Anybody still collecting SW on here?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I saw that today. Both Red 5 and that stubby Poe one are $100 goddamn dollars in the store and do not come with a pilot. They’ve finally lost their damn minds.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That's the new sticker-price. I bought my "vintage" collection x-wing at TRU several years ago, and the MSRP was $60 in 2013. The fact that they gave it a different vintage box and now charge $100 is pretty terrible.

I kinda want one, but no way I'm paying that. I'll wait for it to get much cheaper or do without.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
For $100 there better be a vibrator in the nose to keep the wife happy. I bought this version way back when they were Target exclusives and ended up taking it back because $40 felt like too much back then.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't think so. It's just that Hasbro doesn't do vinyl plushies. Mattel has had other SW items like weird hot wheels and such, as if Chewbacca would drive a streetrod and Darth Vader's gonna cruise in a custom pedo van. It's just more of Mattel being Mattel. AFAIK, Hasbro still has the master action figure license and that's not changing any time soon.

Mattel is down to wrasslin' toys in the action figure space after losing the DC license to McFarlane.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Yes. There is a Mando line. Many more 3.75" planned. Rumors of a 3.75" razorcrest are abound. I've been collecting a ton of the clone wars era stuff (realistic style, but based on the animated series- which surprisingly- was actually good. And done by some of the minds behind The Mandalorian).

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
What is supposed to be in the Mandalorian line? And from where is that Shadow Trooper from cannon-wise? I seem to recall it being in a comic? I know there were black-clad troopers in Rogue One and an episode of Madalorian, but weren't their helmets different?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I collect OT "vintage card" figures, but that shadow trooper and the Dr Aphra... i.e. characters that didn't appear in the films and are shoehorned in via other media, I just feel like they're cheating. If they weren't in the original movies, I'm not buying their "vintage" figure.

Still, it's nice that they're coming out with anything new. The SW sections around me lately have nothing but those gold two-packs. Who were those aimed at anyway?

Reactions: Mistermarks101

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The Shadow Trooper was from SW: Battlefront I think, and probably in a couple other things as well.

At this point, the OT doesn't mean much to me, it's all been watered down and expanded upon. *anything* taking place in the Empire timeline is just as valid/IS the OT for me.

So basically anything from SOLO to Mandalorian is the golden age of SW for me, personally.

Also, black Stormtroopers just look cool. I like the Death Troopers too.

The Mando line seems like it'll have Cara Dune, Mando, baby Yoda, a Remnant Storm Trooper (dirty trooper), and more I'd guess.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Oh, I know the black troopers have been around a while, and they are cool looking, no doubt. I own that comic pack... somewhere. But I would never display a non-movie character with my OT figures on vintage cards. That feels like sacrilege, as the cardbacks have movie stills on them. So I have no issue with attitional fiction taking place in the OT timeframe. I've read and enjoyed a lot of it. But a faked movie-still cardback just irks my collector OCD for some reason.

Reactions: Mistermarks101

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hasbro is keeping SW and Marvel. Yay for mediocre figures for years to come!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
You say that, but who is making domestic figures better? Jazwares? WTF Mattel? McFarlane? Super7? Jakks?

Just curious, what are you specifically wanting from figures from hasbro that you aren't getting? The most common complaints I hear are price and accessories, but I haven't seen anyone else demonstrate they could do better. Hasbro has perfected articulation, sculpts, and digital face-printing that was only available on big-$$$ imports a short time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hasbro apologist. They aren't perfect, but I have far less faith in any of the other players. But I admit I'm also biased in that I have no desire to start over with another aesthetic or slightly different scale we'd no doubt get from another company. However, I am curious who you think would be a significant improvement.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I want them to move towards import articulations schemes, material quality and paint finish. What can I say, I've become spoiled.

Accessories wise, my only complaint would be extra heads and hands where appropriate.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Would you still buy them if they made those changes and approached import pricing? Comparing figures that have to compete in retail isles to pricey imports is completely apples and oranges. It's not like disney was going to award the license for walmart figures to Mezco. It's like being disappointed your Impala doesn't have Lamborghini performance.

On some level, I get it. I have nothing but disdain for hasbro's $6-7 5poa figures. Their mere existence irritates me. But quite honestly, I don't see that difference between legends and the imports. I own a single figure from each of Yamaguchi, Mezco, and One:12 because I wanted to see what all the love was about. Their accessories and paint are spectacular. As toys, they're terrible. Nothing but fiddly, fragile, and not very fun. The accessories/hands don't stay on, and the sculpts are mediocre. The One:12 figure looks like nothing more than a grimdark Mego. To say I've been unimpressed by the imports is an understatement. I'll gladly take $20 hasbro figures and supplement with 3P accessories. But clearly YMMV.

Mistermarks101

The Unwashed
Dec 20, 2016
I'm going to get only the star wars figures I want. I have preordered the mandalorian and I already have a 3p Cape. This is going to be tough year and so if I want figures it's going to have to be in $20 area. Imports are not in my budget unfortunately

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I call bullshit. I can't count the number of times I've heard children clamoring for an action figure of fat-Leia or the stumpy asian girl. Nothing says fun to a 10-year-old boy like an action figure that looks like their grandma dressed for a funeral. Do you not remember how huge the Driving Miss Daisy toyline was back in the day?! I still have all my old DMD figures. Playing in the bedroom floor, all those epic trips to the Piggly Wiggly. Good times.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
5 POA figures should not even exist by this time. But yeah, such a mystery why nobody loves SW any more... :rolleyes:

On another note, I will immediately buy a beskar clad Mando if I see one for a reasonable price.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I call bullshit. I can't count the number of times I've heard children clamoring for an action figure of fat-Leia or the stumpy asian girl. Nothing says fun to a 10-year-old boy like an action figure that looks like their grandma dressed for a funeral. Do you not remember how huge the Driving Miss Daisy toyline was back in the day?! I still have all my old DMD figures. Playing in the bedroom floor, all those epic trips to the Piggly Wiggly. Good times.

I legitimately snorted.

Well played.

Reactions: nacho

Sgt301

Oct 20, 2018
Star Wars, good for the head sculpts! I’ve decapitated several for my LBC’s with Joe figures over the years. My favorites are young obi wan and the starkiller heads.

YautjaClanLeader

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Ah that makes sense, they look nice!

They were characters from the animated Clone Wars series. If you haven't, check the show out. It's star wars at It's very best. The first season is kind of slow, but after that it picks up pace and becomes really good. This deals with a lot of morally ethical questions such as slave soldiers, the chaos of war, ethnic cleansing, etc. There are a lot of adult themes. It humanized the clone troopers and showed they had complex and individual personalities.

Later seasons look gorgeous...

Last edited: