NSA Q&A August Questions

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
that's true. So are they going to produce the figure by sub or are they going to produce a certain number no matter what and then go from there?

It sounds like they will make more figures than subscriptions...but who knows? Since the initial announcement, they really haven't said anything official or concrete since...

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
Oh, fine!

But I do think COBRA troops would look amazing in some real camo.. eastern European or some variant.

ROC had the first real Joe camouflage we'd seen (That stupid blue Pajama set), and the decent desert pattern on Desert Duke. They added the green woodland later on with some of the figures and it was decent.

The ROC silver and black they used for the COBRA troops was worse than blue shirts in my opinion, ugh.

I have an idea for a subforum I'm working on.. curious on your take X.

lol no cobra is blue and the movie was way worse thats for sure lol. what they could do is have blue still but have sub teams with real camo.

ok see this seems a bit off to me. ill post the quote and then say way.
The line will include 25th style updates of ARAH characters we didn’t get in the 25th line as well as new sculpt characters, female figures and foreign versions (ex. Quarrel)

ok the foreign is a great idea.as alot of ppl like to see them in the line. the 25th style updates of ARAH seems to me any way it will be 25th molds witch might be good or bad as i like the updated molds we got with poc but if they look like DT they will suck. now for new sculpt characters could mean made up characters or if they are smart comic book characters. now female figs is a good idea if they dont just reuse the same molds over and over agin.

now here comes the prob like alot of you said i dont want to buy something i cant see. also i don't want to sing up for all 13 figs as im the kind of guy who likes to pick and chose the best and leave the worse. then the price they could of made it 15bucks and still make money. 25 is just them being greedy. also if your not a member you will have to pay more. prob 35 a pop.

now when they say approved means hasbro gave them the ok. so thats good. they need to show at least the 12 of them and let us be able to pick and chose not have to buy all of them. as if they have all 13 done then it shouldn't be a prob to show them and let us pick the ones we want. as i dont want to get stuck with crap that i dont want. i mean say there is just one out of the 13 so you get stuck with all 13 that doesn't seem to be a smart move.

also like alot of you said they could make them bagged to save us cash for the ones who want to open them anyway. but time will tell so we will see

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No, Cobra definitely needs to step away from black/blue/red and get with environ-specific camos.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
As for running out of figures, that's a possibility

i actually couldnt see that happening...just thing of all the other lines out there...they could just keep re-doing Joes already done in new construction and better molds...think of all the Supermans out there ya know?

i mean, if they re-did the original 13 in PoC level of detail, i'd be all over it...

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
i actually couldnt see that happening...just thing of all the other lines out there...they could just keep re-doing Joes already done in new construction and better molds...think of all the Supermans out there ya know?

i mean, if they re-did the original 13 in PoC level of detail, i'd be all over it...

True. I was referring more to the fact there is a finite pool of characters to draw from, even if you do include variations and environmental outfits, etc. I can easily think of 52 characters (4 runs of 13) I'd like the Club to do, and I'm sure you can think of a different set of 52. So yeah, I agree with you that running out of figure ideas is not going to be a problem for a long time.

Actually, what I think would be interesting is if the Club created a one or two new characters per season. I've always thought is was pretty damn cool that the Canadian Joe Convention creates new named characters and bio's for their convention sets...it keeps the mythos alive. Sadly, except for Shadow Tracker and a couple vehicle drivers, Hasbro hasn't been doing that lately. I'd like the Club to pick up that slack. By not being limited to trying to pay homage to an already existing character, I bet they can come up with some great figures.

Lantern_lad

Vintage Graphic Designer
Jul 4, 2011
Southern California
My question's a bit hefty, so do with it what you will:

The question I would be interested in knowing is what your marketing plan/strategies are? I have worked in marketing for a few years now and I honestly don't understand Hasbro's plan. I am aware that this question probably will go unanswered because it's not your policy to answer questions regarding these things, but I hope it is at least asked as food for thought.
  • You do not advertise GI Joe anywhere... apparently not even to your retailers, where for the better part of this year Wal Mart discontinued the product, and Toys R Us has all but stopped even trying to put out new product, in favor of movie merchandise like Thor.
  • You only play cartoons on a network (The Hub, of course) that is not readily accessible to children (yet you claim that you market more toward children, rather than the collector). I understand the desire to own a network for mass-marketing purposes... but if it weren't for my DVR I wouldn't know when the show was on, when a new episode was coming, or even what channel it's on, and I'm a 36 year old. How do you think that's working with children?
  • You do not follow through with the cartoon you do have, putting it on 'hiatus' while you work on a new movie that will not see the light of day for well over a year. Leaving a vacuum that will only be filled with comics that are far too violent for children to read. And honestly, you expect us to believe that the same team working on a film is also working on your cartoon? I know how the industry works... and that's not how it rolls guys.
  • Great ideas like the 30 for 30 gimmick are said to be on hold because you don't want to limit yourselves... when in fact we'd be lucky if we saw 30 new pieces of product in a year the way things are going.
  • You do not cross-promote with GI Joe. Let's be honest, two of your better selling products you own: Transformers & NERF. You also own GI Joe... no licensing fees like your other products (Star Wars, Thor, Captain America, MU, etc.). CROSS-PROMOTE them! Have Joe based NERF gear, have Transformer/GI Joe crossovers do something new that will ignite interest! Maybe there's more to it than that, and you can't cross promote... who knows.

