Meddatron's Dio-shots

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Actually just came into some perfect pieces of white styrofoam to build some bases out of. Need to pick up some of the blue or pink foam for some detailed backgrounds. Your stuff is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question...what kind of paint do you use on these? I use Testor's Acrylic for my Joe customs but also have the "Apple Barrel" hobby paints for wood projects or crafts with the kids. What is going to be best for the styrofoam?

Thanks. First off, Sand the exterior of the foam board. Different grits for different textures. I also use a large lumpy rock to tap the foam to create some unevenness. Once sanded it will absorb the paint, this allows you to use a watery paint. Without sanding it the paint will lay on the surface uneven and need many many coats for a light color. I base paint the foam with an interior acrylic paint first, not heavy coat. The cans found at Lowes. I always use off white or dark grey. All the rest of the colors are Apple Barrel or the cheap Folk Art paints. I mix all my colors from primaries, black, white, and silver. Stone and concrete is easy to paint with watery paints that absorbs. You just put a wet light color on first, than dab the other color tones on and it will blend on its own quite nicely at spots and not at all in other spots. Don't do total coverage with the other colors. All watery paint. Takes forever to dry (I put mine in the sun) but the result is worth the patience. Hope this helps bro.

Last edited:

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I used to use Kilz, but decided that I wanted something more sand-able. The Kilz has a tendency to peel when sanded. Now I use a super flat white ceiling paint. Sands nicely and doesn't peel.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I used to use Kilz, but decided that I wanted something more sand-able. The Kilz has a tendency to peel when sanded. Now I use a super flat white ceiling paint. Sands nicely and doesn't peel.

got ya, I do all my sanding pre-paint. I paint my dios like one would use water colors on a canvas. Since it absorbs so much, even when foam is chipped, the color remains pretty deep.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I should note as well. I paint each and every piece before I put them on the dio. Only weathering paint is done after it is fully assembled, unless I decide I don't like the colors and need a repaint, that's rare though.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
got ya, I do all my sanding pre-paint. I paint my dios like one would use water colors on a canvas. Since it absorbs so much, even when foam is chipped, the color remains pretty deep.

Sometimes to get a really smooth surface, I'll build the paint up and sand it. I use a lot of spackling paste and wood fill on my dios, so sanding is par for the course.

its so much easier. And like I said, if you sand the foam enough (Lowes green guard kind, never used the pink) the primer goes deep if wet enough when applied.

I like the blue/green foam better myself. The pink foam has a more air in it, much like the craft foam board, and when sanded the surface becomes very porous. On the other hand it doesn't get all fuzzy like the blue stuff can.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Thanks guys!!

So, is The Fighting 118th really a secret organization of Cobra, I spotted these guys outside the recruitment center. I went unseen, even though they appear to be looking right at me. They even were trying to hook the kids.

some of the touch up paint is still a little wet. That's why spots have a sheen.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks guys!!

So, is The Fighting 118th really a secret organization of Cobra, I spotted these guys outside the recruitment center. I went unseen, even though they appear to be looking right at me. They even were trying to hook the kids.

some of the touch up paint is still a little wet. That's why spots have a sheen.

No idea how I missed this one. So Badass!!

I'll take one! :wave:

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Med, I'm sure you might have mentioned it in here, but I was wondering, do you do anything to your foam before painting it? Cover it with anything or just straight paint right onto the foam?

PROVOST

Colonel in Chief
Officer Club
Jun 28, 2011
Terra Australis
Having fun with the Combat Ninja. The figure is awesome.

Seriously loving your setup, Medd. :)

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
Med the dios are amazing! Such an epic setup! The vehicles and those amazing props add realism to the scene! awesome!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Holy wow!! Love the night shots!

...so we've got, Cobra fighting the A-Team and the JLA showed up to help?! AWESOME!