2015 Joe line

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm looking for at least 2 more GHs for custom purposes (need the torso and arms, specifically). You have no idea how fucking annoyed I am they shortpacked the fucker and put that gigantic tampo on it.

I won't need the vest on at least one of them, so I'd be happy to send someone the vest if I can find the spare GHs I want.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Who are you planning to beefcake up? Mindbender?

Mindbender. :)

But also Wildcard. I've had a custom sitting for 2 years that I just wasn't very keen on, so I stopped working on it. I'm trying to get my interest in customs piqued again to get my mind off recent shit, but it's not working so far.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Mindbender. :)

But also Wildcard. I've had a custom sitting for 2 years that I just wasn't very keen on, so I stopped working on it. I'm trying to get my interest in customs piqued again to get my mind off recent shit, but it's not working so far.

What are you going to use for a shirt on Wild Card? I was planning on using the Gung Ho body for him too.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
...and apparently the 3-packs have been sighted at TRU, according to HTers.

I think the only one I want is the one with the updated Zartan and Torpedo. (The HnR will be decent fodder material, too.) The rest are ass, especially the repacked 80's set and that stupid Blueberry Bright set with Bluezooka.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Found the "good" 3-pack tonight with Zartan and Torpedo, and also got the stupid Blue Boys set for the Firefly (specifically his gear).

That Bazooka and Dusty are a fucking waste of plastic. Why in God's name are they blue?!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Found the "good" 3-pack tonight with Zartan and Torpedo, and also got the stupid Blue Boys set for the Firefly (specifically his gear).

That Bazooka and Dusty are a fucking waste of plastic. Why in God's name are they blue?!

As I recall, it was along the lines of the designer thought he was being "outside the box".

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
As I recall, it was along the lines of the designer thought he was being "outside the box".

I'm considering using Bluzooka with the Cobra Arctic Assault figures. (With a head swap of course, and some webgear) because that's what he matches, not anything Joe.

That Dusty? Fuck if I know, I hate the entire figure save for his head and arms.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You'll have a (very) marginally plausible explanation for the color pallet, but not why the goober is running around the Arctic in a fucking football jersey. :trollface:

It's okay to admit those two figures are fucking garbage. At least you didn't buy the MASS Device-less pack. :D

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You'll have a (very) marginally plausible explanation for the color pallet, but not why the goober is running around the Arctic in a fucking football jersey. :trollface:

It's okay to admit those two figures are fucking garbage. At least you didn't buy the MASS Device-less pack. :D

Well I'd cover the chest with one of the various Resolute RB vests I've gotten over the years. But if I'm not mistaken, they simply used a 25th Roadblock torso for one of those goons originally.

And hey! I'm trying to turn lemons into lemonade! Hasbro's just making it tough as all hell these days.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I know that's right. I was greatly vexed to find out that Gung Ho's flak jacket is prone to tearing if you try to remove it. Gonna swing by Hastings and see if they have him, since my TrU is being a cunt.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I had no problem getting Gung Ho's flak vest off. In spite of the color, I'm a BIG fan of the vest. It's a really good M-69 flak vest. The only real problem is that it matches his muscle man hunch back - may need to use a hairdryer to fix that for regular figures. Nevertheless, those vests will upgrade many of my mechanized crewmen for my M-48's and M-113's.

I'm surprised at all the grousing over these figures. Would we prefer that Hasbro abandoned GI Joe altogether? Then we'd be left with poorly articulated Chap Mei, BBi Elite and World Peacekeepers. I hate ARAH Joes for all their unmilitary weirdness, but they're the best fodder for customizing and I can give the extras to my son.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I had no problem getting Gung Ho's flak vest off. In spite of the color, I'm a BIG fan of the vest. It's a really good M-69 flak vest. The only real problem is that it matches his muscle man hunch back - may need to use a hairdryer to fix that for regular figures. Nevertheless, those vests will upgrade many of my mechanized crewmen for my M-48's and M-113's.

I'm surprised at all the grousing over these figures. Would we prefer that Hasbro abandoned GI Joe altogether? Then we'd be left with poorly articulated Chap Mei, BBi Elite and World Peacekeepers. I hate ARAH Joes for all their unmilitary weirdness, but they're the best fodder for customizing and I can give the extras to my son.

Eh, the only piece I need from them at this point is something that will pass as jungle fatigue torso and trousers. Oh, and an SPH-4 or APH-5 flight helmet, though now that I think about it Hasbro wouldn't get it right. I'm a fan of GH's M69 after you get rid of the grenades.

And if you think Hasbro is putting any real effort into G.I. Joe you're mistaken.

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Shit like Dusty and Bazooka being colored blue for no reason drives me nuts.

"Oh jee whiz, what color should we make these two G.I. Joes? Green, tan maybe, perhaps some browns?"

"Nah, lets make them Blue. That'll look interesting, and they can blend into the night!"

"Um, but that's not how night-camo works and aren't most Cobras blue?"

"Who cares, collectors are retards who will eat this shit up regardless of logic. Besides we'll throw Firefly in just in case the slightly smarter ones were tempted not to bite."

"Point taken. While we're at it, lets make Croc Master bright red."

"BRILLIANT!"

Last edited:

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Shit like Dusty and Bazooka being colored blue for no reason drives me nuts.

"Oh jee whiz, what color should we make these two G.I. Joes? Green, tan maybe, perhaps some browns?"

"Nah, lets make them Blue. That'll look interesting, and they can blend into the night!"

"Um, but that's not how night-camo works and aren't most Cobras blue?"

"Who cares, collectors are retards who will eat this shit up regardless of logic. Besides we'll throw Firefly in just in case the slightly smarter ones were tempted not to bite."

"Point taken. While we're at it, lets make Croc Master bright red."

"BRILLIANT!"

To be fair, Croc Master is probably Python Patrol inspired, plus Cobra probably gave his Crocodile some delicious treats that turned him red too.

I think the 50th Chuckles came out fantastically. Been modding a bunch of the new figures cause I can. Will post pics here or in the workbench thread.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The problem with Croc Master is that he is a retail release at all. I don't give a good goddamn what "fans" say, CM and Blowtorch should have been FSS or con releases.

Blowtorch especially, as we had just gotten him AND he warmed pegs.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
The problem with Croc Master is that he is a retail release at all. I don't give a good goddamn what "fans" say, CM and Blowtorch should have been FSS or con releases.

Blowtorch especially, as we had just gotten him AND he warmed pegs.

It makes Blowtorch's smug face under the helmet more infuriating. I swear it'll be the last version I'll buy... I swears.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd bet Hasbro is already looking at doing yet another Blowtorch. Probably in a Tiger Force livery. :D

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think Croc Master's croc should have been a Jurassic Park croc. Weird red coloring with feathers

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm fine with the Croc Master and Blowtorch repaints. What we shouldn't have gotten were the POC slot-wasters or the Blowtorch yet again last year, or that awful TNT repaints in the FSS. At least these 2 are interesting, and I fucking can't stand Python Patrol.

What amuses me, is I've never really messed with the "Duke" disguise mask that came with Zartan till I opened the 3-pack version. That face sculpt is great! Why the fuck couldn't they have given us a decent vintage Duke with a head sculpt like that, and a better vintage Roadblock? Gah, the actual use of repaints doesn't bother me, it's when they're done poorly.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Eh, the only piece I need from them at this point is something that will pass as jungle fatigue torso and trousers. Oh, and an SPH-4 or APH-5 flight helmet, though now that I think about it Hasbro wouldn't get it right. I'm a fan of GH's M69 after you get rid of the grenades.

And if you think Hasbro is putting any real effort into G.I. Joe you're mistaken.

Don't we end up buying this stuff regardless of the logic? That's why we repaint things. ARAH was always gay, especially when it came to colors. I've been watching the ARAH cartoons with my son. Why is blowtorch walking around in the jungle in red and yellow? Why doesn't anyone wear winter clothing in the artic (with the exception of a tan parka - or a pea coat for shipwreck)? None of this stuff ever made much sense.

I never said Hasbro was putting much effort into this. What I'm saying is that the level of grousing surprises me. Would we rather they didn't produce anything? No one else is putting out figures with that level of articulation. I don't mind getting a dozen well scaled SOPMOD M-4's with M-203's, FN SCAR heavies or SMAW-D's. At least Hasbro decided - how ever many years ago - to make realistic looking chest racks, vests and weapons. The modern accessories beat the crap out of all the bizarre weapons from the ARAH days. Does anyone know why Footloose's M-16 was half the size of the standard M-16? Why is Rock 'n Roll's MG-2 the size of a .50 cal?

No one is producing what I want made, and it doesn't look like anyone ever will again unless the resurrected 21st Century does more than Lego type crap. So I gladly shell out the money for the well articulated Joes in the hopes I can modify them and paint them to suit my needs.

Besides, my son benefits when he gets the extras and he doesn't care if Shipwreck is blue or Gung-Ho is turquoise. To him, they're all invincible and fly through the air doing ninja crap - just like the cartoons.

I'm glad I can go to the store and buy these guys off the shelf. I keep what I want to use and give my son the rest.

GOLD5

The Unwashed
Aug 10, 2015
I thought the blue camo ones were supposed to be extensions of the movie line. It looks like a more vivid shade though.
They made that two pack with cock master so that then when the rest are sold out you can go to your local store and at least see that the wave had been there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I never said Hasbro was putting much effort into this. What I'm saying is that the level of grousing surprises me. Would we rather they didn't produce anything? No one else is putting out figures with that level of articulation. I don't mind getting a dozen well scaled SOPMOD M-4's with M-203's, FN SCAR heavies or SMAW-D's. At least Hasbro decided - how ever many years ago - to make realistic looking chest racks, vests and weapons. The modern accessories beat the crap out of all the bizarre weapons from the ARAH days. Does anyone know why Footloose's M-16 was half the size of the standard M-16? Why is Rock 'n Roll's MG-2 the size of a .50 cal?

I've seen plenty of scale fuck-ups on the modern weapons, too. The weapons are were I generally get the least use. Soft details or blatant scale issues on platforms I've no interest in. I'd say Marauder has that covered, but I've seen just as many questionable decisions there.

On the rest I snipped away, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.