Takara Transformers

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen, too. There were actually a few small things I noticed on the movie screen that I had previously missed on the DVD and Blu Ray editions. For example, the opening scene where Unicron closes in on Lithone, we can see Kranix and other scientists staring at Unicron from a bubble dome/glass window. We see them staring in shock from a corner of the screen as the rest of the planet is being pulled off the surface and toward Unicron.

There were some other little things I noticed, but I have since forgotten after the ride home. I actually found the G1 Re-Release of Hot Rod at Walmart tonight, but 30 bucks is too much. Plus, Hot Rod annoys me, so there's that.

Attachments

• Lithone.jpg
    Lithone.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 5

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Oh, and there was a little kid sitting next to me asking his Dad why Optimus Prime died. Really brought me back to the same feeling I had when I was 8 and in the theaters.

I also heard some people laugh when Slag breaks down the Sharkticon pit door, crushes the Quintesson guard, and says, "Excuse me!" I remember hearing laughter in the theater during that scene when I was a kid in summer of 1986.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I caved and grabbed a G1 Devy during my morning errands, now to decide if I want him or not. Remember the days when you didn’t have to buy something when you stumble upon it because you knew there would be more next week?

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Agreed. I have the first two zeta aerialbots, and they're solid. Assuming the end gestalt is anything close to as awesome as Constructor, I'll be very happy, especially considering how inexpensive thy are.

The TFC bot... it's just pure garbage at this point. I try not to think about what I spent on that turd and Herc. They both belong at the bottom of the river.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Uranos. Ugh. I hate even seeing that thing. Hercules... I have a special love for it considering it really started the 3rd party craze. It also was responsible for getting me back into TFs. That first shot of Exgraver in arm mode...so awesome! And that thread was so much fun to follow. Every new WIP pic from TFC. Good times.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Makes me glad I was poor when all of those combiners and early 3rd part figs were coming out. I can't ever see regretting my $100 purchase of giant-fied Warbotron as my only MP scale combiner.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
So very true. I'm far more selective and patient than I was 6-8 years ago. At that time, my attitude was very much, "I must buy this because nothing like it will ever be seen again!"

I really never dreamed the 3P market would boom the way it did, or that HasTak would allow the 3P market to get much beyond the "garage kit" phase. I expected the legal hammer to drop on 3Ps and for all the unofficial TF stuff to dry up. It simply never happened. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I'd have saved a ton of money if I'd known what was eventually going to drop.

Of course, I also sold a lot of that early 3P stuff during the Great Toy Purge of '14 and made some good scratch on many of those items b/c the bottom hadn't fallen out of the CHUG market at the time. Among many, I definitely got out of the City Commander and iGear Seekers market at the peak!

But those three combiners are among the few things I opened (I was building the house and everything was just getting put into storage), and they're practically worthless, not worth the time to go through the bins to gather up all the right bits and pieces.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As mentioned, Mandingo lucked out. An easy peasy purge with a full refund of regret buys. Re-buy the must haves. Though I'm sure the police report and insurance claim procedures weren't fun.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It takes so long and that includes giving away stuff to people’s kids. I always rotated my 1:18 and TF collection back when this site was firing up, so I never had more than a room’s worth. Sell old, buy new. I even donated big chunks of collection to raffles on this site. All of that and it still took me 2yrs if here and there sales or trades to trim it within reason. I’m down to several crates of legos, my TFs and my RC tanks.

In other words, I’d had loved it if it all went up in smoke a few years back.

Reactions: Bravestarr

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Even thinking about trying to sell, negotiate, package, ship, etc. prevents me from bothering with trimming. If my nephews weren't like the kids in Overboard I'd gift them a lot of my crap.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well it never transformed in the show, and since it's a frankenstein, it's hard to imagine it even has an altmode... but who knows.

As for what to do with it... that's a larger question that plagues 99% of these purchases. Put it on a shelf and pose it? Make it talk to your other bots in your best robot voice? It's a prop piece much like Nightbird or other one-off characters from the toon. It's quirky, weird, and while I didn't love that episode, I love that they're even making such oddities.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It'd be cool (and tick off nearly everyone) if for a character like this they did a build-a-figure. Aren't they doing one of the Menasors? Maybe include a piece with every Stunticon.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It's cool that they are making it and of course it would be cool to have something so obscure, but that also makes it hard to place on the shelf. I'm really interested to see it painted up and see what finish they use.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
In general, the broadcast masters just look dirty and faded. The digital is far more vibrant, has phenomenally better contrast, and generally looks more like it was intended. I suppose there could be some nostalgia for the broadcast master "look" since that's more like what we saw on crappy 19" tvs back in the day, but generally, the digital is vastly superior.

The digital in that video is supposedly the Rhino dvd release. Those were done in the early 2000s. I wonder how the Shout-Factory version looks in comparison. Did they just copy the Rhino versions, or did they do some decade-later improvements to the overall quality? I own both sets. I ripped the Shout version to my media server, and they look good, but I've never taken the time to examine them side by side. At some point, the limiting factor becomes the questionable quality of the original animation, for which there is no fix.

Reactions: Bravestarr

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That puts arguments about shade in regards to MP's in a whole new light. Those poor guys. :laugh:
Yeah, those guys going nuts about the shade of Stunticon bots... peach this, and peach that. I feel like I've taken a wrong turn at crazytown. Is Kup blue or is he green? F#$%, just make one, and I'll know if it's good when I see it.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
G1 and done. All factory fresh except for the black Megatron, but he was in box with a fresh sticker sheet. I hate Hot Rod as a character even more after getting his G1 toy. Nothing about him fits with pre-movie designs.

I’m glad I opened an eye towards G1 before Walmart stocked their shelves.

E184FFA4-7763-4C49-918F-DCFCD8457AF7.jpeg