Takara Transformers

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’ve only used them for logos and G1 Optimus and all of those are better than Hastak stickers. The door decals on Downbeat worried me since the edges looked fuzzy like paper on camera. Old GI Joe stickers are the paper type I’m using as a comparison.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I recall most all vintage Joe stickers being clear vinyl, not paper. The HQ set are the only "paper" stickers I can think of.

Downbeat's door stickers are printed on a white paper, while the leg stickers are thin chromed, the martini stickers are clear-backed vinyl. It's a mix. None of them seemed "thick" to me, but clearly YMMV.

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Can’t stop playing with Downbeat. I wish the legs would hold together a bit better, but otherwise he’s everything I wanted in a Jazz. Still debating the reprolabels.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
They had an opportunity with the spin-off based in the 80's to go hard G1 and test the waters with near strict adherence. To really see is audiences would accept the "goofy" designs. Honestly, I think it's excuse to just go with their designs. Even kids would love this.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Face doesn’t bother me considering what the other 5 movies (which this one is a true prequel) have given us, it’s the fact they named that character Blitzwing.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
So glad to see this forum is still alive after all this time.

I am not sure how many of you are collecting G1 inspired stuff from the KO market, but I have recently received MPP-10 with trailer, and it's amazing. The WeiJiang stuff is fantastic, and I am thinking about their version of Omega Supreme. Any thoughts on WeiJiang products?

Also, here is a 15 minute summary of all Unicron-themed music from the 1986 film.

There is a scheduled re-release of the original film in theaters on September 27, and it's Nationwide. Anyone going to see it?

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I've got MPP-10 (sans trailer) and the nekkid Magnus version too. They actually improved the mold from the original. Those are the only WJ figures I have, but they're solid.

I'm taking the wife and kids to the film on the 27th, and I think Eddie's going too.

Yes, MPP-10 is fantastic! There is a larger scale edition of Megatron to match MPP-10, and I think he is great as well. Robot Hero also upscaled the Seekers. What do you think of them? I have the translucent-purple KO release of the standard-sized MP release of Skywarp, and think he's cool as hell (just really brittle around the knee joints and arms).

I wish that I could go with you and Eddie. I saw it as a kid in the theaters with all of my friends from daycare (without seeing any trailers on TV, so I had no idea what Unicron was), so it would be like a return to childhood. Will be seeing it in Tampa, FL.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wish that I could go with you and Eddie. I saw it as a kid in the theaters with all of my friends from daycare (without seeing any trailers on TV, so I had no idea what Unicron was), so it would be like a return to childhood. Will be seeing it in Tampa, FL.

It certainly would be cool to go see it with another fan and friend, but me nacho are not going together. We live 8'ish hours away from each other.

It'll be a lot for me though especially since I didn't see it in theater when I was a kid.

I do refer to them as Michael Bay's Spiderbots for a reason. They all look like a bunch of weird robotic insects and arachnids.

I just don't get the insistence after all this time to stick with those butt ugly designs. Designs that are nearly unanimously disliked by the fandom. Well, at least the adults. I have no idea how kids feel. But they don't any better. What makes it worse is that they are going back to the 80's and they STILL won't go nostalgic! 🤬

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I saw it in the theater, but I didn't know squat about it ahead of time. I don't think I knew what unicron was either. I remember, it was the summer between 5th and 6th grade. My mom took me and a buddy to see it. While I liked the movie, I remember being kinda bummed/stunned, partially because of all the deaths, but also because I didn't know anything about all the new characters. And I didn't have all the '86 toys yet.

I guess it worked as a marketing stunt, because I certainly wanted to buy a lot of the new guys. But half the fun of seeing a movie like that was going home and acting out the good parts with your toys, putting your own spin on it, etc. But if they toys aren't out, or you haven't had time to acquire any of them, it falls a bit flat.

I've seen the movie a ton of times, probably once a year for the last 15 years. My kids have seen it mutable times, even the wife has. So there won't be any shocking surprises, but the wave of nostalgia should be well worth the price of admission. The fam knows how much I'll enjoy it, so they're humoring me if nothing else. Plus it's a movie on a school night. What's not to love if you're 9 or 11?! Should be a good time.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh it'll be awesome for sure. Seeing BTTF I and II in theater 3 years ago (Holy crap! It's been 3 years already?!) was goosebumperific! I wish they'd remaster Superman: The Movie for the theater. I'd be so verklempt!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
As I've chronicled here, I'm not a big fan of the majority of the '85 cast. I like Aerialbots and a few big names like Blaster and Perceptor, but by-and-large, the '85 group are a poor substitute for the Ark crew.

Until recently, I've never owned an Omega toy, but I picked up the MFT version to go with my revoltech/oversized legends collection. He's still in the box. All of the 3P MP versions look pretty good, but I just don't know where I'd put a 24" bot. My '84 shelf is packed, and I feel like I'd just end up sticking him in the floor like an ignored pet.

I agree with Eddie that Omega should be chunky. One of them has a massive thigh-gap that bugs me, but I can't the details of them all straight. It's pretty wild that we have three different giant MP OS figures to nitpick. Who would have ever dreamed.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
He’s the only giant 1pc bot that I like and he needs to stand next to my bookshelf of MPs. I really appreciate the way WJ made Omega’s skeleton like a steel tube frame and the sleeker look. Definitely never thought I’d be buying an MP Omega.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
PS... How many Mega-Block sets did you have to rummage through to assemble that GI Joe MOBAT?

Looks sharp, and makes me wish something like that was mainstream.

I really like the Call of Duty Mega Blocks, and managed to score the massive Hovercraft set on clearance from TRU about 2 years ago.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Thanks! I think most of the pieces for the MOBAT and WHALE came from various Halo sets that use a nice dark green, largely the UNSC Vulture and Rhino, both of which have a lot of parts. I managed to pick those sets up sub-MSRP. But I never know what parts I'm going to need, as I really make up the designs as I go, so I just amass a bunch and give it a go.

I grabbed the CoD Hovercraft on clearance too, but I haven't assembled it yet because time/space. PCS has done so, and he swears it's a fantastic piece.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Reactions: Bravestarr