G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

jersey john

Mar 13, 2018
it’s not something I’m ever gona get into. I love 3 3/4 because I love vehicles and dios etc, but I’m glad people are enjoying them and I’m happy to see joe product back on the shelves. It’s been too long. As long as they keep putting out movies I’m pretty confident they won’t forget the line that got them there.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
After living with Dung Beetle (I shit you not, Duke is in the Wally World system as Dung Beetle) for a while, I think I'm gonna give the line a pass.

Probably closer to true 1:12 than practically anything else on the pegs here. We don't really do 1:12, we do a vague 6" scale, where a 5'8" IRL female wrestler stands as tall as Duke, and who are both taller than the figure of 6'2" IRL Bill Murray.
I'm not particularly fussed about "true" 1:12 scale. The vexing part is that Hasbro makes Star Wars Black, Joe, and Marvel Legends... and they're all a different scale. If these were coming from 3 different companies, I'd at least say that they interpret 1:12 slightly differently, but in what level of hell does the same company make three differently scaled 6" lines? That's some Mattel-level stupidity right there.

• Angry
Reactions: NSA

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So have these made it to actual Wally mart shelves yet, or has everybody just ordered them online?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
They have made it to *some* WM and Target stores. I have not personally seen any, but I've been in a retail store exactly once since March, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. But I'm confident that the scalpers selling me troopers on ebay have found them in actual target stores. The rest of my figures have just come straight from Pulse and Amazon.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
What are these "troopers" of which you speak?

Edit: I found them and Beachhead on ebay. I have only seen the regular wave 1 & 2 figures. What else from this set am I not aware of?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Dang, I hope these actually populate the shelves because they are pricey on the ol' E for everything bay.

I was just thinking SE and Scarlett. Now I'm leaning toward them plus BH, Baroness and a trooper or two. Yeesh!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That's how they get ya'!

Don't sleep on Destro, easily the best figure of the first wave. He will get extremely pricey soon.

Also, the Hasbro website basically teases the next several waves by highlighting certain Joe/Cobra characters using box-art/designs for the already announced figures. I'm excited at the prospect of Flint, Lady Jaye, Dusty, Ripcord, Wild Bill, etc... and of course, Zartan and Dreadnoks.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not particularly fussed about "true" 1:12 scale. The vexing part is that Hasbro makes Star Wars Black, Joe, and Marvel Legends... and they're all a different scale. If these were coming from 3 different companies, I'd at least say that they interpret 1:12 slightly differently, but in what level of hell does the same company make three differently scaled 6" lines? That's some Mattel-level stupidity right there.
They couldn't bother to maintain a cohesive scale between lines when they had Star Wars, Marvel and G.I. Joe running in 4".

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's how they get ya'!

Don't sleep on Destro, easily the best figure of the first wave. He will get extremely pricey soon.

Also, the Hasbro website basically teases the next several waves by highlighting certain Joe/Cobra characters using box-art/designs for the already announced figures. I'm excited at the prospect of Flint, Lady Jaye, Dusty, Ripcord, Wild Bill, etc... and of course, Zartan and Dreadnoks.

So you think they'll make all those figs? I need to hold out for only my absolute favs, or I'll be running out of shelf space again... and Beachhead isn't even on that list. :wtf:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Maybe, but that's a new site they just put up in the last couple of months IIRC. It's not like it's old data from a previous line. It's hard to imagine that the characters listed aren't on the *likely* roadmap for the line.

Barbecue is the only character on the Joe list that I'm indifferent toward. He was always a lame inclusion in a military special missions force. If you need a fire-man in a bright orange suit with a backpack full of water on your mission, you f#$%ed up.

I just hope we see other members of the O13. I need a Flash/Grand Slam mold and a Clutch figure.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think BBQ only really worked if you owned a USS Flag... I'm going to have to work on a list. Apparently Tarjay is supposed to get their exclusives on the 14th.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The 14th was the original plan. But stores got them in late July and some stores started selling them willy-nilly. Then Hasbro said that the street date for stores was the 1st, but for their online store, it's still the 14th. But now there are still stores that are sticking to the 14th. It's a cluster, and it's a total crap-shoot if you can find them on shelves now and whether or not you can talk the register lady into ringing them up when she gets an error from the system that didn't get the memo. It was botched from the get-go.

Also, the Cobra Island exclusives come in solid cases, not mixed. So you have to basically be standing there when the case of 6 troopers gets set out, otherwise they're off to ebay. I don't have a Target closer than 35 miles and it's not in my regular path, so I knew there was zero chance of me ever finding a trooper. That's why I held my nose and bought a few on ebay. I hate overpaying for stuff, but this is one line I'm not taking chances with.

