Cloud Strife's WIP

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I just checked my Road Pig kits, and I have two of the exact same hammer. Were they supposed to be different? One came with each set. Everything else is different.

Damn you, I just spent about 15 minutes studying YoJoe's archives of the vintage Dreadnoks, and the original 3 are super different than their vintage versions... I think you may have talked me into the Ripper and Torch heads, and maybe the Buzzer, too. The Ripper head is probably the biggest improvement, but they're all much better than Hasbro's weird sculpts. 25th Torch's legs are nothing like the vintage!

The hammers are different between the 2 kits. KREXX's hammer sculpt is better IMO.

LOL... I know, right?! Hasbro was lazy w/making them accurate their OG versions. Buzzer is missing the black pads on his pants and they decided to change the whole ripped sleeves look he had previously, Torch doesn't have the knee high grey boots (which they could have used Viper boots for...), and Ripper has the same stupid legs and left sleeve thing they gave Buzzer.

I think I might give Torch the Viper fig's boots and see if either his or Ripper's knees will fit them (which will save me from having to try and match the paint on the knees to the pants), and I'm giving Ripper Torch's Legs and painting the grey on his boots and leg details black (their close enough to the OG fig's design for me). I've already sanded down the pockets on the front of Buzzer's pants (I'm actually using Ripper's legs since the OG fig's pants were the light denim, much like the 2-pack Ripper and Torch have) in order to sculpt the black pads on them. And all of them are going to be getting the Monkeywrench/Mindbender/Single-Carded Ripper Arms instead of the ones they currently have. I'll have to sculpt the arm bands on 2 of them for Torch and Ripper, and I'll probably end up sculpting Torch's neckband as well...

Dang, I still have a lot to do!

And of course, all I can find is Krexx's kit:

http://slayerdesignstudio.3dcartstores.com/PO-8-21-WarPig_p_877.html

Where's the other one?

Here's Dave's kit:

https://slayerdesignstudio.3dcartstores.com/search.asp?keyword=PO-9-+DaveEg-1&image.x=25&image.y=2

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Well that sucks.

I started painting RP's accessories last night. I guess it's a good thing that they're suppose to be black as it's the easiest color to paint, but I spent 3+ hrs finishing the paint on RP and now I have to paint his accessories... *sigh*

I'm still not sure which wrist-mounted crossbow I'm going to use. I like the fact that I can used Major Bludd's darts for RP's leg-strap with Bad Sociologist's, but I like the design of KREXX's more.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, the fact that those weren't cast in black was unfortunate. I was hoping for it, honestly. Well damn, I guess I'll take your word on Krexx's being the better sculpt.

Can you snap a comparo scale shot tonight when you snap pics? I'm curious to the scale between the hammers.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Yeah, the fact that those weren't cast in black was unfortunate. I was hoping for it, honestly. Well damn, I guess I'll take your word on Krexx's being the better sculpt.

Can you snap a comparo scale shot tonight when you snap pics? I'm curious to the scale between the hammers.

Not a problem man. Will do.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
i actually think i like KREXXs crazy shoulder pad thing better...though not accurate, its a bit more interesting

It's not bad at all. I just like that the other one is more heavy duty and thicker (I can't figure out a way to type this without it sounding perverted...).

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Krexx's isn't bad, but I try for ARAH-accuracy in most of my customs. Occasionally I'll do my own thing with a different direction, but when I saw the second RP kit, I liked that shoulder pad a little more.

I'm mixing and matching both, and who knows, I may use the Krexx shoulder pad down the line somewhere.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Before...

After...

Some pics for height comparisons...

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thrasher's still my favorite, but the RP is pretty awesome. I'd paint some details on the arm launcher... Maybe the bow string, or the shaft of the bow, or the feathers, or all of the above. The simple details on the pad buckles looks good.

I'm debating on whether I should paint some brown or gray weathering on the shoulder pads, like it's black leather that's cracking or scuffed? Seeing yours made me consider it more, although the sculpt picks up a good deal of detail.

I can't believe you painted the flesh on the arms and torso. How's the wear on it? You expect it to scrape any?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I feel like RP is missing a belt or something around his waist... I know it's there, but I envision something like those heavy leather weight-lifter buckles or something to protect his stomach. You know he's gotta pop a hernia or two lifting that sledgehammer.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thrasher's still my favorite, but the RP is pretty awesome. I'd paint some details on the arm launcher... Maybe the bow string, or the shaft of the bow, or the feathers, or all of the above. The simple details on the pad buckles looks good.

I'm debating on whether I should paint some brown or gray weathering on the shoulder pads, like it's black leather that's cracking or scuffed? Seeing yours made me consider it more, although the sculpt picks up a good deal of detail.

I can't believe you painted the flesh on the arms and torso. How's the wear on it? You expect it to scrape any?

LOL... Dang it! I get to antsy when I'm finishing a custom that I forget little details sometimes (like painting the string on the wrist-mount bow, and the white on the feathers.

The weathering details aren't a bad idea at all, but I probably won't do them for now.

The Sabretooth arms are actually pretty good about not scraping due to movement. I've moved both joints on the arms and the only wear I've had was under the right arm on the joint, but I touched it up with multiple thin coats. If it continues to scrape, I'll find a better solution to prevent it. Overall, I don't expect the paint to scrape any more than that.
I feel like RP is missing a belt or something around his waist... I know it's there, but I envision something like those heavy leather weight-lifter buckles or something to protect his stomach. You know he's gotta pop a hernia or two lifting that sledgehammer.

Haha... I get what you're saying, but I like the look of the OG fig. I thought about painting the belt brown, like what I did on the previous figure, but I opted out for the OG look. I might change my mind, but I'm happy with him for now.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That was more me talking out loud... Or typing... out... loud...

Anyways, I was just saying visually. The ARAH figure "suffers" from it too. Some husky-ass belt buckle or something, I dunno. Poor guy and that gigantous hammer. :)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
that RP is awesome!...i love how tall he is...

a suggestion...highlight all that black with really REALLY dark grey, almost black...its how i've learned to weather black...they paint the vehicle super dark grey then panel line/wash with black...looks really good

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Great job!!

RP looks fantastic, I really like how he turned out. I agree with Rex that your Thrasher stands out more cuz he is so badass. Great Job on both

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
That was more me talking out loud... Or typing... out... loud...

Anyways, I was just saying visually. The ARAH figure "suffers" from it too. Some husky-ass belt buckle or something, I dunno. Poor guy and that gigantous hammer. :)

No worries man! I get what you're saying w/the bigger weight lifting type belt. Bad Sociologist added that to his Road Pig:

that RP is awesome!...i love how tall he is...

a suggestion...highlight all that black with really REALLY dark grey, almost black...its how i've learned to weather black...they paint the vehicle super dark grey then panel line/wash with black...looks really good

I think you and MR have convinced me to give the weathered look a shot w/the shoulder pads. They do need something to highlight them better.

Great job!!

RP looks fantastic, I really like how he turned out. I agree with Rex that your Thrasher stands out more cuz he is so badass. Great Job on both

Thanks! Yeah, Thrasher turned out better than I had hoped he would and considering all the sculpting that went into making him, he stands out more to me too. I appreciate the feedback!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
That head sculpt is fantastic. I really need to get in gear on him. He looks like such a dick!

Haha... Doesn't he though! He shares the same cocky look as the OG fig.

that is nice head :D

yer paint looks great CS...and now i clearly see the strap below his pecs that i missed before

Thanks, Eddie!

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do for this shoulder pads. I love KREXX's sculpted shoulder pads for him, but he can't bring his arms up to their side at all with them on. You can only move the arm backwards or forwards. I might try and sculpt the pads on a pair of arms myself, although they won't look nearly as good as KREXX's, or I might just use Zartan's arms. Still haven't decided...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks, Eddie!

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do for this shoulder pads. I love KREXX's sculpted shoulder pads for him, but he can't bring his arms up to their side at all with them on. You can only move the arm backwards or forwards. I might try and sculpt the pads on a pair of arms myself, although they won't look nearly as good as KREXX's, or I might just use Zartan's arms. Still haven't decided...

It's the same with the Zarana pads, unfortunately... I considered dremeling down part of it or notching it out so the arm could move up, but there's too much bulk...

If I try it first or you do, be sure to post the results.

I may just use Zartan arms on Zandar since I want them to be identical like the vintage toys, but the Zandar torso is to awesome to use the entire Zartan torso instead... I just fear cracking the torso and messing something up to just use the arms. :(

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
It's the same with the Zarana pads, unfortunately... I considered dremeling down part of it or notching it out so the arm could move up, but there's too much bulk...

If I try it first or you do, be sure to post the results.

I may just use Zartan arms on Zandar since I want them to be identical like the vintage toys, but the Zandar torso is to awesome to use the entire Zartan torso instead... I just fear cracking the torso and messing something up to just use the arms. :(

I'm planning on checking to see if I have a spare Zartan in the fodder bin, so that I can see if his arms will work on Zandar's torso. I'll definitely let you know once I try it out.

Also, I still need to post comparison pics of KREXX and Dave's Hammers for you.

That Zandar is looking superb! What a head sculpt and awesome job painting.

Amazing job

Thank, MW! Glad you dig him so far!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Zandar is looking great with the paint. I ended up sculpting his shoulder pads on mine. I didnt have an extra Zartan and i was able to keep full arm mobility. I think if Zartans arms dont work out with that torso that is the best way to go.

The pecs on that Zandar torso sculpt look odd to me. anybody else?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Zandar is looking great with the paint. I ended up sculpting his shoulder pads on mine. I didnt have an extra Zartan and i was able to keep full arm mobility. I think if Zartans arms dont work out with that torso that is the best way to go.

I thought they did at first, but now they don't. I guess they've grown on me. Haha...

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa

Yes - he is missing the nipples and the bottom is too flat, It looks like he has suffered a major pec tear that was not repaired. Generally speaking the bottom of the pecs are fuller than the top...which you can see by searching pics of bodybuilders...I have a degree in Exercise Science with an emphasis on anatomy and physiology and am a former competitive bodybuilder and former judge - I know a thing or two about pecs. Just thought I'd clarify so I wouldn't get quoted in any of Eddie's threads. :p

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
pfffft...we're still gonna quote you :D

now that you guys mention it though, it does look like he had a baby and now has fried egg boobs...or had some breast implants removed

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
(cont.)

You can see where I've sculpted the pads on Buzzer's thighs and crotch. I also re-sculpted the ripped sleeve on his right arm.

Here's Torch's left armband:

Here's Zanzibar's torso partially painted. It's EXTREMELY GLOSSY, but I will remedy that with a couple of Clear Flat coats:

As always, I appreciate feedback!