The Compound W.I.P.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Nice work man! I dig the checkered floor, and do I see I-beams? That fence work looks really good too!

I don't recall who did it, but I saw someone here use painted bendy straws for downspouts.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Nice work man! I dig the checkered floor, and do I see I-beams? That fence work looks really good too!

I don't recall who did it, but I saw someone here use painted bendy straws for downspouts.

Thanks, everyone!

Yea, Eddie, those are plastic I-beams... I was trying to make them with wood, and found these when I consulted the internet after failing miserably. Turns out that the shop where I just found the acrylic Model Masters and Tamiya paints has a whole rack of plastic stuff like this. It is expensive, but really sweet. I'm going to start building more shit from it as needed.

So, I've been chipping away, literally, at the compound. I started with the hot wire cutter and made a bunch of sections for the sidewalk. Then, I re-made the doors for the liquor store and garage.

With a good slug of Johnny Walker in me, I started to chip away at the crawl spaces under the buildings. I liked how they turned out and moved on to the street.

Some cobble stones for the hotel entrance, a big chunk of washed away tarmac, and the whole thing was getting pretty unstable. Off to the Depot and I picked up some board to mount the diorama to. Good to go, albeit a bit heavy, now.

I glued down the first set of facades, scrimmed and textured the tarmac, and my first whack at the paint is on:

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Man I am loving this dio. Every update is incredible. This is going to be one hell of a setup for many many photo ops.

Thanks, Medd! After seeing your work, that is one hell of a compliment!

I'm feeling really happy with how it is turning out. There are some parts I'm really proud of, actually, and I'm learning a ton as I go along as well, with many thanks to y'all here. I'm looking forward to setting up for some shots!

Of course I have absolutely no room for those dumpsters I built. But hey, whatever :fuckit:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh now that is cool! I'm particularly loving that washed away asphalt! And did you individually cut out sidewalk sections?!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I'm feeling really happy with how it is turning out. There are some parts I'm really proud of, actually, and I'm learning a ton as I go along as well, with many thanks to y'all here. I'm looking forward to setting up for some shots!

I was just thinking to myself how sick you 3rd and 4th dios are going to be. 1st and 2nd dios usually are techniques hashing out dios. Most people start hitting their stride on dio 3 or later. I for one, cant wait to see what your stride has in store for us.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd love to see all these great giant dios you guys build linked assembled together at a con or something...maybe even planned ahead of time so that the streets match up...maybe someone could do a landscaped one to join them or something cool...

I don't know...just thinking of this, Diglers and Medds dios all in one place. *jizzface*

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Oh now that is cool! I'm particularly loving that washed away asphalt! And did you individually cut out sidewalk sections?!

Thanks, Eddie!
Yea, turns out my lady had a hot wire cutter stashed away. Made easy work of cutting out the pavers… and the fumes smell lovely.
By the way, I was just checking out that custom HISS you built, that things kicks ASS!

I was just thinking to myself how sick you 3rd and 4th dios are going to be. 1st and 2nd dios usually are techniques hashing out dios. Most people start hitting their stride on dio 3 or later. I for one, cant wait to see what your stride has in store for us.

Dang! Yea, lots of figuring shit out on this one and definitely some things I would have done differently… but my brain is churning on what is next as well. I'm stoked to have found this site, as y'all are a great community of pushers, er, I mean, talented craftsmen.

I'd love to see all these great giant dios you guys build linked assembled together at a con or something...maybe even planned ahead of time so that the streets match up...maybe someone could do a landscaped one to join them or something cool...

I don't know...just thinking of this, Diglers and Medds dios all in one place. *jizzface*

Oh man, THAT would be very kick ass. So how do we make that happen? Some of the vehicles, and the level of work on some of the dioramas I've seen on here is just frigging jaw dropping. It would be cool to see them in person.

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
TIE_Fighter...Thats just rad! Awsome dio!...MAny thanks to showing the WIP. You guys giving so much ideas...that if I try write them down..it'll be a whole book. =)

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
What did you use for the fence? I got a roll of stuff I thought would work - it's a thin mesh for over gutters, but it's way too flimsy, even with posts glued to it.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
What did you use for the fence? I got a roll of stuff I thought would work - it's a thin mesh for over gutters, but it's way too flimsy, even with posts glued to it.

I have some pics of it deeper in the thread... The "chain link" is cut from desk organizing trays found at a thrift store. I've seen the exact same stuff at Target. It kicks ass, is just rigid enough, and takes paint well. I twist steel wire to hold it to the posts, like you would with real fence.

The "barbed" wire I've twisted from regular spools of steel wire, a pair of pliers, and a drill.

*edit* Just checked, the pics are on the first page, Mojo

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Nice job TIE....I like the color combo's and your mix of shading. Something I've been diving into is LED's and Neon signs you should think of including them in your set ups....here is a link to the one's I use. Hobby LEDs for Model Trains, RC, Diecast - Home

Thank you very much, Digler! From your monster dio that was directly an inspiration for me starting The Compound, to your custom vehicles, your work is outstanding, master level, and an inspiration. I never knew about this world before, but the level of craftsmanship continues to blow my mind. I appreciate the compliment and encouragement.

And, oh yea,... holy crap, y'all are like crack dealers.
"Go on, try this..." :)

The LED kits are cool! I've been wondering how to incorporate lights for what I have planned next, as I have zero experience with LED lights. I'm quite confident with a soldering iron and figuring stuff out, but always appreciate when something has been sorted already.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Well, I've put in another couple of hours on The Compound, and it is getting really close to being complete. More paint work and some details tackled tonight:

Liquor store basement access, a staple of New York's streets. Medd mentioned using foam core for his dumspter, and as I had some kicking around after making a prop lottery check, I figured I'd try to use it for something in The Compound. I think it worked out perfectly! Thanks, Meddetron.

Liquor store stairs:

Loading bay extension… I still need to make the bumpers, I'm thinking model magic:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
And, of course, I had to shoot a few pictures after a celebratory beer:

Our friend Zed is hungry...

"Oh look, dinner?"

"Dang it, I said I wouldn't have dessert."

"Hmmm, now I'm thirsty…"

"Hey, a liquor store!"

"This night has been a real thriller!"

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Looks fantastic. Great paint on that liquor cellar door. The greenery really added that final pop. Awesome dio!

Since I am such a friend of the Zombie, they asked me to say thanks for the home. They expect a meal every Thursday and Sunday and they like to hear Weird Al's Just Eat It on Mondays for inspiration.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
So, all the major work is done, as are the details. I have some touch up painting to do, but it is safe to say that The Compound is done!
I started with this sketch on October 24th:

And now have The Compound finished on November 20th:

While there are some things I'd do differently, I've learned loads on this first diorama project. I'm very happy with results, and have already begun planning and some work on my second build :)

A big shout out to Meddatron, G.I. Eddie, Digler, and everyone else for the encouragement, input, and inspiration. Thank you all!
Cheers!

I'll follow up with shots from the last few hours of work that I put in today...

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!

I need to make a couple ladders, or maybe find some out there in scale, and outfit the compound with some armaments. Once those details are sorted, I'll set up a couple photo shoots and see how it looks with figures :)
Cheers!

Last edited: