Cloud Strife's WIP

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Worked on Thrasher some more today. Got the "V" on each side of his chest, sculpted more of the outlining trim, got a few of the laces and did a crap-load of sanding. Will try to post some more pics tonight or tomorrow...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Here's what I've been able to get done on today:

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm, I not really feeling it. You may want to start over.

Just kidding, it looks awesome. Did you shape the jagged shirt any from Ripper?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Hmm, I not really feeling it. You may want to start over.

Just kidding, it looks awesome. Did you shape the jagged shirt any from Ripper?

lol... When I was reading that at first I was thinking, "Dang, this is brutal...", but then I read the rest of it.

I've sanded it down a bit in the front and moreso in the back. Still plan on making it jagged like the OG fig. Thought about using a file on Ripper's torso to give the jagged edges, but it's not working out too well. Will probably sculpt them instead.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
thats some phenominal sculpting brutha...the small details look so good...really impressed with how you were able to make them so sharp and clean

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Looks out-freakin-standing. This is a Castable torso with a capital C. It looks so great now without paint. once painted up, He is gonna be the best Thrasher on the block!

Thanks, Meddatron! I hope Dave at SDS is able to cast it. I tried to make castable as best I could.

thats some phenominal sculpting brutha...the small details look so good...really impressed with how you were able to make them so sharp and clean

Thanks, Eddie! I've tried to get it as detailed as possible. I still have some sanding to do and a few tweaks but I believe it's pretty much done.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So are you going to wait to paint it before you send it off to SDS? Hell, I may just wait and steal yours... Literally. If he can cast it, it'll save me all the trouble, and it looks freaking great.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
So are you going to wait to paint it before you send it off to SDS? Hell, I may just wait and steal yours... Literally. If he can cast it, it'll save me all the trouble, and it looks freaking great.

Well, I just messaged Dave to see if he's interested in casting the torso for Thrasher. I explained that I didn't think to split the lower part of the torso (never do it, so just didn't think about it. oops!) before sculpting over the seams. I asked if there was a way to work around this or if I need to do another one.

I'll definitely get it casted if Dave is interested in doing it. I'll probably hold off on painting until I found out whether or not Dave is interested in casting it and whether or not the paint will be damaged in the process.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'll be posting pics tonight, but I think I'm done w/sculpting Thrasher's armor. I added straps going from the front to the back of his chest armor, smoothed and sanded some areas.

I also started another Zanzibar torso last night on a whim. I'm trying to do it to where it can be castable as well. I've done the shirt, but the challenging part is going to be the pauldron (or whatever you call it). I was able to do it with the in one piece, but we'll have to wait and see how it works out with the figure in 2 pieces...

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I've done a couple things w/Thrasher since I last posted. I've added the straps running from the back to the front of his chest armor and started sculpting his left hand's gauntlet. I've taken liberty w/the gauntlet and am not totally sure about what I've done. I might scratch it and start over. Not sure...

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

Just wanted to show off SDS' Zandar head and torso kit. KREXX did an amazing job this kit! I'm not 100% sure on the upper legs that I've got on Zandar right now. I'll have to do some sculpting on his boots to make them more ARAH accurate, but you get an idea of what the figure will look like in the following pics:

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I've started working on another Zanzibar torso. While I'm happy with the Zanzibar I did last year, I felt I could do a better job now that I've had some more practice w/sculpting (Zanzibar was my first big sculpting project).

The base parts of his shirt, and pauldron are done and I've started the detailing on them. I started the lower torso last night and only have a few more details to add to it. The time consuming part is going to be adding the outlining rim on his pauldron (don't really know what else to call it). Having the torso split in half is going to make the process more cumbersome than when I sculpted Zanzibar's torso the first time. I'm also considering doing something similar like what I did w/Thrasher's armor and have some straps running from the front to the back. The reason for this is b/c I think it would be nice if something was actually holding his pauldron on. What do you guys think of adding the straps?

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
so the straps on Thrasher look really good...something you should definitly add to Zanzibar, accurate or not...it looks goofy just floating there...speaking of floating there, where does that strap going over Zandars shoulder that leads to the middle of his back go?...judging by your pics, you might want to add some straps to him too...

and why does Thrasher have a little tiny pecker molded on? :D

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
so the straps on Thrasher look really good...something you should definitly add to Zanzibar, accurate or not...it looks goofy just floating there...speaking of floating there, where does that strap going over Zandars shoulder that leads to the middle of his back go?...judging by your pics, you might want to add some straps to him too...

and why does Thrasher have a little tiny pecker molded on? :D

LOL... Yeah, Thrasher likes to let it all hang out. Although, he doesn't have much to let hang out.

