G.I. Joe 2016 Lineup

Flint

You have just been Sarged
Feb 20, 2012
South Central Wisconsin
Yes. I bet you anything they do a series, starting with a limited run, featuring maybe Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Scarlet and Stalker or something like that.

Than they'll continue based on whether it's successful or not. Given the popularity of the size and what customizers could do, plus the availability of ML and SWTBS molds to supplement new sculpting, they'll probably end up making more...

More likely Duke Snake Eyes Cobra Commander and either Storm Shadow/Firefly. All based off the horrible movies.

Lets also not forget Hasblows distribution issues for pretty much all of their toy lines.

So lets just say no, for our wallets sake.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
I don't see a 1:12 Joe line in our future. Sure, 1:12 is currently the most successful scale of modern action figures, but there's not enough of a market for Hasbro to do a "Black Series" for Joe. Star Wars succeeds on the love people have for the franchise, which allows them to continue creating new parts and whatnot for specific characters because people will buy them. Marvel Legends have a vast amount of disposable body molds, which allows for basically any character to be made on the same 4-5 bucks.

As happy as I'd be to get a squad of 1:12 Cobras, and my boys Flint and BH, I just don't think it's in the cards.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Little more info *

A gijoe line would consistently need new parts for characters, and sure at some point they'd have the molds to reuse for practically everyone, it would cost $ to reach that point, and we all know Hasbro is a bunch of cheap bastards.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've stayed strong avoiding 6" Marvel. I think I could resist 6" Joes.

Yup, no interest in 1:12 Joes. We might get a handful if/when the next movie comes out, but they won't turn into what the 25th anniversary line did.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm not opposed to the scale (MOTUC and DCUC gave me no choice), it's just that I don't feel like starting over again.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Considering those original two 25th 5 packs dragged every last one of us into modern Joe collecting, I think it's safe to say not many of us could resist the exact same pack at SWBS detail level in the 6" scale. Especially if they sold them for $50 to suck you in.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
If the packaging was as as eye catching as those originals, the struggle will be real. I have 4 of the Black Series and they are great if you just want a handful of figures for nostalgia.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Singles @ $20? We'd all have trouble passing those up if they were as well done as SW/Marvel...

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
In theory, it would be awesome to see. Especially if Hasbro went full in with the line, I just don't see it happening. I mean, they did designate current Gijoes to a TRU exclusive line.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
In theory, it would be awesome to see. Especially if Hasbro went full in with the line, I just don't see it happening. I mean, they did designate current Gijoes to a TRU exclusive line.

TrU was the only taker. No one wants this dud of a property outside of movie years.

Maybe if Trump manages to MAGA (Make the Army Great Again) we'll get a "fuck, yeah! G.I. Joe!" resurgence.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Think about how popular 3rd party 4 inch figures are right now. Would enough people be willing to dump that for a 6 inch line?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think you grossly overestimate the 3P 4" market. It's mostly the same few hundred people backing all these kickstarters. I doubt they would even register on the hasbro radar.

TrU is the only taker for 4" joes because none of us need a fourth Croc Master repaint, not because we stopped liking GIJoe.

I get that most BnM stores only want media tie-in stuff. But the 25th line was a huge success sans-media. If they did something like that on a limited trial basis (like five Joes, five Cobras) in 6" for the 35th anniversary, I suspect enough people would buy-in to warrant additional figures. It likely wouldn't last long enough for them to get to the Sky Patrol and ECO Warriors, but who the fuck cares? 82-85 and I'd be happy... throw in a few key guys from 86 & 87 and I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I bought a couple different multipacks of 50th joes dirting the very brief window they where available. all but this one figure is going to a fellow tanker in France...still haven't gotten their female trooper although IMO my not so good version is better.

Anyways,shooter is a really good figure! Tons of new tooling! I hated the rocker ankles for a while without some kind of upper leg or thigh swivel,but it seems they finally toed the figures out a little making it kinda work for once.

my only complaints are the oversized holsters,overall lack of sculpt detail,and no wrist pivot. the side arm&silencer both appear to be new! Maybe even the knife?

Unfortunately every other figure appears to be repaint and kitbash stuff...still compared to what else is available lately these gijoes are the best thing to be had at the moment. If SW 3.75" BS would lose those crappy elbow knees I feel the stronger sculpts,and more diversity would win me over tho.

blackrazor1

Enlisted
Dec 25, 2013
I bought a couple different multipacks of 50th joes dirting the very brief window they where available. all but this one figure is going to a fellow tanker in France...still haven't gotten their female trooper although IMO my not so good version is better.

Anyways,shooter is a really good figure! Tons of new tooling! I hated the rocker ankles for a while without some kind of upper leg or thigh swivel,but it seems they finally toed the figures out a little making it kinda work for once.

my only complaints are the oversized holsters,overall lack of sculpt detail,and no wrist pivot. the side arm&silencer both appear to be new! Maybe even the knife?

Unfortunately every other figure appears to be repaint and kitbash stuff...still compared to what else is available lately these gijoes are the best thing to be had at the moment. If SW 3.75" BS would lose those crappy elbow knees I feel the stronger sculpts,and more diversity would win me over tho.

I don't like limited range of motion in her arms or that her rifle falls apart so easily. I can't believe they thought that holster was a good idea; even though, I like the pistol. I like the hairstyle on the head, but the head feels a bit undersized.

After seeing the Marauder version, I'm not really sure I want to keep my Shooter.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think you grossly overestimate the 3P 4" market. It's mostly the same few hundred people backing all these kickstarters. I doubt they would even register on the hasbro radar.

TrU is the only taker for 4" joes because none of us need a fourth Croc Master repaint, not because we stopped liking GIJoe.

I get that most BnM stores only want media tie-in stuff. But the 25th line was a huge success sans-media. If they did something like that on a limited trial basis (like five Joes, five Cobras) in 6" for the 35th anniversary, I suspect enough people would buy-in to warrant additional figures. It likely wouldn't last long enough for them to get to the Sky Patrol and ECO Warriors, but who the fuck cares? 82-85 and I'd be happy... throw in a few key guys from 86 & 87 and I'd be ecstatic.

Yeah, maybe. Or make them super expensive (Like Sideshow) and sell them on specialty sites.. that might work too :crying:

The 25th line was something special, but I think it was also perfectly timed. 25th anniversary means their target audience was in the 30-40 age range, and at the perfect time to hit them with disposable income. The good stuff mostly came out in 2007-2008, before the economy really hit the shitter too.

It's success also became it's undoing though, since they kept going to the well.. and we started to get the crap figures that no one REALLY wanted sprinkled in with a few that we did (and another 100 Snake Eyes).

When they got rid of the "Retro" packaging it was when I stopped MOC/MISB collecting. When they added "spring loaded launchers!" I stopped caring about GI JOE and only used things for customs. When they did shit for the 30th anniversary, I stopped collecting.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I just pick up random figures, probably about 25% of what they're putting at TrU. Still, if you bought them all, a dozen figures annually hardly counts as "collecting".

I have no delusions that a 6" line would recapture lightning in a bottle. The 25th 4" line was a perfect storm. But I do think larger figures would have enough of a following to be worth the effort. The popularity of Marvel Legends, DC Multiverse, MOTUC, and SW Black tells us that there are a lot of toy people interested in the scale.

I think if they'd just make a single SDCC 6" Joe 2-pack or something and watch the excitement blow up, they'd see the value in it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I look at TRU.com from time to time, and have a $100 giftcard burning a hole in my pocket.. but just can't justify spending it on any of the Joe's there. That's as much an indictment of my interest in toys as it is their offerings.

I think if they wanted to do a test run, it should be another 5-pack. Make it $99.95. 2 Joes vs 2 Cobra and a mystery figure or something. It'd end up being Duke & Snake-Eyes vs Cobra Commander & Croc Master Storm Shadow :) but it could be done right. Maybe make the 5th figure a random chance between a Blue Shirt Cobra or a Green Shirt Joe and/or a chase figure (Firefly/Sgt Slaughter/Destro).

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
No chase figures!... that would be a scalper's paradise. Maybe a pair of three-packs (Hasbro loves ML 3-packs). Duke/Hawk, Snake Eyes, Stalker for the Joes... Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow/Firefly, and blue shirt in the Cobra set.

Joe fans have a rep of being cheap, but if you look at the longevity of the FSS and their willingness to pay $30 for a 4" Tiger Force Sneek Peek, then I can only conclude that there would be more than enough support for well-sculpted popular characters in the 6" scale, even at small-run collector prices like MOTUC.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
No chase figures!... that would be a scalper's paradise. Maybe a pair of three-packs (Hasbro loves ML 3-packs). Duke/Hawk, Snake Eyes, Stalker for the Joes... Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow/Firefly, and blue shirt in the Cobra set.

Joe fans have a rep of being cheap, but if you look at the longevity of the FSS and their willingness to pay $30 for a 4" Tiger Force Sneek Peek, then I can only conclude that there would be more than enough support for well-sculpted popular characters in the 6" scale, even at small-run collector prices like MOTUC.

Well that'd be assuming its through BBTS or something. Scalper prices are one of the only reason GI JOE was successful. People thinking they can make a buck by buying them keeps them selling. :fuckit: