dinobots (as stupid as they were) had the decency to have a full humanoid robot in the dino shell, and the dino parts are hidden as much as possible or hang off the back.

This thing looks like the designers just ran out of time and said, "F#$% it, the robot will just have the same dino legs & feet and a big giant t-rex head for a hand... and the tail can just partsform into a thing that isn't big enough to be a shield or pointy enough to be a sword. Eh, that's good enough, they'll never notice."

Newsflash, we noticed... Even if I could ignore Beast Wars, I'm bothered by the fact that it even exists.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Even if I could ignore Beast Wars, I'm bothered by the fact that it even exists.

Seriously - and I genuinely mean this - I'm glad to hear that others are just as irrationally hateful of something so stupid. I know taste is subjective blah blah blah, but C'MON! That crap is awful! Do they not have eyes??

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm sure if this site had younger participants we'd find some people adamant that BW is awesome... but I think it's objectively terrible from the aesthetics, all the way down to the initial premise of the series. It borders on blasphemous, and I'd be willing to bet the entire endeavor started as a marketing-bro dare.

"I'll bet you can't get kids to buy a TF / Jurassic Park mashup!"

"Twenty bucks says I can. I'll pitch it next week. The leader will be Optimus Primal... Get it? It's so punny! He'll be a monkey. The kids will love it. Everyone loves monkeys."

"Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of transformers, i.e. to change into something for disguise purposes?"

"Eh, kids are stupid. They bought 'Pretenders', soooooo...... It's a robot. It's an animal. We'll make Megatron a dinosaur. Jurassic Park my ass! Suck it Kenner!"

No joke, I hate BW to an irrational level. The fact that Takara even acknowledges them bothers me. It should be forgotten and all traces banished to wherever all the jar-jar figures went.