Considering an airbrush.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm considering an airbrush to use on all facets of customizing...fine lines are a plus, is that even possible?...does quality or brand matter?...are they difficult to master/use?...I noticed hobby lobby and harbor freight have kits...

Basically I have zero knowledge except that they produce great results...sooooo...

Thoughts, tips, advice...:)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Like anything else there's gonna be a learning curve. Best get a Harbor Freight special to get a general idea. Buy an expensive one now and you could turn out to be a tier one airbrush operator, or you could find you didn't have a knack for it and just dumped a brick of cash you won't get back when you sell off the rig.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I think the harbor freight versions are good. You'll also have to have an air compressor if you want regular/consistent air pressure. You *can* use a refillable airtank, but you'll end up having to refill it in the middle of something....NOT what you want to do.

Said air compresser can be a noiseless version, which will let you work just about anywhere anytime of the day or night. Without that, you'll be relegated to working outside AND with a set of earplugs in. If you go this route, you won't want to try using it in the winter outside...that won't turn out well at all.

I haven't looked in along time, but I think most basic airbrush kits come with fine line nozzles. If not, they shouldn't be too expensive to pick up on the side.

The only other thing I can suggest...if you get one...make SURE you clean it thoroughly after each use. Don't finish and then let it sit for 30 minutes, an hour, five hours, hardened paint is a BITCH to remove from one of those. And be thorough with the cleaning, break your airbrush down as far as possible (without negating any warranty), rinse all parts off in warm soapy water. BECAREFULL WITH THE NEEDLE TIP THAT USUALLY SITS AT THE FRONT OF MOST AIR BRUSHES. If it gets warpped even a tiny bit you could end up ruining it and having to buy a new one. It's not *really* expensive, but not something you want to have to deal with in the middle of working on a project.

Oh...one last thing.
Airbrushes come in two versions...
Single action & double action

Single action means that line thickness and the amount of paint that shoots out of the "gun" are tied into a single action button (it moves up and down). The more you push down the button, the wider and more solid the spray becomes.

Double action means the line thickness and paint volume are tied into a "two action" button....it's actually more like a lever. You push down on it to regulate line thickness while pulling back or pushing it forward to regulate paint volume.

Or maybe that's the other way around?

Last edited:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
^^^

Props to DSB for making me not want to pick one up anytime soon. Saving money, one post at a time.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
^Drop just unsold me on ever buying one. That sounds like a lot of hassle.

Eddie, you getting into the tshirt or license plate business? :)

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh man, I certainly didn't want to scare you guys off buying one! It sounds like a lot of hassle, but it really isn't. You just have to be carefull and take care of it as it is a precision machine of sorts. Breaking it down to clean really isn't that difficult. My airbrush has maybe five parts that I can disassemble myself. And as long as you don't bend the needle or drop it "point first" into anything hard, regular handling is just fine.

The single action/double action thing is just up to preference. I've handled both and prefer the single action because there's less to have to do manually....plus, the thumb and pointer finger (which is what you usually use to operate on of these) are twitchy which makes a double action hard for me to use.

Too bad there isn't a place where you can go to handle both and just mess around and get a feel for them so you could decided which, if any, you'd like to buy.

I guess the main pain in the ass to what I wrote earlier is the air compressor situation. Harbor Freight does have noise-less compressors...I haven't looked at their price in a long time, but I think they are generally around the same price as the brush itself.
And don't let the word "noiseless" fool you. While the amount of noise it generates when recharging the tank is much less than a regular compressor, it is not completely without sound.

Using a regular air compressor will kill your hearing unless you have it in another room or some sort of separate enclosed space.
A "noiseless" compressor is often much smaller and you can have it right next to you WITHOUT the need for hearing protection AND someone sleeping in the middle of the night in the room upstairs often won't even hear it themselves.

If nothing else, I bet there are TONE of videos on youtube covering airbrushes and noiseless/regular air compressors that will help fill you in.

One thing I might suggest, but I don't know if they are even available anymore...
Testors used to have airbrush kits....cheap ones. There was the gun, a glass vial you attached to it to hold paint and then the whole thing hooked up to a can of compressed air...that canned air was the same size as a spray can of paint.
I had a few of these and they were cheap and gave me a feel for using an airbrush.