BBQ was basically a red-shirt in my epic bedroom floor battles. He, Airtight, and Bazooka were always the first to die. Good riddance. Stupid Bazooka, the Jar-Jar of GIJoe.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, BBQ was a bullet magnet for me, but usually survived due to his “bulletproof” helmet and frame thing on his shoulders. :p

I’ll have to swing by my local department stores and see what I can find. I’m much more interested in BH over the trooper, especially if there will be various Vipers coming in the near future. If they follow through on the characters on those pages, I’ll have more than enough choices to fill my shelves and empty my wallet.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Dang, I hope these actually populate the shelves because they are pricey on the ol' E for everything bay.

I was just thinking SE and Scarlett. Now I'm leaning toward them plus BH, Baroness and a trooper or two. Yeesh!
I kept SE and Scarlett because they are fun and show the perks of the bigger scale. The rest just do not do it for me. I actually found the whole wave at WM. Seeing the future stuff that isn’t Cobra Island Target stuff really cemented my stance to opt out.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So what is that? Winter Warfare Scarlett with armored up Diego from Ice Age?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That speeder is epic! Here's hoping you get some good snow for the dio!

Well, I am really just hoping to get some cool versions of some of my favorite old figures from back in the day. I'm pretty sure that 6" versions of any of my favorite Joe vehicles would be either too bulky, too expensive or both.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I kept SE and Scarlett because they are fun and show the perks of the bigger scale. The rest just do not do it for me. I actually found the whole wave at WM. Seeing the future stuff that isn’t Cobra Island Target stuff really cemented my stance to opt out.

So what is that? Winter Warfare Scarlett with armored up Diego from Ice Age?

Looks like Fortnite to me. This line is all over the place from perfect ARAH Destro to Ice Age Scarlett. Way too i consistent for me.

You'd be right... except you've been duped by FAKE NEWS (shame shame). The drawings you linked have been confirmed to NOT be future Classified stuff but rather random designs done by one of the sculptors years ago for another project (that clearly went nowhere).

If the line's not for you, it's not for you, no biggie. But don't ditch it because of sketches that have no bearing on what they're actually producing.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You'd be right... except FAKE NEWS. The drawings you linked have been confirmed to NOT be future Classified stuff but rather random designs done by one of the sculptors years ago for another project (that clearly went nowhere).

If the line's not for you, it's not for you, no biggie. But don't ditch it because of sketches that have no bearing on what they're actually producing.
Wave 1 Roadblock is every bit as outlandish and garish as that Scarlett. Heck, Wave 1 Scarlett is too, but it looks great on her to me, but not to many others. I’m not jumping in on $20 figures that have zero display value for me and have proven to be wildly inconsistent with aesthetics. You notice Cobra Island reversed course in the Fortnite costumes, so there is hope. I do not want straight up 80’s Joes in 6” because the detailing is not made to be blown up and Destro is a boring AF because of it.

Vehicles are really going to be ridiculous with the cartoon style.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Also, the Cobra Island exclusives come in solid cases, not mixed. So you have to basically be standing there when the case of 6 troopers gets set out, otherwise they're off to ebay. I don't have a Target closer than 35 miles and it's not in my regular path, so I knew there was zero chance of me ever finding a trooper. That's why I held my nose and bought a few on ebay. I hate overpaying for stuff, but this is one line I'm not taking chances with.
I find Popfindr works pretty well for Target. No dice on any Cobra Island figures at mine, though I did see Roadblock last week. The two biggest b&m retailers left in the country, and they're both window-licking retards when it comes to exclusives. How in the hell Game Stop manages to get this right, but Big T and Big W can't, is beyond me.

Yes, I am still pissed that I had to pay nearly $90 after shipping for NECA's Tokka and Razhar, all because the chucklefucks at Walmart can't grasp simple concepts.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Wave 1 Roadblock is every bit as outlandish and garish as that Scarlett. Heck, Wave 1 Scarlett is too, but it looks great on her to me, but not to many others. I’m not jumping in on $20 figures that have zero display value for me and have proven to be wildly inconsistent with aesthetics. You notice Cobra Island reversed course in the Fortnite costumes, so there is hope. I do not want straight up 80’s Joes in 6” because the detailing is not made to be blown up and Destro is a boring AF because of it.

Vehicles are really going to be ridiculous with the cartoon style.

Ok, I guess it's really not for you then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I would prefer straight-up ARAH designs with 6"-level detail, no modernization required. I think Destro is the bees-knees because he IS so close to his ARAH roots. IMO, he looks like a small Sideshow figure minus all of that ugly cloth. Clearly YMMV.

