Takara Transformers

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Anyone see XTB's Skids? While I typically think XTB has the best aesthetic designers in the 3P biz, this bot is beyond stupid looking. To be fair, G1 Skids was equally goofy and was only surpassed by Ironhide and Ratchet in the worst toy contest. So if that's the look they were going for, I suppose you can call it a success? :sick:

The TFW responses are overwhelmingly positive, which tells me there were A LOT of unfortunate kids who ended up with a clearanced shelfwarmer Skids in the 80's, after all the cool bots were taken. I blame hippie parents and clueless grandmas. ("I know you wanted that robot that turned into a sports car, but here's a blue one that turns into a japanese-Gremlin-ecobox. His name is Skids, just like your underwear!") Hell, why not just buy the kid a Gobot and make the disappointment complete.

Sure, the modern IDW comics have actually made him into a marginally interesting character, but I have never once wished I had an oversized G1 skids. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I'm clearly missing something, but that's also my reaction when people get excited about Seaspray, Hoist, or fucking beast wars. SMH.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Never had him as a kid, but he was my very favorite Alternator. I thought they made him up for that line. I wonder how that Alternator's scales with the MPs now because he certainly looks the part in botmode.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Those MFers... Why couldn't SS have that head!

There is a 100% chance that an MP+ release will include a toy deco and corresponding head. Just give it six months. But in reality, while that head is a vast improvement, I like it when the ears are a bit higher and not down to his chin. Would it kill them to release one with a few noggin options? Ditch the crippled kid accessory if necessary.

No, Skids was definitely not made up for Alternators. G1 Skids... what a turd of a figure.

skids.jpg

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm clearly missing something, but that's also my reaction when people get excited about Seaspray, Hoist, or fucking beast wars. SMH.

Whatever you're missing, I'm missing it too. ESPECIALLY when it comes to beast wars. Past our time I guess?

Edit: So admittedly, I didn't know who this Skids figure/character was. I had to go to TFW and find the thread. Gotta say, they did a bang up job recreating the OG fig. Like a really good job. No figure I have any desire to ever own, but impressive. And he looks like he'd blend in amazingly design wise with the pre-super-toony figures like Prowl and such.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Oh it's a great likeness of a super-shitty G1 figure. It would be like someone making an MP Ironhide toy-version (egads!). In this case, faithfulness to the original is a detriment, not a plus.

If you guys don't remember him, then you also don't remember what a colossal shelf-warmer he was. He was the Crystal Ball of '85 Transformers. When stores had nothing else, there were plenty of Skids to go around.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I have countless official and KO sideswipes. Being more of a toy-fan myself, I actually really like the official and his wide chest, but I ordered the BC version too, as it does have a nice look about it (although the head is off still). Being my favorite character from the franchise, buying multiple good versions is easy to justify.

What's interesting is that I think that this is really the first time outside of Prime and Megs that any 3P has put out a character that's already gotten an official figure. I guess enough time has passed that we're starting to circle back around. Always a new version coming down the line.

What's funnier is that even Badcube didn't have the guts to put their own shitty sunstreaker in the pictures. :laugh:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Looking a bit CHUG-y and Alternator-y up close. A lot of straight edges and cheap looking hinges. Lower legs and feet especially. Not sure I like his neck deck shoulder area either.

5AB0EB6B-662D-429D-9759-1F1DC2C6313F.jpeg

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
What's funnier is that even Badcube didn't have the guts to put their own shitty sunstreaker in the pictures. :laugh:

That cracked me up too. Want to troll the BC SS thread soooooooo badly. :troll:

But yeah, that last pic pcs posted is unmistakably Badcube-y. Those thighs look like the ugly ones on their Trailbreaker. I love the alt mode, though. Its almost got a 70's Lambo look to it...could just be the angle.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That's extremely toy accurate. For those folks, it'll be a big hit.

I could do without the chest-hair, but yeah, that finish is definitely closer to what I'd like. Doesn't fix the high waist or skinny feet, but it's an improvement over the bland grey one, IMO. The kicker is that the first version was 100% toon, and this version is 100% toy. In my mind, a true MP blends the two, taking the best of all worlds and melding them into some type of ultimate hybrid. Sadly, neither version of TT Megs does that in a way that's consistent with earlier MP figures.

Beyond that, the issue will be the cost. I like Despotron quite a lot, so it would take something truly astounding to make me fork over $250+ to replace him.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That's extremely toy accurate. For those folks, it'll be a big hit.

I could do without the chest-hair, but yeah, that finish is definitely closer to what I'd like. Doesn't fix the high waist or skinny feet, but it's an improvement over the bland grey one, IMO. The kicker is that the first version was 100% toon, and this version is 100% toy. In my mind, a true MP blends the two, taking the best of all worlds and melding them into some type of ultimate hybrid. Sadly, neither version of TT Megs does that in a way that's consistent with earlier MP figures.

Beyond that, the issue will be the cost. I like Despotron quite a lot, so it would take something truly astounding to make me fork over $250+ to replace him.

Well obviously it’ll have the normal head and chest plate with it, but there was always the silver one with metallic red calves and waist vents that sits perfectly between the 2 TT versions for $100-$150. I don’t know why someone would want a chrome one, but more power too them. It’s funny that TT has now ripped off the head, chest and waist gun barrel from the KO companies.

https://tf-direct.com/mp-36-masterpiece-megatron-re-paint-in-silver_p2115.html

7F5A34F0-53C9-489B-A877-9E53D5B0E6C1.jpeg
7F036850-21F1-4E7B-8528-DA9EDB0EDFAD.jpeg

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Is the repainted silver one the KO?

Probably both KO’s, but the repainted silver one was being listed as TT factory rejects that had been repainted silver, hence why it is more than the straight KOs. The detail on the front hip skirts back up the theory since the KO’s skirts were identical left and right, not different like the TT. Notice the right skirt piece on that grey one looks like a replacement with the correct details.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
There is no toon scale. Some times humans are as tall as that pic, other times they fit in the bot’s hands. All I know is having that one little group in 80’s screen deco together is all I need for my nostalgia. It’s everything I wanted as a kid, therefore it’s good enough for me as an adult. :cool:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Your pic reminded me... after thinking it would never happen, I got my hands on a rare red Voodoo Ironhide, so I don't have to worry about trying to modify Capt Buttwheels (I bought a $30 KO, but he's going to stay a van). I may or may not try to graft the TFC ironhide head onto the voodoo body, as they improved the voodoo head from the proto. I'm torn.

Rider

Au Soleil !
Jul 30, 2015
Marseille
cobra.4umer.com
I know I never post here since I don't have almost any TF and clearly nothing new for you to show,
but I always follow this thread and love your collections

And I know none of you is really fond of him ...
But I just wanted to share the fact that I am ... really ... Happy to have it here today ! :

He has some flaws yes but Damn ... I like him !
It's huge and it fits perfectly in my 1:18 (or so) universe !
Hope you don't mind the interruption ^^

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Is that Arcee a render or an actual statue? I agree the underboob is a bit much, but the figure/statue itself is pretty sweet.

Why can't a 3P make a figure of her with a noggin that nice? So far, they're batting zero on acceptable Arcee heads... to the point I made my own from a cast of an old statue. I know she's challenging, but I can't imagine with all the 3P design talent out there, someone couldn't have done better than what's been produced.