Anybody still collecting SW on here?

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
I've just been so dissappointed in the new line up. Still 5 POA, and crappy figs.

Like the Rose figure.....

"Oh, I gotta have that action figure of a dumpy woman in a vomit brown jumpsuit !!"*

*Said no kid ever....*

"Oh, and there's another female pilot in a vomit brown jumpsuit...".

I love female action figures, but at least make them kinda cool looking.

Hasbro is in business to make money right ?. I don't get the total lack of color, and the severely under sized vehicles really put me off too. Kylo's new Tie Silencer is tiny, just like the U-Wing. At least the new ones don't fire Nerf darts...lol.

I work in the Toy Dept., and I see customers looking at the Star Wars stuff, complain about the prices, and they're not buying them. $200.00 for that new play set is insane...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've just been so dissappointed in the new line up. Still 5 POA, and crappy figs.

Like the Rose figure.....

"Oh, I gotta have that action figure of a dumpy woman in a vomit brown jumpsuit !!"*

*Said no kid ever....*

"Oh, and there's another female pilot in a vomit brown jumpsuit...".

I love female action figures, but at least make them kinda cool looking.

Hasbro is in business to make money right ?. I don't get the total lack of color, and the severely under sized vehicles really put me off too. Kylo's new Tie Silencer is tiny, just like the U-Wing. At least the new ones don't fire Nerf darts...lol.

I work in the Toy Dept., and I see customers looking at the Star Wars stuff, complain about the prices, and they're not buying them. $200.00 for that new play set is insane...
Rose and Paige were the only things offered that look like they're even remotely useful. I could easily integrate them into Joes or ARW if not for the shit articulation.

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
I don't get it. I really don't. You can't tell me that Hasbro can't afford to articulate their Star Wars figures for $8.00 each, when Lanard can do it for their $3.00 figures literally right across the aisle, and those $3.00 figures are a damned two pack.

I hated the fact that the Star Wars figures I had back in the day couldn't sit down properly or be posed, but the Joes and Cobras could, and all my friends thought the same.

I had a friend come over today to weld in a wrought iron gate into my fence, and he brought over his wife and 8 year old son. So I told him he could play with some of my figures and vehicles whilst they were waiting for his dad to finish. I asked him which figures he'd like to play with, and he picked out some of my Joes and Cobras, saying right out "Because I can move them more".

I know the Lanard King Kong sets kinda suck, but I gotta give them credit for including a articulated figure with weapons and equipment, a set piece, and a monster, all for $10.00.

And the Lanard figues really move at that price point. Where as most Star Wars figures pegwarm. We finally got rid of the last Zuvios at $1.00, and they still sat there for a loooong time.

The Marvel Legends 3/ 3/4 didn't sell at all until we clearanced them at $3.00 instead of $12.00. And we can't even get rid of the Titan series statues after marking them down to $3.00, no one wants them.

I think they really screwed up by not putting remote controls with the R2's and the new walkers instead of using "Apps" on phones/tablets. You can only download the Apps until next year. I've had customers refuse to buy them for that very reason. "What happens after a few years and I've changed phones...I gotta try and keep an old phone in working condition ?."

I sincerly hope they've learned their lesson, and that's why they're bringing back articulated figures. Everyone loves the great sculpting on the ones now, but hate the 5 POA. And the prices.....ouch.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hasbro has outright said that when it comes to 3.75 SW figures that 5 PoA has by and large tested perfectly adequate for the age group targeted by the line. Not sure why they're rehashing that CommTech gimmick from The Phantom Menace, outside of they think kids have to have SOME kind of action feature that doesn't relate to the figures actually being articulated.

Reckon we have to make do with the Black Series.

Last edited:

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
Hasbro has outright said that when it comes to 3.75 SW figures that 5 PoA has by and large tested perfectly adequate for the age group targeted by the line. Not sure why they're rehashing that CommTech gimmick from The Phantom Menace, outside of they think kids have to have SOME kind of action feature that doesn't relate to the figures actually being articulated.

As I said before, I don't get it. The funny thing is, they say that's fine for the age group they're targeted for. The kids do look at them, but all I see is adult collectors actually buying them, which few ones we do sell. The A-Wings flew off the shelf, but Kylo's Tie, the modded B-Wing, and that dippy Police skiff are just sitting there. And that BB-8 Playset, people see that price and just say "Nope." Not even to put it in layaway.

And I agree about that whole Commtech device back in the day, that went over like a wet fart. And I think this new gimmick will too. Who wants to have some dopey device actually strapped to your hand all the time to make your figures talk, and to make the vehicles make sounds.

