Casting Sites: Links, Info + Alerts

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
SDS switched and included all of the old items as well. The more you offer, the more unrecognizable molds you have lying in your way. At the same time, while we love low prices, it creates too much order volume. A caster should really sit down and figure out what he can do in 40hours, what he should be compensated for in those 40hrs, how much is his material cost is in that 40hrs, and use all of this to figure out how much each cast should cost. If you're realistic about what you can manage in 40hrs without working yourself to death, adjusted for potential errors/hazards along the way, you'll find the product is more expensive but more manageable. You'll have less orders but more coming in to build your business.

Everyone that starts out, always goes with "too nice" on prices and selection. They think they can work John Henry hours but they can't keep it up.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Not just what you can make in 40 hrs. You also have to look into packing up orders, and shipping. I think that's one of the main problems people have. They made the stuff, wheeew, it's over, but NOPE.. now you have to pack up and ship 300 order, lol.

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
I think what everyone needs to do is just make the stuff, count it, and then make sure you're only selling stuff you've already made. Whatever sells out the fastest is obviously top priority for putting back in stock. But an open inventory system isn't the way to go, because we'll order 50 small boot knives, and then... you've got to go cast 50 small boot knives.

By the way, isn't Angelforge and Slayer Dave the same person, or is that just a rumor?

-CC

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
No way. AF bought a ton of SDS molds, but I think that's where it ends. Honestly, AF is run faaaaaaaaaar too smoothly to be the same person :)

Besides, Dave is apparently still recovering from serious medical issues, so it seems unlikely that he'd suddenly have the energy to run a business far more efficiently than before. I suppose it would make for an interesting conspiracy theory, but that's about all it is.

Mswi

Teabagging Ninja
Feb 16, 2012
When it was apparent that Dave needed to focus on his health and that he wouldn't be able to continue with SDS, Angelforge bought the rights and the molds from Dave. Definitely not the same person

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
No way. AF bought a ton of SDS molds, but I think that's where it ends. Honestly, AF is run faaaaaaaaaar too smoothly to be the same person :)

Besides, Dave is apparently still recovering from serious medical issues, so it seems unlikely that he'd suddenly have the energy to run a business far more efficiently than before. I suppose it would make for an interesting conspiracy theory, but that's about all it is.

AF is/was Darkwynter. DW used to help Dave out. I met both when visiting Dave for lunch and a lesson a long time ago. DW is a stand up guy, very nice, him and Dave both sat down with me individually and showed me how to cast. DW even showed me how to mix the chemicals and add the dye, how to massage into the mold to reduce air bubbles. He showed me his spider figure still in the prototype stage. It was really cool. They are not the same person at all, DW just bought/leased the molds when Dave's health went back down.

The Right of Might

Bustin Ours', Savin' Your
Aug 30, 2011
AF is/was Darkwynter. DW used to help Dave out. I met both when visiting Dave for lunch and a lesson a long time ago. DW is a stand up guy, very nice, him and Dave both sat down with me individually and showed me how to cast. DW even showed me how to mix the chemicals and add the dye, how to massage into the mold to reduce air bubbles. He showed me his spider figure still in the prototype stage. It was really cool. They are not the same person at all, DW just bought/leased the molds when Dave's health went back down.

I can also testify that DW is a real person. He has taken time from his casting to speak to me via telephone on several occasions. He unexpectedly sent me a Defiant Crawler for free! Much to the surprise and dismay of my wife who wanted to know who the hell sent me a refrigerator sized box one day from the great state of Maryland..

Captain Charisma

The Cult Of Personality
Aug 8, 2012
California
Good to know. I wasn't trying to start a conspiracy theory, I just didn't know the backstory, and I'm pretty sure someone once told me that Slayer had just started a new site, hence the same molds. Thanks for clearing that up!

