Takara Transformers

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
😂

That was great. OP's exasperation watching whatevertheirnamesare working with the Constructicons on the monitor was the best.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'd be all over it if I had $1200 to spare for a year. Garrison bought 2 of the $500 Jabba Barges and had the 2nd one sold for $1000 within a day of it showing up at his door. It seems people's wallets get a lot looser when the object is real and available immediately and I'd gladly take a free 19lb transforming robot.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have absolutely zero interest in that thing, but, the price isn't bad at all considering 3rd party combiner prices.
Yeah, my Omega Supreme scratches my gigantic transforming robot itch and did it for less than half the price. Not even at the age of 12 when in the theatre watching the movie did I want a Unicron anything. This toy's entire cool factor rest on the 19lb stat.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mmm, looks more like M.A.S.K. scale or whatever those mini CoD guys are called...MEGA?

Ooo! Ooo! It looks like whatever scale GIJOE vehicles were.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Wait, that thing transforms?
Yes. Really well if you do not mind a Bayformer design on occasion.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Nice! He was certainly one of the best ones to own back in the day and a favorite on the cartoon, despite him having the same crazy disconnect Megatron had between robot and tape player/gun size.

What is he these days, a communications satellite?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nice! He was certainly one of the best ones to own back in the day and a favorite on the cartoon, despite him having the same crazy disconnect Megatron had between robot and tape player/gun size.

What is he these days, a communications satellite?
Think he was a satellite and then a Mercedes car in the Bay films.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
35yrs later I finally own Soundwave.
View attachment 12592
Very nice. What, no frenzy/laserbeak for you?

I found these at WM this morning too. They were still mid-reset, the pegs/shelves totally bare, and I spotted these across the isle, on the top shelf behind a box of kiddie lightsabers or something. I snagged SW and both pair of cassettes. Whatever toolbag that hid them is going to return very disappointed.

(seriously, who hides toys in 2019? what adult doesn't have a credit card? if you're so poor as to need to hide them "for later", then you probably shouldn't be buying toys. WTF Mattel! If you can't afford them when you're in the store, chances are you can't afford them period.)

These G1 reissues are a bit pricey, and I hesitated to spend over a hundred bucks on toys I'll never open, but I just love the look. I have my old worn out G1 toys to mess with, and I also have the modern G1 KOs on display, but these are just cool. Plus I love seeing the vintage box art in stores again. Move over KOs, you're headed to storage!

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I didn't buy the other pack since I have Frenzy preordered on Hasbro Pulse, so I'll just have to live without Laserbeak unless they drop down to $10 on clearance. I'm glad WM has given me a reasonably affordable way to get some shiny new G1 toys and SW was my biggest wish besides the impossible to re-release Jetfire.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/preorders/products/transformers-vintage-g1-mini-cassettes-3-pack-gurafi-noizu-decepticon-frenzy

I also used $35 of credit I had on Amazon to grab this set last night to finish off the super rare G1 cassettes:

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Sigh, if only. I was never more excited to receive a toy when I was kid more than JF.
Skystriker Christmas ‘83. For some reason I never had any TFs bigger than some Diaclone dinobots from my mom’s trip to Korea, a different color Valk from that same trip and Thrust (my only seeker). I guess anything bigger than a car bot was too expensive in the US.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
JF was the largest TF I ever owned. But aside from him, I wasn't really asking my parents for many. Well, combiners, but that was more commitment then I guess they were willing to, uh, commit. I just wasn't into TF's that much. Not like JOES and other action figures. The Stealth was the biggest JOE toy I ever got. Or is the Night Raven larger?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Skystriker was easily my biggest present until Laser Tag came out which was quickly disassembled and wires snipped when my 2 friends who also got it were always grounded. I exchanged the “broken” and obviously sold out Laser Tag pistol for a new fangled machine called Nintendo. I mean, I did live in Redmond Washington at the time and we got Nintendo test market stuff well in advance of the rest of you losers.

So something weird is happening, I cannot bring myself to open the cassettes no matter how badly I want to play with Ravage. I have never once been a MISB guy, but there is something about this card that I cannot crack...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I remember all the big boxes, but I couldn't tell you which was the biggest. AT-AT from Empire was a biggie. Ewok Village was pretty big. Joe HQ, Skystriker, Hovercraft, and Stealth were all biggies too.

But in terms of TFs, JF was among the largest I owned (never had any of the city bots). I had similarly tall bots like Shockwave, Galvatron, and most of the early waves of combiners, but JF probably came in the largest box of them all.

I got my JF from a local scratch-n-dent overstock store. It was run by one of my mom's friends. They got in several Jetfires that were dented, returned, or missing pieces, and she told my mom I could go through them and find all the parts to make a whole one, which I did. Then mom bought it and put it away until I had the liquidity to buy it from her with my own money. I begged for odd jobs around the house for weeks that summer of '85... But I still have it. Actually my son has it, and it's among his favorite TFs too.

Knowing it would never see any kind of re-release, a few years back, I bought a well-cared-for used one that someone still had the box, inserts, and everything to go with it. So that's my "MIB" display version. The box isn't perfect, but sitting on a shelf looking pretty, it does the job 95% as well as an actual MISB toy... at 10% of the price.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I've seen the single, but I didn't know they were making a 3-pack, very cool. I agree, for hasbro it's not bad.

I still find the Siege stuff a bit on the greebly side, so much extra detail and a zillion little raised panels and lines. After staring at the FT versions for years, these look very busy. But overall Siege is better than the last few lines in terms of their G1-ness.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The 3 pack is a cancelled Hascon exclusive that is done up in G1 colors with a few extra camera bits.

I absolutely love the Siege line with their pre G1 storyline and character models that look like they turn into our favorite designs. The comics draw them with the same greebling and kibble as the toys which is pretty nifty for tying it all together. The toys are smaller than years past, but they do try to hide the hollowness and the paint applications are many.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My son has several Siege figures, and they do have a strong G1 vibe, which I like and encourage. And you're right, they do seem to hide the hollowness better than Combiner Wars and Titans Return style figures. I wasn't aware that Siege figures came with comics. That seems like something I would have known.

I have long since stopped caring about any TF hasbro produces, except to buy them for the boy. I liquidated my extensive CHUG collection in '14 and have not missed it even once. I haven't even bought a Tak MP since getting Tracks on clearance several years ago. The only 3P/MP figures I've gotten all year are the XTB Stunticons and MagicSquare Prime. Once they finally release Motormaster from that set, my MP want list will be really short, probably just down to FT Blitzwing, XTB Springer, and a tolerable Astrotrain by anyone. I could also see myself getting sucked into a G1 Combaticon box set, but of all the giant Bruiticus's, I haven't found one that lights my fire.

If it weren't for 3P legends from IronFactory and MFT, I'd almost be out of the TF game completely. At some point, you acquire nice versions of all your favorite characters in many scales and styles, and continuing to accumulate more loses it's appeal.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Agreed. I thought I was done with TFs (especially anything Hasbro) and then Siege dropped. Of course I bought the one figure to see if they were really as good as the crowd praise and they were. I buy them because these are the ones I fiddle with since they have relatively quick transformations and breaking a part doesn't cost me $100+ off of my MP shelf. I'm mostly buying figures I do not have like Ultra Magnus, Reflector, Brunt and the pyramid seekers. They definitely scratch a different itch and give me something to look forward to as they trickle in since the only other thing I even want is MOTU MB figures that I can't have.

This is first real comic I have followed in my life and it's not too bad. I just buy the digital versions from Apple for $2 after they've been out for several weeks.

(2019) Transformers | IDW Publishing

1568209979769.png

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Ahhh, I see. I'm glad you're enjoying it. It seems to be very polarizing, people either really like it or really hate it.

Ironically, it's the first ongoing TF comics series I just stopped reading after the first few issues. Sooooooooo much talking. To me it read like the Galactic Senate scenes in Phantom Menace. Several issues in, nothing happened of consequence and my eyes started to gloss over. And I'm not too keen on the new little POV character.

When I pick up a book about warring transforming robots, I want to see transforming robots fight, good vs evil adventures, and a little humor sprinkled in for good measure. Existential navel-gazing, commentary on identity politics, or general philosophical angst are not what drew me to the franchise and not what I expect to see in the comics.

For example, the previous iteration of long-running IDW TF titles had Prowl as the biggest villain, Arcee as an angry abuse-victim-trans-gender zombie, Megatron and Soundwave as actual sympathetic good guys, Rodimus as basically robot-Deadpool, and Optimus Prime as an unsure, unfit, and completely inept leader. He's supposed to be John Wayne, not Woody Allen. I don't think IDW understands the property/characters in the least.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s funny. I’ve read 4 or 5 to this point and just thought this is how comics were. I just keep waiting for something to happen, but do enjoy how they characterize the established G1 bots pre-earth.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Comics are generally not that boring. Stuff typically happens. It's a visual medium, and talking heads are rarely the best way to tell a story in comics.

It's a true shame the Dreamwave material is no longer in print or available digitally that I can tell (although if you know the right people, like on a toy message board, they can probably hook you up...). While the company's business practices were shit (and why they went tits up in spectacular fashion), the comics they produced were the closest thing we've ever seen to the G1 cartoon, albeit for a somewhat older audience. It was action packed, bordering on frenetic. Pat Lee is a con man, but for a brief time, they put out some good TF comics.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Wow, that is a panel-y mess. His backpack is the size of a volkswagen... oh wait...

Part of me says, "yeah, that's a better shade of yellow, and the shape of the car, while stupid and chibi, is practically iconic at this point." The other part says, "It would looks absurd with all the other realistic/proper MPs."

Mostly, I'm good enough with the first one that I feel no compulsion to "upgrade", especially at that price. Even a half-priced KO would be a stretch. Mine will likely never see car mode ever again anyway.

Bumblebee is the jar-jar of the franchise, so the idea that he gets so much attention in the cartoons or toy designs is completely baffling to me.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’d actually buy him out of boredom if it wasn’t for that car wreck on his back and feet. I also noticed the outside of the doors make the bottom of his feet which makes me question the sanity of the engineer. Nobody wants scratched up car panels.