Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hands down, best Thrasher ever. And I don't ever say that sorta thing. Makes mine look like a handicapped child made it.

The others are coming along nicely too, and now I wish I'd gotten those other Dreadnok heads... They look great! (I've got enough on my plate for the time being that I'll still probably skip them, but they are an improvement over Hasbro's sculpts!)

What torso was that you used for Road Pig again? I've got to get at least one, if not two, of that same torso this time from SDS, especially with the sale going on. Also need one for Big Boa, while I'm at it.

I love that you showed that Novascream Zarana in there too. Jealous!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Hands down, best Thrasher ever. And I don't ever say that sorta thing. Makes mine look like a handicapped child made it.

The others are coming along nicely too, and now I wish I'd gotten those other Dreadnok heads... They look great! (I've got enough on my plate for the time being that I'll still probably skip them, but they are an improvement over Hasbro's sculpts!)

What torso was that you used for Road Pig again? I've got to get at least one, if not two, of that same torso this time from SDS, especially with the sale going on. Also need one for Big Boa, while I'm at it.

I love that you showed that Novascream Zarana in there too. Jealous!

Thanks, Rex! I really appreciate the comments. Thrasher turned out better than I thought he would. KREXX's 'Nok heads are definitely better than Hasbro's.

I still have to give Ripper and Torch the Monkey Wrench/Dr. Mindbender arms instead of the noodle arms they came with. I'm torn on whether or not to sculpt the shoulder pads myself or use the SDS pads for Zandar. The SDS pads restrict his arm movement...

Here's the torso I used:
http://slayerdesignstudio.3dcartstores.com/Archive-Torso-17_p_536.html

It's definitely a good torso to use for Big Boa. You'll probably have to mod it a bit for the head to sit at the right height. I had to sculpt around the ball, drill a hole through the neck column, cut the neck off a fodder fig, shave the neck down A LOT!, and the glue it in. A lot of work, but it turned out good. You can't even tell I did anything to mod the torso.

I thought you might like Novascream's Zarana ;)

So much awesomeness in one thread shouldn't be legal. :D :D

Haha... Thanks, Fled!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm, so the torso neck is a tad low, eh? I guess since I'd need to paint it, swapping out neck posts wouldn't be the end of the world... Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to get that with my order sometime in the next week.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
DAMN!!

That Thrasher looks amazing! I'm loving the updates on the other Noks too. Buzzer and Ripper are looking so much better. Can't wait to see your finished Zanzibar

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Hmm, so the torso neck is a tad low, eh? I guess since I'd need to paint it, swapping out neck posts wouldn't be the end of the world... Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to get that with my order sometime in the next week.

Yeah, I thought I'd let you know so that it wouldn't come as a surprise.

DAMN!!

That Thrasher looks amazing! I'm loving the updates on the other Noks too. Buzzer and Ripper are looking so much better. Can't wait to see your finished Zanzibar

Thanks, Monkeywrench! The SDS sculpts are definitely amazing and helping me with completing my 'Nok lineup.

One thing I noticed that you're missing is the shoulder spikes on the Thrasher armor... Intentional?

He had 'em in the toon, I had to double-check to see how they were there vs. the original figure:

http://www.joetoonarchive.com/displayimage.php?album=89&pos=356

Aw man! I knew I'd forget to add them. lol. I had planned on adding them, but somehow forgot about them this past weekend. I'll definitely be adding them and I think I'm going to go w/the OG fig's spikes.

Thank you, for reminding me about them!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Damn Cloud, superb, That thrasher was worth the wait and time you put in him. He is seriously sweet. Really good work. Is that Zarana in the first pic one of the ones SDS has for sale. I Have a set coming in mail as I type. I hope so, She looks tight as hell painted up. They all do. Consider me jealous still. lol.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Damn Cloud, superb, That thrasher was worth the wait and time you put in him. He is seriously sweet. Really good work. Is that Zarana in the first pic one of the ones SDS has for sale. I Have a set coming in mail as I type. I hope so, She looks tight as hell painted up. They all do. Consider me jealous still. lol.

Thanks, Meddatron! Glad you like how Thrasher turned out.

