Marvel: Phase Two

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think it's got just enough of that summer in the 70's, space cowboy influence that I'll like. If it looked and felt like the Marvel cosmic stuff of the late 90's, it would definitely be a pass.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'll be seeing it mid next week early afternoon...hopefully there won't be too much of a crowd...if so, I'll leave and go back the following week...

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean

I'm assuming that the next set of films will involve the gathering of the Infinity gems.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Marvel Movie Rankings: Here’s How ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Compares

Marvel Movie Rankings: Here's How 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Compares - MTV

by kevin p. sullivan 7/31/2014

Critics have already declared their love for “Guardians of the Galaxy,â€￾ the latest film from Marvel Studios, but how does the space epic compare with its superhero predecessors?

Chris Pratt and the rest of the Guardians put up a very good fight, but the latest Marvel flick still falls short of the top slot.

Check out the complete ranking below.

10) What’s the worst way to follow up a surprisingly fun and fresh superhero movie with a likable hero? Make an overly serious sequel that doesn’t keep the spirit original alive. Marvel Studios’ first “2″ had the same drawbacks as sequels in other hero franchises, more of the same without anything to add to the conversation. Plus, “Iron Man 3″ covered a lot of the same ground with much more deft humor.

9) I have to give the second crack at a Hulk movie a bit of a break because Marvel Studios was still finding its footing in the Cinematic Universe, but all the Edward Norton-led movie really does is prove how good “Iron Manâ€￾ is. Too self-serious and without an ounce of humor to balance it out, “The Incredible Hulkâ€￾ is too obsessed with winking at the camera to find its own voice.

8) The first movie to feature the god of thunder was where Marvel found its stride. Director Kenneth Branaugh told a fun, Shakespeare-inspired tale of two brothers jockeying for their father’s approval. Peak Marvel was still a few movies off and Chris Hemsworth still wore that awful wig, but the leading man quickly proved to be a star in the making and the perfect fit for this delightfully strange tale.

7) “Thor: The Dark Worldâ€￾ works because it takes the characters that made original surprisingly good and brings them back, but everyone, especially Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston as Loki, knows the world better and looks more comfortable on screen. At the same time, the characters lose the benefit having arcs as clearly defined as they did in the first film.

6) The third movie to feature Tony Stark proved conclusively that a Marvel movie can take any shape, genre-wise. It can even be a Shane Black-style action-comedy. So who better to pull that off than Black himself? “Iron Man 3″ followed in the style of “The Avengers,â€￾ allowing a filmmaker to really leave his personal stamp on a big studio superhero movie, and it’s better because of it.

5) The story of Steve Rogers stands as one of the best examples of Marvel characterization and what makes the studio different from the “Dark Knightsâ€￾ and “Men of Steelâ€￾ of the world. Captain America’s appeal relies on his likability, not his tortured soul, a refreshing change of pace for the genre. It also helps that the movie itself had an old-school charm complements of “Rocketeerâ€￾ director Joe Johnston.

4) For its tenth film, Marvel Studios did not make a superhero movie. Instead, director James Gunn applied the patented formula to a full-on space opera, featuring some of the universe’s most memorable characters to date. More casual viewers get shortchanged when it comes to character backgrounds and motivations, but even taken on its own, “Guardians of the Galaxyâ€￾ can be hilarious, charming, emotional and absolutely thrilling.

3) The reasons for the first “Iron Man’sâ€￾ success are the same ones that still power the Marvel Cinematic Universe today. The studio put a great amount of faith in a talent filmmaker and its casting department. Before 2008, both Robert Downey Jr. and the character Iron Man were unlikely candidates for the fame that would soon find them, but six years later, it’s hard to imagine any other time.

2) Iron Man is the hero that makes Marvel Studios the most money, but Captain America is the one they understand the best. “The Winter Soldierâ€￾ sticks Marvel’s best character into the moral mess of modern government and makes it not only thrilling, but emotional. Plus, these are the best villains this side of Loki.

1) A director with one feature under his belt brought together characters in a way that had never been attempted before, and the risk paid off in exponentially. Joss Whedon’s “The Avengersâ€￾ gives each of those characters moments that feel true to them and what has come before, making our fondness for them — and in turn, the previous films — grow.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Guardians was awesome.

So far Marvel has produced 2 really well done movies of late. Sorry, still didn't care for the Avengers all that much.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm not. I think they need a way to write out Cap for a little bit since Evans wants out. The only thing that makes me skeptical is there would be no Osborn or Iron Spider. That and yet another Iron Man storyline where he's kind of the asshole.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

I don't think this list is real. I think it's somebody taking the factual info that is out and making educated guesses on what will happen next. looking at the hundreds of hints that Marvel has dropped, most of these conclusions are easy to figure out. The big fails in this article IMO is A3 and the Hulk movie. Here's my thoughts on each one:

1. A2. Duh.

2. Ant Man. Duh

3. Cap 3. We've known about this movie for months. Looking at Cap 2, it's pretty easy to figure out the main plot. Bucky is alive and Cap wants to find him. Add in that Hydra is still a real threat. Von Strucker has been confirmed for A2, a Hydra villain has been confirmed for Shield Season 2. This movie will most likely feature Von Strucker and Crossbones as the main villains and end their arcs in the MCU. Bucky will turngood and Cap might die.

4. Dr. Strange. This was announced at SDCC

5. Thor 3. This storyline was hinted at the end of Thor 2 and it's most likely where they will go next. I personally don't think it will be this date. Marvel and RDJ have dropped hints at IM4 and I personally think this key date will go to that instead. With Thor 3 coming later.

6. GOTG 2. This was announced at SDCC. This movie will continue the Infinity Stone arc IMO.

7. Black Panther. We know this has been rumored forever just like Strange. This is just pure guessing right now. I could see Thor 3 in this date instead.

