NSA Q&A August Questions

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
the cost of the figs from start to finish might be 3bucks to make and ship to us

...is slightly different from your original statement

to make the fig is about $.10 when all is said and done

even with the gas prices to ship them over here.

Also, my reference to the price of oil is not about transportation, but raw material....The cost of plastic, especially higher quality plastics, has gone up significantly over the past couple decades.

Finally, one of fogger's main points was the Dave's business is not Hasbro's business. And neither of them are the GIJCC. These new figures will require new assembly, accessories, new paint apps, new card art....For a large company like Hasbro, that cost of production gets distributed among the thousands of figures they make. For a limited run like GIJCC, that will translate into a higher cost/figure.

If you are arguing that $20-25/figure is a lot, I 100% agree. That is right on my threshhold of what I will allow myself to pay for a 4" figure. And I hope they would consider ways of making it less expensive (I for one would rather it shipped loose, rather than waste money on carding a figure I'm going to rip open anyways.) But you can't expect the Club to be able to do the same pricing as Hasbro....and the cost of making the figures is nowhere close to 10 cents...

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
It just seems like people won't be happy (ever) unless the figures are done right, and only the club and exclusives are doing that right now.

if you count the LL and some of the other figures coming out for the 30th line, Hasbro is doing a WAAAAAY better job than the GIJCC could ever dream of...those are the figuers i'm most looking forward too and why i don't want the GJICC being the only one doing "25th"...compare bada$$ LL to halfa$$ed D-T and you'll get what i'm talking about...the only reason i wanted D-T was for his head, the rest of the figure was complete a$$...and i have yet to see anything 25th related peg-warm...all i see is Snowfight Destro and So and So Storm Shadow...i've NEVER seen a PoC LL, Trooper, Viper, Rock-Viper, Steel Brigade...(Cock Master and Blow Torch don't really count, they're repaints, though i've yet to see them either)...

I am excited for the new movie figures, as homage to the originals, but more for the customer fodder. I think the "25th" nostalgia ship has sailed.

yeah, that plan worked out REALLY well last time they did it :rolleyes:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I got great custom fodder from ROC! It was doubly awesome because every figure was "an opener" as I didn't care to keep anything MOC (unlike the damn 25th line).

I guess it depends on what kind of ARAH-Nazi you are.. if you're into the MOC type thing, with the cardback etc, then the GIJCC is the best bet. If you just want a figure to look the same as when you were a kid, I guess you can hope they sneak them in, or just make customs.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
true, but anyway you slice it, aside from RoC, the stores can't keep Joes on the pegs, be it 25th or PoC...why that is, is a whole nother discussion...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
and its impossible to tell which it is...maybe...seeing as how, in most cases, the only figs left are Destro and SS, i'd say its popularity...cause no matter what store you go into, at least one of those two is there...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
But you have to figure in returns as well which covers the targets for sure.

I don't believe they got enough cases to support that many destros sometimes!

Obviously if they had good waves without the pegwarmer figures we'd all be happy.. Unless you still couldn't find crap (likely the case).

We need a mole in target feeding us stock info.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
oh no, i'm quite certain that they are the same Destros that have been sitting there since the very first time he got hung on a peg, and likely the stores aren't ordering/putting out new stock...but, whenever they do, and i do see it occationally, waves 1, 2 and 3, by the next time i come back, everything is gone again except the Destros, SSs, and sometimes Duke...

however, the couple of Meijers i go to, STILL have RoC...and not a few figs, but TONS of it, still at the regular price...and they carry both at the same time, RoC and PoC (where i got most of my good PoC stuff)...the PoC flies off the shelves...obviously, the RoC doesn't...

they're gonna go back to having that movie stuff clogging pegs just like every other movie line :(

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
I got great custom fodder from ROC! It was doubly awesome because every figure was "an opener" as I didn't care to keep anything MOC (unlike the damn 25th line).

I guess it depends on what kind of ARAH-Nazi you are.. if you're into the MOC type thing, with the cardback etc, then the GIJCC is the best bet. If you just want a figure to look the same as when you were a kid, I guess you can hope they sneak them in, or just make customs.

man how the club runs things and makes figs i think its a bad i dea for them to have complete control over the classic look of joes. here is why 1 they ill drive the price up. 2 they make crap looking figs. 3 why should we have to go to a club to get classic looking figs when hasbro can and has done a better job then the club ever could do.

just cuse you hate the classic line doesn't mean you have to blast the ones that do and say hey have the club make the figs at 25-30 a pop plus 10 yr just to get them. thats crazy. hasbro just needs to make 2 lines. roc sucked for toys and fodder for the most part there where a few that where good but even hasbro said they sucked when we where at the con last yr.

