Marvel Legends

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah I know, wrong scale. :rolleyes:

Anyone here collect these? I didn't see a ML thread in the Marvel subsection, so I figured I'd start one.

I just ordered the new Jean Grey and most recent Archangel. I've got about 5-10 I'm considering buying to add to my collection, mostly X-Men, X-Villains or Avengers to help wrap up my ML collection.

Does anyone have any "must-have" ML figure they'd suggest from either of those camps?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yes, I've been collecting ML for years. I've focused on X-Men characters and villains, but I'll admit that I've bought a crap-ton of other figures just for the BAF parts. I have a lot of avengers too. Looking back, I'll bet I have about 70% of the figures they've ever produced.

I don't have the new Jean Grey yet, but Archangel is pretty sweet.

Which ones are you planning to get?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't collect them, but still managed to acquire a few anyhow.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Used to collect it, but I'm getting rid of mine now. Trying to streamline the stuff I have.

If DC ever did a decent 1:18 line I'd probably dump my DC Universe stuff too.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I started buying them to stockpile for my kids, who were (and still are) a bit young for ML. However, that was long before MU came along. Had MU been first, I'd probably have skipped the 6" versions.

But then again, I'm friggin' giddy about the SW 6" line, so who knows. I tend to be a sucker for both scales and collect WAY too many lines anyhow. the irony will be when neither of my kids has any interest whatsoever, and I end up selling it off. At least most of it is still MOC.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yes, I've been collecting ML for years. I've focused on X-Men characters and villains, but I'll admit that I've bought a crap-ton of other figures just for the BAF parts. I have a lot of avengers too. Looking back, I'll bet I have about 70% of the figures they've ever produced.

I don't have the new Jean Grey yet, but Archangel is pretty sweet.

Which ones are you planning to get?

I skipped buying figures I didn't want and just bought the BAFs that I wanted complete off eBay. This was 4-5 years ago so they weren't as nuts.

So far, my Avengers team is pretty sparse. I've got classic Thor, movie Iron Man, classic Cap, movie Hulk (the ML wv1 with the Norton-Hulk head, got it on clearance at Target for $6) and I'm considering getting Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Black Widow, and the upcoming classic Hawkeye. I'm not a fan of Pym or Wasp, but I kinda need those two, I guess, if I get the others.

Loners I've got are Movie Spidey, movie Doc Ock, Venom, Punisher and Deadpool.

BAFs I've got are 1.5 Sentinels (the half came from the carded figs I bought from that wave), Blob, and Apocalypse. I've considered finishing the other Sentinel but think it'll be impossible. Problem is, only 2 of the 3 parts I have connect, and they don't look cool. :(

X-Men I've got are Xavier, Jim Lee Cyclops, 2 versions of the tiger stripe Wolvie, green Phoenix, Gambit, Rogue, Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, red Angel, Cable, Bishop, Beast... (All in Jim Lee deco) and the new Archangel and Jean (Jean arrives today). Villains I've got are Sinister, Sabretooth, Magneto, Juggernaut, Mystique, Pyro, and then the BAFs I mentioned.

X-characters I am considering are: Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch (these two I can't decide if they'll be Avengers or villain deco/affiliation), Omega Red, Forge, Shadowcat and regular scale Apocalypse. I've all but bought brown suit Wolverine, because I think that's the best sculpt of him so far in a deco I want.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Sadly, I think I have all of those you're talking about, most still in the package.

I have two full BAF sentinels (holy smoke that's an awesome figure). I know I have one loose, and one full set still MIP... and I can't remember if I bought another loose one or not. I find it odd that the ML sentinel is 4" shorter than the MU sentinel.... although one could argue that sentinel scales have varied tremendously over the history of the x-men.

I bought a loose Mojo and Blob because I didn't want either of those full waves. And I bought a pair of Red Hulk legs from the Target exclusive wave. I don't even like Rulk, but since I had all the parts but the legs, I thought I should finish him. And I wasn't going to pay rare-figure prices for Adam Warlock and WWH Surfer just for some Rulk legs though.

Come to think of it, I probably have a ton of BAF parts for BAFs I didn't like enough to buy the whole wave. Those parts might be worth something. I might have half of Giant Man and Galactus (another one that's been dwarfed by his MU counterpart).

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, I didn't buy the MU Sentinel because I like the look of the ML one so much better. The head is perhaps the only better designed part on the newer one.

Is that the retail one? I recall that the SDCC one was in the more "classic" deco, wasn't he?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I've thought about "battle-damaging" the shit out of the two limbs I have (I have a leg and arm, I can't remember which side, or if they're the same even) but the lower torso is pretty much useless without the top half. The giant pegs make it look too strange, and you'd have to cut away too much to make it look cool.

I haven't been able to find the upper torso (which is the core element I really need to make tracking down the other limbs worthwhile) for less than $75-100, which is silly. I may as well just buy a damned full one at that price.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I bought an SDCC satana, and that's a fantastic female buck. It's by far the best female ML has ever done. It should be the standard for all female characters going forward. I think satana is going to become a 6" Baroness custom.

MR, did you buy any of the Legends Icons? I got all the x-men ones plus several extras I planned to customize. But now I don't know where I'd put a slew of 12" figures.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think I had the gigantic Spiderman and Hulk? That was before my lovely fire, so I don't own them anymore.

Well fuck me, USPS. Thanks for not delivering Jean Grey today. She's been circling Richmond, CA for the last day and a half. Morons.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Should I get the older ML Hawkeye, or the new one that's coming out in the current wave, but the "variant" classic deco?

The old one has this awesome arrow with a tiny Ant-Man:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, the new one looks better sculpt-wise, but the old ones looked... grittier? And had cooler accessories.

So I was looking at finishing my half-a-Sentinel on eBay, and there's only ONE upper torso at all on eBay, and the fucking thing has been customized with LED lights and is selling for like $150 or something outrageous. I have the left leg and arm, and lower torso. The right arm I need comes with the Black Panther (who I don't really want, since I prefer the newer one), and the leg I need comes with the damned Sinister that I already have (I bought him loose years ago for cheap before wanting the Sentinel) and folks are wanting $20-25 apiece for the right limbs.

I can get another Sinister and leg, AND one of those clear "levitating" stands for around $30. :rolleyes: Even then, without the upper torso to complete it, I'd have 5/6 of a Sentinel. I spotted a complete one for $70 shipped, minus the tentacles...

Speaking of, that makes me want Omega Red even more now...

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well hell, the USPS DID deliver Jean today. :rolleyes:

Their tracking system has been down all day and the package was in SF all morning, so I figured that Monday would be the earliest I saw her. I'd signed up for alerts, but since their site was down... I hadn't received the "your item was delivered" email. Sigh. Anyways, 2 days late, but she arrived. I saw a box sitting at the mailbox when I went out to grab dinner.

I got the entire lower half of Rocket Raccoon, which is weird. I'm not really a fan of the Build-a-Figure concept, but have liked some of their figures. RR isn't one I give a damn about though, so if anyone needs the base half (torso, legs and tail) let me know.

Jean's pretty awesome, considering I've been waiting on her Jim Lee deco since I started collecting the ML X-Men about 6 or 7 years ago. Her arms are hindered by single-jointed elbows and the shoulder pads, and I can't quite get the "telekinetic hand gesture" like I want, but I guess she's pretty good. The balled-up fist is a bit of a disappointment, though. I never like them on figures, especially 6" ones.

Also opened Archangel finally, and he's WAY more impressive. Although he's part of the "Hit Monkey" BAF wave, he doesn't actually contain a part, which I thought was stupid. I guess his gigantic wings took up too much plastic/space, and I don't really care about that BAF, but the idea of a BAF figure not coming with any parts seems sort of, well, shitty?

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Only 3 of the figures in that wave come with the BAF parts.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The $70 BAF Sentinel I was watching just went down to $60, shipped. The individual right arm and leg I was watching were $40 total, and the only upper torso I could find was in a MOSC "First Appearance Spider-Man" which I DO_NOT_WANT for $60 shipped, so I said fuck it, and pulled the trigger on the complete one because I'm not spending $100 on half a Sentinel and a goofy looking Spiderman from 3 different sellers. $60 shipped for a 99.5%-complete Sentinel is damned good, if you ask me.

The only thing he's missing are the two tentacles, which I can easily get by buying a loose Omega Red, or borrowing one from my spare left arm that I already have anyways...

Still, that leaves me and my OCD, doesn't-like-to-waste-things hoarder self with HALF a damned unassembled Sentinel, so if anyone still needs those parts or is willing to sell the right leg, right arm or upper torso, let me know. ;)

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The real answer is: Everything I own has been in storage for the last 4 1/2 years. So I don't remember what I have or what it looks like. And I'm tired of not seeing my stuff, and my frustration is seeping out...

I pulled the same thing with Psylocke. Apparently I DID have her.

Cable's in the very back, I just set them all up on my coffee table to get all the X-Men out. Not pictured are Angel and Phoenix, since their Jim Lee counterparts are in the shot. :)

All that's left is Jubilee!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
She's an upcoming BAF, no?

Nice pic! I think I have all the ones from your shot, except I have the black-suit storm and I have the three Iceman variants from the X-Men movie line instead of the ML w8 version.

I go back and forth on Colossus. The w5 version has a tough expression, but his jaw is exaggerated to the point of distraction. The x-men line version is a little too Cassady Astonishing baby-faced. I wish they'd make either of the versions below... The best looking so far is the Diamond select version, but he's way too tall to put with other ML.

And the only place Bishop should be is under the foot of the sentinel. What a terrible character. He was bad when he was a 90's Cable rip-off, but now that the comics have made him a raving, child-killing nutjob, I have even less use for him.

Attachments

• Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_209.jpg
    Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_209.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1868162-uncanny_x_men__1963__233d.jpg
    1868162-uncanny_x_men__1963__233d.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 3

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Speaking of Iceman, his crotch broke tonight. I've barely moved the damn legs, but the ratcheting mechanism forced the front of the lower torso to shear off. That clear plastic is more brittle than the opaque plastic of the other figures. I glued it back, but I may end up painting his "panties" to help hide the split. (It's clamped drying right now, I won't be able to tell till I give it proper time to dry.)

As far as Bishop, I'm okay with him. He's got a cool enough power, and he helps add some diversity to the team. The one I can't stand is Psylocke. She's such a totally worthless character, other than being a hot girl in a skimpy outfit. Why in the hell does that Cable not come with a damn gun? (He came with that silly "riders" gun-bike thing, but Cable should have an absurd gun, and doesn't really come with one.)

I'm definitely buying the brown suit Wolverine when I get back from vacation. The height of that earlier tiger-stripe Wolverine (he's as tall or taller than Cyclops), paired with the missing chest joint, bugs the life out of me. And damn those warpy claws! Why in fuck's name they can't just give him rigid claws, I'll never know. I know it's some child safety nonsense, but the sai on Deadpool are actually pointy-sharp. Why the shit can't Logan's claws ever be made of anything besides taffy?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Psylocke is awesome! Although, I'll admit that I like old-school british Psylocke a lot more than asian ninja Psylocke. I love the armor/cape costume she wore during Inferno. The asian version is still cool, but I have to remind myself that Captain Britain's sister is a japanese chick... As for the figure, the SDCC X-force version is a better look than the old toybiz version. Not sure if the body is the same, but it's a darker deco and the head sculpt is greatly improved.

Brown wolverine is a better look IMO, but I think we're in the minority. People love that John Byrne deco, even if it makes him look like a bumblebee. But in my heyday reading x-books as a kid, the brown was the costume, and it always made more sense than neon yellow.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
To be honest, I prefer tiger stripe Wolvie as my iconic deco, but I don't like how any have looked so far. The head is off on the one I have (I do like the unmasked head though) and the fused chest sucks, plus he's too big. Not just height but scale too.

There's a tiger stripe repaint of that brown Wolvie in the Rulk BAF wave, but he looks awkward and is too bright (no shading, too lemony, etc) and the shoulder pads look weird. And I dislike the other costume updates as far as "iconic" go.

The brown deco simply looks good, and so does the sculpt. One of these days they'll make a tiger stripe Wolverine that I like.

Oh and yes, Jubilee will be a BAF, apparently. Who knows when she will hit, though.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Got my second Sentinel in tonight. It was in a big flex-envelope mailer, which surprised me, but it was well wrapped in bubble wrap and unassembled, and got here in like 3 days from purchase, so that's impressive. One arm was a much different shade, so I swapped it out with my spare left arm.

I just realized my loose Xavier I got years ago didn't come with his Cerebro... I probably knew it at the time, but wish I had it now. $10 on eBay? Is that really worth it for a silly helmet?