00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Nothing really new but they have put up a updated pic of the first figure:

http://www.gijoeclub.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I'm really not excited for the first 2 figures. They both look stupid as hell to me.

added CG:

Last edited:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
If they release all the plans for the 12 figures and they have some solid classics in there, I will sign up and sell off the duds

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I think Quarrel looks fine. Too bad for Hasbro anybody on this site could just take their old Scarlett figures and make one for cheap.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I think Quarrel looks fine. Too bad for Hasbro anybody on this site could just take their old Scarlett figures and make one for cheap.

she looks okay I guess. I do like international figs but for $20-$30 a pop... They need to be better then this

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
emerald zap is cooler(only because I don't have a blue se though and I have an emerald zap) lol he is a cool lookin figure though, as is the caucasion stalker(I have him somewhere) and the red stalker(that is if you can find one and have a few g's to blow on a figure...needless to say I don't own him)

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Like most people, I'm going to have to see what else they have lined up for the sub. Quarrel is just a repaint and the Nano B.A.T. is one as well, but stupid one at that.

They've said they have some original sculpts planned for the sub (at least head sculpts). So, that's somewhat promising, but I wouldn't dare commit to the sub w/out seeing the rest of the lineup and some pics of the new sculpts.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
They've said they have some original sculpts planned for the sub (at least head sculpts). So, that's somewhat promising, but I wouldn't dare commit to the sub w/out seeing the rest of the lineup and some pics of the new sculpts.

that's how I feel as well. It doesn't sound like they are going to do it, but I really want them to release all 12 figs and at least show prototypes of them to see if they are worth it.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Well, according to General Joes, all 13 prototypes should be approved by the time the subscription officially opens. So there's no reason why they can't let us see them.

And if they don't, I say we all hold off buying subscriptions and email them every several days, explaining we won't commit to a subscription until we can see what we're getting. Even if it's just a few of us, at $250+ a person, that is not an unreasonable concession to make on their part.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Those are the $64,000 questions.

According to The Club's Facebook page, they'll release that info "in the next week or two"...

So expect to hear more vague updates over the next couple months.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
OH shit, A 5-year old sculpt painted green! Awesome! And a B.A.T. in glow-in-the-dark colors? Who wouldn't want that?

At least the Scarlett head looks decent painted up, although neither of these excites me one bit. That B.A.T. repaint is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and that figure is one of my favorite sculpts from the entire 25th run.

I think they'll at least give us some hint as to what we're getting (hopefully a list if not pics up front), but my fingers are crossed for Footloose and Cover-Girl. They'd be retarded not to knock those 2 off the list, as they're simple repaints at this point (from the JoeCon sets). Neither would require any new sculpting, so I hope that they don't count towards the "new sculpted" items and we get at least 1-2 more "ARAH" guys. I'll do the entire subscription if I get 4 ARAH guys from it.

The international and "new sculpt" updates don't interest me, and I think the new sculpt additions are kind of dumb... They just came out, what, within the last 10 years? There's a reason they're called "new sculpt" in the first place. I don't see a need to remake them so soon, personally.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I agree Rex. I will be shocked if they don't do a Footloose or Cover Girl unless Hasbro releases them, which is not likely. I have a feeling we'll also see that Iron Klaw that was planned during the 25th days.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I fully expect to have to flip at least half of them, as I expect them to be "fringe" ones that suck, like the neon B.A.T. I also think that Slice/Dice would be a good candidate for the sub, as all the parts exist there, too. And Hasbro announced those over a year ago, so they fall in the "cancelled" realm, too.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I fully expect to have to flip at least half of them, as I expect them to be "fringe" ones that suck, like the neon B.A.T. I also think that Slice/Dice would be a good candidate for the sub, as all the parts exist there, too. And Hasbro announced those over a year ago, so they fall in the "cancelled" realm, too.

I forgot about them. That does make sence. I also plan on selling most of mine off too... that's if I even sign up for it.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Doesn't speak much for our enthusiasm if we are already prepared to resell most of the subscription, even without knowing the figures.

Although I place the blame on The Club. There was a lot of initial enthusiasm when the subscription plan was first announced. They have been so vague and secretive since then that they allowed all of us to talk each other down.

