Should Santa bring us a USS Flagg?

What Should I do?

• Total voters

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
On my wedding anniversary in 2011, I was surfing the interwebz and did a craigslist search for GI Joe...found this in South eastern Maryland. Called the guy up said I'm really interested and I would drive 2.5 hours to come get it immediately. It's in the exact condition that I dreamed of finding one - open box, sealed contents, slight damage to the box = I'm not really opening a sealed box which isn't in the best shape, but I get to pull the parts off the sprues.

This was my Holy Grail as a kid. My parents couldn't afford one, but they used the price to help me understand the cost of stuff (gotta fix the car - 2 USS Flaggs, etc.).

My 5 year old twins are really into playing GI Joes and I've showed them the pictures and commercials and they are always asking about the size of it (is it longer than the couch? would it fit in their bed? etc.).

This year they both wanted a Nintendo DS, which I have told them repeatedly I'm not getting them because they don't need a game in their hands all the time (we limit games to a couple of hours only on weekends). So with DSs in hand for Christmas morning, I'm debating on having Santa show up with this...they both asked for it so we can play together and that I'd have one too they said).

So question - with the magic of Santa firmly in place for this year (thank you Mario and Luigi), what should I do?

Last edited:

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
let me tell you something about this toy. it is durable. I had it since I was a kid. it has survived many moves. I even left it outside for 2 years set up during rain, sun and snow. the only thing that happened to it was sun fade.

I recently repainted it to bring it to it's former glory but to this day I still have my childhood toy that my mom bought me during the years we were on foodstamps, broke as shit and barely could afford to heat the house. I will never get rid of it.

This thing was built like a brick and will survive your kids playing with it. and you my friend, will enjoy watching them playing with it and reliving your childhood through them.

It's a toy, screw the box, open it and enjoy the times with it, with them. make a memory.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I agree with Ewok 100%, have a blast. To you it is only a possession, to them it is a vehicle of imagination!

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I am in total agreement! Open it up and have fun!!! I think it is awesome your kids are thinking of you too in that you would finally have one!!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'd definitely give it to them this year...by next year, there's a possibility they may no longer have interest...yeah, they'll be eyeballs deep into the DSs, but they'll have to tire of them on occasion, right?

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
be hipster and turn it into a coffee table. So that way you can have it out all the time. When no ones around play with it.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
I'm gonna have to disagree with all the people above. I think it's just too fragile, especially since over time the plastic has gotten more and more brittle. Also keep in mind you'll have to spend another $150 to get a repro set of decals, because you'll never get the originals to stay down. But most importantly the basic structure of it does not hold up well, the tabs break off extremely easily. Not to mention the very small pieces that commonly get lost, the purge valve, mast cap, y pins, fantail railing etc. I think you should spend 2-300 bucks for a decent flagg, and then give it a few years before a minty one.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
I'm gonna have to disagree with all the people above. I think it's just too fragile, especially since over time the plastic has gotten more and more brittle. Also keep in mind you'll have to spend another $150 to get a repro set of decals, because you'll never get the originals to stay down. But most importantly the basic structure of it does not hold up well, the tabs break off extremely easily. Not to mention the very small pieces that commonly get lost, the purge valve, mast cap, y pins, fantail railing etc. I think you should spend 2-300 bucks for a decent flagg, and then give it a few years before a minty one.

negative ghostrider. besides these smaller pieces, this thing is a toy. i still have mine and would trust kids to play with it. there are so many repro items out there that can replace this stuff and money? money can buy a new one.

but memories playing with this with your kids? THAT can never be replaced. watching your kids have the time of their lives playing with a REAL toy? THAT can never be replaced. watching them use their imagination rather than push buttons to make a bunch of pixels jump? THAT can never be replaced.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Eddie, seriously, have you come out yet?

I'd defintely let them open in. The question is when, of course, but unless you bought it as an investment or display piece, it should be played with.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'd definitely let them play with it, but I'm not sure age five is the best time. I think I'd wait a year or two when they can actually play with it without destroying it or losing all the pieces.

I've pieced together a nearly complete FLAGG, and I suspect my son will be at least seven before I let him know it exists. That still gives him many many good years to play with it and make memories, etc.

footloose

Enlisted
Jul 19, 2011
Id keep it sealed. But if your kids actually take care of their stuff let them have some fun. To me its a rare vintage piece of gi joe and will only become more rare as the years go by. Its your property do what you want with it

Gungho-joe

Enlisted
Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
Santa should leave that under your tree for your kids this year. I have a 8yr old and 5 year old sons and they play with my FLAGG and have never broke anything on it. I have a pic of my youngest son at age 3 sleeping on the flight deck. I made sure that they play with it while Daddy is with them but they should unwrap that jewel christmas morning and spend the day learning how to do flight ops from daddy.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
I personally think it's what type of person you are. Are you going to think back and ask "did we have fun? Was it worth it?" I can personally remember all the fun times I had playing with toys when I was little with my older brother and my father, those were some of the funnest moments of my childhood. Bring those moments to your kids!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I would open it. Thats just me though. I have/had a mint castle greyskull that i got out for my kids to play with. Now a few pieces are broken. No big deal. Watching my kids play on it makes it worth it no matter how much they bust it up. I can see my younger self in them every single time they play with it. I let my kids play with all my toys. Even my SDCC Exclusives. Thats what they are for.