G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I got my FF today. I removed the front and rear groin flaps, the shoulder guard and the collar. And... he’s looking mighty good! I did a pretty decent job for a novice if I do say so myself, and even managed to not slice myself with the dull, rusty exacto I keep in my pen mug at work! 😝

I’ll still keep an eye out for better weapons for him, but overall, he’s a favorite now. And now my Joes are outnumbered 7 to 5 and counting!

I cut the collar right at the (fairly visible) intersection line where the "neck" and "shoulders" meet and down in the front to where the black straps terminate. I'm sure a seasoned customizer would put me to shame, but, if you aren't scrutinizing it, it's pretty hard to tell where I made alterations. And the vest actually looks pretty consistent with modern body armor. Overall, better than I could have hoped for.

I'm really glad, as you mentioned, the vest was molded in that grey (and thankfully pretty flexible) plastic. I was able to snip away any uneven cut edges with simple hangnail clippers, so most of the evidence of the cuts pretty much disappeared after that.
Any pictures? I am tempted to follow suit with this mod. I have slowly been doing some work on mine to make them more the way I want them and I like this idea...thanks

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Let me see if I can get my project work squared away by this evening. If I can, I'll try to post something.

(I'm assuming you saw Nacho's pics above)

Last edited:
Reactions: Slaymaker

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I decided to do it now since I'm not sure when I'll get done tonight.

(Zoomed way in so it picks up everything. Looks great on display)

1626971823988.png
1626971850812.png
1626971869105.png
1626971954485.png
Not sure why the one pic rotated. The only thing I would change if I were a legit customizer would be to make the grenades OD green.

Just got my notice that Destro is on the way! My Joes are about to be outnumbered 8 to 5... I wish Duke, Gung Ho and Roadblock were better figs...

Reactions: Slaymaker

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
If a picture taken on a cell phone rotates, to fix it,
1. click edit picture
2. rotate it 90 degrees
3. save
4. Redo but rotate it until its correct.
5. Then post the picture, something in the tags causes the error.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Just got my notice that Destro is on the way! My Joes are about to be outnumbered 8 to 5... I wish Duke, Gung Ho and Roadblock were better figs...
Variant Duke (i.e. sans gold) and upcoming Amazon Roadblock should help even things out a bit. Both of those are massive improvements to the original releases.

It feels like Hasbro is slowly getting the memo, as the more classic the decos and the better the distribution, the more well received the line is becoming. Making what people want to buy and making it actually available to them really improves business. Who would have guessed. :rolleyes:

Also, here's a fairly obvious hint about my next project... (insert evil laugh here)

1626980527303.png

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Let me see if I can get my project work squared away by this evening. If I can, I'll try to post something.

(I'm assuming you saw Nacho's pics above)
Thanks - I appreciate it and no - I totally missed Nachos pics...those look great as well. I do like the more streamlined looking tac vest he has once all the extra is cut away. There is a good chance I do that mod tonight!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Also, here's a fairly obvious hint about my next project... (insert evil laugh here)

View attachment 14919

Woo, ambitious! Looks like it's gonna be huge! Will definitely go well with your OG theme. Probably even more so if you get those cartoon-rific 7" figs!!!

Thanks - I appreciate it and no - I totally missed Nachos pics...those look great as well. I do like the more streamlined looking tac vest he has once all the extra is cut away. There is a good chance I do that mod tonight!

Yeah, a massive improvement that makes him look like the saboteur he is, and not a displaced EOD tech. Careful with your fingers and thumbs!!!

Adding camo to the vest after cutting away all the extra junk also helps hide any imperfections caused by errant/dull exacto work. The eye just glosses right over it.

As cool as FF's camo is, I really like the contrast of the flat grey/black vest with the camo duds behind it (not that I could pull of that paint job anyway :LOL: ).

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Nothing yet on mine. If I remember, it took the second go 'round (of the second go 'round) for me to score a Viper. I did get my Destro delivered. Will set him up after hours this evening. So... many... Cobras... :LOL:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I can't even get tracking to come up on mine. I'm hoping it'll just show up this afternoon. Otherwise, I likely won't get to open it for another week and a half.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That Trapjaw is the one I wanted, as I wasn't keen on the minicomic deco in a $10 skull (WTF, those suck). Roboto is cool (although they'll certainly come out with a better toy-deco for him too). Man-E-Faces is the star of the wave. Scareglow and minicomic Triclops... meh.

But yeah, I just bought sets b/c I have zero effort left to devote to hunting these little bastards.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don’t know what colors are correct and just recently realized I need to switch my Mossman and Triclops to the opposite factions in my display thanks to Revelations, so the skull figures were an instant buy. I’m just after the robot and man-e-faces.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I grabbed a 5th one so I could finish my squad. The big question now is what mods can I make to designate the leader like I did with the blueshirts? I could use one of the officer armbands. I could paint over some of the Viper red with silver. Not sure what would look best to really differentiate the dude in charge.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I got my Viper (just in time) today also. What an excellent figure! It’s right up there with my modded FF and Beachhead for top fig in the GI Joe Classified series IMO. I can‘t see buying another, but worth the wait... I guess. I suppose I’d buy a “squad leader“ or some other decent variant, but can’t justify another identical one. And I’m still not particularly happy that three of the best figs were mishandled Tarjay exclusives...