W1 Roadblock is easily the weakest figure in the whole line so far, we agree on that. But I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who has been planning to customize 6" joes out of MLs for years now. The fact that these exist is saving me a ton of time and effort ( I only wish I hadn't spent so much money on ML fodder in the last five years). Sure, some of them will require some paint or mild sculpting to get them exactly to my taste, but overall, it's easier than starting from scratch.

If you're expecting Hasbro to produce a modernized Joe line for mass retail that doesn't have at least some video-game influence to appeal to kids, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe down the road in some online-only collector focused line, but not mass retail.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Ok, I guess it's really not for you then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I would prefer straight-up ARAH designs with 6"-level detail, no modernization required. I think Destro is the bees-knees because he IS so close to his ARAH roots. He looks like a small Sideshow figure to me without all of that ugly cloth. Clearly YMMV.

W1 Roadblock is easily the weakest figure in the whole line so far, we agree on that. But I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who has been planning to customize 6" joes out of MLs for years now. The fact that these exist is saving me a ton of time and effort ( I only wish I hadn't spent so much money on ML fodder in the last five years). Sure, some of them will require some paint or mild sculpting to get them exactly to my tase, but overall, it's easier than starting from scratch.
I totally respect that.

I’m coming from the stance of I sold all of my 25th Joes and do not need a new line to fill tubs with. I love JoyToy figs to pair with my $800 1:16 hyper realistic RC tanks. I was super excited for the coming Vintage collection until I saw they were just repackaged 50th Joes and that actually drove me to go buy a dozen of my favorite ‘82-‘85 o-ring Joes the past 2 weeks.

6” video game Joes hold zero nostalgia power over me and at $20 per fig are just not economical for me to collect. I only bought the 6” Luke and speeder for my Christmas display because Ewok got them at cost for us.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I will make room to display them... somewhere... I already don't know where to put the giant snow speeder. And that's just my office. You guys have already seen the closet with the MOC stuff... And I already need a new space for the MOTUC collection. I've got a MIB Grayskull still needing to be opened.

Then again, in a few short years, the kids will be out of the house and the kid's tv room next to my office will become the home theater, and I suspect it will get it's own displays of toys and comic art.

IMG_20200809_145812_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145842_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145402_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145447_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145305_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_144925_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145012_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_145744_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_20200809_150056_resize_resize.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_145744_resize_resize.jpg
    IMG_20200809_145744_resize_resize.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 0

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The funny thing is that Hasbro almost had me. After ordering Duke and Scarlett from Amazon, I rushed out and bought the rest at WM and sat excitedly logged into Target for the Cobra Island preorders. Once the troopers were ripped out of my cart when I hit checkout only 60 seconds after the sale started it gave me a jolt of reality. This Classified line is 50% exclusive and that 50% happens to be the ones I actually like. So fuck you Hasbro, I’m 45 and not in it for the chase. I can live without. I had not held an o-ring Joe in my hand since middle school and that feeling that washed over me when I opened up Grunt could never be replaced by 6” Joes of any style. I guess I should thank Hasbro for disappointing me to the point of rediscovering what made me love Joe to begin with.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I will make room to display them... somewhere... I already don't know where to put the giant snow speeder. And that's just my office. You guys have already seen the closet with the MOC stuff... And I already need a new space for the MOTUC collection. I've got a MIB Grayskull still needing to be opened.

Then again, in a few short years, the kids will be out of the house and the kid's tv room next to my office will become the home theater, and I suspect it will get it's own displays of toys and comic art.

View attachment 13565
View attachment 13566
View attachment 13562
View attachment 13563
View attachment 13561
View attachment 13559
View attachment 13560
View attachment 13564
View attachment 13567

The new baby claimed my toy office, so everything is in tubs now. I’m definitely envious of those with space to play. That’s why I bought a couple ThreeA Transformers for the living room and stuck a few Lego/Mega sets in a curio at the top of the stairs. It’s all I get to keep out for now.

I’m looking at this gigantic speeder and can’t figure out an easy way to hang it due to the shape of the wings. Fishing line has no place to secure it. Unfortunately it’ll be in a box next to the AT-AT by the end of the week, patiently waiting for Thanksgiving to end.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm tempted to drill a few 1/16" holes in the speeder to slip fishing line through. But the problem is, I've learned from hanging my BBI jets in the garage that if you hang them low, they're in the way, and if you hang them high, you just stare at the underside. Even tilting them only marginally helps.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Wow, Nacho! That's some serious collection! As for hanging the larger stuff, you are absolutely right, you gotta find that sweet spot. I wouldn't say I've perfected it, but I got all my BBI/21st/Merit aircraft at an acceptable height that keeps my home office functional and still looks pretty impressive to anybody stopping by for a look. Along with modest displays of the ground vehicles, McFarlane Mil figs and the smaller scale air and ground vehicles on a dedicated book shelf and atop the riser of my desk (and some decent patriotic and military artwork), it looks pretty sharp and uncluttered. It gives it a bit more museum feel than toy room.

