G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Is it me, or did they sculpt Breaker's face to look just like Bradley Cooper?

1623984688391.png 1623984850794.png

Edit: just saw you links and Breaker is sold out. 🤬
If it's any consolation, the sheer numbers they had up for preorders suggest Target increased their buy from hasbro by a couple of orders of magnitude over previous CI exclusives. So hopefully they'll be substantially easier to find in stores or reasonably priced from ebay or 3rd party sellers.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I agree with you that it was nice that the scalpers apparently slacked off enough to let the pre-orders linger for a minute. I don’t know if it’s Target doing better, the scalpers losing interest because only some of the figs get top dollar (I hope they took a bath on the others) or if interest in these is lower than the previous exclusives. Strangely, I was happy to see empty pegs last night at the stores. It tells me that the line itself continues to remain in demand. Interest in the overpriced 4” line not so much. Still 5 or 6 Fang copters warming shelves at WM.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
pcs, that's great. I'm glad he's hooking you up. How is garrison these days?

Dan, I think it was a combination of target offering more for PO and limiting to 1/each per account. Either way, I'm happy that Joe seems to be getting into more hands at reasonable prices and less going to mouth-breathing, basement dwelling scalpers.

I've bought all of the 4" stuff for packaging nostalgia alone. After selling off my vintage MOC collection, I love seeing the classic artwork. If they make enough figures in the line, I'll be dedicating some wall space next to the japanese vintage Joe collection. The FANG copter is odd b/c I would have been happier if they'd sold it sans-pilot since that's the way it originally came. And the pilot resembles nothing from the classic era of the toon or comics, so he's baffling to me. It just screams, "I'm not vintage, just a lame copy with a weird new guy".

That being said, from what I read, the figures are hit-and-miss quality wise. The FANG pilot is supposedly a horrid figure that is soft and prone to breakage. But I bought an extra Stalker the other day to open because I liked the sculpt/proportions, and despite softer weapons, he's one of my favorite 4" figures ever, so who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I have to say the Retro line puzzles me. Like you said, some of the figs are pretty good and would fit right in with the 25th series - I’m thinking Stalker, Destro and Roadblock (and maybe the Cobra Trooper) - and some scream (pardon the pun) knock-off - looking at you, O-face Duke, plus Scarlett and LJ. The ladies are particularly disappointing, since they seemed to have pretty well mastered making them feminine, relatively attractive and functional multiple times previously - not so much with these.

I guess it’s that I expect more from them by now, considering we’ve seen pretty good versions of almost everybody between 25th, RoC, Resolute, Retaliation, PoC, 30th (was that a thing?) and 50th (did I miss any?). I would be more tempted by an “All Stars” (best of) version from all the previous series‘ than these recasts.

Also, I know you said you liked the retro artwork, I do as well, but I couldn’t display it if the fig version didn’t match the card art. My OCD would fuss every single time I looked at it. And, ditching the ARAH on the Retro packaging, not cool. I can tolerate it on a new version, but if they really want it retro, it’s not the same without it.

And then there’s the cost. Yeah, I know, I’m just ranting now. But even the 25th series figs started off less than $5, and they were better accessorized than these. We’re near triple the cost per fig now, with less to show for it. No way that Duke is worth the current price. Yes, I’m turning curmudgeon.

Ok, /rant off. Maybe I just needed to remind myself not to start collecting the small Joes again (been down that road). Hasbro’ s approach is helping me to fight it off fairly easily this time. I am genuinely pretty happy with the Classified series though. They have a lot of great details you typically don’t get with the 4” figs and have embraced (at least in part) the modernized Joes and Cobra that I’ve been hoping for. So I’ll stop complaining now 😝.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I agree that retro LJ is pretty "meh", but retro Scarlett is better IMO. They gave her more baggy utility pants rather than a skin-tight leotard thing, but it's the best face sculpt she's ever had on any figure hand's down. Many people agree and are buying extras so they can use the head with other bodies. Just check out secondary prices... the cheapest ebay buy-it-now on an unopened copy is $75. 😲

I do wish they had left the ARAH on the packaging (because screw the international market), but I love the big, bold, borderless '82-85 logo so much more than the tiny modernized type they used on the 25th, I'm willing to overlook that annoyance. It makes the 25th retro packaging look lame by comparison.