Contrast that to OSC's ARAH subscription, which is very open, is soliciting ideas for figures, is showing work in progress, and is providing a forum where you can interact with the powers-that-be. I'm much more enthused about OSC's subscription than The Club's....

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Doesn't speak much for our enthusiasm if we are already prepared to resell most of the subscription, even without knowing the figures.

Although I place the blame on The Club. There was a lot of initial enthusiasm when the subscription plan was first announced. They have been so vague and secretive since then that they allowed all of us to talk each other down.

Contrast that to OSC's ARAH subscription, which is very open, is soliciting ideas for figures, is showing work in progress, and is providing a forum where you can interact with the powers-that-be. I'm much more enthused about OSC's subscription than The Club's....

I couldn't agree more. Even if they didn't show us pics right away. They could have at least given us some names and not just the 2 that they already leaked out... which too me, aren't good figures. Telling us the price couldn't hurt either.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That's the fault of the Club on that. For something like the "GI Joe Collector's Club", you'd think they'd be able to peg what folks wanted a little better. It's blunt, but I think they're a tad retarded to be putting out crap like the Nano B.A.T., unless it's just a way for Hasbro to shoe in leftover ROC crap that is just sitting in a warehouse and the Club got some super deal on them.

Frankly, I think they should be doing only hot figures, especially with their inaugural run, to get the most folks on-board, build excitement, and also to sell the shit out of these things. Lackluster options like "Nano-B.A.T." and "International Lazy Repaints" don't really seem to be getting anyone too excited, when all they need to do is repaint existing molds and probably slap a new head on them and call it a day. Hell, take a look at my customs, and you'll see 20-30 figures that just need a new damn head, or just to be repainted from existing 25th tooling (or from "new sculpt" tooling, like they used for ROC Monkeywrench's bandolier, or JoeCon "Sparta").

Cutter, Keel-Haul, Frostbite, Iceberg, Footloose, Law & Order, Cross-Country, Zandar, Ambush, Big Ben, Bullhorn, Night Creeper Leader, Cover-Girl, Heavy Duty, Rampart, Pathfinder, Rock N Roll V2, Colonel Courage, Desert Scorpion, Slice, Dice... Almost all could be done with a new head or less, with accuracy being akin to the Dial-Tone, if not better.

OR they could do kickass re-imaginings, like the JoeCon Wet-Suit. Hell, we could use non-specialty, more military-deco versions of Deep Six, Barbecue, Bazooka, etc... The list could go on and on.

I get that some people buy the international figures, but why not at least go for the most bang for the buck, and at least really get folks excited with the first year's offerings, and knock it out of the park, instead of a shitty lineup?

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Cutter, Keel-Haul, Frostbite, Iceberg, Footloose, Law & Order, Cross-Country, Zandar, Ambush, Big Ben, Bullhorn, Night Creeper Leader, Cover-Girl, Heavy Duty, Rampart, Pathfinder, Rock N Roll V2, Colonel Courage, Desert Scorpion, Slice, Dice... Almost all could be done with a new head or less, with accuracy being akin to the Dial-Tone, if not better.

Seeing that list gets me excited^^

I agree with your post Rex. It makes me wonder how much influence hasbro has on this subscription. I'm starting to think that the majority of these 13 figures are going to be "unreleased" figures like the first 2 that they have revealed. This means that TF Roadblock will be one of them. That doesn't make me want to fork over $200+ for.

I'm hoping they do a "bagged" cheaper version as well. Especially if they pull off a cool army builder.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
The Club could cause thousands of fan boys to simultaneously orgasm right now if they told us they were releasing a Footloose or a Cover Girl

I can understand (somewhat) why Hasbro plays their cards close to their chest...they are a multi-million dollar company. And they have to deal with stockholders, retailers, competitors, parents of new target audiences, etc.

The Club (IMO) should be "by fans for fans"...why the feel the need to be secretive and strictly-business is beyond me.

I'm trying to be optimistic here...but like the rest of you, I need a lot more to go on (like complete pictures of all the figures) before I commit. Because honestly, I think it's weird that, if they wanted to get us excited about the subscription, those are the two figures the Club would pick to represent the line.

