Tutorial: Creating Dio Walls from Foam

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
What PopSculpture did for figures, this does for dios. This is seriously awesome.

There needs to be a book that covers 1:18 dios and, MR, you need to write it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks daremo :)

Means a lot coming from you man! But I've just tried my hand at what others have before me. I've still got lots of practice to learn. I've been a huge fan of your stuff for quite some time. Hopefully it comes in handy! Always, feel free to post in-process or final pics of your stuff that you make based off this tutorial. It's an open-learning thread. The more the merrier!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This was fun. Didn't really care how it came out as it was mostly experimentation, but with the ease of the foam and Rex's great tutorial I made it into something I could use.

Let me know what you think, I welcome all constructive critisim.

I used the damageds walls in front as my reference

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That's badass Rick! And that's just the start, wait till you do more and use the space that you have! I had to put my work on hiatus for the time being and put my stuff away to clean up my home office area for guests that were visiting, but I still have a whole laundry list of ideas left to make. That foam goes a long way, and is really great for this type of work. I want to see what you can do with an even bigger landscape.

At first, when I saw the reference pic you posted, at first glance I thought that was the model you'd made. My initial reaction was "HOLY SHIT!" The walls are still impressive, but the sky in that pic threw me for a loop for a second. :)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Damn Rick! Pretty balla' if you ask me. I didn't think much could improve your dioramas but I think this may be what puts you at "elite" status. I guess I'm going to have to get some supplies now and give this a shot. Glad winter is coming. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
wow Rick!...thats amazing!...you really showed the potential this foam has and the many other possibilities that can be done with it...very cool...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks everyone.

I still have alot of the sheet I bought left, so i think I'm going to do a cobblestone intersection. It will be shaped like a Red Cross logo. Then in each 90 degree corners build 2 sided facades to put in place. with the foam as a base so it all lines up with thickness the same.

Maybe place 1/4 inch lifts underneath so the inserts sit up the height of a sidewalk curb.

The foam has a tounge and groove connection and the female end if raised a bit will be that curb.

Make sense?

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Started on my cobble stone intersection. This is going to take a while.

The long rectangles around the perimeter represent the pieces of granite that often act as the transition between the asphalt and the cobblestone as well as the gutters.

To give the surface of the stones an uneven texture I am rolling and tapping the tops with the end of my architects scale.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
So pumped...my wife and kids got me a Tippi and a Dremel for Christmas...now to start cutting up some foam board.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here are some progress pics. Feel like I've turned the corner now that the cobblestone is done.

Goal is to have 4 (12 x 12) interchangeable sidewalks with 2 sided building facades. At 12x12 I can do some interior stuff looking through a room out and down into the intersection (especially now that I have a tripod my wife got me for xmass). :D

They will be put on 1/4 inch lifts to achieve a raised curb up from the street.

Then I can make additional facades that are 12" x 24" for wharehouse and downtown buildings that can have the face along the street and short lengths on each side of facade.

The other 3 parts of the intersection that don't have street extensions, I plan to make (plain asphalt, dirt and cratered asphalt.

Check out the 1:18 Border Patrol truck my Mom got me. She's so funny. I guess I can do that Al Qeda sneaking across the Mexican / US border dio. :rolleyes:

I need a good imprint for the sewer cap.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
oh man!...can't wait to see the dios you creat Rick...thats gonna be some awesome backdrop too...you sould paint up the bp truck..

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ok here it is all painted.

it's been in a few of the latest dios.

Bought another piece of foam to start on the buildings and sidewalks. Thinking first one will be an office building and maybe the full length of one side.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if how well it will work with foam, but Liquitex came out with a line of water based spray paints that work pretty good with different figure plastics.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
So I had a little error with this stuff that pleasantly turned out ok. What I did was try to glue an eave onto a building face with contact cement. I totally forgot it eats styrofoam away and it did eat this away. Once it was done i got to looking and realized it was a good looking weathering for cements and rocks. makes them look almost what rock would look after years apon years of erosion. Just thought i'd throw that out there. I am definately gonna use this again when I do a ruins dio.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
So I had a little error with this stuff that pleasantly turned out ok. What I did was try to glue an eave onto a building face with contact cement. I totally forgot it eats styrofoam away and it did eat this away. Once it was done i got to looking and realized it was a good looking weathering for cements and rocks. makes them look almost what rock would look after years apon years of erosion. Just thought i'd throw that out there. I am definately gonna use this again when I do a ruins dio.

Spray paint propellant does this too, to a lesser degree. :)

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
fantastic work! the tutorial is really good but not for those with two left arms...

Does anyone accept commisions for doing such an urban enviroment? I am going to need some for my dio-story and since I am not capable of making them, I am willing to pay...

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
fantastic work! the tutorial is really good but not for those with two left arms...

Does anyone accept commisions for doing such an urban enviroment? I am going to need some for my dio-story and since I am not capable of making them, I am willing to pay...

You should try it. It's really not that hard. Just takes patience. Start with just a simple brick wall, see how you do and get fancier from there.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

You should try it. It's really not that hard. Just takes patience. Start with just a simple brick wall, see how you do and get fancier from there.
^^This.

Although, being left-handed, if I had 2 left arms I'd get twice as much shit done, so that'd be awesome in my case. $20 investment, and as long as you have space to work, you should get your money's worth out of it with just a few simple tools.