The strap that goes over Zandar's back does connect to a strap going around the bottom of the top-half of his torso. It is hard to see though. I've actually thought about sculpting and building the strap up to make it more prominent.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i see the strap now...think if it was me sculpting (and if i was good at it) i'd have sculpted it on the lower torso near the top

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Holy Shit! Your Thrasher looks better and better. I really like the straps. I can't wait to see the finished version

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I think I'm done with Zanzibar's torso. I went ahead and added straps to his pauldron so that it isn't just sitting on his shoulders, but is actually being held on. I wasn't sure how I was going to have the straps attached to his pauldron at first, but I decided to go with a classic belt buckle for the straps and I'm happy with how they turned out. I was able to finish the outlining detail of his pauldron as well, and it didn't take nearly as long as it did the first time I sculpted Zanzibar's torso.

I'm happy with how it's turned out but let me know what you think.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Damn man, another winner here bro. I have no critiques at all. none whatsoever. The buckles and the straps are amazingly done!

Thanks, man! Yeah, I've never done buckles before, so it was a learning experience, but I'm happy with how they turned out. I think the straps don't take away from the original character's design too much either.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I like the realism. Sorry, I've seen these and just forgot to comment because the last 2 weeks at work have been nuts. They're turning out fantastic man. Can't wait to see the final product, but I know they own't disappoint.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I like the realism. Sorry, I've seen these and just forgot to comment because the last 2 weeks at work have been nuts. They're turning out fantastic man. Can't wait to see the final product, but I know they own't disappoint.

Thanks, Rex! Hopefully I'll be done w/all the sculpting and can start painting before too long.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
hot damn!!!...

the buckles and straps look freak'n great!...really REALLY good...the drawstrings and trim and creases, everything!...seriously, i'm not fluffing yer nuts here man, it looks really awesome...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
hot damn!!!...

the buckles and straps look freak'n great!...really REALLY good...the drawstrings and trim and creases, everything!...seriously, i'm not fluffing yer nuts here man, it looks really awesome...

LOL... Thanks, Eddie! Yeah, the buckles were a concern as I've never done them before. I'm definitely happy w/how they turned out. I'm glad I decided to take another stab at Zanzibar.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That's looking slick... It's hard for me to tell what the difference is without a vintage one in-hand to compare it to... What was the big difference? Did you base it off something else than the vintage style?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's looking slick... It's hard for me to tell what the difference is without a vintage one in-hand to compare it to... What was the big difference? Did you base it off something else than the vintage style?

pretty much all that...

looks really cool though...nice and clean looking...is it all based around Mutts hand?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

pretty much all that...

looks really cool though...nice and clean looking...is it all based around Mutts hand?

I ditched the hand that I had sculpted the padding on for Mutt's hand as I was afraid that the Apoxie would break on the flexible plastic (Green Stuff is better for flexible plastic as it is flexible itself) and Mutt's hand works fine, I just had to mod the forearm for it to work.

I did my own thing, but kind of did hybrid of the OG fig and how it appeared in the cartoon (I didn't really care for how it appeared in the comics). The main difference when compared to the cartoon is the armor-like plates don't wrap around his entire wrist. I chose not to have them wrap all the way around, in order for the bracer part based of the OG fig is visible.

What do you think? Should I scratch it and go straight OG or straight Sunbow?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I've painted Thrasher and am very happy with how he's turned out. The only thing is that I painted the pads that I sculpted around his waist grey and left his pants in this area black. It fully eliminates the diaper look the OG figure has and I like it, but do I want to go more ARAH accuracte???

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i think i did the same thing on my custom...granted, its not as amazing as yours, but i agree, the switch looks better

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Wait, did you post a pic? Re-post, re-post! :)

No, I didn't post a pic, but I will here in about an hour. I'm watching a show w/the misses. I started painting Road Pig's torso and the the skin on Zanzibar. So. Much. Flesh Tone this weekend. Good gosh!

So, a recap:

Thrasher - DONE!
Road Pig - Head DONE! and torso started
Zanzibar - Head DONE! (re-using the previous one) and torso started
Buzzer - Head Done! and I haven't started on the torso yet
Ripper - Head Done! and I haven't started on the mods yet
Torch - Head Done! and I haven't started on the mods yet
Zandar - Head started and I haven't started on the torso yet
Gnawgahyde - I'm probably going to repaint all of the skin to give him more of a tan
Monkeywrench - DONE! (No need to do anything to the one I already have completed)
Zarana - Not started
Zartan - I think I'm going to try and go for this look: