WTF was I smoking when I bought this?

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
I just bought a BBI Kiowa "Black Death" version for $117.00 shipped. I don't know about this one fellas, I don't feel too good about it.

I'm going to go puke now:(

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I won't tell you what mine cost, then. I dunno if it's worth 117 (maybe if it was a series 1 in the "lived in" CARC), but it's definitely the best modern rotary wing model in the scale.

I dunno why the hell they call it "Black Death". That's a real-life bird from the 7th Cav. Regt., and I've never seen any reference to it and any black death moniker.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
I won't tell you what mine cost, then. I dunno if it's worth 117 (maybe if it was a series 1 in the "lived in" CARC), but it's definitely the best modern rotary wing model in the scale.

I dunno why the hell they call it "Black Death". That's a real-life bird from the 7th Cav. Regt., and I've never seen any reference to it and any black death moniker.

You know what's funny? I actually googled the helo before I bought it and spotted a couple of your really old posts on the Kiowa. Let me just say part of the reason I feel kind of shitty is because of that, I really do hold your guy's opinion in high regard.

I just thought that the damn thing was never going to be produced again which is why I felt compelled to keep on bidding.... Aww shit, man why couldn't I have started collecting a lot earlier when this stuff was priced on the low-low

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You know what's funny? I actually googled the helo before I bought it and spotted a couple of your really old posts on the Kiowa. Let me just say part of the reason I feel kind of shitty is because of that, I really do hold your guy's opinion in high regard.

I just thought that the damn thing was never going to be produced again which is why I felt compelled to keep on bidding.... Aww shit, man why couldn't I have started collecting a lot earlier when this stuff was priced on the low-low

You never can tell with Bbi. So far they haven't redone any of their helos outside of the faux MH-60 variant.

You may fill a bit better once you get it in-hand. She's a pretty swell bird, and not that much of a space hog.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
If you like it, its worth it. Its your money and your enjoyment. Don't let others make that decision.

Yeah, but I do come here for advice on this stuff and noticed some old members asked about the Kiowa before but it seems nobody jumped off the deep end and spent that much on it (LOL), but thanks dude.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
You never can tell with Bbi. So far they haven't redone any of their helos outside of the faux MH-60 variant.

You may fill a bit better once you get it in-hand. She's a pretty swell bird, and not that much of a space hog.

Yeah I'm hoping too, it's just that the whole "channel news chopper" image is hard to shake. I actually read that in a old post and the image has been laser etched in my mind now. LOL

garrison99

Star Wars Freak
Founder
Jul 23, 2011
A Galaxy Far Far Away
I have never really paid attention to a price. If I want something I buy it at a price I feel comfortable with and that is that. I never buy things to make money later.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah I'm hoping too, it's just that the whole "channel news chopper" image is hard to shake. I actually read that in a old post and the image has been laser etched in my mind now. LOL

It's similar to the 407, so I guess it's a hard image to shake.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not really. The hardware mounts don't want to stay in with handling, but that may just be mine.

Only real issue I have is I've yet to make a custom crew for it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I wish the back doors opened, not sure $117 is a good price or not, I suppose it's not bad considering these days, but I remember getting them for a lot cheaper back in the 00's.

Again it's on your own enjoyment. It's a good chopper and I actually like it better than the Littlebirds.

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
I wish the back doors opened, not sure $117 is a good price or not, I suppose it's not bad considering these days, but I remember getting them for a lot cheaper back in the 00's.

Again it's on your own enjoyment. It's a good chopper and I actually like it better than the Littlebirds.

I keep hearing the actual size of the bird is huge is that true?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hahah, yeah he did!

She's about 21.25" long, with the same for blade tip-to-blade tip.

I guess an opening avionics bay would have been cool.

Last edited:

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado

G.I. Zmo

Enlisted
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, but I do come here for advice on this stuff and noticed some old members asked about the Kiowa before but it seems nobody jumped off the deep end and spent that much on it (LOL), but thanks dude.

I don't know if it helps, but mine was $91.00 plus shipping to Europe, although i think, it's not the Black Death version.
Of course, much cheaper would be much better, but i missed those times. :)

Darkwind01

Enlisted
Nov 19, 2012
Congrats lotus on finding one for a decent price!
And NSA. . . WOW you are brave!!!
I still can't get myself to remove the middle seats on my Black hawk for room to fit more figs. . .
But you gotta patch that bird up someday. . . LOL!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Not much since last time. I've dremeled off that red beacon light on the tail...and that intake thing...just left of NSA's thumb in his picture, I dremeled those out, backed the holes with styrene and I'm in the process of smoothing it out with bondo and sand paper.

I've also started lowering the rotor housing on top.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Man, about All I would have done was turned the avionics bay doors into passenger ones and perhaps removed the antennae.

You were fer serious about retrofitting that thing!