JoyToy 1:18 |OT| Basically what we've always wanted

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
If you're talking about my humvee, thank you! You're getting me motivated to finish it. Definitely PM Pickelhaube on here. He'll sort you with the wheel covers. Not too expensive and well worth taking the build to the next level. AND you don't need to be an expert modeler. You will need a tool to cut the metal axels though. I used a Dremel cutting tool. Most wire cutters probably won't be strong enough.

If you're talking about my humvee, thank you!
HOLY SHITBALLS that looks amazing!

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
Pickelhaube makes the "mine thingy" as well. He can hook you up with most of what you need. Then source the gas cans, gear etc from various 1:18 toy lines, accessories, etc.

I also picked up a Hiyah Predator... for reasons.

Also looking to do something like this...as I've found a reasonably priced humvee. Just waiting on shipping for everything.

I'll just need: the mine thingy on the front, a push bar, a spare tire, some gasoline cans, ammo cans, misc. equipment. No idea where to find any of that... and I don't have a 3D printer.

jersey john

Mar 13, 2018
They all look great bro. I bought 2 of these humvees for 10 bucks each. I also need to order from pickle. One is getting a pretty serious customization the other just mainly paint and window dressing. I’ll post the pics when I’m done with my predator hunting unit. Keep up the good work

Ps I’m stealing that idea for the tow launcher. That piece really came alive with some love

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
So I went with 1/18 Joy Toy Chinese Military PLA infantryman instead of OpFor. I need to find a moderately priced (not hundreds of dollars) vehicle that would fit the chinese military themes. I've checked ebay and they want $288+ for something like that in 1/18. Fucking nuts.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
So I went with 1/18 Joy Toy Chinese Military PLA infantryman instead of OpFor. I need to find a moderately priced (not hundreds of dollars) vehicle that would fit the chinese military themes. I've checked ebay and they want $288+ for something like that in 1/18. Fucking nuts.
PTE makes a 4 seat buggy and an APV straight out of the PLA’s inventory.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I managed to find a 1/18 Power Team tank for a good price. It looks very similar to a Chinese PLA Type 99 Main Battle Tank. With some tweaking, I can get it there.

Yeah it cleans up nicely (or dirties up?)

It is definitely on the SMALL side though.

Reactions: Sgt301

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Yeah it cleans up nicely (or dirties up?)

It is definitely on the SMALL side though.
Pretty sexy. That one yours? The one I bought is missing the machine gun on top and the antennas. I'll have to find replacements...

But! It's pretty accurate to the real deal.
Screenshot_20200626-185340_Chrome.jpg

This is the one I got:
Screenshot_20200626-185414_eBay.jpg

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah it was mine, I started it like.. shit, probably 8 years ago? Long long time ago. It still looks the same, I haven't gotten to really detailing it, but wanted to get rid of the stock paintjob above. It's a nice little tank, and I always appreciate something non-US.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Anyone have a suggestion for quality 1/18 weapon slings?

Lots of people use hockey tape.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I want some OpFor troops, but I don't want modern, geared-up chiner and russian guys. I need some 'Nam, cold-war era stuff. Russians with fuzzy hats, Charlie's, and a few towel heads. Back when bad guys were easy to identify...

Although it does make me laugh to consider Chinese troops running around with hi-tech gear designed and manufactured in china. I'll bet their NVGs quit working after 12 minutes, then the batteries overheat and catch on fire.

• Haha

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I doubt any of the high end stuff was designed there. More likely reverse engineered from US, Russian, Japanese, Korean and European tech.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Oh, I have no doubt. I may have told this story on here before, but I have first-hand knowledge of the chinese and their half-ass attempts to copy my work when I was in telecom. I firmly believe that the CCP and their totalitarian society greatly disincentivizes creativity, free thought, and original ideas. They are punished for having ideas, so they've effective bred the creativity out of their population. They have no choice but to steal tech, and they're not all that great at it. When their copied shit works, it's a happy accident, not because they have any clue what they're doing.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
So I wanted the cream of the crop from the beginning...I picked up some Joytoy Navy Seals for a price I couldn't refuse!
Screenshot_20200716-065611_eBay.jpg

Also have plans to pick up some PLA marines once they become available!
Screenshot_20200716-065844_eBay.jpg

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Where did you find these and how much did they cost? I’ve bought two sets so far of Joy Toys cool figures but have to save some money before I step out again 😉

Only available on the post-secondary market now I'm afraid (I paid about $115 including shipping). The marines will be out shortly!

Sgt301

Oct 20, 2018
Okay, I was hoping you had found a online seller that was selling them $50 a set with free shipping (then I awoke from my nap) 😉

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Okay, I was hoping you had found a online seller that was selling them $50 a set with free shipping (then I awoke from my nap) 😉
I’ve invited ShowZ Store to sign up and keep us up to date with new JoyToy product since they maintain a good relationship with many members of other toy boards. They also have that $50 squad with free shipping you are looking for.

1595423313500.jpeg

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
$50 for 5 with free shipping makes me want to buy a second set. I know I’ll regret not doing it in a year or so since US sellers have it for $75 +SH
You cant beat that price and you'll never see them that low again. Secondary market for JoyToy is stupid expensive. Especially for the good sets!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The new PLA soldiers are the nicest yet in my collection. They come fully assembled, no extra weapons and ditched the plastic cases. I hope this is how they do it for future sets to keep the cost down. These guys are a steal at $60.

A62A4927-3596-4B00-AD8E-B5DE9AF0D788.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Sgt301 and NSA

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
How huge of quads these guys must have to strap 4 AR mags across them, then 4 pistol mags in on top of that. That would be like 20 pounds plus just in mags strapped to one leg!