Anybody still collecting SW on here?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s why I’ve wiped out my entire 1:18 collection of all IPs. Not having a single good stream of new products just killed it for me, then dipping my toe into Megablocks Call of Duty figs and vehicles was the final nail in the coffin. They are much more practical for that rare day every decade where I want to play war in my living room.

Thank goodness MP Transformers are churning out faster then ever before.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
You have a > 4ft sandbox? 😎
Kitty litter box? :D
I have designed weirder things for dioramas

Plus it might be L shaped since this will lead to the inevitable Sandcrawer. Which leads to tatoonie cities which leads to tuskins eventually I will be like one of those HO train collectors that just took over the house & lives at the "other" place Monday through Friday :eek::eek::oops:

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have designed weirder things for dioramas

Plus it might be L shaped since this will lead to the inevitable Sandcrawer. Which leads to tatoonie cities which leads to tuskins eventually I will be like one of those HO train collectors that just took over the house & lives at the "other" place Monday through Friday :eek::eek::oops:
I always wanted to build a tank track around the landscaping for my 1:16ths.

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
So yesterday I put in a bid for one of the 2004 Mos Eisley Cantina bay sections, the one with the Praying Mantis girl and the bartender. I was just going to make a bar scene for my toy theater, but I think that outright buying one would save me a lot of work and hassle. So I put in my bid for $25.00, because with the $10 shipping, that's about all it's worth in my opinion. Got the high bid, good to go, so I go to bed. Get up this morning to check on it, pretty sure at $25.00 I'm going to get outbid.

Sure enough, by two bucks. No problem, it's got about 15 minutes left on it. I'll go up to $30, no way in Hell it's worth more than that. 20 seconds left to go, the neckbeards blow it up to $60. I hate these kind of people so much. Okay, so they got it from me. I can live with that. But I can't help but wonder why in the Hell some of these people think this plastic made in China crap is worth that much ?. It's not even that great of a set. Three interlocking bar sections with some stools, and three crappy 5poa figures. I just don't get it. It truly baffles me.

I guess I really have good taste, because all of the few things I want to get are surely trying to sell for big money.
Aggravates the living Hell out of me. The only reason I want to get the 2010 At-At is because of the larger cockpit, and the interior of the vehicle. It would be easier to photograph for my stories, than just having a hollow body like the older ones. I just can't find one at a decent price that has most of the parts. I just can't see how having an At-At with the side doors missing, missing the chin guns and cockpit cover, is worth $300, plus shipping ?.

But I guess it's just me.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Wow, that's high! I bought the bar sections for my kids a few years ago, and I don't think I paid more than $10-15 each set. It is amazing how prices skyrocket the minute something gets scarce though. You buy some things thinking they will be reasonably rare, and then they re-release them to death or upgrade to a new version that makes the old one look like crap. Or you skip something thinking that they'll put it out in new packaging every other year for the next decade, and you never see it again at anything shy of 5x markup. Hasbro is a cruel mistress.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Things always blow up in the last 5 seconds, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. That same set you bid on, you'll probably find it in a month for next to nothing and no one else will even bid on it.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
This story makes me tempted to sell mine, But I worked hard to find it for a reasonable price. & it one of the few diorama parts I constantly use.

But as time goes on it clear Hasbro will never release this set again. Keep looking you should be able to find it at a reasonable price.

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
This story makes me tempted to sell mine, But I worked hard to find it for a reasonable price. & it one of the few diorama parts I constantly use.

But as time goes on it clear Hasbro will never release this set again. Keep looking you should be able to find it at a reasonable price.

And that's my point, and one of the things that is driving me crazy.
You are actually using yours. With most of these guys, they're going to pay good money for it, and it's just going to sit on a shelf collecting dust. Which I fully admit, that's their prerogative. For me it's like when I watch one of those picking shows, and there's some half dead old fart with a barn with a few vintage cars, and refuses to sell them, and would rather let them rust away doing no good to no one.
You are using it for it's intended purpose, and to me, that's a damned good thing !. :D

Almost all of my stuff is loose, I rarely keep anything in mint in the box. Why ?. What's the fun in that?. Do ya have a toy collection, or a museum just to be looked at ?. Take it out and mess with it. Snap some fun photos. Enjoy the damned thing !. But I know that's just me and my own personal opinion. To each their own. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm putting anyone down or looking down on anyone.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Saw the figures for the new cartoon today, if anyone is looking for them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, if you liked the look of the Rebels figures, I guess. There is a gold version of Phasma (Commander Pyre), minus the cape, Stronk Alien Wahmen #4201, vanilla First Order Stormtrooper, Named Red TIE Pilot and then a couple of boring hero-dudes.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Spotted this single figure a few days ago

Then these abortions yesterday

The scary things about these sightings are..the lone figure means some tard bought the rest from that case of garbage...these things are tiny AF,and $8!! they sat next to 3 pegs jammed full of fully articulated vintage figures nobody is buying,and everywhere I go it’s the same thing! WTF hasbro? make Gijoes,and they will sell! eventually even the diehard SW fans will get sick of these garbage toys.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
$8... for 5 PoA figures in an ugly cartoony style.... of characters I've literally never heard of before this moment. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

At some point I'm going to have to admit that I'm old and that these are not aimed at me or my demographic anymore. But damn, it feels like whoever these are aimed at... they're getting ripped off.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
At some point I'm going to have to admit that I'm old and that these are not aimed at me or my demographic anymore.

The funny part? I think that they are. Aimed at the old vintage fans that demand the figs be just like the originals. And of course Hasbro would comply with that cheap demand. They're like the fans of the TF community that demand cartoon accuracy to the detriment of the figures.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I'm surprised those figures....and most of the recent 5poa's, don't have some sort of rocket firing gimmick. Supposedly that's all the rage amongst kids, but as was said, maybe these are aimed at adult collectors? Must be because not many kids even play with toys anymore except that one that Contraband saw. And just how many SW related cartoons do they have going presently?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The funny part? I think that they are. Aimed at the old vintage fans that demand the figs be just like the originals. And of course Hasbro would comply with that cheap demand. They're like the fans of the TF community that demand cartoon accuracy to the detriment of the figures.
I question how many hardcore fans there are dedicated to 5 PoA just because that's how they were made in '77.

No Joe fans are clamoring for o-rings to make a comeback (you know, if they made joe figures at all), nor do I think TF fans are dying for G1 bricks with 2 PoA to return to shelves (overpriced WM nostalgia figs notwithstanding). The fully-articulated SW vintage collection figures sell like crazy when they aren't $15 and full of figures no one cares about. It took me the better part of a year to find the stupid Hoth Trooper.

I think Hasbro makes them cheap because margins, and some subset of adult collectors buy them simply because that's what's available. But I don't think Hasbro is doing that because there is high demand for 5 PoA figures. Why would a sane adult demand shittier construction? Those same fans certainly wouldn't complain if hasbro made them fully articulated for a reasonable price. But I have to think the intended audience is kids who watch this cartoon and don't know or care about articulation. They just want a Floopy-Doop figure (or whateverthefucktheirnamesare).

(I'm pretty sure that last sentence is the most old-man thing I've ever typed :laugh:).

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I too think many collectors buy them because they are the only thing available. The more articulated stuff is great, but I have to draw the line at $12 for a figure. Kids will take pretty much whatever but since it's the parents buying, I know which I gravitate more towards (not that my kids WANT action figures. :( )

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My kids like SW and enjoy the films, but they are pretty maxed out on SW toys and don't ever ask for them anymore. I haven't bought much from the franchise in years, except the occasional OT Black Series 6" figure. Supposedly there are a few 4" OT vintage card figures scheduled for this year, but at $15, they'll have to be pretty damn special.

With the kids no longer interested, my SW collecting days are pretty numbered. I've got tons of MOC/MIB stuff in storage that I'll have to dispose of. Who was it around here that was hunting an Imperial Shuttle?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hasbro and EA need to have their access to the license ended. Hasbro's is up after next year, though I suspect Disney will renew it.

EA should just cease to exist, period.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Considering Hasbro has the master AF license to most everything "Disney" now, it's hard to imagine them switching to anyone else, especially considering how miserable Mattel seems to be at selling action figures. And it's not like JP or Bandai could handle the volume of design work or manufacturing that would be required. Hasbro is kinda the only game in town.

The sheer lack of viable alternatives practically guarantees that Hasbro retains the license. Given the reduced number of toy outlets anymore, it makes me think Big-H should be able to push back a little. A smaller market, less realistic competition, Hasbro probably has more leverage on Disney than they've had in a couple of decades. And if they use that leverage, it could mean that they can get the fees down and have more margin to make the figures better and/or cheaper. But that's probably just wishful thinking that they'd have the stones, or that it would trickle down to help the consumer in any meaningful way.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
They look like every other toy to every other nameless kids movie or show nowadays. completely generic.

I looked these up online,and there’s a black Rastafarian lookin dude with a droid.(probably purchased for said droid),and a gold stormtrooper(shiny) missing from the assortments I’ve stumbled across so far. The rebellion/resistance should easily win these battles imo. Kill the guys in the fanciest suits,war over.

Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Spotted the gold guy from the cartoon line,and a bunch of repacked 6” figures

Now they can keep those vintage line figures company on the pegs!! lol!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Walmart in Semmes Alabama.

all the Wal-Marts&Targets in the entire gulf coast from Florida,on through Alabama,into Mississippi are jam packed with Vintage Figures. I expected as much tho,because they’ all repacks. It’s like an intentional self sabotage by hasbro.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Is that how they are packaging the 6" black series figures, on blister cards? And are they going to do all the bounty hunters?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Hasbro is getting that scalper money,and devaluing collections with one foul swoop!

They’re literally looking at what’s in demand and re-releasing those figures in a “archive collection”. Also updating paint apps...x-wing Luke is also in this wave,BUT has the new photo realistic face paint apps. They’v been doing it with Marvel Legends for some time...if one figure starts getting scalped they release cases of just it...and con exclusives are getting retail releases..

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Meanwhile at Wal-Mart,....more 5poa StarWars repacks!!! they didn’t sell at $8! so,let’s take the chip out,cheapen the packaging up,and sell them for $10!..we’ll eben throw in a mision series Han that was $8,and came with another figure!!

It feels Hasbro is intentionally killing 3.75” SW now! It can’t just be stupidity at this stage.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I wonder how much of the insane prices lately by Hasbro is due to their huge losses from the TRU fold. This seems like it's even more than the usual greediness.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I can’t believe they think these will actually sell!

I’m no StarWars expert,but I’m pretty sure all those figures with the exception of Han are straight repacks of the ForceLink figures,Force Link Vader that was released with the Hoth probe/droid,then single carded 2.0,and both where just a retool of rogue one Vader? Luke was in the Target 3-pack,then single carded,..that’s for sure force link R2 which was a droids factory retool..that’s the same stormtrooper from the Target pack,which is a clean dirty storm trooper without the cape. ...I have that Han,and he was a mission series figure,came with Chewy. Idk what chewy that is tho I’m sure it’s a repack as well.

I’m pretty sure that no kids want those,and the packages are so cheap,and the art is so poor that 90% of collectors won’t buy those,not even on clearance...unless it’s like 25¢,and they want the tubes..

Those are future stocking stuffers bought at Ross by grandma&Grandpa that’ll join the shredded gift wrap in the trash after they leave.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Wow... Those cartoon figures are horseshit. The kind of stuff I expect to find in a plastic bag that comes with a kids meal. I don't really get SW figures anymore. My collection is big enough. Though there have been some decent Rogue One figs and vehicles, like the tank and one or two versions of Jyn, Cassian, and some of the troopers. Funny... The one SW movie from Disney that really impressed me has the one set of toys I even consider looking at.