SUPER 61 IS DOWN! - a dio photo series by FLED74

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
The world had suddenly gone to shit.
Super Six-One spun wildly out of control, its tail rotor destroyed by an RPG.
They were descending rapidly, and the best efforts of pilots "Elvis" Wolcott and "Bull" Briley did little to forestall the inevitable.
In the back of the chopper, Delta SSG Dan Busch heard the chatter over the comms suddenly cease in stunned silence, then resume with greater urgency.
"Six-One is hit!"
"Wolcott's bird is hit!"
"We have a Black Hawk going down!"

Then there was a loud crash, and the world went dark.

Busch crawled painfully from the wreckage of Super Six-One. The Black Hawk had gone down in a narrow street in the heart of Mogadishu. All around them, armed Somalis had begun to converge on the downed chopper.

He could hear one of the crew chiefs groaning in pain. The other guys were silent, and he couldn't tell if they were still alive.
He didn't know how long he'd been unconscious, but the comm chatter indicated that a team was en route to his position.

Enemy gunfire exploded around him, the rounds hissing dangerously close. Busch returned fire, unaware that a group of Sammies were sneaking up behind him with a technical.

Wincing in pain, Busch took down a pair of Somali gunmen who had charged on his position.

The Habir Gedr militiamen were approaching, and Busch checked his six in time to see them drawing close.

He raised his rifle, and another fusillade of enemy fire erupted around him.

Busch grunted in agony as a volley of shots struck his left side, ringing off the chopper's steel skin.

Dropping to the ground, he took cover behind the crashed hull. He could hear the SAR bird approaching, but the area was still too hot to attempt a landing.

Suddenly the approaching Sammies collapsed in a heap as they were cut down by a barrage of fire.

Lt. Tom DiTomasso and some men from Ranger Chalk Two had arrived, and were clearing the immediate area around the crash site.

Clouds of dust swirled around Busch as the SAR Little Bird, call sign Star 4-1, landed in the narrow street nearby.

One of the rescue pilots, Chief Warrant Officer Keith Jones, disembarked under covering fire from Ranger Chalk Two and moved to assist Busch. His copilot, CW3 Karl Meier, kept the rotors spinning.

"C'mon buddy, we're getting you outta here."

-continued below-

Last edited:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
CW5 Jones helped the wounded Busch into the cramped rear space, while Meier helped provide cover with his sidearm. Enemy fire smacked the ground around them and ricocheted off the side of the Little Bird.
Over the comm came the voice of air commander Lt Col Tom Matthews: "Four One, come on out. Come out now."

Meier refused to leave until Jones was safely back aboard.

Clambering back into the cockpit, Jones took the cyclic stick and told Meier "I have it."
He pulled up on the collective lever, and the MH-6 lifted off in a swirl of dust and smoke, leaving DiTomasso and his men to check on the crew of Super 6-1.

Aboard the orbiting C2 Black Hawk, air commander Matthews and ground force commander Lt Col (Delta) Gary Harrell watched Star 4-1 clear the rooftops and head back to base. "Four One is coming out." Jones told the command net.

"Clear. Go!" The men sprinted across the open space toward the downed Black Hawk as Somali gunfire erupted with renewed fury.

Taking cover behind the wreck, Lt DiTomasso and SPC Mike Kurth returned fire as RPG rounds streaked past, detonating against nearby houses.

PVT John Waddell came next, lugging his SAW as enemy rounds kicked up fountains of dirt around him.

SSG Ed Yurek followed, yelling "The rest of the guys are right behind me!" Four more men from Chalk Two were securing a building next to the crash site. Although they didn't know it yet, Rangers from Chalk Four led by SSG Matt Eversmann were nearby as well.

Returning enemy fire, the Rangers attempted to secure the chopper itself for the medics and PJs who were also on their way, aboard a CSAR Black Hawk.

Although Six-One's crew chiefs clung to life inside the wreck, the Rangers didn't yet know that both pilots, Cliff "Elvis" Wolcott and Donovan "Bull" Briley, were already dead.
What everyone did know, however, was that Task Force Ranger had lost the initiative, and that they had a very long fight ahead of them.

END OF CHAPTER

NOTE: When I set this task for myself (doing scenes from Black Hawk Down in toy form), I knew there was no way I could accurately depict the mission with my limited budget and space.
I took a lot of liberties with this photo set alone. I combined details from both the book and movie. Characters are combined/omitted. Uniforms are not accurate, and the sequence of events has been slightly altered.

I made these changes because it would take more time and money than I actually have in order to do it right, not to disrespect the men who fought and died in the battle. I have nothing but the greatest respect for these men, and by doing these dioramas I hope to show my true appreciation for their bravery and heroism.

Last edited:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Thanks man! It took me forever to set up and photograph (about 3.5 hours from start to finish) and to digitally add backgrounds and FX (about 6-7 hours in Photoshop).

It was a lot of freaking work. I hope it was worth it. :)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
F*@#ing awesome!!...the angles are fantastic and the effects are beautifully done...bravo good sir...

Maybe a shot of the figures?...they look really good...the vests in particular...did you piece them together or are they off existing figures?...I really like Buschs vest

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Fled, you have a real passion for this particular subject and it shows, wonderfull work.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Fantastic work...

Now you just need an Aussie bird eating spider to crawl out of the downed chopper and start eating them.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Thanks again, guys! :)

Not sure who Busch's black vest originally came with, but the ones I have are Raginspoon castings.
The green camo vests are just PTE ones that I combined with belts and pouches, and repainted. The middle one with the TR head is a repainted black vest.
The "grenadier" one on the far left came from a Night Adder, but the old Roadblock fig and the Jurassic Park guy have it as well.

They're inaccurate, yes, but they're good enough for my purposes. :)

Also, here's a pic of the setup in my backyard, as promised.
6'x2.5' folding plastic picnic table, covered with a plastic tablecloth and some play sand. Yeah, the dirt in Somalia is more of a rust colour, but I didn't have any orange sand. :p
The white cardboard box on the left is just to bounce some light back into the harsh shadows behind the Black Hawk, even if the sand did reflect some light as well.
I had to keep moving the table to try and keep the light angle constant as the sun moved across the sky.

Now I'm off to bed. It's 2:30AM here on Saturday morning and I just finished watching Saving Private Ryan and I'm nodding off at the computer. :)

'Night, all.

Last edited:

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Go for it. They're just painted cardboard boxes.
I'm making some "zero-calorie" background flats as well, old-school Hollywood style. :)

It's really useful for some larger sets. I've never tried the old Hollywood style backgrounds, usually just stick to colored colored poster board. I might look into it though.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

Not sure who Busch's black vest originally came with, but the ones I have are Raginspoon castings.
The green camo vests are just PTE ones that I combined with belts and pouches, and repainted. The middle one with the TR head is a repainted black vest.
The "grenadier" one on the far left came from a Night Adder, but the old Roadblock fig and the Jurassic Park guy have it as well.

6'x2.5' folding plastic picnic table, covered with a plastic tablecloth and some play sand. Yeah, the dirt in Somalia is more of a rust colour, but I didn't have any orange sand. :p
The white cardboard box on the left is just to bounce some light back into the harsh shadows behind the Black Hawk, even if the sand did reflect some light as well.
I had to keep moving the table to try and keep the light angle constant as the sun moved across the sky.

Now I'm off to bed. It's 2:30AM here on Saturday morning and I just finished watching Saving Private Ryan and I'm nodding off at the computer. :)

'Night, all.

amazing!!!! The MacGyver dio shot, and just like him, in the end its always a win!!

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa

'Night, all.

AWESOME! I can never get paint to stick to PTE vests...it cracks and peels off where it flexes... Nice to knwo Raginspoon has that vest too!

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Wow, this is very impressive. I like the truck the Aidid's men are using. Did you make that from scratch?

Gungho-joe

Enlisted
Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
totally blown away by this!!!! I could sit thru a 2 1/2 hour version of your work!! Good Stuff....hope there is more!!!

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
AWESOME! I can never get paint to stick to PTE vests...it cracks and peels off where it flexes...

I used both Tamiya and Games Workshop acrylics applied in thin layers. I haven't had problems yet. :)

Wow, this is very impressive. I like the truck the Aidid's men are using. Did you make that from scratch?

It's a Schleich SUV that I stretched and modified. :)
http://hobbystop.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/7016838-modified-schleich-technical-

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa