Marvel: Phase Two

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
There are a ton of new pictures to go with this story. Pictures, Sticker Sheets, and full story here - New ‘Avengers 2′ Images Focus on Hulkbuster, New Costumes & Vision [Updated]

One of the pictures there.

Disney purchased several of highly coveted TV spots during Super Bowl XLIX to present brief teasers for their 2015 releases, the sci-fi adventure Tomorrowland and the sports drama McFarland, USA, but didn’t take advantage of the record-breaking big game audience to promote either of their Marvel Studios releases of the year. With two similar trailers already released for The Avengers: Age of Ultron, and its followup, Ant-Man, needing all the buzz it can get, it was a surprise to see neither.

The Canadian broadcast of the NFL final however, did host the first Avengers 2 TV spot as well as a 90-second spot for the second, previously released trailer, but nothing new. Today however, we do have something new, including another great look at Marvel’s mysterious new Avenger known as Vision (Paul Bettany).

Marvel officially released a gallery of stills and behind-the-scenes Age of Ultron photos, offering high-res images of some shots we’ve seen previously and others recognizable from sequences featured in the trailers. Similar to the second full-length Avengers 2 trailer, the focus of the gallery is on the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and him losing control (again). The larger armored suit Iron Man spots is again officially referred to as the “Hulkbusterâ€￾ armor, a fan-favorite design from the comics, and it’s also confirmed that Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson) – who has a closer relationship with Bruce Banner in the film – is attempting to calm the green giant during the same sequence.

With what little we’ve seen, we can at least acknowledge how faithful writer and director Joss Whedon is keeping Ultron’s design, motivation and dialogue to the comics. The same can be said for the character outfits of the core six heroes. For more on that, check out the latest (and best look yet) at the big bad Thanos, the behind-the-scenes villain of The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy - who will eventually battle all of Earth’s heroes in The Avengers: Infinity War.

If you’ve been following Marvel Studios movie updates closely, there’s little that’s actually new here in the above photos, especially if you’ve read Screen Rant’s Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer analysis. So, now for the fun (and seemingly unofficial) stuff.

One of the countless ways the Avengers brand will be marketed in 2015 is via wall decals and a company known as Fathead has the movie rights. CBM got their hands on the Age of Ultron promo materials which includes everything from character sheets of the core cast - including the Android Avenger known as The Vision – alongside wonderful fight night style one-sheets for the Hulk vs. Hulkbuster battle.

There are no sticker sheets for the brother-sister act of Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) unfortunately, but if these two new powerful characters stick around for the long-term in the Marvel Cinematic Universe – and we expect them to – then they’ll eventually get their own superhero duds and a bigger merchandise push. Consider Age of Ultron to be their origin story of sorts before they join the team.

That’s some smart marketing to promote the “ringsideâ€￾ match of Hulk vs. Iron Man. We’ll see how many moviegoers pay for that experience opening weekend this May and whether or not Age of Ultron can top its predecessor at the box office. Let us know your thoughts on Vision and the other character designs in the comments!
Source - ScreenRant

Last edited:

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
By Ross Miller on February 10, 2015

How Marvel will save us from more terrible Spider-Man movies | The Verge

Sony has one of the greatest comic book superheroes of all time, and it was screwing everything up.

Last year's Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't a box office disaster, but it made notably less money than any of Sony's other Spider-Man films. Critically, it was a mess. And this was supposed to be the film that would kick off its own series of interconnected sequels and spinoffs.

Enter Marvel, the company that birthed Spider-Man. Last night, the two studios announced a collaboration that ostensibly brings the web slinger into Marvel’s ultra-successful, highly interconnected film universe for the very first time — all the while Sony gets to revitalize its franchise with help from someone who knows how to make a superhero movie that's does well with both critics and the box office.

On paper, it feels like an obvious win-win for everyone involved, but it’s impossible to understate just how surprising this deal is — and what it means for Marvel going forward.

How Spidey Got Here​

So why does Sony, not Marvel, own the film rights to one of Marvel's biggest characters? This is where things get a bit confusing, so before we dive in, here's a fancy chart to help

Back in the '90s, before Marvel Studios became the juggernaut it is today, the company sold the exclusive movie rights to a number of its biggest comic book characters to other studios. Up until now, Spider-Man could fight alongside Captain America in pages, but on screen, those two properties were worlds apart.

