6x6 MRAP

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
I hope this answers you Q. If not be I'll make a couple of pics showing how it's done.

Thank you Digler. I put together a truck out of cardboard and garbage - and will post it up here))), but never thought about plastic before. But sure - I want to try it out =)

If you post some pics about how to do the angles - it'll be perfect.
I always preferred cardboard - it takes the right form without any strong manipulates...with plastic its a bit harder I guess.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Digler,
Love how you did the grille and hood louvres. Mind if I steal the idea? (Muhahaha)

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Thank you Digler. I put together a truck out of cardboard and garbage - and will post it up here))), but never thought about plastic before. But sure - I want to try it out =)

If you post some pics about how to do the angles - it'll be perfect.
I always preferred cardboard - it takes the right form without any strong manipulates...with plastic its a bit harder I guess.

CARDBOARD!!!!! oh my. Anything made from that here would melt away from the humidity. However it is cheap. Post a couple of pics I want to see that. High density foam is another good material because you can carve it and its resistant to almost ALMOST anything.

Anyway this one skill that I'm showing you will help with any material.

Ok so you see I have a piece of plastic set against what was a gap(before I filled it with the angle piece).

Mark the edge on one side where you want to cut....

both sides of course....

Take the piece and draw a line from point to point where you marked

Then cut and place.....

See, easy peasy.....

ps. I was trying to take pics and do the work at the same time and my cuts are bad. However it shows what to do.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
So you don't get all crazy with compound angles to make it fit? Just sand and fill the joints? :thumbsup:

I have been TOTALLY overthinking stuff... :eek: :headinsand:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
So you don't get all crazy with compound angles to make it fit? Just sand and fill the joints? :thumbsup:

I have been TOTALLY overthinking stuff... :eek: :headinsand:

No I don't go crazy with to many angled measurements because I don't know how to convert metric and scale together. I can follow blueprints very well, just not draw them in scale. Everything I do is visual, once I figure out how tall or wide something is against a reference,(a man or woman), I can estimate usually within a 90% margin. As my work speaks for itself.

You still have to measure everything but its an estimated guess. For instance the wheels and tires that I've casted look quite good, but they are too small if you really have a good comparison. It all transfers to the piece in the end. If the tires are to big or to small it will look silly. Any piece that doesn't come close to the scale you are trying to achieve will make the whole piece not look right. So really its in my mind in a 3d model that I'm lucky enough to transfer to the piece. An old boss that I apprenticed under for carpentry once told me," If you can't see the part you are making in a 3d picture in your head, then you shouldn't be in carpentry". I kinda knew what he meant, but I was only 19 at the time. It took me a few yrs to really understand what he meant. If you can't see the WHOLE project in your 3d mind, then how can you fit all the pieces properly? Mabey that's what it takes to be a great engineer...I don't know, I'm not an engineer, and I don't have any blueprint to follow when I make a piece. I just like makin shit look as real as I can make it.

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
Big thanks to you Digler! :thumbsup:
But if I can bother you a little bit more :eek:
I was wonder about this details:

Under armor...

I meant...that how did you assemble parts like the under armor...with 3 seperate part..where the side parts are under the angle to the middle one...is there any support you put there, or just simply glue it together?
The same question is about the Oshkosh's turret "roof".

=)

P.S.: As I promised - my "shoebox" truck))
http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?p=253363#post253363

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
:wave: Hello Fellow Fighters...here's another update.....wheels and axles ready to go. Floating suspension system ready to go....

As you can see there are guides for axles to slide up and down in. Also the spacers for the wheel to axle.

Suspension system demo.....

Stay tuned for more...:wave::salute:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just Like that aye? wtf Digler?

Amazing stuff. Wheel play even

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Alright, who wants digler to stop fucking around and do a M1070 HET?

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Good. Lord.

Even if I finished mine(on hold until I finish my recovery) it will pale in comparison.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
:wave: Hello Fellow Fighters....here's another update....handles, foot bars, steps, back doors, place for spare tires, head lights, marker lights, brake lights and mirrors....probably something else that I've forgotten.

Stay tuned for more....:wave::salute::salute:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
:wave: Hello Fellow Fighters....another update....PAINT.....just a little to light my way through the next gap filling. Added the exhaust system and a little tweaking here and there.

WOW

The side tool and cargo boxes on top of the back fenders are temporary as I haven't got the right hinges that I usually use. I just tacked a couple of covers for them for now.

Do you guy's like the color? or do you want the green back?

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
I like the solutions you made on the details. Definetly so much info that everyone can learn form you. Thx for sharing all this stuff with us!

About the colour: If you want to match it with the previous MRAP..than make it green.
But honestly, I think youo can leave it tan but you should definettly add some dark weathering...so even with different colours both customs will look good with each other in 1 dio.

P.S.: I know maybe not a serious question. But I'll ask it anyway: how do you cut styrenge/plastic? Especially tiny details out of it. Do you use some special instruments or just a simple exacto-knife..or scissor? Thx =)

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
I like the solutions you made on the details. Definetly so much info that everyone can learn form you. Thx for sharing all this stuff with us!

About the colour: If you want to match it with the previous MRAP..than make it green.
But honestly, I think youo can leave it tan but you should definettly add some dark weathering...so even with different colours both customs will look good with each other in 1 dio.

P.S.: I know maybe not a serious question. But I'll ask it anyway: how do you cut styrenge/plastic? Especially tiny details out of it. Do you use some special instruments or just a simple exacto-knife..or scissor? Thx =)

The Dremel tool is your best friend Hun, there are many cutting and grinding heads for many applications, but an exacto knife is good to.
I'm not close to the final paint yet, you'll like what I'm gonna do brother. Always make it a clean look first( of coarse with washing and drybrushing). Weathering isn't until the very end. Have a look at my other builds and you'll see what I'm saying. I always mud the fuck out of it and make it look like it's being put to good use.
If enough people want me to do a styrene cutting tutorial...I'll do one I guess, but Pickelhaub is the master not me.:salute:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
...sneaky sneaky...........

1/2 way to go. First the cab, then the back, then the roof top in three pieces, then finally the gun turret. Then things like ruck sacks, and packs, and weapon(s). Oh then more color, paint details,clear gloss, wash, drybrush a little, flat coat, and then weathering. So end of next week hopefully.

HUNMARINE

Enlisted
Feb 6, 2014
Hungary
Dang! With every photo its looks better and better! :thumbsup:

The Dremel tool is your best friend Hun, there are many cutting and grinding heads for many applications, but an exacto knife is good to.

So...I need to check for a new heads for my Dremel. Thx! =)

I'm not close to the final paint yet, you'll like what I'm gonna do brother.

I more than sure about it!

If enough people want me to do a styrene cutting tutorial...I'll do one I guess, but Pickelhaub is the master not me.:salute:

That would be awsome!..
Especially about tiny things like the hinge parts and so on.. :)