Head sculpt suggestion thread

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
R. Lee Ermy as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman?

Because we all want Sgt. Slaughter to choke himself. :D

A definite need.

I made a piece of headgear that I can now import onto any head model.

Here's a new take on Santini

and here's Pickney, modeled after David Niven who will serve as an alternate version of Alfred Pennyworth.

and here's the Nolan verse Alfred Pennyworth

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
David Niven as Pennyworth is a smashing idea.

Wouldn't mind a 1:18 Maurice Chevalier to make a rube out of 1:18 Channing Duke.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Had to send Shapeways a very critical email. The last two orders I've gotten were from this "Kegan" and have been utter crap. The first was manageable as you'll see the repainted Ethan Hunt in a while as proof. The Santinis I got this morning will require a ton of work and will lose a lot of detail in the process. I don't know if Shapeways has turn to a collection of small independently contracted print studios to meet demands or what, but I can't handle them putting out products at a 50-75% success rate. For about a year they've done really good work. I could tell they changed the support medium, and were taking a lot more care in their cleaning. Everything's running smoothly, I'm uploading a lot of work and like a punch to the gut, this took the wind out of my sales.

Add to it, I've been trying to get a copy of my MP9 (3rd gen) for awhile now, but they keep changing the rules on insignificant bull shit like sprue thicknesses.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
oh hell yeah!! you even made the mole perfect, damn you got skillz with the 3D programs. You can probably draw a face perfect and fast too, can't ya.

I spent a few years after college as a struggling comic artist trying to get a gig. Almost happened with Wildstorm, but fate stepped in.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
GB, you're killing me. Just placed another order!

Not to scare you....

Here's a photo showing my latest order to come in and why I have been going back and forth with Shapeways for the last 24 hours. They currently have no way for me to shut my store down until the matter is resolved, which is another fucking gripe I have. The painted ones are there just to show a comparison.

If your items come back in the condition of the one on the right, here's the customer service link.

http://www.shapeways.com/contact/contact_form_customer_service?email_to=service@shapeways.com

If they don't resolve it, contact me and I'll see if I can do something to resolve it.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me pictures and for the clear explanation.
I have created a formal complaint out of the issue. Your complaint number is *****. As soon as I have received feedback from our Production Team I will immediately get back to you.

Again, thanks so much for reporting this. Customer like you really help our business grow.

Best,
Kind regards,

I hate BS PR responses. And they still haven't corrected the issue I had this morning involving my jericho 941s I've been trying to print.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Is shapeways the only "real" player in the 3D printing game right now?

They're the only ones with a shop/order system as they're they only ones with reasonable prices. Everyone else is set up as prototyping companies with each model negotiated as a bid. If they aren't busy, you're essentially going to have to pay more than when they are busy. Shapeways is still relatively young with an experimental model so there's hope that eventually their staff of art majors will start to feel the pressure to alter their business model and increase their quality. When people can buy a Solidoodle for $500 right now, a commercially cheap alternative to their FUD material has to be around the corner.

When that happens, I'm leaving and doing this from home.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Their customer service is by far one of the worst I've dealt with for a company that has a customer service department. Still not resolved is this current issue, now they are rejecting my gun models because they are mislabeling trigger guards as "wires" which is their term for pieces that are supports.

Here's a comparison of the faulty headsculpt they sent me.

Out of boredom, I decided to clean it up and here it is now.

On the other front, I completed two sets of knives. One is a boot knife set that I'm hoping will fit perfectly in the right calf of the basic trooper figure. The other is a set of stun knives from MG4. That set has a sheath that fits in the right thigh slot, a sheath for the left, and two copies of the sheath that should fit in the right calf slot.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I have received feedback from our Production Team.
They want to offer you their apologies and believe that it seems like there has been some paper tissue where the models were wrapped in stuck on the models while in cleaning.
I have issued re-print for the products. Your new number is #******* and as soon as they go into production you will be notified by e-mail.

Kindly,
Kind regards

Yep, "kindly, kind regards"

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
That's awesome.

Anyways, it took about a week and all they did is say sorry and that they'll try again. This is probably okay for the average customer but this doesn't address my concerns that I clearly described in my emails. I told them specifically, that I don't want compensation, I want them to find the issue and correct it because they're currently operating at a 75% success rate. I told them all it takes is ONE bad batch to be sent to a customer and then hardly no one would ever buy from them again. I didn't tell them this basically already happened, but I did tell them this hurts the business of the artists who set up with them.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Have another suggestion. New Lara Croft from Tomb Raider reboot. Anyone have any ideas for this? Her hair is in a ponytail, but there's a bunch of hair around her face that's fallen out of it and hanging down...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I dig that second one...the first looks more muslim, but I'll admit my knowledge of the ninja culture is nothing more than what I've learned from JOE...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The "muslimy" one is based on a ninja from about 800 years ago. I like it but I've got to enlarge it.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Got my shipping notification from Shapeways today. I originally placed the order on 4/9. Since it seems they didn't rush it, hopefully I won't have to do too much maintenance work on them.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Got my order in yesterday. 2 of them came out great (Chuckles and Nathan Drake), but the sculpts on the sprues I got (The 'Nok sets) had some issues. The issues mainly had to do with the texture not being smooth in parts, but in the case of Heartwrencher, she was missing an eyebrow ridge. I'm going to prime them today and see how they look with actual paint on them and see if it helps.

I wander if the ones on sprues have a greater propensity to not be as smooth as the ones that are done by themselves?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Some of the best results were on sprues and some of the worst were not. I don't think it really matters in the end.

I had a similar problem with an Ethan Hunt sculpt I did. First time I painted it, it looked horrible. Before the paint cured, I used alcohol to strip off the paint and start over. I noticed when I wiped off the paint, it had filled into these imperfections and when I repainted it, it looked 1000x better.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Some of the best results were on sprues and some of the worst were not. I don't think it really matters in the end.

I had a similar problem with an Ethan Hunt sculpt I did. First time I painted it, it looked horrible. Before the paint cured, I used alcohol to strip off the paint and start over. I noticed when I wiped off the paint, it had filled into these imperfections and when I repainted it, it looked 1000x better.

Shapeways seems to want to blame it on your sprues. I sent an inquiry and told them about the issues some of them had and asked if I could pay the difference and just get them individually, instead of on the sprues. Here was their response:

APR 22, 2013 | 10:54AM CEST
Mitchell Jetten replied:
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for reaching out to us.
Unfortunately the loss of detail and roughness is caused by the technique used for 3d printing Frosted Ultra Detail.
One of the sides will have support material stick to the model which is used to print your model.

Unfortunately we cannot change the design of the Biker pack as we are not the designer of the model.
Shapeways only 3D prints the models which have been uploaded by independent designers.

I would like to ask you to go to the model on the website and click on the Contact Designer button.
This way you will be able to contact the designer directly and ask him if he is able to upload the model without the sprues.

Again my apologies for the inconvenience.

Best,
Mitchell
Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Agent
www.Shapeways.com

Mind you, Mitchell didn't even answer my question, but he wasted no time in blaming the problem on your sprues. I believe you when you say that you've had good results from some of them on the sprue, and am not trying to say that you're mistaken. Just letting you know what Shapeways is telling people.