Marvel: Phase Three

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I'm sure it's a possibility. Both good and bad will count.

I'd start listing the ones we know now, but I doubt many care.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Keeping him a surprise is kinda dumb. Promoting him could mean the difference in someone going to see the movie or not. *shrugs* Not my problem.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Maybe possibly, but they're probably banking on the word-of-mouth advertising to the non-geeks being more of a boost to 2nd-wknd sales than trailer advertising would be. It's not like the flick isn't going to be a hit without Spidey in the trailer.

That's the good thing about the MCU execs; they're more concerned with everyone having a good time at the theater instead of trying to put the whole movie in the advertising in a desperate attempt to get every single dollar possible.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I do like that their trailers don't typically give away too much of the movie. Most of the trailers are the same stuff over and over just slightly tweeked or the same footage just reorganized. One of my biggest pet peeves with trailers is them showing way too much.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us[/ame]

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
His costume...eh. I do like the "fat spider" on the back, though.

I love that move BW does by grabbing one and kicking the guy behind him.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
In regards to whether or not SM's suit will evolve...

"Without question. We like making strong choices with characters so while this might be a slightly more traditional, Steve Ditko influenced suit, it is certainly in our vocabulary to develop it into something more extreme as the storytelling requires.

Ugh. Just keep it simple guys. :grumpy:

Also in regards to end credits scenes...

“We can’t say who is going to be in it, but we can say that there certainly could be one, or two, maybe three. We can confirm that you should stay sat in your seats when the movie is done.â€￾

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know enough about the character to say, but this one doesn't feel "right". So far all the MCU films have "worked", but this one may go off the rails.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
With the exception of the sex change charactor, this is exactly what I was expecting.

Dr Strange is like most 2nd teir properties, its more nitch character either you like it or its not for you.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Marvel has yet to really deliver a flop. Even their weaker entries entertained me and I left the theater still happy. DC can't even get a single film right. I'm leaving it up to track record to ease my worries about Doctor Strange, and I couldn't give a fuck about the character. I know zilch, but I have a feeling it'll kick ass.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm still in awe of what they've managed to do using practically none of their A-list properties. I'm also in awe of DC having their entire roster available and they can't get anything that isn't a standalone Batflick right.

Seriously, at this point Warner Brother's should be hiring Marvel Studios to do it.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Marvel has yet to really deliver a flop. Even their weaker entries entertained me and I left the theater still happy. DC can't even get a single film right. I'm leaving it up to track record to ease my worries about Doctor Strange, and I couldn't give a fuck about the character. I know zilch, but I have a feeling it'll kick ass.

This is the best way to go in to it. I know some about the character, but won't let that jade my feelings of the movie. Damn near none of the MCU films have been spot on to their comic counter parts, and that's what I like. We don't need a direct translation from book to screen. It'd be boring.

And, once again, I could care less about the casting of Tilda Swinton. If the character captivates me, I'm good.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think Tilda Swinton is pretty all right, so I not gonna count her inclusion against the film.

25 year-old memories of cards like these are pretty much the long and short of my knowledge of Strange, though I do know he's be a big part of the Infinity War story.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
That's about the length of my knowledge as well. I know his origin, and his powers, but that's about it. It'll be a trippy flick for sure.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With the exception of the sex change charactor, this is exactly what I was expecting.

Theres a race change tossed in there too.

I know nothing about Strange either, but like you said, Marvel has earned our trust that they will deliver something that is, at the very least, entertaining.

DC on the other hand offers up only trepidation when they release a new film.

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of magic/supernatural type movies (the Thor films are lowest on the totem pole for me), but i have a feeling this will deliver. The "time and space" stuff looks especially interesting.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The Thor films are some of lowest one all around really. They have their fun moments.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The Thor films are some of lowest one all around really. They have their fun moments.

Yeah, and out of the gate I figured Thor could be up for the lesser film rankings simply because of the magic junk. It's just too far removed from our world, and he's almost too powerful (being too powerful is one major problem I have with Superman, and one hurdle I feel like they will never tackle and get right with the current WB management) to really worry about Thor being in danger or at any real risk.

But I feel like the way they did it, by splitting up time on Asgard and Earth, and adding just enough human element that it stayed attached to our world, while giving Thor mythical/powerful gods to fight who could in theory best him (even if it's just combined powers overpowering him) is the reason that it's worked... but kept him in the crappier rankings.

But Marvel does genius, out-of-the-box shit, like get Kenneth Branagh to direct a Thor flick, and getting Sir Anthony Hopkins to be Odin, that makes up for even their weaker selections.

Getting a fairly-unknown, young-and-perhaps-risky actor to play Thor was a wise choice in casting for the overall haul with the lineup the MCU had on its plate, and then getting a seasoned star like Cumberbatch to play someone like Doctor Strange is some of the smartest casting I've seen for a franchise. He's already got a bit of a cult following, and he's a hell of a talent. And Strange is a third-stringer at best as far as the general public cares, but the name of the actor will draw in folks where the character itself wouldn't. And the performance will deliver, I have no doubt.

I think it'll be way better than either Thor film at the very least, due to several things. It's got a solid actor in the lead, along with strong supporting cast. It looks to tackle a new angle of the MCU (that Ant-Man treaded very-so-lightly into last fall but opened the door for Strange). It's already established that magic and other non-linear worlds exist and that this is all just "a science we don't understand" thanks to Thor and the Tesseract, Avengers, and GotG, and allows for a character rooted in the "real world" to really expand the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a much broader angle.

Really, I had my doubts early on that they could get the MCU as big as it is now, but after about a dozen films, I think they damn well know what the fuck they're doing, and they've handled storytelling and world-building at a smart pace. Unlike DC, cough. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
DC Is trying to do it all backwards really. That's their problem. They did the solo film (MOS), then went on to an 'ensemble' cast/team. That's not how it works. You have to have people committed to the characters you're bringing together first, THEN you throw something big at them. Imagine this. We get MOS, a solo Bat-flick that introduces Victor Stone, with a tease of Supes at the end, A Wonder Woman film that introduces Aquaman, and THEN the BvS style film that brings them altogether to fight an ultimate evil like Doomsday. No one cares that Supes is dead in the second film in the DCU because it's obvious he won't stay that way. There's no sense of peril from it. You need that to tug at the audience more.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Been watching Marvel's youtube specials about Cap 3. I am really looking forward to seeing it. I hope I'm not getting my expectations too high, but man, it has a ton of potential for awesomeness. 'Course I'm supposed to be getting lasik the day before it drops, so I will have to avoid spoilers for probably a week or so. Good news is it'll be the first flick I get to watch with my new eyes... :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So far, the critics that got to see pre-screenings are giving it rave reviews. Considering that they are usually the harshest, thats good news.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here ya go.

Vulture looks ridiculously cool. Can't believe they left the fur/feather collar AND made it look super cool.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzXIaTt99U[/ame]

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Lest general audiences forget that, yes, Spider-Man is in the MCU.

Sony - "We gave you S-M, we BETTER get someone in return!"