Also if the club did that it would take way from Hasbros sales . as there are alot of ppl who like the classic look and the modern look and what both to be made. if hasbro did that it would cut in to there profits. also you would be cutting the line down and may lose more fans cuse not every one likes the new stuff . they like to pick and chose but if you make just one type then ppl wont buy and sales will drop. we have seen that happen alrdy.

lets face it NSA if you ran joe it wouldnt be joe it would be BBI lol.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
man they have a lot of casting machines man. what you think they make all these toys out of one maybe 2 machine ? come one man. they have rows of them for each piece

I won't dispute that they've probably got a lot of presses (although I doubt it's more than one or two for each piece, given how many pieces you can crank out of the average mold). I just said the machine isn't particularly huge - a typical press for plastics is smaller than a compact car.

and the after all is said and done the cost of the figs from start to finish might be 3bucks to make and ship to us.

Which, as has been noted by others, is significantly more than 10 cents.

guys its not as expensive as you think to make them why do you think they are made in china cuse its cheap even with the gas prices to ship them over here. if it wasn't they would just make them here. they sure don't cost 7bucks a pop. or they wouldn't make any profit.

Not disputing that, just that it's not as cheap as you previously said it was.

xhairs

Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
I won't dispute that they've probably got a lot of presses (although I doubt it's more than one or two for each piece, given how many pieces you can crank out of the average mold). I just said the machine isn't particularly huge - a typical press for plastics is smaller than a compact car.

Which, as has been noted by others, is significantly more than 10 cents.

Not disputing that, just that it's not as cheap as you previously said it was.

but that 3 buck is start to finish and in store but to make the figs itself is about 10cents lol

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
man how the club runs things and makes figs i think its a bad i dea for them to have complete control over the classic look of joes. here is why 1 they ill drive the price up. 2 they make crap looking figs. 3 why should we have to go to a club to get classic looking figs when hasbro can and has done a better job then the club ever could do.

Hasbro hasn't made classic figs for retail in a couple of year now. I really don't see that changing, no matter how much you go on. It's cool when they work in a Low-Light, or Lifeline etc, and if that's all you want.. I don't see what all the bitching is about? I think Hasbro is prepared to sprinkle in ARAH-esque figures throughout the lines, they are just making sure only ARAH-themed figures dominate the brand. If you want "classic looking figs" to include a real file-card, and details specific to ARAH, then I think you have no choice but go to the GIJCC, as Hasbro doesn't seem like that's the direction they are going. Maybe for 7-packs, exclusives, etc, but not for mass retail.

The reason for going to the GIJCC is you're getting classic products designed for classic fans. If they release a shitty figure, don't buy it, hopefully they'll learn and make the next one better. They're a smaller operation so it is possible to get the gears changing a lot easier than Hasbro proper.

just cuse you hate the classic line doesn't mean you have to blast the ones that do and say hey have the club make the figs at 25-30 a pop plus 10 yr just to get them. thats crazy. hasbro just needs to make 2 lines. roc sucked for toys and fodder for the most part there where a few that where good but even hasbro said they sucked when we where at the con last yr.

I don't hate the classic line at all. I own every 25th figure released (Except Rowdy Roddy Piper.. though I'm not sure if that counts). I just realize that it's time has past.. and I'm happy for what I got, and excited for what's coming in the future. I don't want endless waves of old designs. I don't want them to start scraping the barrel for 90's ARAH-Joes.

You do realize you're the ones who harp and complain all the time about ROC and "teh deaht of teh line!!!", whereas the rest of us are content getting what we think is worth our money and going about the rest of our lives. I don't hate on anyone for liking ARAH, I just think people are ridiculous when they act like an action figure being released/not released is the most important thing in the world.

You also do realize if Hasbro made 2 lines, it'd be exactly like Star Wars, with the "vintage" figures costing a couple bucks more for fancy packaging, shoddy distribution (that's not exclusive), and peg-warmers galore. If there was money to be made in that route, I think they would have jumped at it already.

Also if the club did that it would take way from Hasbros sales . as there are alot of ppl who like the classic look and the modern look and what both to be made. if hasbro did that it would cut in to there profits. also you would be cutting the line down and may lose more fans cuse not every one likes the new stuff . they like to pick and chose but if you make just one type then ppl wont buy and sales will drop. we have seen that happen alrdy.

I... I... I am not entirely sure what to make of that paragraph. I am pretty sure Hasbro gets some cut of the $$$ made from the GIJCC, since they own the GIJOE trademarks etc. If the GIJCC was eating up most of the costs, it MAY be advantageous for Hasbro to let them do ALL the ARAH stuff, since there is little risk to Hasbro proper, and they get residual income for each sale (I don't know the exact business arrangement, but I imagine it's something like that). I think this would probably be better than the "2 line" scenario, as I can't imagine retailers at this point agreeing to carry "TWO GI JOE LINES!" when the one line out now is peg-warming (According to them, who see STOCK on shelves not "Arctic Fucking Destro").

lets face it NSA if you ran joe it wouldnt be joe it would be BBI lol.

Nice try, but no. If I ran Joe it'd be pretty much Pursuit of Cobra. I think they nailed it with that line. It's got enough homages to the original to remind me of my youth, but it'd not full of pussy little soldiers with football jerseys, flashy colors, and no body-armor. If I was in charge I'd up the realism a little bit, give COBRA some real uniforms (none of this blue-shirt shit) and ditch the vehicles completely.

Depending on the direction the new movie takes, most of these ideas could fully carry over (though I suspect we'll be tormented with crappy vehicles no matter what).

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
@xhairs: It's been said, repeatedly, that The Club is going to be producing figures that Hasbro has ABSOLUTELY no intention of producing...so I'm not sure why you're thinking the Club's production of these figures is in any way going to negatively impact Hasbro's take on "classic" figures in future releases...

The Club's figures are supplementing, not replacing, Hasbro's....

xhairs

Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
@xhairs: It's been said, repeatedly, that The Club is going to be producing figures that Hasbro has ABSOLUTELY no intention of producing...so I'm not sure why you're thinking the Club's production of these figures is in any way going to negatively impact Hasbro's take on "classic" figures in future releases...

The Club's figures are supplementing, not replacing, Hasbro's....

NSA we will agree to disagree on this. as i dont want 25th molds nor do most of the ppl bitching about a classic line. they are asking for figs like LL, life line and so on to have them look like the 80s fig but with updated gear and molds . i think you have it stuck in your head when we say classic you think we mean ones that look like the 25th mold. not oring either that was and should be the clubs thing but all the oring molds are broke so now they are doing the 25th stuff. when i say classic look i mean what the 30anny line is doing its real simple. oh and cobra needs blue shirts or its not cobra .

the club can make the figs hasbro don't want nor will make thats fine but for them to have the rights to make a classic line is a bit nuts as hasbro will make alot more figs then not. the ones they will never make are prob c or d lists. so the ppl who want them that's great. also the club might not be able to do this for long as we know hasbro like to through us a bone on figs they say they will never make but end up doing.

also this is 13 figs a yr thats alot to promise for 1 and 2 they might run out of figs to make as they dont make new molds beside heads they use what hasbro has on hand to make the figs cheap and charge more for them. thats why DT was so bad. but to pay 25-30 bucks a pop pluse 10 bucks a yr to be a member is a bit nuts. also this might cut in to there convention sets. also the "free fig" so time will tell what happens with that.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
NSA we will agree to disagree on this.

Oh, fine!

But I do think COBRA troops would look amazing in some real camo.. eastern European or some variant.

ROC had the first real Joe camouflage we'd seen (That stupid blue Pajama set), and the decent desert pattern on Desert Duke. They added the green woodland later on with some of the figures and it was decent.

The ROC silver and black they used for the COBRA troops was worse than blue shirts in my opinion, ugh.

I have an idea for a subforum I'm working on.. curious on your take X.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
...so time will tell what happens....

Well, that is a statement we can agree upon. Otherwise, you are making a lot a speculation and assumptions without a lot of evidence (or punctuation... ;) )

At this point, I am not sure what you are arguing. I thought your original argument was the Club's subscription service was going to be detrimental to Hasbro's production of figures. I still don't see how it could. If the Club makes a figure, and Hasbro decides afterwards that they do want to do a full retail run of that figure...well, I don't think anyone would be surprised what the result of that will be.