I already have $300 set aside for this subscription...but that money might be better spent doing serious damage to my vintage want list....

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The Club (IMO) should be "by fans for fans"...why the feel the need to be secretive and strictly-business is beyond me.

I'm trying to be optimistic here...but like the rest of you, I need a lot more to go on (like complete pictures of all the figures) before I commit. Because honestly, I think it's weird that, if they wanted to get us excited about the subscription, those are the two figures the Club would pick to represent the line.

Exactly! Get the fans involved. Maybe even set up a poll with 4-6 possible figures that we can vote on for the 13th fig or maybe even the next year if it even goes another year.

You would think, if your going to announce 2 of the 13, you announce at least 1 of your heavy hitters. I would release one of the most sought after, best looking figures first, to get all of us to say "I must sign up, cuz I can't go without that figure". To me, and most of this forum and others that I lurk, The Scarlett and roc Bat don't do that.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well, I know that folks like to give them a lot of shit, but some of those guys at HT actually did put together a "highly-requested" list, and they're who you'd expect... 25th figures that we've not gotten yet. Whether folks are tired of it and want to move on or not, people STILL want a ton of those 25th/ARAH guys, and the JoeCon/Dial-Tone sets should be proof that they sell like hotcakes. Sneak in a few of the new sculpt and international guys and over the years add more, as it'd take 2-3 years for them to take care of the rest of the early ARAH guys...

Seriously, they don't even need to do a poll to begin with. Release 8 of the ones in my list (those are just some of the unreleased characters from 1982-90), and people would go nuts for them. To me, they're no-brainers and fit in with what's sold like crazy already. Let Hasbro tackle the guys like Lifeline, Jinx, Sci-Fi etc that require all-new sculpting... Along with the POC-ish modern updates and new characters... But the Club should be wanting people to go gaga over the first year's subscription so they get a bunch lined up for year 2 and so on...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
for sure. I don't care what anybody says, nobody is gonna sell as well as arah/25th figures. Like you mentioned, look at Zarana/Dial Tone. I know some people want to move on but like you said, many of us don't. The only reason I'm even a collector and on this forum as well as others is cuz of the 25th line. I didn't touch a Toy from 93-07 and I rarely buy anything that isn't arah inspired.

I mainly suggest the poll so they could get fans inspired and excited. Like Char said, this is the fans club, that we pay to be a part of. We should feel more involved.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Eventually, a fan poll would be needed, I think, to keep the selection relevant. But probably like year 3 or so. They should have enough common sense to know what ones are wanted up front, which is where they need to get the most excitement brewing, and the most people on-board.

I get that they may not want to blow all of them in the first year, but I also think they'd be dumb to stretch them out forever, too. Once they stopped the 25th updates, they're guaranteed to see a massive drop-off, but if they keep cool re-imaginings like JoeCon Wet-Suit that are comic references, or even if they bring out Sunbow guys like Admiral Ledger, I think they'll keep those ARAH guys longer than if they do less 25th updates in-between.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I think they will be one and done. I'm not expecting a year 2. The reason is, I think they are mostly getting Hasbro's left overs and that's why they are doing this. Just like how they got the ROC CC drone thing. I hope I'm wrong but that's the feeling I'm getting.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I also wouldn't mind some sunbow figs, Sunbow Twins in suits would kick ass! A Hector Ramierez would be cool too

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I think they will be one and done. I'm not expecting a year 2. The reason is, I think they are mostly getting Hasbro's left overs and that's why they are doing this. Just like how they got the ROC CC drone thing. I hope I'm wrong but that's the feeling I'm getting.

I think you're right. Not to say that there won't be a year 2, but rather the basis of what the Club will be releasing will be leftover molds. So instead of moving linearly and thinking "OK, what would the fans want....OK, we'll make that", they are moving backwards, like a customizer trying to clean out his fodder bin "OK, I have this torso and these legs...what can I make?"

Some customizers can do amazing work, even with that limited inventory...others, not so much.

New head sculpts make me somewhat hopeful. But I doubt we are going to see the number of fan-favorites as we are expecting/hoping.

Pure speculation on my part, although The Club hasn't done or said anything to quell these rumors....