8. A3. I can see the movie happening but I bet it's in 2019 instead of this date. Also, how the flying fuck are they going to do the civil war when they have been building up the Infinity Stone arc? I call bullshit on this one.

9. Hulk 2. Maybe a Hulk movie but I don't see it being a WWH movie. Like Giga said, you need to do Planet Hulk first.

10. Inhumans. I can see it, especially since Marvel couldn't get the FF franchise back like they wanted. I just don't see it as this date. I see A3 on this date.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I feel like Thor 3 should come before A3 though. Imagine Odin's weapons vault being raided or ransacked amidst all that craziness? I kind of want to see Asgard wiped out and Thor on his own. As cool as Asgard is, an entire fucking race of gods is not as interesting as a god on his own amidst humans and other beings, I don't think. And at some point they need to put the damned Loki story to bed.

Hasn't the "hell" planet been hinted at before as the otherworld against Thor in the third film? The one with Surtur?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I can see them extending out the Infinity arc so they can have other characters take the lead as RDJ and Evans will want to be out of their roles.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
And at some point they need to put the damned Loki story to bed...

Please gawd yes!...I dislike the character very much...even in the toons I dislike him...he's like Sheldon, no one would continually put up with his sh!t like they do...

As for "the list"...I don't know where I read it, but I recall reading that they want to do only one sequel between phases with the rest being new launches...or was it all sequels with one new launch?...

Ignore me...:lmao:

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Holy shit! GotG was a blast!

Seeing Thanos finally was awesome! It sucks we won't really see him again until Avengers 3, though. (Isn't that the next time he's slated to pop back up?)

I had a few questions:

The Nova Corps… Why do their uniforms look so damn familiar? I'm not too caught up on anything from GotG's lore except for Thanos, so not a lot looked very familiar except for the Howard the Duck cameo at the end.

Celestials… Again, not too familiar, but they're fucking gigantic, ancient beings? Are they tied to Galactus in any way?

Starlord's pops… I'll spend some time googling it, but is the MCU hinting at something from the comics, or some new thread of story exclusive to the films?

Nebula was fucking hot! Not sure why, but she just was. I'm guessing we'll see her again, playing a bigger role?

So, up until now, Odin's been pretty much the most powerful being in the MCU, right? Has anyone surpassed him? Barring that he's still alive and Loki didn't kill him, that'd put Loki and Thor up there (although if Loki could kill him, and Odin could take away Thor's powers, in theory doesn't Loki trump Thor in power? Or is that some rock/papers/scissors "balance of powers" shit going on?) with him, plus Ronan and Thanos? Ronan killing that uppity Chitauri commander was awesome. :thumbsup:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
The Nova Corps… Why do their uniforms look so damn familiar? I'm not too caught up on anything from GotG's lore except for Thanos, so not a lot looked very familiar except for the Howard the Duck cameo at the end.

Are you familiar with the character Nova? Their costumes are based loosely on his.

Celestials… Again, not too familiar, but they're fucking gigantic, ancient beings? Are they tied to Galactus in any way?

Not that I'm aware of. Roughly the same power level, though:
Celestial (comics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Knowhere, the severed head of a Celestial existed in the GotG comics, too - not sure when the concept was introduced in Prophet. The Guardians use it as a base of operations - Cosmo is the security chief there.

Starlord's pops… I'll spend some time googling it, but is the MCU hinting at something from the comics, or some new thread of story exclusive to the films?

Something from the comics.

So, up until now, Odin's been pretty much the most powerful being in the MCU, right? Has anyone surpassed him?

Odin's probably the most powerful that we've seen. Not sure what that means for Loki, though, and guys like Thanos are still complete ciphers in terms of power level.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Holy shit! GotG was a blast!

Seeing Thanos finally was awesome! It sucks we won't really see him again until Avengers 3, though. (Isn't that the next time he's slated to pop back up?)

I had a few questions:

Nebula was fucking hot! Not sure why, but she just was. I'm guessing we'll see her again, playing a bigger role?

So, up until now, Odin's been pretty much the most powerful being in the MCU, right? Has anyone surpassed him? Barring that he's still alive and Loki didn't kill him, that'd put Loki and Thor up there (although if Loki could kill him, and Odin could take away Thor's powers, in theory doesn't Loki trump Thor in power? Or is that some rock/papers/scissors "balance of powers" shit going on?) with him, plus Ronan and Thanos? Ronan killing that uppity Chitauri commander was awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanos will be appearing in GOTG 2 in 2017.

Nebula will probably be in it as well and Star Lords pops is going to be a plot point in that movie as well.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Went to see GotG again...still awesome...but I picked up something I missed before...a bit about Starlords dad...his mom says (before she dies), "he's an angel...comprised (I think that's the word she used) of light."...later, Yondu refers to him as a "jerk"...does this tell any resident Marvel nerds anything about who he might be?

Also, this is great! So many great points once he gets to the "nitpicking"

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHyk2ESFCI[/ame]

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Went to see GotG again...still awesome...but I picked up something I missed before...a bit about Starlords dad...his mom says (before she dies), "he's an angel...comprised (I think that's the word she used) of light."...later, Yondu refers to him as a "jerk"...does this tell any resident Marvel nerds anything about who he might be?

Unless they go a different route than in the comics, he's an established character:
J'son

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I think I read somewhere the Gunn isn't going to go with the comic version of his father. People still think Yondu is his father.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
That link doesn't work, at least on mobile. Says the page doesn't exist.

It rerouted me to Wolverine. Which, I have to ask, why (and how) the fuck does he have a big facial scar now?

Fixed the link.

No idea on Wolverine - may be related to his upcoming "death". Or maybe it was a Wolverine from a different timeline?

Last edited by a moderator: