Joe Con 2015

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah talked about that in the Hasbro panel...said storm shadow versus snake eyes has been done a lot what else could they do...someone suggested Sunbow cartoons of Spirit versus SS and that's what they gave us.

Pfft. Only nerds watched that.

So much for him being a breath of fresh air. I could have overlooked the blue granting that these were fodder figures, but the wave 1 Rockblock legs are unacceptable.

I thought Spirit was interesting until I got to those damn Snake Eyes legs. I noticed that quite a bit in the pics, those dubious parts decisions.

I noticed a lot of add part selection too. Almost like they are going in a semi-futuristic direction with some of them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It just doesn't mesh. Then there's that ancient MASS Device pack. *shakes head*

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The least they could have done there is replace the dated Cobras with the new ones.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There were a couple of ways to go about it, but this was the worst. Updated Duke and Trooper would have worked, as would just releasing Alpine and that device piece elsewhere, or even combining the "best" figures of the sets into one.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I admit I'm assuming that it will be included, otherwise that set has no point. I don't put it past Hasbro to have missed that, though.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
If hasbro leaves that crucial part out, I'm going to ebay the f#$% out of the sets I bought back in the day. I bought three of each set from BBTS, but I cannot tell you why I ever thought I'd need three MASS devices. One for Cobra, one for Joe, and a MIB set maybe? I bought a lot of doubles and triples back then inexplicably.

Maybe I thought my son would need his own set. He's now 8 and doesn't give two shits about Joes or action figures. If it's not lego, it doesn't blip his radar. So apparently I've got a lot of fodder for customs or ebay.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm underwhelmed but there's more that interests me in this lineup than last year's

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Just because the press images haven't been shared yet:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Also, no discussion of the FSS 4.0 lineup?

1. Barricade
  2. Billy (Cobra Commander’s son)
  3. Bullhorn
  4. Interrogator
  5. Law & Order
  6. Cobra Inferno B.A.T.
  7. Nunchuk
  8. Night Creeper (Ice Ninja)
  9. Pathfinder
  10. Jammer (Z-Force Communications)
  11. Tiger Force Sneak Peek (UK Repaint)
  12. Tiger Force Outback (UK Repaint)
or Pythona as the subscription figure for 2015?

I know a lot of people here don't care, but I thought there'd be some interest.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No device piece. Wow, that takes the cake.

I listed the FSS line-up, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I was busy with my ex moving out, but it doesn't look like I missed a lot.

There are a few gems and some nice "in case you missed them" reissues (more or less "too little, too late" in that department, if you ask me) and some interesting fodder, but holy shit like 3/4 of it is just FrankenJoe bullshit made-up characters.

And why in shit's name would those retards reissue the Mass Device set, without the last piece, split them up, and at LEAST not update them?! Fuck!

I'm actually disappointed to see no Roadblock, Duke, or v2 Hawk "ultimate" update. Those guys are very prominent Joes, and still missing good figures. Instead of those fucking CC repaints and yet another Zartan, it would've been cool to see a Major Bludd update with two arms that move.

Torpedo, Gung Ho (yesss!!!!), Joe Storm Shadow, maybe that Chuckles? There's a few I'm obviously missing but those are pretty much the only highlights of the set.

A "redo" of the Mass Device set with the updated parts would've been an easy sell to me to get a good classic Duke and another trooper, and at least the 50th CC is great. But those old-ass 25th parts? Good God, they're dumb.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Also, no discussion of the FSS 4.0 lineup?

1. Barricade
  2. Billy (Cobra Commander’s son)
  3. Bullhorn
  4. Interrogator
  5. Law & Order
  6. Cobra Inferno B.A.T.
  7. Nunchuk
  8. Night Creeper (Ice Ninja)
  9. Pathfinder
  10. Jammer (Z-Force Communications)
  11. Tiger Force Sneak Peek (UK Repaint)
  12. Tiger Force Outback (UK Repaint)
or Pythona as the subscription figure for 2015?

I know a lot of people here don't care, but I thought there'd be some interest.

Decent lineup. If that stupid Ice Ninja bullshit and the international repaint trash wasn't in there, it'd be a lot more solid. Why the fuck are they doing TF Sneak Peek first?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Decent lineup. If that stupid Ice Ninja bullshit and the international repaint trash wasn't in there, it'd be a lot more solid. Why the fuck are they doing TF Sneak Peek first?

I'll be getting Billy for certain, though. He's one of those characters (like Kwinn or the Oktober Guard) that I always wanted a figure of when I was a kid.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
My friend has a theory on the DVD #5 pack reissue. Since it never reached mass retail in huge numbers, perhaps a large quantity was found in a factory or warehouse or somewhere. The only true when to know when they were produced is to look at the date stamp on the figure. If it was a new run of those figures, I can't explain why they would put them out again.

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
Happy to see the Heavy IG make a comeback but I wish they would've packaged the Shock Trooper with the Steel Brigade. Some of these pairings make my head :explode:

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
I like that pairing better. 3-pack of Troopers and a Mountain Mayhem 2-pack with Alpine and Rock Viper. Oh well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I can just see Bullhorn's accessory compliment now. Low Light's gun, case and probably spotting scope.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Destro had a rifle that disassembled? or are we referring to the case with the MP5 in it?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wow, I definitely like that route better. Shit, if I had realized that he came with that I might have bought that damn set.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Meh.

I mean, it's not NOTHING so that's nice. The Gung Ho looks cool. The rest is a mishmash of OK and UGH.

The colors are pretty bad though. So much blue and orangy red.

SDCC exclusives do absolutely nothing for me, which I guess is good since I'm not going this year.

Hopefully they do OK so we'll get some more interesting stuff next year.

Is there an expected date for these?

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
I like that pairing better. 3-pack of Troopers and a Mountain Mayhem 2-pack with Alpine and Rock Viper. Oh well.

Yeah, that makes much more sense. But then we'd probably complain about all the useless Alpines to army build the Rock Vipers. Named characters should always be single packs! They should've done a Rock Viper/ Range Viper 2 pack.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, that makes much more sense. But then we'd probably complain about all the useless Alpines to army build the Rock Vipers. Named characters should always be single packs!

Or come with accessories/heads to make them into army builders.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Happy to see the Heavy IG make a comeback but I wish they would've packaged the Shock Trooper with the Steel Brigade. Some of these pairings make my head.

If it doesn't make sense, then "it's all about the money" probably applies. In this instance, separating figures that make more sense forces interested buyers into buying more sets. Or in an instance where a named figure is in a set of troop builders, it forces more sales of the named character with people who troop build.

Topside

Disgruntled Goat
Aug 6, 2012
NYS- Finger Lakes
If it doesn't make sense, then "it's all about the money" probably applies. In this instance, separating figures that make more sense forces interested buyers into buying more sets. Or in an instance where a named figure is in a set of troop builders, it forces more sales of the named character with people who troop build.

Better/ more sensible pairings would have the same effect (more sales). If you know that people are only gonna buy "x" amount of a figure because it is a named character then single pack it and make fewer of them.
I actually miss the 25th line. the sculpts might look dated now but it seems as though they at least put some thought into what they offered then.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
I don't think we can crap on the new Brand Manager Mark Weber too hard for what was shown. The guy was announced in Janaury, probably took the job in November or December. 4 months isn't that much time to throw stuff together based on what he would like to see. Next year's offerings will better reflect his vision.

Nothing has topped John Warden's Pursuit of Cobra line. Innovative figures, some semblence of a storyline connecting the figures, nice packaging art. Now he's moved over to Transformers and has done more of the same with Combiner Wars.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, blue camo and a 95% grey Hit and Run is a pretty poor start. I want to know who came up with clown shoes Cobra Commander. Man alive that figure is hideous.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
What ever happened to John Warden?

I remember talking to him at SDCC a few years ago and he seemed like he really loved the hobby/GI JOE and was trying to make it better. He was really excited to see some of the modern/realism twists we put into our customs.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Warden moved over to Transformers. He's spearheading Combiner Wars. He was front and center at Toy Fair when they unveiled Titan Class Devastator.