It's been a jumbled mess, but over the years Marvel Studios has managed to get some of its characters back (see: Blade, Daredevil, Black Panther). The biggest holdout is 20th Century Fox, which owns X-Men, the Fantastic Four, the term "mutant," and all related characters including Deadpool. (The only overlaps, due to some story weirdness, are Quiksilver and the Scarlet Witch.) Don't expect these universes to collide, however: Fox has fared much better with its Marvel superhero film rights, especially after the not-quite-reboot that was Bryan Singer's X-Men: Days of Future Past, which ended up being both a critical and commercial success.

What Happens Now?​

Neither Sony nor Marvel is explicitly calling this a reboot, but it's clear that's what "new creative direction" means. It's also a necessity for this deal to work. Marvel Studios’ films all exist in the same interconnected universe. The consequences of one film affect all of them — for example, every film after The Avengers had to acknowledge that in 2012, New York got pretty messed up by alien soldiers and flying worm... things. The studio is notorious for its control of the overarching narrative, now spanning more than 20 films from 2008’s Iron Man through at least 2019’s Inhumans — with more sure to be announced. The Spider-Man stories that Sony has told thus far don’t fit that world at all, so when Spidey enters the Marvel Cinematic Universe, be it his flagship film or a cameo elsewhere, he presumably won’t have any of that past baggage.

Some of the more interesting emails leaked during the Sony Pictures hack actually centered around Marvel wanting to use Spider-Man. Then-co-chair Amy Pascal and President Doug Belgrad had discussed a scenario where Marvel would produce a new Spider-Man trilogy for which Sony would retain "creative control, marketing and distribution." It struck us as very odd at the time for all the reasons mentioned above, but sure enough, "final creative control" was a key line in last night’s press release. What that ultimately means is open to interpretation. It could be as little as Sony nodding their head to whatever ideas Marvel actually does. Yeah, that’s probably what it means.

Get Ready for Civil War​

The big question now is, when do we actually get to see Spider-Man — and who will play him? According to those aforementioned leaked Sony Pictures emails, Marvel Studios wanted him for Captain America: Civil War, which is scheduled to hit theaters on May 6th, 2016.

Marvel's upcoming films

Get ready for a very, very, busy few years:

Avengers: Age of Ultron: May 1st

Ant-Man: July 17th

Captain America: Civil War: May 6th

Doctor Strange: November 4th

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: May 5th

Spider-Man: July 28th

Thor: Ragnarok: November 3rd

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1: May 4th

Black Panther: July 6th

Captain Marvel: November 2nd

Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2: May 3rd

Inhumans: July 12th

Marvel isn’t officially saying when we’ll see Spider-Man for the first time, but for comic book fans, this would be the ideal debut. Civil War is expected to be based off Marvel’s famous comic book event series of the same name, which pits Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) and Captain America (Chris Evans) against one another over the issue of mutant superhero registration vs. the right to privacy. Spider-Man is one of the first major characters to publicly reveal his identity in support of registration, at the behest of Iron Man, only to later change sides and support the resistance.

Using Spider-Man this way would necessarily mean Marvel Studios has to skip Spider-Man’s origin story (or at least provide a very quick version of it) — which is fine, because frankly, we’ve seen it enough times. But it’s unlikely that directors Joe and Anthony Russo will go this route; secret identities don’t really exist in this cinematic universe. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has intimated before that Civil War would more likely focus on the broader topic of governments wanting more oversight vs. a right to privacy. How Spidey would fit in that isn’t clear cut. If nothing else, it’d make for one helluva good post-credits scene.

Logistically, there’s also the matter of casting the new Spider-Man (assuming he’s to be unmasked in this film). All signs point to Andrew Garfield not returning, which opens the door pretty much anyone at this point. It doesn’t even have to be Peter Parker. Other Marvel characters have donned the Spider-Man mask — chief among them Miles Morales. And remember, whoever is picked will likely be playing Spider-Man for a dozen films. Marvel doesn't change out actors.

The first standalone Spider-Man film is slated for July 28th, 2017 (which consequently pushed back the release dates for Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans). The only names currently attached are Pascal and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. If there were any frontrunners for director, it’d be the Russo brothers, who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier and will direct Civil War. Per the leaked Sony emails, the Russo brothers once pitched Sony on making new Spider-Man films. At that time, it would’ve required a "difficult conversation" — but not anymore. Given how tightly interwoven all Marvel’s movies are, Spider-Man could play a big role in any of its upcoming films — including the two-part Avengers: Infinity War scheduled for 2018 and 2019.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well mostly that I was annoyed by just having to move shit over (anything post-Avengers 2 is Phase 3) but also, despite what Medd says, it's stealing content from other sites. (Including reposting pics.)

Just link to the article, man.

Ant-Man is still phase 2 as well.

:trollface:

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I'm not trying to cause legal issues with the site and the original author. It seems that if you provide the link and post the author's byline, you should be cool. I'm like Eddie, I generally don't click links.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm not trying to cause legal issues with the site and the original author. It seems that if you provide the link and post the author's byline, you should be cool. I'm like Eddie, I generally don't click links.

It's fine, I was just being pissy because I'd just moved over a whole slew of posts, and I was anxious about having surgery today. It's all good, I'm medded up now. :wave:

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
It's fine, I was just being pissy because I'd just moved over a whole slew of posts, and I was anxious about having surgery today. It's all good, I'm medded up now. :wave:

I hope that your surgery went well. Will Marvel enter into a similar deal with Fox, even though the Fox's mutant movies have been more profitable than Spidey?

Last edited:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
h Jackman: “(smiling) I don’t see the impediment! I’m like, okay you’ve got three studios, just split it three ways in terms of the cost, and happy days it’s all coming together! I would love to… I’m in for it, I’m totally up for it because I think that would be really exciting for fans across the board.â€￾

This is an actual quote

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Speculation is it's just Hawkeye's bow, or quiver.
That makes sense. I could not tell what it was connected to. I thought maybe Ultron's fingers which led me to Rex's answer. and not Inspector Gadget Klaw :trollface:

Is it a homage, easter egg, or am I just really reaching at straws? The whole Spidey thing I thought would never happen, than Hugh saying odd things........My movie tin foil hat immdiately went on.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011

Ulysseys Klaw doesn't actually have a claw though. He becomes pure sound eventually. One of his hands is replaced with a super speaker type thing, but it's not a claw.

Is it a homage, easter egg, or am I just really reaching at straws? The whole Spidey thing I thought would never happen, than Hugh saying odd things........My movie tin foil hat immdiately went on.

It flat out has nothing to do with Wolverine. Stop thinking it. Right now, it's not going to happen. For as cheesy as some of the X movies have been, they're still better than the last three Spidey movies. Fox will continue to abuse the characters until they can't get a dollar out of them.

I am by no means an expert on the MCU movies, but I follow all the comings and goings of the rumors, and production of them on a few different sites. I don't just take one sites word as gospel. There have been a ton of rumors that have been squashed just by this trailer alone, so that's something too.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ulysseys Klaw doesn't actually have a claw though. He becomes pure sound eventually. One of his hands is replaced with a super speaker type thing, but it's not a claw.

Yeah, I was just guessing, don't get all sassy!

I know it's probably Hawkeye's arrow assortment and has nothing to do with Klaw, but I could see them redoing Klaw's powers... Because to quote KT, that "power" sounds mighty faggoty.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well, honestly, right now they don't need to even show his powers at all. Just establish the character, and his connection to Ultron and Wakanda and use it as an opening for Civil War.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

It flat out has nothing to do with Wolverine. Stop thinking it. Right now, it's not going to happen. For as cheesy as some of the X movies have been, they're still better than the last three Spidey movies. Fox will continue to abuse the characters until they can't get a dollar out of them.
Bubble busted. I'll put my tin foil hat away, and put my dunce cap back on...............Such a meanie........:trollface:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I guess I don't get the vibranium logic being outlandish. Steel can pierce steel given enough projection and the right shape. Also, metal is a crystal that can realign itself molecularly given enough stress. That's how it can bend without breaking, etc.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
That's already been proved fake. The tower is from Cap 2 and Spidey is from the ride in universal.