Wayward Goat Collectibles MARV Modular Armored Range Vehicle Coming Soon To Kickstarter

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for sharing this Slaymaker!

Wonder what the price will be. Definitely interested as long as C.I.A.D. Has nothing to do with it.

The MARV is my project. Cobra Island/CIAD was just kind enough to share it. I haven't locked down a price point yet, but that should be worked out over the next few weeks. Keeping it affordable is a top priority, and I'm hoping to find a nice spot between the mass-retail offerings and high end model kits.

I'm happy to answer any questions ya'll might have, and I will have more info to share as this project develops.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
This is BITCHEN, finally a decent vehicle that’s 1/18 scale n not cheap and ridiculous looking, I’m all in whatever it costs !

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Thanks for sharing this Slaymaker!

The MARV is my project. Cobra Island/CIAD was just kind enough to share it. I haven't locked down a price point yet, but that should be worked out over the next few weeks. Keeping it affordable is a top priority, and I'm hoping to find a nice spot between the mass-retail offerings and high end model kits.

I'm happy to answer any questions ya'll might have, and I will have more info to share as this project develops.

Good to hear. You should take a vote amongst the various boards you visit on how detailed you go with the model. We all appreciate 21st Century’s detail, but I feel most of us preferred BBI’s approach where some sacrifices were made so you could actually pick up the model without snapping brittle plastic details off. BBI mostly hit that sweet spot of good enough. Hopefully you can round up enough interest to keep it closer to $100 than $200.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Good to hear. You should take a vote amongst the various boards you visit on how detailed you go with the model. We all appreciate 21st Century’s detail, but I feel most of us preferred BBI’s approach where some sacrifices were made so you could actually pick up the model without snapping brittle plastic details off. BBI mostly hit that sweet spot of good enough. Hopefully you can round up enough interest to keep it closer to $100 than $200.

I'm of the opinion that, by and large, 21st wasn't that far ahead of Bbi in the detail department, and were certainly behind them in the durability one. I digress, however. Definitely gonna want to keep it on *this* side of $100 if at all possible. I imagine the timing of the campaign will be crucial. Best of luck!

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for your thoughts and interest guys! It's much appreciated.

Well, I can say for sure I'm avoiding the brittle plastic of the 21st offerings. I had a few of the WWII vehicles growing up, and I remember small pieces breaking off with just extremely light play. The smaller pieces on the MARV (such as lights, antennae, and hooks) are made to be removable, so it will be a matter of popping them back in place instead of gluing broken bits.

As for detail, it's amazing how much can be delivered (at a minimal expense) in just the sculpt of the plastic. However there are some extra details I feel are highly valued among collectors, such as clear plastic used for the windows & lights and soft plastic "rubber" tires. The pricing is still very important and there are elements that I have sacrificed to keep the costs lower; the turret for example will just be a basic rotating machine-gun on the base MARV release, with a fully-armored turret being a candidate for a future upgrade kit. Potential paint applications are something I will reach out to the community for feedback on as the production plans are being finalized; would you prefer a simpler vehicle with the only colors being the different plastics (more like a Hasbro offering), basic paint detailing like a wash, or even a complex paint operation like camouflage?

I'm of the opinion that, by and large, 21st wasn't that far ahead of Bbi in the detail department, and were certainly behind them in the durability one. I digress, however. Definitely gonna want to keep it on *this* side of $100 if at all possible. I imagine the timing of the campaign will be crucial. Best of luck!

Under $100 is a goal, but I hate to advertise my planned price range and risk disappointing folks if it ends up higher. Just know that as a collector myself, I understand how important it is to get a fair price AND a well-made product.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think by designing things to be modular, you open yourself up to a lot of different options, and potential future revenue sources. If people can get a couple basic hulls in hand, they can decide to drop another $20-$30-$40 on an upgrade kit to refresh their vehicles every now and then.

Looks promising for sure, hope we see more soon!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
My vote goes for a simple base coat of paint so it does not look cheap like Hasbro, but gives those of us that like to weather or paint up our vehicles a solid starting point. No need to drive up the price while possibly alienating half your potential customers if the factory weather job ends up like the infamous Spotcat.

$100 is the right price point as long as the quality is there and yes, windows and rubber tires is a must.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys! Just wanted to share the first 3D looks at the Modular Armored Range Vehicle. The design is still unfinished, with some adjustments to be made and additional parts and detailing added.

Thanks again for your feedback and support!
48E47D36-38D4-41ED-8F08-5A9786DED25E.jpegF315A3C6-9B06-461D-B35E-0895C4AF25A2.jpegA6EAD9CC-9FC3-488D-9E04-0F55E1DFE40A.jpeg

Reactions: pcsguy88

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's not dissimilar to the Oshkosh M-ATV, but he should be fine. I like that the M2 has a flash cone.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Regarding the design, the MARV is inspired by several modern armored vehicles (M-ATV is one, but also the Hawkei and Cougar MRAP). We changed a fair bit and took many liberties to suit my needs and preferences.

On a practical level, the scaling was brought way down from real-world vehicles. Had I chosen to copy an M-ATV directly, it would be well over 16” long. The doors are another big example of a practical change; they had to be much larger (relative to the body) on the MARV so figures can fit thru.

I like to think the MARV is more along the lines of the Skystriker; it resembles a few real-world vehicles, but is not a direct copy of any.

It's not dissimilar to the Oshkosh M-ATV, but he should be fine. I like that the M2 has a flash cone.

Thanks! The reference for the flash cone/suppressor was found in a digital file for a WWII M2. I have no clue if those pieces are still in use, but I thought it provided a different look from the other M2s that have been produced.

Finally, here are a couple of close looks at the size and scaling for the MARV. The figure is a stand-in from another manufacturer; I am only producing a toy vehicle at this time.

fullsizeoutput_1e48.jpegFBDD158F-7B65-4CB1-BED3-F0C9BE1DEFB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Great. Now you have me dreaming of a 16" version. 😁

Giggity.

I wanted to keep my first offering modestly sized, with plenty of functionality. If people support this, I’m definitely open to larger vehicles in the future. Personally I love the style of the Cougar/Bushmaster MRAPs with a larger rear troop compartment, so a vehicle like that is already on my radar.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
It has been awhile since my last update here, but the Modular Armored Range Vehicle is still rolling along. CAD designs are nearly locked down (primarily a few adjustments for mounting points left to be completed), color renders are underway, and prototyping is right around the corner. Check out Wayward Goat Collectibles on Facebook for more MARV updates: https://www.facebook.com/WaywardGoatCollectibles/

MARV front iso hero.jpg

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Ew, Facebook!

Any idea on timeframes yet? Looking good.. glad you're making progress. Hoping it all goes smoothly for you and the price isn't too high for us!

Thanks for the kind words! The development has been a bit slower than I originally planned, but my initial goals were also over-ambitious. I was hoping to debut a prototype at Joecon, but that might not be available until July/early August. I'm still on track for a Fall launch on Kickstarter, and I'll be making sure I can give at least 1-1.5 months notice to the community once I get pricing and dates locked in place.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Here are the final 3D renders for the Modular Armored Range Vehicle! These haven't been published to social media yet, so consider this an "exclusive" preview. There are some cool turnaround videos posted to the Wayward Goat FB page, so be sure to check those out as well.

Changes in these images include additional mounting points on the rear, and an altered gun turret to accommodate the weapon mount and provide a full 360 degree range of motion. The roof of the vehicle will also have a mounting point, so the weapon can still be mounted if the turret is removed. fullsizeoutput_23ae.jpegfullsizeoutput_23ae.jpegfullsizeoutput_23b0.jpegfullsizeoutput_23af.jpegfullsizeoutput_23b1.jpeg

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Both versions look great but I'm liking the closed off model more.

And I'm feeling like Dan, but gosh dang it if that thing wouldn't look awesome with my Pickled-up Humvee.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Both versions look great but I'm liking the closed off model more.

And I'm feeling like Dan, but gosh dang it if that thing wouldn't look awesome with my Pickled-up Humvee.

The initial MARV release will offer both the "closed" and "open" back options. The included rear covering is a separate piece, so you'd be able to display the vehicle as you like it.

The images below show the rear cover removed, but please note that these renders do not have the revised gun turret or finalized mounting points.
fullsizeoutput_23ac.jpegfullsizeoutput_23ad.jpeg

Reactions: G.I.*EDDIE

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami
The initial MARV release will offer both the "closed" and "open" back options. The included rear covering is a separate piece, so you'd be able to display the vehicle as you like it.

The images below show the rear cover removed, but please note that these renders do not have the revised gun turret or finalized mounting points.
View attachment 10902View attachment 10903
the m2 looks a bit big

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
the m2 looks a bit big

Feedback noted. The gun is definitely an aspect that didn't stay scale-accurate and went more towards the toy end of the spectrum. I'll keep tabs on the sizing during the prototype process, especially once a figure is placed in the gunner position; revisions will be made if the larger size impacts interaction with the figure.

azslogan

Officer
Mar 14, 2013
I agree the MG is oversized and creates more of a toy vibe then the replica feeling the MARV otherwise imparts.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Any chance the antennas could be rear mounted so they are outside the gun's swing radius?