-CC

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well, I heard that AngelForge was actually Darkwynter, who is secretly SlayerDave, who used to own GoodToGoCustoms with Alyosha, who moonlights as Raginspoon, who sometimes impersonates Tofujesse at Cons.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
The weekly business model is how I work to an extent. I copy all of my paypal emails to a document on my pc through out the week, and then I go down the list on Saturday to sort the items out by color in another docket. Then I go through the parts that I have on hand to see what I actually have to make, and start casting. The reason I don't make a ton of parts all at once is because I like giving you guys the option to request different colors, and if I made a bunch all at once in 1 color then there is the possibility that I wouldn't have the material to make the custom orders. Plus I never know which color of trench coat I'm going to get orders for. One week it'll be 4, or 5 white coats for people to make Fantomex, and then the next it'll be 10 brown ones, and then the next maybe it'll be a couple of each. Now IF there isn't a color chosen then you get whatever color I have on hand (ie. the blue guns I gave W.O. Leroy as a freebie for his huge order)

My biggest slow down in the house I'm in right now is that I have my chemicals in the top of the hall way closet, and then I take them through the bath room into the laundry room to dish them out, and then I take the dished out chemicals out to my desk in the living room. However once I move I'll be able to have everything in one room. The move is why I'm shut down until May. I'll be selling some of my extras that I have on hand in a few weeks, I'll either list them on the sites, or I'll list them on ebay under my rodimus_vts user ID.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Cool, have to watch for that sale.

Thanks, Foggy it'll probably be mostly heads, and maybe a couple of odd color coats, guns, and things.

Not to go too far off topic, but is that cat ok? It looks like could have been one heck of a fall.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
With the way Shapeways keeps sending the wrong parts you would think they would change their name Slayerways ( I kid, much love). But this does go to show that a large company, with trained customer reps that respond to every message you send are capable of making a lot of mistakes and require patience.

First, the screwed up Santinis. Then they said they're replacing them, only to reprint my Chuckles/Ethan Hunt combo. Then they sent me a Buzzer instead of my ninja, now there's an order on my account that's shipping that not only did I not order these items, but I didn't pay for them either. So I'm going to end with a Mindbender and two extra sets of boot knives and stun knives.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well, the price is crazy. If a caster tried to sell me some heads at $12-15 each, I'd invent some new words to call him. But I know the 3D printing isn't cheap, GB's head sculpts are awesome, and they usually arrive within 10 days or so (unheard of for *most* casters). I know GB has had a few quality issues, but once I switched to FUD at his suggestion, I've had nothing but great results.

Typically, I get excited about the awesome stuff on shapeways until I start the checkout process. Then I feel sad. Then I look away in shame as I click submit. Then I feel guilty.... and then 10 days later, I'm soooo very happy. I can't really encourage anyone to pay crazy prices for a tiny piece of plastic, but GB does really nice work if he's made anything you just gotta have (Bo and Luke?!).

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm happy to hear that. I also like hearing what the shopping experience is like because I assume its different when it's something you've created as opposed to buying someone else's design.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Sometimes it's hard to justify, no matter who designed it. You have to really want a specific head to pay that kind of money for it. In other threads around here, we lament paying $10 for a new figure at retail, but somehow I can pay $75 for five unpainted heads... it makes no damn sense. That's why I have to click quickly, before I have a chance to talk myself out of it!

But where the heck else am I going to find a 1:18th headcrab?! :)

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I may have to gamble on some head

Is it Tuesday already?!

I almost made a purchase today. Mostly the buckle set and the MP7 (or is it 9?) leg holster, thinking I could mod it for a standard sidearm.

I'm still not 100% convinced I don't want to make that order...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I've been eyeing them sets too dd...I have the mp9 set in my cart...waiting to add more to my order as it makes shipping seem less outrageous

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I wasn't too put off by the shipping. I think my total was around $25 or so. Mostly I didn't do it because I never did anything with the last order I placed.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
For that...yeah...good idea. I may have another beer and go place that order. I do the best shopping when drunk.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Lol. I have two complete spare mp9s put together with holsters if you guys want them. Otherwise, if I were you guys, I'd wait to see MJ's previews for his. The scan was pretty damn close to mine.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I'd be interested for sure. The holster is what I'm mostly interested in...like I said, I want to see if I can mod it in any way.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind playing around with one until I actually place an order if ya wanna send one over ...I could PP ya some $$$ for it, shipping and yer trouble...

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
So maybe it'll show up at The Angelforge at some point? Thanks for confirming its existence- I was starting to think that I had imagined it.

The Angelforge, to my understanding, is phasing out Slayer sculpts for their own, so you may not see that head there either.