Now if they could find a way to re-boot the old Fisher Price Adventure people, that I think would take off. Yeah, they were only 5 poa, but they were pretty inexpensive, and the stuff was just amazing. Outdoor sets, Space sets, Hell, even a news van. :

https://youtu.be/ZS0DG1eJiYs

https://youtu.be/Uz8Q9DADlCE

These guys were right up there with Lego in regards of no limit to the imagination. Kinda like the old Aventure Team G.I. Joe, but they were smaller, so many more vehicles and accessories. Male and female figures, and even children.

They say that the action figure market is dead right now, but I personally believe that's because they are trying to force them into established storylines, instead of making it so the children can make up their own adventures. Take Rogue One for example.... If the child has seen the movie, how can they have their figures go on more adventures, when they outright know everyone is dead.

Kind of a bummer.

And I was truly suprised they went that route. They could have had a few survive and find a remote system to run around in, hiding from the Empire.
I'm certainly not against dark movies; But they don't design toy lines for kids of them to make a profit. That stuff is for adult collectors.

I'm not even going to start on G.I. Joe. My Gawd, how to drive a profitable franchise right into the ground with shitty movie tie ins.... :wtf:

It's like they've totally forgotten that the main driving force is the incredible imaginations of children. It's those flights of fancy and creativity; the very reason while we're all toy geeks to this very day.

The Imaginext line is EXPLODING. I have a bunch for my own son.

I think that if the Power Team Elite series had a "villain sect" so to speak, and a decent show to tie in with it like the old G.I.Joe, it would explode too. What's the point of having an elite military force, that literally doesn't have anyone to combat against...? What's the point ?. :confused:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's like they've totally forgotten that the main driving force is the incredible imaginations of children. It's those flights of fancy and creativity; the very reason while we're all toy geeks to this very day.

Yeah, this right here is correct. But I'm not sure kids have the attention span or practice with their imaginations that we did. Video games, tablets, and 24 hour cartoons let them have anything they want instantly.

When we were kids, cartoons were reserved for a few hours on saturday morning, and maybe an hour in the afternoons if you could get home fast enough. We watched GIJoe, and if we wanted to "continue the adventure", we played with our toys and used our imaginations.

If my kids are into something and they want to continue the adventure, they cue up the next season on netflix or play the new game. The imagination is sadly bordering on obsolescence.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Point to Nacho. It saddens me to watch my daughter being so screen addicted. Thankfully I did not allow her to touch a screen until first grade and would get on the floor with her to play with her toys, so she will occasionally get stuff out and roll play with it.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My kids do love legos, and I really enjoy when they make their own stuff, not just sticking to the sets/directions. So they have some imagination... but for some reason, my kids are not interested in action figures much.

They do play in the floor, but it's... chaotic. The Mario Kart characters visit the lego Friends in the playmobil dollhouse and take a ride with the Angry Birds in the millennium falcon. It makes my head hurt.

I am President Business. :headinsand:

The only franchise-crossing of my toys would be that every adversary would take up residence in Castle Greyskull. Cobra, Decepticons, Skeletor, the Empire...didn't matter. But I did not mix franchises, as the scale differences and incompatible backstories prevented such nonsense. In the early days, Cobra would employ some stormtroopers to supplement the blueshirts, but they were just soldiers in white armor, not "Galactic Empire" stormtroopers. As a rule, Chewbacca did not drive the MOBAT or any crazy shit like that. Preposterous!

But I'm sure I wasn't the only kid with very specific/peculiar play-patterns ;)

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I mostly didn't cross streams unless I was playing D&D...when I did, anything remotely D&D'ish was mixed in.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I remember mixing toys based on scale when I was a kid, but it was troubling to do so at times. Star Wars is so weird and disconnected from any franchise that existed on Earth like Jurassic Park and GI Joe, to make things worse, the older Jurassic Park toys were more like 1/16 than 1/18. The two scales were doomed to mix though because JPIII toys were out right 1/18 (except for the dinosaurs, which were rarely to scale with anything because of the stupid fighting gimmick).

The most successful scale/Franchise mixing happened with Micro Machines, Lego, Zoids, and Gundam I feel. Micro Machines provided the back drop and small scale vehicles and people, the Gundam and Zoids toys provided the giant robots, and Lego could be used for almost all three roles (the Lego minifigues never got to be characters on the ground though).

Last edited:

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
I was going though my boxes of figures for my theater, and just for the heck of it looked at some of the going prices for all that I have. I was kinda bummed out that so many of the POTF figures I have are actually worth less now than what I paid for them.

Good thing about it is I guess, I won't have to feel bad about opening them up.

Seems like Star Wars figures keep going down, but G.I. joe figures continue to go up.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
EVERYONE collected the PotFII figures, so there are lots of them out there. I don't think there's a Star Wars figure produced since 1995 that has, or will have, any long-term value.

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
That's what I did thank goodness. I just checked the prices just for the Hell of it. I think only my EU Thrawn and Darktrooper are worth anything, which as I said, I guess is a good thing. I'm not mad about it, just kind of suprised that they'd depreciate that much. The Joes from even a few years ago are running from $25 to $80. My poor figures...$5.99...LOL !

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

1:18 Tech Noir background extra! They're also gonna rerelease K-2SO, so I'll get another chance to buy him as well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They're releasing this figure in the 6" black series as well. She looks great in the larger scale. Problem is that the SW 1:12 figures are substantially smaller than Marvel 1:12 figures. They look absurd together, so you can't use them as background characters or custom fodder outside of the SW brand.

Jesus, Hasbro fucked up the scale in the 1:12 Black line, too? Maybe they're compatible with 1:12 Japanese figures like Figmas and SFiguarts?

Is that supposed to be Daenerys Targaryen?

Yup.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Just for example (couldn't find a male pic)... when you hold them in your hand, it's clear they are a completely different scale. And that's the "normal" size of ML female buck. If you put Slave Leia next to She-Hulk or Angela, I'm not sure Leia would top out above the belt. SW Black is great within itself, but next to other 6" figures, they're basically the Lollipop Guild.

Hasbro-Star-Wars-Black-Series-Legends-Jaina-Solo-Comparison-05.jpg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I recall reading years ago that the SW designers weren't allowed to share parts and tooling with other lines, i.e. SW is "special" and doesn't want anyone else's filthy parts or any other line using theirs. It was such a big deal when that blue/black suited SDCC Cobra Commander used a Henry Jones body. I'll bet that took seventeen piles of paperwork and a signature from George Lucas's dick.

So the mismatched scales could be a way of discouraging/preventing any cross-pollination of the lines. It mostly just feels like Hasbro making sure to maximize customer irritation.

WTF Mattel?!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I believe it may be the lawyers at fault here, In order to protect copywrite, patents & defend against copycats the toys in each line do need to be unique. This is partly why even within Hasbro star wars, Joe & other are built differently as each may have 3rd party stakeholders, (Disney, lucusfilm Marvel other) which may be called upon to defend infringment.

It is also the reason why right holders, can licience out different scale to different toy companies.

It may also explain Hasbro's reluctance to make inerchangable parts/ playsets designed for multiple lines

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Nice idea, but no thanks hasbro. I'm not subsidizing their R&D. It was one thing for Mattel to do this with Castle Greyskull, as the MOTU fanbase is substantially smaller. The world has enough SW fans willing to throw money at Lucas/Disney that this comes across as just douche-y.

But this... it's a nice display piece, but I'm not interested in a 4ft long toy that serves no purpose but to make my wallet $500 lighter and my wife less attracted to me.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think the idea is great. If 5000 fans put their money where their mouth is, they keep getting their Big SW Toys that they have been complaining about for all of time. $500 is the same as the Lego Falcon and it certainly sold well enough. Garrison already has his preorder in and has plans to order a 2nd one for future trading. Using this model, you eliminate the dickheads (including me) who wait for the BMF to hit 50% clearance before buying and you eliminate old dirty nerds writing you death threats for not making toys for them. Brilliant and I bet it becomes yearly. This is how you get a new Hasbro FLAGG.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I just realized the irony of getting the Sail Barge and yet never being able to buy another Slave Leia to go in it. 😂

There are just enough parts in the Boss Fight catalog that you can customize a better 1:18 slave Leia than Hasbro could.

I think the idea is great. If 5000 fans put their money where their mouth is, they keep getting their Big SW Toys that they have been complaining about for all of time. $500 is the same as the Lego Falcon and it certainly sold well enough. Garrison already has his preorder in and has plans to order a 2nd one for future trading. Using this model, you eliminate the dickheads (including me) who wait for the BMF to hit 50% clearance before buying and you eliminate old dirty nerds writing you death threats for not making toys for them. Brilliant and I bet it becomes yearly. This is how you get a new Hasbro FLAGG.

I wonder if they could get enough Joe fans to "float" a new Flagg. To be done right it would need to be considerably larger than Jabba's sail barge, though.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Joecon shutting down after this year does not speak well for the amount of Joe fans dedicated enough to drop $700 on a full FLAGG. I’d love to see the prototype though. I’d say the Joe base would be a good test case for Joe collectors.

Lord Bodega

Enlisted
May 10, 2014
S. Florida
I am on the fence with supporting this. Its big, but if its funded then it will mean Hasbro will/should do more. I agree with the sentiment of many on the board about the SW fan base being larger. But hopefully they give us some smaller stuff like a new Whale or updated Death Star Playset. Right now we are really surviving through the Kickstarter phenomena and of course all the customizers out there.

Reactions: pcsguy88