Takara Transformers

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
So glad I’m done. The only 2.0 I want and am willing to pay their new prices for is Sideswipe since his current mold really feels it’s age and I want him to match my beautiful Streaker.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
People cry about the prices, but keep paying them, they'll keep raising prices. I'm actually glad the line went in slavish direction. Monies saved!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I bought the new Badcube Sideswipe a few months back. It's nice. The chest gimmick is really clever to make it skinny in bot mode. It's look is very toony, modern engineering, and on paper has everything you could ask for. And side-by-side, I found myself far more interested in MP-12. Apparently I like the head, I like the wide chest, and I don't have nearly as many issues with him as some fans seem to. I have jream's panels to cover the lower leg gaps, and other than not being a big fan of the feet, HasTak Sideswipe is still on the '84 battle shelf and BC is relegated to the closet of misfit/replaced toys.

The badcube car mode is definitely superior, far less big gaps and broken lines all over the place. But on my '84 bot shelf, someone is going to have to do a better job to unseat MP-12. Plus, he fits with my wide-chested Omni sunstreaker better too.

At some point, I'll transform BC back to a car and replace the KO MP-12 that I have sitting on the car-mode shelf, but I have no desire to transform him a bunch of times (once was enough), and I want to take a G1 sideswipe group shot when the legends figures from MFT, HS, and NA come out later this year.

In other news, my Magic Square Prime arrived today from his shipping nightmare. I'll give some impressions later this evening hopefully.

Eddie, the last Takara bot I bought (that wasn't on clearance) was MP-22. The line has more than doubled in size since then. I definitely feel your pain, as I don't know why fans are throwing money at mediocre toys.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I feel like we are in the minority. Most seem to want that slavish design. They even want animation errors. So I guess good for them.

I just wish that that 1:18th TF line would've continued. I'd completely abandon the 1:28th(?) line for that.

I too dig BCs alt mode, but his bot mode looks a tad gorilla-y.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
BC's head is the biggest problem for me. The ears aren't right, and the face takes up way too much room on his head and his eye-line sits way too high with a little short forehead. It's just not quite right. I've thought about modding him with a noggin from the new Siege Sideswipe, but I still don't think I'd replace MP-12, so I doubt I'll bother. I like MP-12 wide chest. I know it's not toony enough for most people, but I prefer it.

I want these things to look like the old toys, but I finally figured out why. Something I've come to realize in the last few months... I had most of these toys as a kid, and while I taped the cartoon and watched it constantly, I spent more time with the toys. The toys are my jam. So for most of these figures, the toy look is what I prefer.

I spend lots of money on reprolebels to give them all the toy deco possible.... until I get to a character I didn't own as a kid. For those, my main exposure was via the cartoon, and for those characters, I prefer the cartoon look. Blaster for example, I didn't own, and I think KFC Transistor with toy-esque stickers looks WAAAAAAAAAAY too gaudy/busy, and I prefer him to be all plain.

But since I was an avid collector with enabler parents and grandparents, the toy version is typically the one I prefer for most characters. My preference is clearly divided between toy and toon based on whether or not I owned the G1 version. I wonder if I'm alone.

Reactions: pcsguy88

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
First impressions of MS-01...

-the color is more red than in pictures, which is a good thing. It's a lighter shade of red than MP-10, and the matte finish almost makes it look pastel in the online photos I've seen, so I was pleased that it really is red. That being said, I would have preferred the colors be more rich and toy-like, but that clearly wasn't the intent.

-the weight was also a pleasant surprise. After reports that he was "light", I feared he'd give off the impression of being a cheap figure. That wasn't my impression in-hand, but the knee ratchets do kinda echo, so I assume the legs are pretty empty in botmode. Maybe that's the root of their complaints, but I don't see that ever bothering me personally. I measured him and a few others for reference just to see how heavy he is.

MP-10 = 15.1oz
MS-01 = 14.2oz
KFC Transistor = 12.2oz
MP-12 = 4.8oz

Magic Square weighs 94% as much as MP-10, so the "light" complainers are full of shit.

- the sculpt and shelf presence are great, and they are further magnified when side-by-side with MP-10. MS makes him look like a fossil. MS's head is a vast improvement over TT too, and he doesn't have TT's dead zombie eyes either.

-he comes with the gun, energy axe, battle-damaged windows, and an alternate helmet w/o the cap brim. I'm leaving mine as-is.

Again, this is just out of the box impressions, but I suspect I'm going to be very pleased with this purchase. While the paint colors could be more saturated, this doesn't necessarily feel like a toon prime or a toy prime... it's just Prime and a nice one at that, which should please a lot of people from both camps. TBH, he almost reminds me of comic book prime from the old marvel series. Regardless, I'm happy. I look forward to MS's upcoming legends version of this figure, as well as an inevitable toy-colored repaint that I will probably buy. ;)

Reactions: pcsguy88

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That is one that I'd love to see get knocked up, but the likelihood of that happening is zero.

Your toon/toy collection theory is interesting. But it doesn't pan out for me. We (me and my bro) had five or less TF figures? Two? Our biggest exposure was the toons. So you'd think with more exposure to the toon that I'd be all over that slavishness. I am not. *shrugs* Though thinking about it, I did have Jetfire/Skyfire (man did I swoon for that toy) and I've passed on both of the toon versions. But if someone did do a toy deco, I'd be all over that. So maybe there is something to the theory.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Eddie, it holds almost universally for me in the brief time I've thought about it. I'll pay more attention going forward.

I too prefer Jetfire (although I bought Daca and FT Skyfire figures). One of my fav TF childhood memories... My mom's friend had an overstock-and-returns outlet place (waaaaay before BigLots) when I was ~11. She got several Jetfires in that were returned with missing parts. I was very excited, and she told my mom that we could just pick through them all to make a complete figure. So I did, but I had no money. Mom bought it, and then I bugged her incessantly to give me chores to do so that I could earn enough to get that thing from her. I still have him, and he keeps constant watch over my son's bedroom ;)

PCS, that's how I felt about it, but YMMV. I know I like him better than MP-10, and based on photos, I'm pretty sure I like him better than TE-01, and TT v3 does nothing for me at all. I hope you like this guy as much as I do so far.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The pictures of MS-01 next to MP-36 sold me on the aesthetics and hearing that he is a brighter red just sweetens the deal. I was just hesitant after the complaints of him being ‘light’ started getting tossed about. When I painted my Transistor’s face I realized he wasn’t as light as I had remembered and your little test shows MS is heavier. I have no problem spending $100 on him and then waiting to see the quality of TT v3 KO’s a year from now.

Speaking of FT Skyfire, did you see Hasbro’s? All the joints are the same. They have KO’d Fanstoys:

1549543483298.jpg

1549543512050.jpg

1549543549386.jpg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Holy crap, I posted in the XTB Locke thread (over there) that Koot was "absurdly short", and you'd have thought I punched the Queen in the face. Snaku is having a shit-fit, complete with insults and name-calling. :laugh:

PCS, is that a new CHUG Skyfire? I don't even follow Hasbro releases anymore, but that doesn't look toony enough to be an MP release.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I like details but holy geeze that thing is far too busy with panel lines. And either his arms are short or they so buff that they give the illusion that they are short.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
He’s part of the chug Siege line which is very greebly cybertronian G1 aesthetics. 11” tall, $79. Their new 24” Omega is $159.

Attachments

• 1549569666783.jpg
    1549569666783.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 3

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I swear, TT could learn a thing of two from the 3P legends toy makers, like NA and Magic Square. Those guys make some great toony little bots with fairly simple transformations. I know they wouldn't just directly translate to a much larger scale, but I'd be tempted to start there and only make it more complicated where necessary... rather than the approach they took, i.e. "Let's see how many different panels we can make a giant backpack out of!"

If their goal was to make me like Bee v1 better, then mission accomplished. Everything that should be either black or chrome is now "destroyer grey". Such a letdown.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like a Bayformer. :laugh:

Okay, I exaggerate, but what a mess. And does he have fake car part feet or does that piece of the hood on his back really eventually meet up with the feet front end pieces?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Everything that should be either black or chrome is now "destroyer grey".

TFW - "CUZ CARTOON ACCURATE YOU ABSOLUTE ASS MUNCHING PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!! REEEEEEEE!!!"""

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Issues with this figure aside, I don't understand HasTak's overall obsession with Bumblebee. He was irritating as f#$% in 1984, and time hasn't done him any favors. If he were a Star Wars character, he'd be JarJar. If he were a person, he'd be Corky from "Life Goes On". Yet the property owners treat him like he's THE main character. If Prime is Duke, to them BB is Snake-Eyes, and I absolutely don't understand it. I don't buy all the clap-trap about him being the POV character. He was just a useless whiner. "But Priiiiiiiiiiiiime, what about...."

If they start a new line of figures, Bumblebee is the second autobot they make, every time. He was the star of an animated series. He got his own movie that was actually good. If you had told me in '84 that he'd get a solo feature film 34 years later, I'd have laughed my ass off. Mirage? Jazz? Blaster? Maybe, but not f#$%ing Bumblebee. I swear, if they could turn him into a ninja and put a tattoo on his forearm, they would. Of all the characters in this franchise to promote, I'd take practically anyone else first. Give me a Hound 'Nam movie. THAT would be good.

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm surprised about that poll at TFW. It's been hovering at 60+% prefer the old style more. I honestly expected around 90% +/- slavishly toon favorability.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm surprised about that poll at TFW. It's been hovering at 60+% prefer the old style more. I honestly expected around 90% +/- slavishly toon favorability.
Agreed, that would have been my expectation as well. When I express an opinion over-there, I always feel like I'm swimming upstream. Maybe the Toonies are just more vocal? Someone needs to let HasTak know that the desire for toon accuracy is fake news.

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I saw that. Quite sexy with it's poseability. He looks like a slender version of MAS-01.
Right? I'm just waiting for HLJ to put up the pre-orders. Even if this matches nothing else scale-wise, it's cool enough to add to the collection anyway, even if it just becomes a desk toy. But I suspect they'll be making others, and the thought of that makes me giddy. I just hope they get past five characters before quitting like Revo did last time.

And apparently I have stirred the pot in the poll thread. A Toonie has busted out the pitchfork!

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Their crossover Star Wars stuff was always the exact same crappy bot, but they really nailed that Ecto 1. I might be tempted and just keep it in alt mode if it looks that good in person.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, it definitely reminds me of the old SW TFs. I never bought any of them because I didn't know what to do with a robotic Chewbacca or a Darth Vader that turns into a Death Star. What's the point? I don't understand the play-pattern hasbro expect from these crossover TFs. Unless they make tiny GB figures so you could actually play like the Ecto-1 turned into a ghost-fighting robot, what's the point?

I didn't "get it" with SW and Marvel TFs, and I still don't.

And confusion about "why" aside, that's a shitty shell-former if I've ever seen one. The front 2/3 of the car is just hanging off his back, like a gobot f#$%ed an armadillo.