Boss Fight Studios

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I wish I was more interested in their stuff, but most of it is designs I don't care about or ones that aren't worth to me at the price.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Frankly I would have been more impressed if they had ripped off the Adventure People androids. It would have worked given how great the male and female bucks are.

But no, we get Mobile Suit Gundam.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
The more I see, the less enthusiastic I become.

IMO they should have just made a permanent team-up with Marauder and used those blank bodies as the bases for some amazingly sculpted detail, along with those modular bits and pieces for armor, weapons, etc.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Greek stuff is cool with me... not a huge fan of it, but I will definitely be buying some of it. With that in mind, I'm still looking forward to seeing what else they come up with - in regards to similar themes. While mythology is being used with the Greeks, it's still grounded in reality. Here's an idea - keep that mentality! How about a line based on Arthurian legends? Now that would having me selling crack for extra money. :D

This Mobile Suit/Megaman looking thing will surely entice most HT's, but it's not going in any direction I'd like to see. Then again... I'm not :eddieism:

:lmao:

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They're eating it up. If that's what they want there are LOTS of 1:144 MSG figures made by Bandai.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I guess my lack of enthusiasm is based on:

"We're BFS! We love GI Joe and Star Wars and the 1:18th/3 3/4" scale! So we're going to make..."

"Greeks. And Gorgons."

...THAT'S where we go with this void? Greeks and Gorgons.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA

"We're BFS! We love GI Joe and Star Wars and the 1:18th/3 3/4" scale! So we're going to make..."

"Greeks. And Gorgons."

Have you read my sig? I mean, seriously... golden fucking opportunity staring someone in the face.

But nooooooo... :crying:

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I can see why they didn't do CoD figures for the licensing issues, and maybe why they avoided modern military altogether, but I've no idea why they're going this Greek route instead. Maybe someone at BFS is a big fan.

Maybe the fantasy and sci-fi assortments will make more sense.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I find Greek mythology interesting, but they aren't gonna scratch the surface of what the subject has to offer. Think NECA, in that respect. Fantasy could yet prove interesting, but Sci-fi is a lost cause if they're just aping Gundam.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
He looks like something out of a Marvel comic from back in the 80s. Also has a bit of a MotU vibe to him.

It's just the robot. the others will follow this concept art from their website:

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Man, it's just so.......derivative?

At least they'll go with 4H's Outer Space Men.

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
Andrew of Boss Fight Studio did an impromptu Q&A on Reddit.com
Hi, I'm Andrew from Boss Fight Studio. I'm a professional toy designer, AMA. : ActionFigures

Some very insightful Q&A!
some of my favorites...
Andrew BFS said:
It was accepted common wisdom that kids didn't care about articulation while I was at Hasbro, and I flat-out disagreed with that.
and according to the latest numbers the kids do care.
Andrew BFS said:
On the practical side, it can be very difficult to get different factories in China to conform to the same set of standards. Hell, we couldn't get the neckball size standardized on Star Wars, and we tried.
it's nice to know Hasbro was listening & did try

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The more I see, the less enthusiastic I become.

IMO they should have just made a permanent team-up with Marauder and used those blank bodies as the bases for some amazingly sculpted detail, along with those modular bits and pieces for armor, weapons, etc.

I see your point and based on the responses here I think most people agree with you. Maybe they didn't want to share the profits with Marauder and don't have long term plans them?

"Greeks. And Gorgons."

I'm thinking they didn't want to hurt their relationship with hasbro and the club by "competing" with them.

I can see why they didn't do CoD figures for the licensing issues, and maybe why they avoided modern military altogether, but I've no idea why they're going this Greek route instead. Maybe someone at BFS is a big fan.

Maybe the fantasy and sci-fi assortments will make more sense.

I think you're right that at least one person at BFS must be a huge Greek Mythology fan and that's why it's being pushed first. Also, I'm sure the CoD licensing will cost mega bucks. BFS probably can't afford that right now.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, we're getting kinda-sorta pre-curse Medusa, and wave 2 is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point, so we're gonna get that female buck in some shape and form.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Would be great to add in these figures to hero quest at the next custom con.

But I agree with the general consensus - not to crazy about the Greek mythos.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Would be great to add in these figures to hero quest at the next custom con.

But I agree with the general consensus - not to crazy about the Greek mythos.

Both would work for the Heroes-Quest game really, since it's not a specific time.

We'll see how it goes, come time for the Con, but the plan is for a Modern Warfare game!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
My guess as to why they are not doing a military version 1st
1. It might be part of a direct non-compete with Hasbro or at least to help keep future Hasbro business.
2. That gorgon mold looks like it could have been designed for a certain unpopular leader of Cobra LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA! LA!
3. All the other kickstarters are military based which seems like it would hurt sales (for everyone) if everyone was suddenly a direct competitor.

It makes sense to offer something that you can't get elsewhere.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
They've said that the snake tail doesn't work with the male torsos, though. Yet, anyway.

Boss Fight Studio in comments section of the Kickstarter said:
@ Scott Hiers, the hope is that we can have *most* of the peg diameters be the same, however, some parts may not be swappable between male and female figures. For instance, currently the snake tail can not be placed on the male body. Something we hope to rectify down the road.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I wonder how much interest is in the non-flesh colored blank figures. (red blue purple, etc)

They could work for Star Wars alen customs, & the transparent could be DR Manhatian, but I'm not sure what other uses they might have?

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I wonder how much interest is in the non-flesh colored blank figures. (red blue purple, etc)

They could work for Star Wars alen customs, & the transparent could be DR Manhatian, but I'm not sure what other uses they might have?

Base colors for Super Heroes, perhaps?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup. That female in black, with a little white paint and the MU head would make for an aesthetically superior Aurora.

They really should do the female in transparent blue, though.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
I'm thinking of doing the $115 Kickstarter deal. I like all 4 of the regular figs. I may order some of the others like the underworld warrior or something.

hard to believe companies like Hasbro can't make decent figures like this compared to these small "basement" style businesses.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
There's a few of the stretch goal figures I might be interested in, but the price is still a bit off-putting, and the only way to get them is to buy the set of regular figures, which I don't really want.