As much as I would like to take credit for the Zarana in the first pic, that was actually done by Hisstank member Novascream (an original sculpt). I bought it off of him and threw her in the pic for Mandingo and G.I.Eddie b/c I thought they'd enjoy it... :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
everything looks like its coming along quite nicely...Thrasher looks perfect!...like MRs, my Thrasher now pales in comparison...i highly doubt Hasbro will make him, so if you could go ahead and get that figure cast, that would be greaaaat, mmmmm kay?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i think Buzzer looks really bada$$ too...that torso is perfect for him...and while the other nok head sculpts are nice improvements, the Buzzer one is just much better IMO...his gritting teeth mouth is really cool

bigbawsmcgraw

Enlisted
Jul 7, 2011
i've seen better:p just kidding these are stunning and cant wait to see them all finished in a group shot. oh and road pig looks (expletive) sweet

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
everything looks like its coming along quite nicely...Thrasher looks perfect!...like MRs, my Thrasher now pales in comparison...i highly doubt Hasbro will make him, so if you could go ahead and get that figure cast, that would be greaaaat, mmmmm kay?

LOL... Lumbergh! Thanks, for the comments! I think I need to touch up a few spots on Thrasher after looking at him more closely in the pics (enlarged pictures show much more detail than looking at the actual figure itself). I haven't seen your Thrasher, so I can't say w/absolute certainty, but like Dingo's Thrasher, I'm sure yours looks good too (I say your Footloose in another thread and he looks SWEET!).

i think Buzzer looks really bada$$ too...that torso is perfect for him...and while the other nok head sculpts are nice improvements, the Buzzer one is just much better IMO...his gritting teeth mouth is really cool

Yeah, KREXX did an awesome job on all of the 'Nok sculpts. Buzzer definitely needed to be improved (Monkeywrench the foremost, in need of a correct sculpt) and he nailed Buzzer. I've noticed a lot of the 'Noks are gritting or showing teeth... Road Pig, Zanzibar, Gnawgahyde, Thrasher and Monkeywrench. The looks definitely suit them though.

i've seen better:p seriously these are stunning and cant wait to see them all finished in a group shot. oh and road pig looks (expletive) sweet

LOL... Thanks, for the kind words man! I think Road Pig is the one I'm looking forward to finishing the most now. I wasn't really crazy about the head sculpt when I first saw it, but after modding it just a bit (sanded the double-chin away and sculpted the hair in the front to be level with the rest of it), I absolutely love it now! He's a pain though. lol. Having to paint so much skin tone is a chore. He was cast in a flesh tone resin and I still have painted about 5 coats and need to do at least 1 or 2 more before I'm finished (the pics don't show the slight discoloration showing through, due to needing another coat or 2). I still have to paint his arms too. The rest of him should be a cakewalk with nothing but black, brown and silver left.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
lol, that was funny, at least your text in the picture...

its funny how awesome i used to think yer first one was until you made the new one

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
lol, that was funny, at least your text in the picture...

its funny how awesome i used to think yer first one was until you made the new one

Yeah, the diaper always bothered me with my first custom, but I wasn't confident enough in my sculpting to try and do a better version until recently. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
This will probably be the last update I post for Road Pig. I finished the flesh tone on RP's arms and painted his tat.

Here's a couple comparison shots of my 1st RP along w/my WIP RP:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
seeing your old Thrasher compared to your new one is like switching from SDTV to HDTV lol. I will say that your old one still looks dope but your new one is simply perfect.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i like the bulk you added to his legs...can we see a side by side next to another normal height fiure?...is RP taller?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
seeing your old Thrasher compared to your new one is like switching from SDTV to HDTV lol. I will say that your old one still looks dope but your new one is simply perfect.

LOL... Yeah, there's definitely a difference in quality between the 2. Thanks!

Meh, your old Road Pig had hands. :)

Yeah, I still need to dremel the wrists so that he can have some hands. I would like to give him one with a glove on and one w/out a glove in order to stay true to the OG fig's design, but there's not really a hand w/out a glove that fits the wrists. Bazooka's hands are the biggest non-gloved hands but the wrist is still too big for it. I'll probably use the same gloved hands (Sgt. Stone) with the new one.

i like the bulk you added to his legs...can we see a side by side next to another normal height fiure?...is RP taller?

I'm at work right now, but here are a couple of pics I have in photobucket that should show you the height comparisons.

The 1st pic shows my first RP custom and the new one are about the same height:

The 2nd pic shows how my 1st RP custom is as tall as the Resolute Roadblock figure (Night Adder body w/a different head). The Resolute RB/Night Adder figures are noticeably taller than all other G.I. Joe figure builds:

The last pic shows the 1st RP custom in a lineup w/some of my other 'Nok customs:

I hope that helps w/showing the height of RP :D

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Haha, I was just kidding about the hands. :) What arms are those again? Sorry to keep asking, but I'm trying to put together a recipe list and it's going to basically consist of "steal Cloud's idea". I already have the SDS armor and kits from 2 different sculptors, but not a damn torso that's remotely in scale.

As for the legs, the new ones are way beefier and better proportioned, but truthfully, your original one looked great. I even liked that head a lot.