As for running out of figures, that's a possibility. But the plan is for the Club to produce all 13 figures first, then start the subscription. And my understand is that all 13 figures will be shown before anyone has to commit to the subscription. If the Club member doesn't like the figures, quality, head sculpt, or otherwise, he doesn't have to get it. That's supply and demand right there.

And the Club is doing 25th, not because all the O-ring molds are broken, but because the majority of Club members actively request ME figures.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
As for running out of figures, that's a possibility. But the plan is for the Club to produce all 13 figures first, then start the subscription. And my understand is that all 13 figures will be shown before anyone has to commit to the subscription.

Is this true? I have heard differently

That's going to make or break it for me. I want to know what all 13 figs are gonna be before I drop that kind of cash

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
That was my understanding. I'll see if I can find where I read that from...(I'm thinking General Joes).

But I think I heard that in context of why we have no specifics yet on figures and cost...they are finishing all 13 first.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
So I've may have read too much in to General Joe's post:

http://generalsjoes.com/2011/07/23/sdcc-intel-from-the-g-i-joe-collectors-club/

The first 13 figures (12 sub figures and 13th bonus figure) are planned out and approved. Once all the production approvals are in (paint sign offs etc) they plan to produce all of the sub figures at once so they won’t have any delays once the figures start shipping

Final paint prototypes should be hitting very soon. They had hoped to have something to show at SDCC this year but they didn’t arrive in time. Once they are approved and finalized we will see some loose figure pictures

I'm not sure if that means all the figures, or just a few. I would think, if all 13 were done, it would/should be all...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Even knowing 12, and having the 13th be a "mystery" figure would be fine.

Going into it blind wont win many fans though.

Sure won't. If they post the bastards up front, at least the main 12, and 1/3 are ARAH hot-items like Zandar, Cover-Girl or Footloose, I'll go ahead and do the subscription and sell off the goofy others, at least for this first year. Just to support them. I'll have to get a second of those for openers, and who knows, if the gimmicky ones are okay, I may just keep the carded version (although I don't see myself getting duplicates of those to open).

But if it's all shit like cancelled Iron Klaw, cancelled Scarletts and Glow-in-the-Dark B.A.T.s, then to hell with it.

But I want to know up front. The 13th, fine, keep that one as a surprise. That makes sense and I kind of like a little mystery, but not with the whole series. Blind-packing sucks, and at a projected $25/pop or whatever, that's way too high to jump in blindly for potential shit figures.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Sure won't. If they post the bastards up front, at least the main 12, and 1/3 are ARAH hot-items like Zandar, Cover-Girl or Footloose, I'll go ahead and do the subscription and sell off the goofy others, at least for this first year. Just to support them. I'll have to get a second of those for openers, and who knows, if the gimmicky ones are okay, I may just keep the carded version (although I don't see myself getting duplicates of those to open).

But if it's all shit like cancelled Iron Klaw, cancelled Scarletts and Glow-in-the-Dark B.A.T.s, then to hell with it.

But I want to know up front. The 13th, fine, keep that one as a surprise. That makes sense and I kind of like a little mystery, but not with the whole series. Blind-packing sucks, and at a projected $25/pop or whatever, that's way too high to jump in blindly for potential shit figures.

This all the way^^

I would do the same

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I can agree with that. Which is why I am assuming that they WILL show us all the figures (at least the proto's) first.

Also, according to the link above, it sounds like they are considering letting you buy figures singly, without the subscription, or order extras (army-building)....the 13th being reserved strictly for the subscribers.

That would be smart of them to do that....which doesn't necessarily mean they will..

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I wouldn't mind being able to buy "bagged" figures at a cheaper rate since I open everything anyway

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I bet the profit margin in based on the overall cost of everything involved in the carded figure, though I don't see why they couldn't do both.. but I guess it'd be hard to figure out how many of each to order (Ending up with way to many of one and never enough of the other).

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I bet the profit margin in based on the overall cost of everything involved in the carded figure, though I don't see why they couldn't do both.. but I guess it'd be hard to figure out how many of each to order (Ending up with way to many of one and never enough of the other).

that's true. So are they going to produce the figure by sub or are they going to produce a certain number no matter what and then go from there?