As for the Classified figs, I only have limited space at my work office on a pair of shelves. I currently have one completely filled up with (smaller - 1:72 and down) scale aircraft, mostly on desk stands, and challenge coins. The other is only partially filled with a couple overflow aircraft/vehicles on stands, a few souvenirs from my travels and a few remaining Marvel Legends figs. (I gave most of my collection of those to my daughter, who still plays with them occasionally). So I'm hoping a few choice members of the Joe Class figs will reasonably fill up the remainder of the shelf... without turning into the 4 or so display cases (with probably 2 dozen figures in each) that my 25th Joes became. Yeah, I had a problem... :p

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Okay, at the risk of reigniting my previous overdisplaying tendencies (assuming they actually release nearly as many as they have been teasing), I picked up SE and Scarlett today at Walmart. I saw Duke twice, once at Walmart and once at Target, but decided that, while he's... okay..., I needed to keep my sickness in check, so sticking to plan A.

While there was a random Duke fig at Target, and their search/price equipment said they had them out on the shelves, there were no Beachheads (or any other figs) out. I asked an employee there and he said they won't be on the floor until the 14th... tomorrow... the release date... which in my mind was today. So, I'm disappointed, but Snake Eyes looks great and Scarlett, not bad, especially at his side.

And there's something about them at 6". Maybe it's relative size to my size now vs. when I had them as a kid, but man, it takes/took me back. And they are a little easier to manage with my ham hands. Can't wait to get/unbox me a Beachhead!

Now I just need to find an excuse to go to Target again tomorrow, which is tough because I won't be at work and we never shop there anymore. Hmm...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Okay, at the risk of reigniting my previous overdisplaying tendencies (assuming they actually release nearly as many as they have been teasing), I picked up SE and Scarlett today at Walmart. I saw Duke twice, once at Walmart and once at Target, but decided that, while he's... okay..., I needed to keep my sickness in check, so sticking to plan A.

While there was a random Duke fig at Target, and their search/price equipment said they had them out on the shelves, there were no Beachheads (or any other figs) out. I asked an employee there and he said they won't be on the floor until the 14th... tomorrow... the release date... which in my mind was today. So, I'm disappointed, but Snake Eyes looks great and Scarlett, not bad, especially at his side.

And there's something about them at 6". Maybe it's relative size to my size now vs. when I had them as a kid, but man, it takes/took me back. And they are a little easier to manage with my ham hands. Can't wait to get/unbox me a Beachhead!

Now I just need to find an excuse to go to Target again tomorrow, which is tough because I won't be at work and we never shop there anymore. Hmm...
That’s exactly what I said while holding them. 6” feels exactly like 4” did in our 8yr old hands. It definitely brought back a memory or two. Definitely stick to your plan. I let the temptation allow me to buy the figures I was iffy on and the annoyances only grew.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I ran by mine as well and found those 2 plus the Duke I left there from yesterday. Their inventory system said there was more there, but they had either been hidden elsewhere in the store, stolen, or in somebody’s cart that hadn’t checked out yet. Guess I’ll be shopping filthy scalpers on evilbay unless somebody here happens across a Beachhead and would be willing to ship it to me (at my expense of course). Sucks that my fav is a Tarjay exclusive.

Edit: Nevermind evilbay. There are dozens of them at minimum double retail, up to over a hundred bucks. No effing way. Guess I’ll wait for the restock (if that happens) and try again then. Scalper douches... :mad:

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m just waiting until the initial rush ends before I even bother looking. I figure Sept will be more lucrative once the scalpers’ ebay accounts are clogged with unsold $50 figures.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Edit: Nevermind evilbay. There are dozens of them at minimum double retail, up to over a hundred bucks. No effing way. Guess I’ll wait for the restock (if that happens) and try again then. Scalper douches... :mad:
Wow, just checked prices and they have gone up substantially in the last couple of days. I must have hit the sweet spot when people still thought they were going to wait for retail. Now that the realization has hit that no one could find them yesterday, prices have jumped up another $25 per figure. No doubt I overpaid, but it seems cheap by today's going rates.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I’ll keep swinging by Tarjay as I’m in the area. My only concern with that is that they barely had any stock for the “big” drop date. There weren’t even a couple peg warmers hanging around (despite what the inventory tool said), just that one Duke. Not very confidence building.