I have a set of those black Serpentor legs that came on the mole pod figure (the Crocmaster/Serpentor hybrid) that I was going to use with Zartan lowers, but now you've got me second-guessing them. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is sculpting on the legs, and then not being able to take them back off to paint.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Haha, I was just kidding about the hands. :) What arms are those again? Sorry to keep asking, but I'm trying to put together a recipe list and it's going to basically consist of "steal Cloud's idea". I already have the SDS armor and kits from 2 different sculptors, but not a damn torso that's remotely in scale.

As for the legs, the new ones are way beefier and better proportioned, but truthfully, your original one looked great. I even liked that head a lot.

I have a set of those black Serpentor legs that came on the mole pod figure (the Crocmaster/Serpentor hybrid) that I was going to use with Zartan lowers, but now you've got me second-guessing them. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is sculpting on the legs, and then not being able to take them back off to paint.

No worries! I knew you were kidding, bro!

Steal away, my man! I've stolen and borrowed from plenty of others' customs. Haha.

I never knew that they molepod figure used the same upper legs as Serpentor and Nemesis Immortal. I wouldn't worry about having to take the legs off to paint either. Black is the easiest color to paint. Just paint the area on the torso where the legs connect to the T-bar and you should be good to go. Since the legs are already black, you don't have to worry about the top part of the legs that'll be connected to the bar, as they should blend in with a flat black paint just fine.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ah, I was trying to figure out what damn Sabretooth. It was the more Tyler Mane looking one from X-Men 1. I don't recall seeing that one! But the arms work well, may have to get that one.

The cape's kinda cool, too. You definitely have to use that one something down the road...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Ah, I was trying to figure out what damn Sabretooth. It was the more Tyler Mane looking one from X-Men 1. I don't recall seeing that one! But the arms work well, may have to get that one.

The cape's kinda cool, too. You definitely have to use that one something down the road...

Yeah, I got the idea for the arms from MSWI. One thing you should know though. You don't have to pop the figure apart to get them as the torso is cast as one solid piece. You just heat them up with a blow dryer for a bit and pull them right out. You'll have to sand/dremel the tip of the peg for it to fit in the SDS torso, but once you do that, they fit like a charm. The good thing about them too is that they don't produce paint rub in the joints as long as you do multiple thin coats of paint!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
which kit do you like better?

I think I'm going to end up using a mix of them... The more recent one is a more accurate shoulder pad armor, so I'll definitely be using that one, but the first kit is pretty awesome too. Way too large for any Joe torsos besides Resolute Roadblock's mold, or maybe Bazooka. I've got both sets plus 40+ other cast parts laying on my guest bedroom bed, I'll have to check them out tonight.

And, um, also clean up that room or else I'll be murdered in my sleep by the woman-folk.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
which kit do you like better?

I think I'm going to end up using a mix of them... The more recent one is a more accurate shoulder pad armor, so I'll definitely be using that one, but the first kit is pretty awesome too. Way too large for any Joe torsos besides Resolute Roadblock's mold, or maybe Bazooka. I've got both sets plus 40+ other cast parts laying on my guest bedroom bed, I'll have to check them out tonight.

And, um, also clean up that room or else I'll be murdered in my sleep by the woman-folk.

I have to agree with Rex on liking Dave's shoulder pads better (plus his kit has the other part that KREXX'S doesn't), but I think I like KREXX's wrist-mounted crossbow and cinder-block hammer better.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Another thing to consider though, when selecting which crossbow to use, is that Dave's has Major Bludd's darts as the ammo (So, it'll be easy to determine what to put on RP's leg-strap) while KREXX's arrow is an original sculpt...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
so the pics on the site show one in black and one in resin...which one is which?

The one in black is Dave's (the more accurate shoulder pads and comes with the arm-pad), while the one in resin is KREXX's (the better looking cross-bow and hammer, but now arm-pad).

If you were going to go w/just one, Dave's would be the one to go with IMO.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Although the black one actually comes in flesh tone, haha. At least mine did, but a LOT of stuff from that preorder/wave came in flesh tone, if not all of it. So if you're expecting black, you may have to paint it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I just checked my Road Pig kits, and I have two of the exact same hammer. Were they supposed to be different? One came with each set. Everything else is different.

Damn you, I just spent about 15 minutes studying YoJoe's archives of the vintage Dreadnoks, and the original 3 are super different than their vintage versions... I think you may have talked me into the Ripper and Torch heads, and maybe the Buzzer, too. The Ripper head is probably the biggest improvement, but they're all much better than Hasbro's weird sculpts. 25th Torch's legs are nothing like the vintage!