CH-46 Sea Knight

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Hello fellow fighters...here's another update. Added armor and the roof, the rotors will be done by next weekend.....

Getting ready for primer...stay tuned for more.:wave:

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Of all the projects that are ongoing by members of this site, this has become the one that I am always most looking forward to seeing updates on, and as usual, you don't disappoint!

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Just finished the latest primer coat....about 2/3 way thru the build. The canopy will have a latch on it eventually. The rear and side doors are very tight and wont need latches.

So as you can see I'm getting closer...things that need doing...more detail on the landing gear yet, just waiting for final paint.

1. Rotors- I've found a cheap and better rotor in the form of aluminum, and in bulk so I can afford them.

2. the FLIR system

3. radar dome in front

4. wire cutters on the front

5.plastic for the windows

6....reserved for whatever I forgot or want to add on

7. PAINT Question? What color should it be...there are a few between gray and green...but which one?

Stay tuned for more...:wave:

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
That's looking so sexy!...love the armor plates...are there any placed elsewhere on the real thing?...

You still planning on adding back in the filled in panel lines?

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
That's looking so sexy!...love the armor plates...are there any placed elsewhere on the real thing?...

You still planning on adding back in the filled in panel lines?

Hey G.I. EDDIE, I've seen armor plates up by the engine, but I thought that with that huge exaust on the engine with armor plate would be too much. What do you think?
Adding panel lines back in hasn't worked out that well. I've looked this up many times and have not come up with a solution yet. The problem seems to stend with the materials that I've used to fill spots. As a sculptor uses clay, the materials I used were bondo, green putty, and glaze. That comes from the extensive body work I've done to my cars and trucks over the years. The final product being glaze(the red stuff in a lot of the pics) on top. It....flakes and crumbles when I use an indent tool, that's what happened on the left side of the aircraft with 3 windows.
I've made many mistakes with this build, the putty and glaze eats plastic if you put on too thick. That's just one, but its a big one since the fucking model is PLASTIC. Anyway, dude I can rant man.... Panel lines,...mmm... mabey Pickelhaube could chime in here and give some wise words to the Padawan.

I'll try EDDIE. :wave:

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
I got to say this is one fantastic project you have taken on. I saw the first few pics over at Hisstank and came over here to see the project from the begining to where you are now. Completely amazing! You have so much attention to details going on here that it's not a toy anymore but a scale model.

Speaking of scale, I used to have the True Heroes chopper before and that was thicker than what I would think the Sea Knight would be as it could house a jeep in it. This Sea Knight looks more like a true 1:18th scale vehicle vs Hasbro Joe scale. If you plan on displaying on the USS Flagg, it might be too big. For those who want a Sea Knight that is GI Joe scale and look good on the deck of the USS Flagg, check out the Tonka Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter:

Zoomie2001 over at Hisstank posted this in his thread/blog for his custom Flagg project. His picture inspired me to track one down off of e-bay, and I love this thing. It's not 100% accurate to the real deal, but for a toy, its close enough. It seats one, has cargo access on the side and in the back. The rotors are powered along with lights and sounds. But for a basic frame, it's a good starting point.

Here are a couple of pics of the one I got on my USS Flagg deck:

I will be following your progress for insperational ideas to make my Sea Knight as detailed as yours is (or as close as I can).

Good luck and keep pressing on with this.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got to say this is one fantastic project you have taken on. I saw the first few pics over at Hisstank and came over here to see the project from the begining to where you are now. Completely amazing! You have so much attention to details going on here that it's not a toy anymore but a scale model.

Speaking of scale, I used to have the True Heroes chopper before and that was thicker than what I would think the Sea Knight would be as it could house a jeep in it. This Sea Knight looks more like a true 1:18th scale vehicle vs Hasbro Joe scale. If you plan on displaying on the USS Flagg, it might be too big. For those who want a Sea Knight that is GI Joe scale and look good on the deck of the USS Flagg, check out the Tonka Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter:

Zoomie2001 over at Hisstank posted this in his thread/blog for his custom Flagg project. His picture inspired me to track one down off of e-bay, and I love this thing. It's not 100% accurate to the real deal, but for a toy, its close enough. It seats one, has cargo access on the side and in the back. The rotors are powered along with lights and sounds. But for a basic frame, it's a good starting point.

I will be following your progress for insperational ideas to make my Sea Knight as detailed as yours is (or as close as I can).

I've got an unrelated rotary wing project in the works, but I want to thank you for posting this. I really like the looks of the rotors on this thing.

Too bad it would be wasteful in the extreme to buy one just for one set of rotor blades.

Last edited:

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com

Very honored to be your first post man. Thank you for looking and joining . I like those Tonka Choppers, we don't see them in Canada, at least I haven't anyway. I see you have 2...well you could make one and it would be easier than mine, the sponsons are there while I had to make them which wasn't easy.
I will post a couple of pics on the Hisstank website when I'm closer to finishing. I will post all dev shots here, the 1:18th are very supportive here and I will continue to support them with more customs. Even tho they were skeptical at first.(hehe).
I love this shit so there will be more and better projects in the future.

I want to start a Chinook project either from scratch or from parts of other things. (like usual). Probably more scratch. These will be made modular so they will be affordable if castable. The basic holo body is first, then if you want to add on things like a cockpit or seats in the back or a detailed cargohold or armaments. All these can be addons and charged accordingly.
I can make them piece by piece so it can go to a castor easily and affordably. I think. If enough intrest is in this mabey a kickstarter program to start it off. The person whom donates the most, I will give them the CH-46.
Tofujesse hasn't gotten ahold of me so I'm not sure what's up with his decision on the CH-46. If I would have know before I started it I would have made it modular and would have been easily casted. What do you guys think?
I

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
^^^

Not the response I was expecting after scrolling throw his entire post again

:thumbsup:

I merely think the rotor system is applicable to my project. Taken as a whole it's still a sad little Joescale piece.

Even then, though, it's better than what passes as a helo from Hasbro these days. ;)

Jedi_Master_Ben

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2012
Very honored to be your first post man. Thank you for looking and joining . I like those Tonka Choppers, we don't see them in Canada, at least I haven't anyway. I see you have 2...well you could make one and it would be easier than mine, the sponsons are there while I had to make them which wasn't easy.
I will post a couple of pics on the Hisstank website when I'm closer to finishing. I will post all dev shots here, the 1:18th are very supportive here and I will continue to support them with more customs. Even tho they were skeptical at first.(hehe).
I love this shit so there will be more and better projects in the future.

I want to start a Chinook project either from scratch or from parts of other things. (like usual). Probably more scratch. These will be made modular so they will be affordable if castable. The basic holo body is first, then if you want to add on things like a cockpit or seats in the back or a detailed cargohold or armaments. All these can be addons and charged accordingly.
I can make them piece by piece so it can go to a castor easily and affordably. I think. If enough intrest is in this mabey a kickstarter program to start it off. The person whom donates the most, I will give them the CH-46.
Tofujesse hasn't gotten ahold of me so I'm not sure what's up with his decision on the CH-46. If I would have know before I started it I would have made it modular and would have been easily casted. What do you guys think?
I

Thanks for the warm welcome. You are a very talented vehicle modeler. Very fine attention to detail (checked out your other projects on here). As for the Tonka Choppers, I only have one. The first picture was a stock photo of the two versions that mold. The second pictures is Zoomie2001's from his post on Hisstank. The last two pictures are of mine that I got off of e-bay. I payed $10 for it but shipping was $12, still to have a close enough Joe scale Sea Knight in hand, it was worth it. I want to change the cockpit from a single seater to a 2 seater and your design looks promising. Beyond that, I have not put much thoght on it as I am currently restoring my Flagg and making deck crew, sailors and marines for the carrier.

I can't wait to see yours finshed up. I am really interested to see how you will paint it and what decals or stickers you are going to use. Are you planning on using any of the Cobrastickers or Ruben's stickers? Or are you planning on using custom made stickers/decals based on paticular squadern design?

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Welcome Ben!

We're all hoping and praying once he finishes this beast up that one of our friendly neighborhood casting companies can turn this into a kit that we can buy...but that's a lot ofwishful thinking at this point.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the warm welcome. You are a very talented vehicle modeler. Very fine attention to detail (checked out your other projects on here). As for the Tonka Choppers, I only have one. The first picture was a stock photo of the two versions that mold. The second pictures is Zoomie2001's from his post on Hisstank. The last two pictures are of mine that I got off of e-bay. I payed $10 for it but shipping was $12, still to have a close enough Joe scale Sea Knight in hand, it was worth it. I want to change the cockpit from a single seater to a 2 seater and your design looks promising. Beyond that, I have not put much thoght on it as I am currently restoring my Flagg and making deck crew, sailors and marines for the carrier.

I can't wait to see yours finshed up. I am really interested to see how you will paint it and what decals or stickers you are going to use. Are you planning on using any of the Cobrastickers or Ruben's stickers? Or are you planning on using custom made stickers/decals based on paticular squadern design?

Hey dude, I'm not putting any stickers or markings at all yet as I might sell or give it away or let Tofujesse try to cast it.
Thank you very much for the nice comments man.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Hello fellow fighters, here's the latest.....

I installed some more armor plates up on the engines, and mocked up the rotors.

these are the chaffs for on the sponsons and underneath...

New armor plates

Rotors in the folded position...

I'm installing the chaffs and the wire cutters, radar dome and a chain for the rear gate, install the rotors properly...and then paint....stay tuned for more....:wave:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I need a word that transcends 'awesome'.

"Sublime" might be applicable.

Though the blade size doesn't seem to jibe with that of the fuselage. They match up to the real life pics, though, aside from the not having "the droop".

Which you really don't want when you display your helo "in flight".

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Hello fellow fighters, here's another digler update...

Wire cutters....

M2 position

Only a few more little thingys to add here and there.... the rotors need to be set permanently, the radar dome and other little bumps n stuff....I'd like to put more detail in the landing gear, and I have a large winch for the rear to install....stay tuned for more....:wave: