Cloud Strife's WIP

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
That Zandar is epic!

Man I wish Hasbro would make him exactly like yours, I would buy him up in a second.

Great job bro.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
One thing that slightly bugs me about the Zandar sculpt is his back is a tad... "barrel-chested" if that makes sense, below the bandana where it ties in the back. Also the arms sit a tad low, but I doubt there's a lot you could do about that?

Otherwise, it's great. The painting and your added parts and sculpting are fantastic.

The others are coming along nicely too. Zanzibar's stitched ties on his shirt look great! Aren't you worried that they may snap though? Not trying to jinx you, they just look fragile.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
That Zandar is epic!

Man I wish Hasbro would make him exactly like yours, I would buy him up in a second.

Great job bro.

Thank you, kind sir! I keep hoping Hasbro will release more 'Noks (perhaps as an internet exclusive 7-pack). Seeing Zarana give me hope that we'll see more 'Noks and Zandar in particular at some point. Then again, who knows?

One thing that slightly bugs me about the Zandar sculpt is his back is a tad... "barrel-chested" if that makes sense, below the bandana where it ties in the back. Also the arms sit a tad low, but I doubt there's a lot you could do about that?

Otherwise, it's great. The painting and your added parts and sculpting are fantastic.

The others are coming along nicely too. Zanzibar's stitched ties on his shirt look great! Aren't you worried that they may snap though? Not trying to jinx you, they just look fragile.

Yeah, I know what you mean about his back. I noticed it too. Unfortunately, the arms do sit a little low, but I'm thinking about adding some sculpt to the top of his shoulder pads in order to remedy that.

It's funny you should mention the stitches. I did break them by accident when I was gluing the torso shut, but I was able to glue them back on and you'd never notice it happened. They're actually stronger now that they've been Gorilla glued on and I'm glad it happened as I don't worry about it happening again now. While I've been painting, I've held his torso with my thumb or another finger the stitches and they've been solid.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
OOoooo dawgie those look good!!...the sculpting on Zanzibar looks even more impressive with paint...

i'd really like to see Hasbro make the un-done 'noks, but honestly, in all likeliness, they'd just cobble together some random parts and halfa$$ them...they rarely knock it out of the park like you did with your attention to accurate detail on these guys...

and i think your sculpting on Buzzer looks awesome, BUT, it doesnt help his thunder thighs look any less thunder thigh-y ya know?...kinda compounds the problem

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
OOoooo dawgie those look good!!...the sculpting on Zanzibar looks even more impressive with paint...

i'd really like to see Hasbro make the un-done 'noks, but honestly, in all likeliness, they'd just cobble together some random parts and halfa$$ them...they rarely knock it out of the park like you did with your attention to accurate detail on these guys...

and i think your sculpting on Buzzer looks awesome, BUT, it doesnt help his thunder thighs look any less thunder thigh-y ya know?...kinda compounds the problem

I'm picking up what you're laying down. I thought about sanding the outer part of his thigh towards the top to help that problem out, but we'll see. I still have to sand the pads on his pants and make them a little more "clean" and accurate to the original.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Wow, how did you do those laces on the chest piece?

They were a bit of a pain, but not too terribly difficult. I took a small piece of apoxie and just rolled it on a hard surface until it was small enough and cut it to the desired length and "pinched" the ends to the chest. I did the top and bottom first and then did the diagonal piece after they had already cured, so that I wouldn't have to worry about messing them up in the process of putting the diagonal piece on.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Well, here's Buzzer and Torch:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I know I didn't give Torch lower legs that were more accurate to his original appearance, but the lower legs make him shorter and they're a little small compared to the upper legs that he currently has. So, until I can find a better solution, these will have to do.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i love Buzzer!...looks awesoome with that new head...that torso is jus soooo much better too...and painted up, black, the pads make him look less thunder thigh-y...though his a$$ needs some work...

as for Torch, use the boots off the Air viper...they are grey already, just have to remove the paint from the part above the boot...i think theres a pic of what it looks like in my album at HT

found it...no laughing at my Thrasher...he's old

Attachments

• user59043_pic17033_1249678703.jpg
    user59043_pic17033_1249678703.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Torch almost needs a slightly longer neck (or the head mounted higher)... Have you considered using Junkyard's collar modded for him? I considered that but didn't try it.

Buzzer looks badass, but I agree with Eddie, he's still a tad thunder-thighy. Viper boots for him, definitely. I had a set of those Air Viper legs, but I think I used 'em on my old Zarana. :eek:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
i love Buzzer!...looks awesoome with that new head...that torso is jus soooo much better too...and painted up, black, the pads make him look less thunder thigh-y...though his a$$ needs some work...

as for Torch, use the boots off the Air viper...they are grey already, just have to remove the paint from the part above the boot...i think theres a pic of what it looks like in my album at HT

found it...no laughing at my Thrasher...he's old

You would notice that his butt needs some work... :D

Which Air Viper are you talking about? I've tried looking it up but can't find it. What did you use for Torch's collar?

Thrasher's not bad at all, given what you had to work with.

Torch almost needs a slightly longer neck (or the head mounted higher)... Have you considered using Junkyard's collar modded for him? I considered that but didn't try it.

Buzzer looks badass, but I agree with Eddie, he's still a tad thunder-thighy. Viper boots for him, definitely. I had a set of those Air Viper legs, but I think I used 'em on my old Zarana. :eek:

I think I might dremel a Destro to get the collar for Torch, as it might not require any work like Junkyard's would to fit. If Destro's doesn't work, I can always give Junkyard's a shot.

I haven't had any luck with finding the Air-Viper that came with the grey boots...

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
as for torches collar, i used what you are planning to use, Destros collar...so i can tell you it works great...i just need a good necklace for mine

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I'm really digging your Buzzer! Those thigh pads look awesome! Great job on painting his head. Torch just seems off, I'm gonna look at it more when I'm not multi tasking like a mofo and get back to you

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I probably have a Destro collar I can part with

Thanks, but I've already started dremeling one off of a spare Destro. If something should go wrong, I'll hit you up!

I'm really digging your Buzzer! Those thigh pads look awesome! Great job on painting his head. Torch just seems off, I'm gonna look at it more when I'm not multi tasking like a mofo and get back to you

Thanks, MW! Do let me know what you think is off with Torch. Rex has already mentioned the head looks to be a little low on the neck. I'm going to try and remedy that.

Also, I've decided to ditch Zartan's upper arms for Zandar and go with KREXX's sculpted shoulder pads like I had in the original WIP pics:

I know they limit articulation to the side, but they look so much better and realistic with the fact that they actually sit on top of the shoulder.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think those arms will help hide the difference... Did you already glue the torso together?

It's a shame that they hinder the movement, but they do look better. The sculpt came out great. You just reminded me, I need to add one more shoulder pad to my SDS cart. $130 now! Dammit.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
If youre looking at the 25th style theres no need to dremel, its just held with a dab of glue it should just pull off

The studded collar? I know the the big collar is, but I think the studded collar is part of the actual torso mold. I could be wrong though. I'll have to give it another look when I get home.

I think those arms will help hide the difference... Did you already glue the torso together?

It's a shame that they hinder the movement, but they do look better. The sculpt came out great. You just reminded me, I need to add one more shoulder pad to my SDS cart. $130 now! Dammit.

I had glued the torso together with the Zandar arms, but used the vice method to get the torso open again. The torso mold wasn't damaged at all during the process.

$130... You better make sure you pay for it before the sale ends. Haha.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hit up eBay. There are usually high res photos of front and back views of whole figures, if not just the lower leg, torso, or whatever part you may need for reference.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Well, I've painted Zandar's new arms and shoulder pads. So, I believe Zandar is done. I do wish he had more articulation in the arms, but I don't reckon there's anything that can be done about that without making his arms look like they're sitting too low on his body.

Zanzibar is almost finished. I coated him with clear flat to tone down the gloss of his shirt and the purple on his pauldron. It looks much better now. The only thing I'm waiting to finish on him is the leg-strap for his holster. I've sculpted the strap, but waiting on it to cure now. I'll have to sculpt the clip once the strap is cured. After the clip is cured, I'll be painting the strap and he'll be finished.

Sorry, about not having any pics for the updates, but It's late and I'm tired. :p

So, I'm pretty much done with my 'Noks!

Thrasher - Done!
Road Pig - Done!
Buzzer - Done!
Torch - Done!
Ripper - Done!
Monkeywrench - Done!
Gnawgahyde - Done!
Zartan - Using the single pack fig. So, DONE!
Zandar - Done!
Zarana - Decided to use Novascream's for now. So, DONE!
Zanzibar - Almost done...

Oh yeah, I need to paint Gnawgahyde's warthog too!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
pics ya douche...:D...you gonna change Torchs boots?

Haha... I'll be posting the pics of them all finished within the next day or two. I really wish I had a light box so that I could take better pictures...

Also, I don't know about changing Torch's boots. I swapped the lower legs with just a regular Viper and it makes him shorter... They're a little skinny too. I still might do it, but I haven't fully made my mind up.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I have taken pictures of the finished figures, but won't be able to post them until tomorrow. I have to spend some time with the wife and go to bed...