NECA Discussion

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They've cast a kid as a cgi stand-in for John, and I've heard the plot has him being killed.. I guess we'll see in November?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
*"You Could Be Mine" Intensifies"*

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Indeed it does... Man, I watched the heck out of that movie back in the day. My roommate had it on LASERDISK!!!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's a blast from the past. I enjoy parts of T2 still, but in the main I enjoy The Terminator more.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
When T2 was announced, I'm fairly certain I drove all my friends nuts talking about it. I remember I even took a magazine into the barber shop that had a picture of Arnie and I had them cut my hair to match.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So I get to go pick up my TMNT '90 Leo and Don on Wednesday, but it looks like these are coming to the general public in the form of two-packs. They looked to be confirmed some time back in a store (GameStop?) computer. A blurry image seems to indicate Mikey will be packed with a Foot Soldier, so I'm guessing Leo will get Shredder, Don, Krang and Ralph will get Foot Soldier #2.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
From the original script. There were a pair of them working with the government. Presumably they were still in when NECA started working on the figures. They're saying "fuck it" and releasing it anyway. Won't lie, I may end up with it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

So glad NECA managed to get these out to the general public.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The camo pred. I'm assuming he was in the one photo that leaked early on that showed an armored APC with two Predators riding on it?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
No...no you don't. It needs to be buried, along with every copy of the movie that actually came out.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Rumspringa - Amish spring break before joining the community as an adult.

The Prediter culture is strictly religious, with everything we see in the movies being forbidden or limited until their vacation where they are allowed to go batshit crazy on anyone who isn't their race. That badass from the first movie was an accountant!!!

This is why we don't want exploratory prequels to these types of movies. No one wants to hear about the klingon janitor's epic quest to clean the toilets (Because let's face it, in Star Trek we rarely see non military klingons

:D

Reactions: NSA

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yaphet Kotto, bitch!

Definitely gonna need to see close-ups of the new Curry heads before I commit. Bad enough I have to buy two more '17 Pennywises (Pennywisen? Pennywisae?) this year.

NECA going full circle, taking 2010 back to 1994.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
NECA's rep in the are continues to stoke my baby-punching rage with their inability to do their fucking job. Nothing new sighted after Scorpion Alien/Apone wave.

NECA's SDCC exclusives:

I suspect the TMNT stuff will see a mass release in some form, but John as an exclusive is kind of bullshit.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I'm sure John will be a normal release at some point, with limited accessories. They did the same thing with Newt from ALIENS.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think Newt got two-packed with Ripley. John kind of needs all that shit. He's not worth $30 without the enduro, and that's the accessory most likely to get dropped for a mass-market release.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
If they kept the bike with him, I could possibly see him being released on cards in stores....but there's no chance they'll keep all that stuff with him for such a release...it negates the exclusivity. I'm not saying that's right or good, that's just how NECA plays the game. I'm wondering what the hell they're doing with that jacket, it needs the camo!!! Is the difficulty of doing so holding them back? Surely they've done just as complicated, if not more-so, things on other figures.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The prototype had the camo, actually. Maybe the mass release will have it restored. :troll:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I just remembered (duh) the camo on the Colonial Marine figures....which is probably even more complicated since it was a custom pattern. JC's jacket should be a piece of cake.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
John's is tigerstripe, which is pretty easy in 1:10.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
After painting camo on my 1:18 USCM, I never want to do that again, regardless of pattern.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
I would like to see what they had initially planned for before all the reshoots, maybe somehow it was better? I find it hard to think it could actually be worse.

Sure, here it is: an abortion with a coat hanger.

All versions of that script were terrible. It is an embarrassment.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

This movie just ruins everything that comes before it retroactively. In addition, they completely erode the suspension of disbelief with about every other scene in this movie. The humor in this movie was so off-putting and outright inappropriate for what was going on at the time. In words of Gordon Ramsay, "fusion confusion" was the culprit here. The tones were beyond fudged up. The pacing was like the wine bottle scene from Pan's Labyrinth...

This movie retroactively changed the entire lore of the Predators, changing the reason they collect skulls. They aren't for trophies! (despite having a trophy wall in Predator 2*). Oh no! Now we're upgrading with DNA spinal juice to turn Yautja into a 10 foot tall CGI monstrosity. The Predator isn't a super big threat anymore...it's become a parody of itself. We are now legitimately breaking the 4th wall and calling the Predator a Predator. Making jokes about the creature in cringey marvel copycat style. Remember the good old days when you saw a Yautja and were absolutely up a creek without a paddle? Pepperidge Farm remembers! Dutch, Billy, Mac, Anna, and the rest of the team just stared in horror and awe as a being that makes trophies of man kills the team off one by one.

While AVP makes people foam at the mouth - the first movie shows these alien hunters as honor-bound, trophy collecting warrior hunters. The fact that they have been changed into DNA modifying space invaders (global warming subplot) has betrayed the source material to the highest order.

They didn't make this as being a small faction in the movie - they had the Assassin Predator (who was tracking/hunting Fugitive Predator) talk to the other Predators by saying he was hunting "the traitor." It is assumed that this is the new norm now with the movie.

Why would a Predator "betray" their race? I understand the concept of bad bloods, but this is much different. If Fugitive came to earth to help us - why the hell does he cut down every single human he comes in contact with for the majority of his screen time? Armed base troopers, unarmed scientists, etc. Nobody is safe except naked and unarmed Olivia Munn. At least they got that right. Christ.

The Predator. The fracking Predator. Kills a whole truck filled with MIB mercenary soldiers and cuts them to ribbons. He picks up a dismembered arm and poses the thumb into a "thumps up" gesture and pushes it into the driver cabin. The driver in turn buys it after hearing screams and wanton slaughter of his fellow soldiers. Again...somebody was paid to write this. I shit you not. You might think I'm joking. But I'm not. Why? Would the Predator bother? Did Jungle Hunter put Columbian militia uniforms to hunt Dutch and his team? No! Who. Wrote. This!?!

How does autism (ASD withstanding) count as a survival trait that Predators would want? The hell? Predators are already masters of technology - they have successfully folded space to travel giant distances in short periods of time, have plasma laser guns, and cloaking technology. Who wrote this?!

And the cringetastic "#^$* me with an aardvark!" every other scene. So now we're going to parody tourettes on top of autism.

Why does a nailgun shot to the head rewire how Predoggos work? Suddenly it's not hostile anymore? It's a derpy friendly gear-barfing carrying case? I don't understand. Why? Who wrote this?

And what the heck was with Olivia Munn's character? I know she was trying hard, but she was no Ripley. She went from an academic scholar of science to a grenade-launcher shooting 80's commando! Where the heck was all the years of military training that she had between the start and end of the movie? Firearms training takes a great deal of skill and practice to master to become effective with any of those weapons. Keep in mind - this is the same character from earlier in the movie, who shot herself in the foot with a tranquilizer gun and tried to shoot our heroes with a gun she believed to be loaded. Let that sink in. Somebody wrote this. Somebody was paid to write this.

And the "predator killer" - dafaq? This whole concept was terribad. Because Black did Iron Man 3, he couldn't think of anything else besides an iron man suit knockoff? The CGI in this movie looked like B-movie quality for the majority. Especially in the 3rd act. Bleh. Practical > CGI. This was written like a 12 year olds fan fiction.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, it was not good.

I do remember walking out of the theater really liking it.. but my friend and I were basically black out drunk. Apparently that is the perfect way to see the movie.

I wonder if it'll be the nail in the coffin for Predator for a while. Disney might ice it now that they own Fox. I feel like Alien & Predator need to just chill for a while and then get a full on reboot/re-imagining if the right story comes along. Too much built in lore between Movies/TV/Comics/etc.. never going to make anyone happy.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Yeah, it was not good.

I do remember walking out of the theater really liking it.. but my friend and I were basically black out drunk. Apparently that is the perfect way to see the movie.

I wonder if it'll be the nail in the coffin for Predator for a while. Disney might ice it now that they own Fox. I feel like Alien & Predator need to just chill for a while and then get a full on reboot/re-imagining if the right story comes along. Too much built in lore between Movies/TV/Comics/etc.. never going to make anyone happy.

Hollywood writers need to chill for a while. Their ability to write good stories is non existent.

Let me put it this way: if there is no internal consistency to the point that a person will say they join a group and then ask why they joined it.

That literally happened in The Predator.

Some of the very best stories for those franchises are in the comics/books. I'm confident those would make many happy.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think they could have done a good job adapting the AvP comic into a movie.. I forget who but someone important made them set it in current times instead of the future.

I think ultimately it's usually not fans who make the final say on things, so we get what we get. The MCU has been so good, I think, partly because Feige and Co are actually fans.

And truth be told.. while I like the existing canon/etc.. I wouldn't mind going in a different direction if it made sense. Predators was different to what we had before, but it more or less still made internal sense.

Movie sequels also consistently fall into the trap of trying to outdo what they did before.. oh well, we've fought a Predator before.. lets make this one 10 feet tall! Arbitrarily upping the number or size or whatever of something doesn't make it better... it CAN.. but you need a good story to go along with it.

Realistically they should have had it just been the same 2 warring factions from Predators. It was already established. Hell, you could even had Royce and Isabelle from Predators managed to find a way to escape and get back to Earth along with a 'friendly' Predator. If you don't want to bring the actors back, kill them in the crash or something.. but now you're at least tying it all together.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
I think they could have done a good job adapting the AvP comic into a movie.. I forget who but someone important made them set it in current times instead of the future.

I think ultimately it's usually not fans who make the final say on things, so we get what we get. The MCU has been so good, I think, partly because Feige and Co are actually fans.

And truth be told.. while I like the existing canon/etc.. I wouldn't mind going in a different direction if it made sense. Predators was different to what we had before, but it more or less still made internal sense.

Movie sequels also consistently fall into the trap of trying to outdo what they did before.. oh well, we've fought a Predator before.. lets make this one 10 feet tall! Arbitrarily upping the number or size or whatever of something doesn't make it better... it CAN.. but you need a good story to go along with it.

Realistically they should have had it just been the same 2 warring factions from Predators. It was already established. Hell, you could even had Royce and Isabelle from Predators managed to find a way to escape and get back to Earth along with a 'friendly' Predator. If you don't want to bring the actors back, kill them in the crash or something.. but now you're at least tying it all together.

Believe it or not, I would be 100% on board with that. Even NECA has internal consistency with that plot in their figure line. Ghost Predator is evidence of that.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
I was watching a review of why Aliens (franchise) isn't as good as the original. It came to the conclusion that there is little to no mystery in the characters anymore & every attempt has just added more story that was never asked for.

So If I was tasked with writing a Alien or Predator movie. I would bring back the surprise. In fact the audience wouldn't even know they were going to see an aliens movie. (Picture a family or rom-com movie)

I'd have a 3rd party movie that is set in the same universe. Earth based, tell the short story that I want & then break out into an alien attack, with some Predators hunting them down. 3rd party movie characters get caught in the cross fire & it becomes a survival story.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
I was watching a review of why Aliens (franchise) isn't as good as the original. It came to the conclusion that there is little to no mystery in the characters anymore & every attempt has just added more story that was never asked for.

So If I was tasked with writing a Alien or Predator movie. I would bring back the surprise. In fact the audience wouldn't even know they were going to see an aliens movie. (Picture a family or rom-com movie)

I'd have a 3rd party movie that is set in the same universe. Earth based, tell the short story that I want & then break out into an alien attack, with some Predators hunting them down. 3rd party movie characters get caught in the cross fire & it becomes a survival story.
National Lampoon's: Alien versus Predator?

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
List of movies that would have been epic if mid way through aliens & or preditors suddenly attacked

Downtown Abby
Star Wars prequels
End Game (Thanos' army)
Moma Mia
Casablanca
Bridget Jones' Diary
GI Joe Retaliation
Transformers
How Stella Got her Groove Back
Indiana Jones 4
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Happy Gilmore
an inconvenient truth
ET (PHONE HOME!!!! PHONE HOME NOWWW!!!!!!!!!!)
Pulp Fiction
The Sound of Music
Seven Samurai
Batman (google Dead end)
MIB
Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz

She's having a baby
A Clear & present Danger
apocalypse now
Dr Dolittle
This WebEx Meeting I am currently watching.
Willy Wonka
Mary Popins
The Neverending Story (Because they didn't try to kill that kid enough)
The Adventures Of Mark Twain

I could do this all day......

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I picked up a TRON figure at Walgreens last week after hearing about them on FB. They are made by Diamond and Gentle Giant and are exclusive to Walgreens. They are sort of NECA like.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like NECA is doing Back to the Future, maybe even a DeLorian. Hope you see this, Eddie.

EDIT:
Nevermind, lame-o animated series DeLorian.

Last edited: