Retaliation Carded Pics

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I'd take a bunch of those black cobra troopers/officers. It'd save me having to rit dye my unopened troopers to make my POC Night Watch.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'd buy a handful of the Nightwatch Cobra Trooper and a Shipwreck for actual display purposes and then some of the others for customs.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm. I thought that when I saw the card art. They definitely look cheap (artwise) and would fit in at those Dollar General type stores. The quality of the figures isn't bad, though. As good as some of the POC/30th repaints were, and better than the majority of the Retaliation sculpts.

That Shipwreck will be great for the Deep Six custom I had planned but never got around to. He looks just like the torso from one of the original ARAH Hama comics (minus the head, of course). Maybe even a modern Cutter. He'll definitely be a figure I'd get multiples of.

I'll definitely get a few of that Officer, and as many of those "grunt" (greenshirt, Duke, Short-Fuze, whoever he is...) as I can muster. I love that helmet, and it'd be nice to update some of my O13 figures that were lackluster.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Yeah, agreed with you on the Dollar Store promotion.

Nice move by Hasbro for the fans of the 25th and 30th series.

As referenced by XOC:

http://generalsjoes.com/2012/04/16/details-revealed-about-vintage-themed-mystery-g-i-joe-figures/

Takes me back to the re-release of 1986 O-Ring Beachhead at Dollar General:

Image courtesy of cmistore.com

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wonder what dollar stores these will go to? These will be 8 dollar figures at Family Dollar, maybe a bit less at Dollar General.

We will NOT be seeing these at Dollar Tree, though I'd nut myself at the news of sightings there.

1 dollar retail Joes? Fuckin' A!

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
If (and it's a big IF) these actually do show up at dollar stores, Hasbro's whole "we had to cut costs on vehicle drivers so articulation had to go" argument will seem even more suspect.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
If (and it's a big IF) these actually do show up at dollar stores, Hasbro's whole "we had to cut costs on vehicle drivers so articulation had to go" argument will seem even more suspect.

Not really. If these were figures packed with vehicles then yeah. But single carded figures specifically for Dollar Stores have no relation to mainline Single cards, multi-packs, vehicles (w/driver mannequins), or those role play items.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Not really. If these were figures packed with vehicles then yeah. But single carded figures specifically for Dollar Stores have no relation to mainline Single cards, multi-packs, vehicles (w/driver mannequins), or those role play items.

Yeah, sorry, I don't see it. The argument was that cost restricted them to limit the articulation on the drivers, which are being mass-released as part of a movie line. And yet here we're seeing fully articulated figures on a line supposedly marketed towards cheaper retailers, where you'd expect them to be making the cuts. I know that the movie studio takes a cut of anything movie-related, but the numbers don't add up for me.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well, if these DPCI #s and prices are correct, then the Delta Vehicle price has gone down some, creating a need to cut costs.

Figures. 087060202. 8.99
Delta vehicle 087060253. 19.99
Bravo vehicle 087060257. 14.99
Alpha vehicle. 087060262. 12.99
Ninja set. 087060274. 24.99
10" battle battlers 087060270 19.99
Blade of justice. 087060283
Battle kata weapon. 087060284
Mask. 087060287

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

I completely agree.

I think these figs will be at Ross stores

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
Yeah, sorry, I don't see it. The argument was that cost restricted them to limit the articulation on the drivers, which are being mass-released as part of a movie line. And yet here we're seeing fully articulated figures on a line supposedly marketed towards cheaper retailers, where you'd expect them to be making the cuts. I know that the movie studio takes a cut of anything movie-related, but the numbers don't add up for me.

man i hear ya on all of this. and the lack of articulation has me being very picky on the ones i get now. so i think it might hurt the line cuse your going from 30anny articulation back to less Oring/25th.

to save a buck is BS as we want good articulation on our toys now !!! also thats what separates joe from figs like the Ateam figs that came out. so them tiring to save a buck they might lose more then a buck (at least from me lol).

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Will the dollar store figures actually come with weapons though? The VvV ones did, but when they got repackaged in 2009 they were striped of their weapons and gear while also recieveing a price increase. I don't want to pay five bucks for a figure that does not come with a weapon.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like these do. Couple-three accessories, no stands, no paper insert garbage.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
They might get their weapons and accesories stripped before they're released. You guys know how Hasbro can be.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
THere was actually a thread bitching about the lack of stands in the Retaliation line.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011

What numbers exactly?

Anyway these Dollar Store figures who use existing parts and bare minimum accessories probably come from a separate budget solely aimed at producing these figures for said Dollar stores.

SO I don't see how they have any implications on the vehicles and their crappy drivers, that's just Hasbro being cheap for whatever reasons they have.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Anyway these Dollar Store figures who use existing parts and bare minimum accessories probably come from a separate budget solely aimed at producing these figures for said Dollar stores.

SO I don't see how they have any implications on the vehicles and their crappy drivers, that's just Hasbro being cheap for whatever reasons they have.

Exactly - they're reused parts to save money, and yet Hasbro had to make new parts to save money on drivers rather than reusing parts to save money. How does that possibly add up?

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Exactly - they're reused parts to save money, and yet Hasbro had to make new parts to save money on drivers rather than reusing parts to save money. How does that possibly add up?

Here's Has Bro himself giving the official explanation at a recent press conference:

bitetheasp

Enlisted
Aug 2, 2011
Wasn't the single knee and no ankle articulation 'attributed' to stability issues for the big ass launchers?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's the first I'm hearing that but I still call BS.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Oh my god. Hasbro has done the worst management job over the GI Joe property imaginable. They refuse to strong arm the retailers into properly distributing the product like they would with other brands. They refuse to make any serious effort to advertise the product to kids who would love this shit even if it didn't come with brightly colored spring loaded rocket launcher ninja stars. They keep catering to both fans and what they think kids would like, despite the fact that you can never please fans and kids don't know about the property because it's not advertised.

AND now we have the Retaliation vehicle driver fiasco that officially makes NO since now that the dollar store figures have been introduced. Hasbros market decisions must be decided the same way Family Guy decides what it's next joke is going to be.

Joe vs Cobra, SpyTroops, and VvV was the last time the brand made any since from a marketing perspective.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The ROC stands were pretty crappy.
I hardly use stands anyway.

Choir, man, choir. I have a sackful of them. Keep hoping I can find someone that hoards Marauder weapons and needs them. :D

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
stands aren't a deal braker but I do like them and use them. I usually display my figs on a shelf and I like the stands(the 25th ones anyway)