CH-46 Sea Knight

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Ok here we go again....there are many details that I want to acomplish so I think this will be a long one as I have many major cuts and adds to the fusalage. Please forgive my shitty spelling.

Refrences:

Ok so those are just some images, there are no lack of Chinook pics out there. I will do my best.

So you see what I have to work with. This wont be scaled perfectly and I'm going to chop the shit out of it, so this won't look the same at all. I'll ad weaponry to it als0(only what they realy have). Wish me luck fellow fighters.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Good luck.. I bet it'll look great, if not scaled properly.

Maybe go for the CH-46 Sea Knight instead? It's smaller and more practical maybe?

Hey dude, I thought about that, but I think I can accomplish this, and the challenge is bating me, as I have never seen one done. and I've always wanted one....but I do agree NSA that it would be easier.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
No worries! Best of luck.. you've done great so far!

I just noticed that the ChapMei helicopters are clearly based on the CH-46. I always thought they were modeling them after the Chinook.. but if you look at the top part under the rotors it's almost a perfect match to the Sea Knight.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
LOT of work converting a Chap Mei Seahook into a 1:18ish CH-47.

Gonna do a Fox or a Delta model, or just going for the general appearence?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I take it you're doing a lot more than just puting a section of tube fuselage in?

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
I take it you're doing a lot more than just puting a section of tube fuselage in?

Yep, the obvious distinction,IMHO, is the fuel cells on the side and the tubines hangin out there like a zephlin(sp), and the 4 landing gear. The miniguns in the door....the door....s I'm studying now as we type...the inside, honestly I'd like to make it from scratch but I'm not pickelhaube. It might be easier to cut the front section(the cockpit, engine), and the back(engine,rear door and turbines). Attach them with a new 'mid' section. The rivets and grooves won't be there if I do that though. mmmm...I'm still actualy wondering where I'll stop. Oh well, so more than a tube extension anyway. :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Do you plan to widen it too or just longer?...them fuel cells are gonna be, fun...best of luck man :D

You know, I think if he uses PVC pipe of varying diameters he could just do some light sculpting, scribing and greeble work and it would all turn out pretty tight.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
By no means am I telling you what to do but I think NSA is right.

The Chap looks closer to the 46.
I see you have 2 of them .

Maybe you should do the 46 first ( it will be easier ) then do the 47 after you tune your skills up.

The biggest difference is the lower bulge running the length of the body . The 46 does not have that bulge and it would be difficult rendering that detail using the Chap M helo .

This will be a neat project.
It sure looks like a fun project to do.
I wish that I had time to do fun projects for myself.
Please keep us posted.

Just stretching the body and a nice paint job would do wonders on the over all look.

Last edited:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
By no means am I telling you what to do but I think NSA is right.

The Chap looks closer to the 46.
I see you have 2 of them .

Maybe you should do the 46 first ( it will be easier ) then do the 47 after you tune your skills up.

The biggest difference is the lower bulge running the length of the body . The 46 does not have that bulge and it would be difficult rendering that detail using the Chap M helo .

This will be a neat project.
It sure looks like a fun project to do.
I wish that I had time to do fun projects for myself.
Please keep us posted.

Just stretching the body and a nice paint job would do wonders on the over all look.

Well Pickelhaube, I think you and NSA might be right, mmm...like a little child, I am not afraid to go onto the road where those big cars and trucks are.:greedy: I always have big eyes, wich makes me take on more than I can chew. That being said I have some questions for you guys...
1). What cutting tool would be the easiest to use to cut the fuselage, besides a hand and band saw? The only thing that I can think of is a band saw....a hand saw is hard to keep straight. I might have to make up a jig for a hand saw mmmm.....
2). What would you guys suggest for the landing gear? From scratch? another helo or plane? (be practical)
3). The front windows....what material should I use?

The 46 sound more practical from you more experienced modders. Thanks guys. :)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I've got a suggestion for number one...

If you have a Dremel, hobby stores have a tiny circular saw (about the size of dime but paper thin) that is great for making nice precise cuts...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well Pickelhaube, I think you and NSA might be right, mmm...like a little child, I am not afraid to go onto the road where those big cars and trucks are.:greedy: I always have big eyes, wich makes me take on more than I can chew. That being said I have some questions for you guys...
1). What cutting tool would be the easiest to use to cut the fuselage, besides a hand and band saw? The only thing that I can think of is a band saw....a hand saw is hard to keep straight. I might have to make up a jig for a hand saw mmmm.....
2). What would you guys suggest for the landing gear? From scratch? another helo or plane? (be practical)
3). The front windows....what material should I use?

The 46 sound more practical from you more experienced modders. Thanks guys. :)

Seriously, there are probably dozens of donors in the Joe line. Night Raven nose gear and the nose gear from the Tomahawk spring immediately to mind.

For windows I'd use action figure bubble material, though PTE box window material may work a little better.

The bubble material will shrink a bit with the application of heat, but results vary. It'll be trial and error.

I'll second the Dremel for cutting. It will definitely be the best tool here.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
The Dremel would be the tool to use . But because of the smaller sized cutter it may be a little difficult getting a strait cut.

If you have a old fashioned hand saw that could be the best way to get a strait cut.

Use masking tape were you want to cut.Stick it tight to were you want to cut.
The marking pencil line will show up better making it easier to cut.

Get a piece of paper fold it in half long ways cut on the fold then fold the paper long ways again.

Now run more making tape the length of the paper both sides this will give the paper a little heft and hold it in a straight line. Maybe 2 layers of masking tape.

Now use the paper to go around the fuselage lining up the edges .
If done right you should be able to get a nice straight line.
You may have to tape a couple pieces to get the length you want.

Use your paper strait edge to mark on the tape that you taped around the fuse earlier and cut with the hand saw.

The width of the hand should hold you straight as you cut.

Or use the same marking technique and cut with the Dremel .

Use brass tubing to elongate the landing gear.

You can find the tubing at any hobby shop or Ace Hardware.

Last edited:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Seriously, there are probably dozens of donors in the Joe line. Night Raven nose gear and the nose gear from the Tomahawk spring immediately to mind.

For windows I'd use action figure bubble material, though PTE box window material may work a little better.

The bubble material will shrink a bit with the application of heat, but results vary. It'll be trial and error.

I'll second the Dremel for cutting. It will definitely be the best tool here.

Bubble material? Do you mean the package the figures come in. I have some plastic from the PTE boxes. I'm not up on all the GI Joe stuff. The Tomohawk, I've seen this and is very expensive just to take parts from. I'll look the Night Raven up and see that.:)

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
The Dremel would be the tool to use . But because of the smaller sized cutter it may be a little difficult getting a strait cut.

If you have a old fashioned hand saw that could be the best way to get a strait cut.

Get a piece of paper fold it in half long ways cut on the fold then fold the paper long ways again.

Now run more making tape the length of the paper both sides this will give the paper a little heft and hold it in a straight line. Maybe 2 layers of masking tape.

Use your paper strait edge to mark on the tape that you taped around the fuse earlier and cut with the hand saw.

Exellent Pickelhaube thanks, I will do exactly that.:goodone::)

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I was planning to do something like this too. I have a cardboard tube that's the perfect size. I was thinking about making it bigger too, but then after thinking about it, I might as well make the thing from scratch if I go that far(which is beyond my skills, lol). I looked into PVC piping, but that'll be really expensive and I almost gave up because of it, but my bro brought me a big poster mailer he got from his comic shop and it's perfect.

Another option that someone mentioned to me was to get two, and cut the end off one and front off the other and join them. Might work.. but I dunno, not sure I want to buy another one to do it.
Can't wait to see what you do with this.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bubble material? Do you mean the package the figures come in. I have some plastic from the PTE boxes. I'm not up on all the GI Joe stuff. The Tomohawk, I've seen this and is very expensive just to take parts from. I'll look the Night Raven up and see that.:)

Yes, the packaging.

And if you buy a whole vintage vehicle to harvest the landing gear, well, as they say, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Coming across someone with landing gear for either of those vehicles shouldn't be hard.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I've been planning to splice 2 Chap Mei helos into one CH-46 for the longest time, but couldn't work up the motivation to tackle the project.
I have no doubt your version will be awesome, and I hope it will be the kick in the ass I need to get me started on mine. :)

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

Brilliant! and Thankyou!

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Hello fellow fighters, here's the first cuts...thanks Pickelhaube for the advice, it worked a treat.

This is how long it will be....

close up...not a bad line not great but with Pickelhaube's advice its straighter than I would have done freehand.

...more to come...

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
"Hi, I'm Digler! I like to turn decent cheap vehicles into realistic and beautiful creations! Bow down! "

That's what I read every time I see one of your posts.

On a serious note, fantastic job thus far.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
"Hi, I'm Digler! I like to turn decent cheap vehicles into realistic and beautiful creations! Bow down! "

That's what I read every time I see one of your posts.

On a serious note, fantastic job thus far.

meanwhile, toy scalpers are banging their head trying to figure out why people are buying up these cheap Chap mei stuff instead of the hot new toys.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Looking good! This is an excellent project to tackle. If there's one thing we need more of, it's troop transports.