O-face Duke and the FANG pilot are clearly the duds of the line, while CC and Destro are just repacks I think. Roadblock looks like a scaled down Classified figure, and Snake Eyes is a repack of the Ultimate/50th version. Storm Shadow just flat out used the wrong mold for a retro line, choosing the hooded Renegade/30th/50th sculpt :whatever: rather than more classic Ultimate version.

Both retro and Classified lines are proving that the current captains of the franchise are not 100% well-versed in the history or the nuances and details that make or break a figure. Some are hits, while others feel like unforced errors. I swear, they need to hire a consultant over the age of 40 to explain some basic obvious shit.

Yet I also feel like they're improving, which gives me hope. Classified is already moving away from the video game designed they were aping in the first couple of waves as the team learns that it's old guys who grew up in the 80's buying these things, not their kids who didn't give the game a second glance. The classic stuff is classic for a reason, and it seems to be slowly sinking in.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Major Bludd is the savior of Classified series, once you glue his tags down and missiles on. I’ll buy any character I like from the past if they can live up to this standard.

Reactions: nacho

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have everything available retail that I want now. Hopefully I can trade for a Target BH and FF or snatch them during the July rerelease.

Attachments

• CFD580B4-32A1-4443-A737-DA3AF62B8A14.jpeg
    CFD580B4-32A1-4443-A737-DA3AF62B8A14.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 2

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That is a very well accessorized fig, and so true to the original! I just wish (and have always wished) he came with a trenchcoat or some other clothing disguise as well (maybe instead of the long rifle, bow & arrow and a couple of the masks), so it's not still, "Hey, who's the new guy wearing Zartan's crazy swamp biker punk clothing?"

Yeah, I'm never satisfied, but I see it as a realism opportunity missed.

That’s the word on the street.

1625148981115.png

I would love to pick up a serviceable Firefly and that glorious Viper for less than 2, 3 or 4x retail.

All: Please pop a flare here if you see them show up!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Zartan. I figured I wasn’t going to do better than $18 + shipping from Mercari. The quality of the mold/build outweighed the sheer oddness that is Zartan. Besides, without FF or Viper, my Cobra team is in need of some support :p. I’m afraid I’m beginning to lose my self control though... We’ll see what happens if the CI exclusives show up again...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m not a huge fan of Zartan other than the fact his ‘80’s color changing toy was the coolest thing ever, but the whole Dreadnaught's thing was never my can of Jolt Cola. I grabbed the 6” version and he is a big, dense boy, probably the Roadblock body. I like him, but he’s no different from the 25th 4” versions. Definitely not Major Bludd level of must own.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I agree. I did have him back in the day, along with just about all his henchmen, so I suppose I have a soft spot for him. He’s not as much improved as Bludd, but he’s very true to his original form.

Reactions: nacho

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I did get sucked into ordering a Tarjay trooper yesterday (free ship to store at least). You and your squad leader comment over in the other thread... :LOL: I guess it's akin to the trooper/officer thing back in the day.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Debating if I should try painting his logo silver for nostalgia.
Abso-f#$%in-lutely.

Give him an AK while you're at it. I even made a little officer "v" for his helmet out of thin styrene, and painted over most of the red on the armband.

Edit: I recommend tamiya silver. It goes on like butter, as opposed to the odd gloppy mess of model masters.

1625858977860.png

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Can you wield your dark magic and see how many they have in stock? I'm curious as to how many FFs they produced compared to the troopers and Vipers. As I mentioned in the other thread, I really think their botched release of FF last week caused a lot of people to pass him over.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
According to the folks on tfw that track such things, he's been going in and out of stock all week. I don't think people missed him because of the website nonsense, it's just that people don't army-build named characters, especially the one that deviates the most from his ARAH looks more than any other figure in the line. If I weren't willing to do the customization I did to mine, I'd be p-i-s-s-e-d at all that EOD gear. WTF Mattel!

He's a tolerable figure but far from the best the line has to offer, probably one of my least favorite as-is out of the box. If he was a regular release, he'd have been easier to find than Bludd. As always, scarcity has a real effect on desirability.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Can you wield your dark magic and see how many they have in stock? I'm curious as to how many FFs they produced compared to the troopers and Vipers. As I mentioned in the other thread, I really think their botched release of FF last week caused a lot of people to pass him over.
I’m not sure how to run a red sky query on my own, was just high jacking links a dude was posting.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
According to the folks on tfw that track such things, he's been going in and out of stock all week. I don't think people missed him because of the website nonsense, it's just that people don't army-build named characters, especially the one that deviates the most from his ARAH looks more than any other figure in the line. If I weren't willing to do the customization I did to mine, I'd be p-i-s-s-e-d at all that EOD gear. WTF Mattel!

He's a tolerable figure but far from the best the line has to offer, probably one of my least favorite as-is out of the box. If he was a regular release, he'd have been easier to find than Bludd. As always, scarcity has a real effect on desirability.
I'm planning for some minor tweaks, at least initially, like getting rid of the groin and shoulder pads. I'll see how he looks after that before deciding if I want to go any deeper. I'll stay on the lookout for grenade sashes too, and a decent modern sub gun. MP7 maybe? He at least has some good potential.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Oh, yeah! It’s gone ASAP! I had forgotten. No chance my FF is gonna be stuck with that mess.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I got my FF today. I removed the front and rear groin flaps, the shoulder guard and the collar. And... he’s looking mighty good! I did a pretty decent job for a novice if I do say so myself, and even managed to not slice myself with the dull, rusty exacto I keep in my pen mug at work! 😝

I’ll still keep an eye out for better weapons for him, but overall, he’s a favorite now. And now my Joes are outnumbered 7 to 5 and counting!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’ve been hesitant to trim mine since I was worried it would make him look extra fat without the groin flaps. Also, Duke’s sci-fi gun looks really good with FF if you are letting Cobra keep their zany guns like I am. Only the Joe’s are getting real world repacements.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Nah, it looks fine without the groin flaps (way better IMO). There's also a pretty good line to follow to remove the collar. It only took me maybe 20 minutes (as a complete novice) to make him 1000% better. Nacho has pics of his trimmed up FF up the thread.

I'm on the lookout for a non-variant Duke rifle for Flint. I always felt his shotty was very limited for him (as a team leader) unless the mission is CQB. I always gave him a spare M4 (Airborne's carbine) back in the day. The way I have him displayed now, he's got a pistol out with the shotgun ready, so he get's by, but I feel like he's under supplied.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
And... now I have a loose Destro on the way from Mercari...

It's happening again... It's happeniiiiiing!!!

I'm gonna need some more Joes to offset all the Cobras... Hasbro???

My... precious... :geek:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I mulled that for a minute, but ultimately decided it was just in the way.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I cut the collar right at the (fairly visible) intersection line where the "neck" and "shoulders" meet and down in the front to where the black straps terminate. I'm sure a seasoned customizer would put me to shame, but, if you aren't scrutinizing it, it's pretty hard to tell where I made alterations. And the vest actually looks pretty consistent with modern body armor. Overall, better than I could have hoped for.

I'm really glad, as you mentioned, the vest was molded in that grey (and thankfully pretty flexible) plastic. I was able to snip away any uneven cut edges with simple hangnail clippers, so most of the evidence of the cuts pretty much disappeared after that.