There is a lot of potential out there for marketing solutions to increase sales of your product and drive up brand interest, and the Hasbro marketing team is dropping the ball consistently. Time to think outside the box guys.

Lantern_lad

Vintage Graphic Designer
Jul 4, 2011
Southern California
Eh, you never know... the guy at the Con was kind of forthcoming when I asked him one of these questions (NERF & Joe together). One of those, "you think the collector market would support that?" If done right, yes. There are so many opportunities in properties they own, and the bottom line is they're scared to take a chance.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You need to put together a really boring power point presentation for the suits, that's the only way it'll ever get greenlit.

I agree with you, I think they have a goldmine of possibilities. I wonder, as it's been brought up by everyone associated with the brand that I've talked to, that they feel "military toys" are the wrong thing to bankroll on with our current military engagements going on. I think it's the opposite, free marketing..

Lantern_lad

Vintage Graphic Designer
Jul 4, 2011
Southern California
Exactly! If there is something this country desperately needs, it's a little bit of patriotism. And, IMHO, you don't get more patriotic than the men & women that serve.

It's just sad.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Silly fan, we need faith in our Robot friends, and mythical comic book heroes.. and toy lines with 36 different releases of the hero character and 2 bad guy figures.. (take your pick which Marvel line that is).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Except GI Joe, I will say they've done a great job (Since I started following with the 25th line) of making sure each team is pretty equally represented. Even with the Rattler/Conquest vehicle sets.

Granted, all they had to do was follow their own plan from 25 years ago, but I'm amazed they could do that :)

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
My question's a bit hefty, so do with it what you will:

The question I would be interested in knowing is what your marketing plan/strategies are? I have worked in marketing for a few years now and I honestly don't understand Hasbro's plan. I am aware that this question probably will go unanswered because it's not your policy to answer questions regarding these things, but I hope it is at least asked as food for thought.
  • You do not advertise GI Joe anywhere... apparently not even to your retailers, where for the better part of this year Wal Mart discontinued the product, and Toys R Us has all but stopped even trying to put out new product, in favor of movie merchandise like Thor.
  • You only play cartoons on a network (The Hub, of course) that is not readily accessible to children (yet you claim that you market more toward children, rather than the collector). I understand the desire to own a network for mass-marketing purposes... but if it weren't for my DVR I wouldn't know when the show was on, when a new episode was coming, or even what channel it's on, and I'm a 36 year old. How do you think that's working with children?
  • You do not follow through with the cartoon you do have, putting it on 'hiatus' while you work on a new movie that will not see the light of day for well over a year. Leaving a vacuum that will only be filled with comics that are far too violent for children to read. And honestly, you expect us to believe that the same team working on a film is also working on your cartoon? I know how the industry works... and that's not how it rolls guys.
  • Great ideas like the 30 for 30 gimmick are said to be on hold because you don't want to limit yourselves... when in fact we'd be lucky if we saw 30 new pieces of product in a year the way things are going.
  • You do not cross-promote with GI Joe. Let's be honest, two of your better selling products you own: Transformers & NERF. You also own GI Joe... no licensing fees like your other products (Star Wars, Thor, Captain America, MU, etc.). CROSS-PROMOTE them! Have Joe based NERF gear, have Transformer/GI Joe crossovers do something new that will ignite interest! Maybe there's more to it than that, and you can't cross promote... who knows.

There is a lot of potential out there for marketing solutions to increase sales of your product and drive up brand interest, and the Hasbro marketing team is dropping the ball consistently. Time to think outside the box guys.

all great points and ideas

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
thats a great question(s) LL...and i'd love to see it asked...but honestly, i'm guessing if it was sent to them, they'd see the length of the question and not even read one word and then answer with "thats a great idea, we'll have the team look into it"...huh?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Well it sure as shit can't be from getting too much product out so I don't know what their issue is. Next, each site will get to ask one question and only about a certain subject. Fockers!

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Nah, they'll just give us the list of questions we're allowed to ask.

Sadly, I could see that. They already say what you can't ask so might as well go full Monte. Might as well just make a blog and post what they want to tell. Douches.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
No updates yet. They didn't send out the MU ones either to other places. I think they are just ignoring us with those. Hopefully this week. I'll drop dude an e mail.