Tutorial: Creating Dio Walls from Foam

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
My first attempt at trying Rex's method. I did not use the same material though. I wanted to practice with what I had first. I did these out of the hard coated drop ceiling tiles. My next attempt will be red bricks if I can find the patience for it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I had plans to do it a month ago then shit fell through. Probably not this weekend as we just got back from being gone for 3 weekends straight, so I'm prolly just gonna chill. Soon, hopefully, as it's all done now for the most part.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i got my walls/road/sidewalk done, i just need to add details (the hard part)...not sure where to get them or what to use...its almost to the point that i suck it up and eat the $8 cost of that hydrant...

wish i had access to a color printer so i could print some of the cool stuff in the links you guys posted in the dio parts thread...

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I am just now taking some time to read and review these dio ideas, Rex, and have to say that they are incredibly helpful to see.

Thanks for posting this!

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
Incredible, well documented and highly recommended tutorial.

Now to have the time to look for these foam boards locally, plus acrylic paint in large quantities. :)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
wish i had access to a color printer so i could print some of the cool stuff in the links you guys posted in the dio parts thread...

I'll have to print you a set or two and put it in your POL. :) Isn't it about time you hit "ship my loot!" Haha, man, I suck. Just don't give me too bad of feedback when I finally ship your lot!

I am just now taking some time to read and review these dio ideas, Rex, and have to say that they are incredibly helpful to see.

Thanks for posting this!

Incredible, well documented and highly recommended tutorial.

Now to have the time to look for these foam boards locally, plus acrylic paint in large quantities. :)

Thanks fellas, I was glad to document it and hope it came in handy to some folks. It started out as a trial-and-error thing and just worked out.

I need to finally post a dio, I've been putting it off forever! This thing has been done for a few months now! *Grumble at myself*

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Isn't it about time you hit "ship my loot!" Haha, man, I suck. Just don't give me too bad of feedback when I finally ship your lot!

I need to finally post a dio, I've been putting it off forever! This thing has been done for a few months now! *Grumble at myself*

noticing a trend here...seems maybe you a procrastinator? :D

nah, i kid...lifes already packed with so much sh!t to do...and when you finally get a second to breath, that last thing you want to do is fill it with more stuff to do...not to mention naggy women...:rolleyes:

Hey guys,

I just registered on this site because of THIS thread! I found a link to it via Google and I decided to join. I am familiar with many of your names since I am also on Hisstank, JoeDios and Joecustoms!

Mandingo Rex, you get massive props for your mad skills! Thank you for your inspiring works, your dedication and generosity for sharing! I think you have bumped this hobby forward with this technique! Thanks!

I am totally going to try this out! Luckily, the have 42 sheets of extruded foam at my local Home Depot, so I can grab some and start this tonight!

thanks,
JLT

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
you guys are lucky...i'm guessing because its colder climate here that they don't even bother to carry the 1/2" stuff

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The 1/2" is easier to work?

I imagine 3/4" and 1" are really far too thick.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, look for the 1/2" if you can find it. I imagine the thicker board would work wonders for making terrain and mountains though. If I had a bigger space to work, I'd be making larger displays like mountain faces and rock formations and ruins.

For the time being I'm stuck in an apartment with limited working space and storage. You'd need a hot wire cutter or something more industrial than a boxcutter and Dremel to cut and shape the bigger stuff.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Btw, welcome JLT. Hopefully this comes in handy for you and others. I can only take the credit for making the tutorial from a novice's standpoint, and documenting it for the 1:18th crowd here... Guys like SICDETH inspired me to even bother, and I just took techniques from other tutorials that I'd found from other scale modellers, who do waaaay more impressive work.

The same principles apply though. Also, don't forget to check out the links in my first post for more examples of better modellers.

Thank you for the welcome, Rex!

Well, stopped at Home Depot on the way home from work and snagged 1 piece of foamular, a utility knife (extra blades, too)and a metal ruler. have enough of the other tools at home (from my old Warhammer 40K/Necromunda obsession).

I'm a little intimidated, but I have put things like this off for far too long! I will begin tonight working on my first project, which will be the front of a city building (to go with my Tech Deck Hollywood High steps & gate).

Wish me luck and I will be checking this thread for weeks to come!

JLT

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Welcome aboard Jack, just to warn ya. Rex style dios become addicting. Once you finish one, you are in it for the long haul. Don't be intimidated, It seems rough but it really isn't, just tedious.

Tedious, he says! I've been doing it for a few hours and it seems ok, so far.

Any tips on shaping the bricks and stone a bit better? I'm using a lil plastic rod and plastic toothpick and it's going ok, but I' not sure how to get the edges of the stone rounded as well as it looks in everyone's pics.

I'll be posting some pics tomorrow night.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
You could probably run a pen cap down the cracks. Maybe even the part that you would use to clip to paper.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I used a metal, flathead screwdriver that was the height of the bricks to punch the vertical lines... The parallel horizontal likes I did with the straight edge and blade or pin, depending on the effect I was looking for.

Hopefully that makes sense?

So after a few hours of cutting and carving, here's the results! I'm trying a city Brownstone type house for starters, so i can use my Tech Deck stairs!

I used a utility knife, a pen, a pencap, a plastic toothpick and a spoon to make the blocks for the building base. I wish the foam was a bit more forgiving, but it's pretty coarse. I though it would take shape easier than it does and it can tear VERY easily when going against the grain.

I might use the foil ball method to texture the top of the building, cut out the rest of the windows and then start painting! Wish me luck!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i found a really sharp razor, like Rex said, works best...or, use the tip of the blade and make a first shallow pass, then go deeper and deeper until yer thru

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
It really depends on what you're going for. I've had to use a mix of tools to cut it. If you're going "against" the grain, it sometimes rips, which is unfortunate. Luckily with brick, you can chip away at it and it'll just look work.

You may need to "score" the lines with a sharp blade first, then re-trace them with a metal pin or something so they get the right depth, but retain crisp edges.

Like I said, I have varied a lot in my methods with some trial and error, and usually the foam is forgiving enough for the final surface I was going for, but I sometimes have to add a little "damage" to hide some goof-ups. It'll only add character to the building honestly.

I recommend using the foil to go back and create some variance in the texture. The harder you press, too, will create "dents" and other blemishes that make it look more realistic.

Of course, it'll really come to life when you put the first coat of paint on it. That's when my worries finally came to rest, when I saw how good it looked with the paint. That's the real turning point, and I imagine you'll figure that out yourself. :)

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I too just hot up Home Depot for a sheet. Man that is a lot of foam for just $7.

I'm going to just do a simple hut as a "Desk Top Dio" for a first go at it.

I can already see some tall city building facades in the future which will also help with not having to worry about a sky in the background.

Rex your instructions are great.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Glad it came in handy, Rick. Can't wait to see what you churn out, of all people.

Yeah, if I had room, background facades for buildings would be great to have. I'd love to do at least a city block or 2 so that I could shoot from different angles and swap out buildings.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The challenge is getting outside corners without seeing the thickness of the foam, different texture and a seam. I tried to miter the corner. I will need practice for sure as this involves the skills of a sculpter. Wicked fun though.

Leatherman tool is helpful with it's file

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, I need some ideas on outside corners. Mitering sucks and leaves an uneven seam (with my skills anyways).

Has anyone built anything outside of a front facade that we can see??

Just putting the pieces against each other shows the thickness and a seam.

Otherwise this is fun stuff. Been practicing and hope to finally have my new modem to post pics.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
i tried to 45 it, but it came out awful...best you can do is fake the lines on the edge and butt them

More or less, this is what I do.

I did the same thing with the brick staircase that I made... Just draw the line work so that it visually extends. If you're assembling it permanently, just use the gorilla glue to hold the edges together, and after it's dried, THEN draw the lines and wrap around the corners.

If you're making them modular, get some small pins, like the ones that come in dress shirts (small straight pins) or get some black-tipped pins at an office supply store (the ones used to tack items to cork board) and run them through each wall at a 45 degree angle to lock them together for shots.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Btw, thanks Z. :)

Also, Rick, did you consider mitering in larger sections, so not by brick rows, but say, every 10-20 rows? All you need are some interlocking pieces. Once you fit the 2 together, run a balled-up piece of aluminum foil over the edges and corner, and it should help blend the seams together better. If you look at a lot of shittier old buildings, the corners are often chipped or not even remotely straight sometimes. You can also have moss and stuff to help hide seams too. Weeds are a bitch to old buildings.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I have not done outside corners myself personnally yet with MR's style, but have given it thought. My thoughts of it had been to do exactly what Rex had just said. Every 10-20 rows. My plan is than to make a rain spout, sewer pipe or even a few electrical lines to cover the seams so where they lock together is behind them. I think as long as spots of the seam are covered if you cant cover it all, it will still decieve the eyes of the viewer.