-drawbacks to these-
A-Mine didn't have the ability to make different thicknesses of lines. It was pretty much one thickness (I'd say a medium) and that was it.

B-there was absolutely no way to break it down to clean. You had to run warm soapy water through the paint bottle and hope that was enough. After a few uses of mine and trying to clean it, it was toast.

C-Having to used the "canned air" sucked. The regulation of the air pressure was inconsistent and would almost ALWAYS run out in the middle of a project. It also didn't help that I used up 50% of one can at a time just getting the paint thickness right.

I *think* there were fittings available that would let you connect it to a small compressor, but again, this was a long time ago and my memory sucks.

If they are available, they are a cheap way to get some feel for an airbrush and weather or not you want to sink your money into one of better quality. This is what I did, although it was MANY years between using the cheap Testors brush and buying a nicer "professional" brush. I've only used the one I have a handful of times, and not on anything really small, but I generally have nothing but good things to say about it's handling and maintenance.

Last edited:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I don't even like the hassle of cleaning out my paint brushes let alone doing all that work. I might start working on strictly LBCs...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for all the AWESOME info Drop!...that seems like a great starting point of things to look into more...

I've been working on some planes and it's really hard to get them to look good with brushes...I've seen airbrush pre-shaded and post-shaded planes that look fantastic!...something that just can't be done well with a brush...

I could see the airbrush coming in handy any time work is done on a vehicle...though, I don't know how small a scale it would be valuable...the planes I'm working on are 1:72...would that be too small of work for an airbrush?

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Airbrushes come in two versions...
Single action & double action

Single action means that line thickness and the amount of paint that shoots out of the "gun" are tied into a single action button (it moves up and down). The more you push down the button, the wider and more solid the spray becomes.

Double action means the line thickness and paint volume are tied into a "two action" button....it's actually more like a lever. You push down on it to regulate line thickness while pulling back or pushing it forward to regulate paint volume.

Close but not quite right.

A single action airbrush has a button that pushes down to release the paint. Air flows through the brush at a constant pressure and you're basically just pushing the paint in front of it. Great for base coating, but not going to get any detail work done.

A dual action airbrush has a trigger that you push down and pull back. Pushing down releases paint into the flow of the air pressure. Pulling back designates how much paint you push.

I just took my airbrush kit out about 2 months back and got back into it. It can take some getting used to but it's a great tool. One word of caution - those HF airbrushes are crap. Siphon feed (i.e. the paint is in a jar under the brush and gets sucked up into the air flow) is crap compared with a gravity feed (air sits in a cup on top of the airbrush) brush. It's not a cheap hobby to get into, that's for sure.

If you want a good beginner brush, I suggest the Badger Patriot 105:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Br...qid=1389380899&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+patriot

If you want to jump in a little higher on the food chain, this is a great deal on a Sotar 20/20:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Br...qid=1389380899&sr=8-4&keywords=badger+patriot

(I own both of these just FYI)

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Actually, this is a halfway decent airbrush - at least better than anything HF will sell you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KJDXHQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's basically a bootleg of an Iwata brush. Iwata is a good brand, even though I prefer Badger.

One other thing to consider is that all manufacturers use a different thread size. So if you buy, say, the Master airbrush and a Badger compressor, you'll need some adapters to make them work together. In my experience every time I use one of those adapters to go from one size thread to another, I always have air leaks...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have a Iwata Studio compressor that is pretty damn quiet and a double action Iwata brush. I've never had the time or the place (at the same time) to actually learn how to use it. I only bought the best because the wife and I had those 50% coupons from Hobby Lobby and she wanted it for spray tanning. In summary, it's been used to paint 2 models with acrylics and to paint a couple naked women several times. I would certainly entertain offers to sell it, but no way in hell I'm digging it out until March or so when I move again.

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
As far as I know, the 0.2 is the smallest. The Sotar has a 0.2 needle and I can do some pretty fine lines with it. But it's just like regular paintbrushes - if you're going to be basecoating, you'll want a larger needle. Try to prime or base coat an action figure with a 3/0 brush and you'll see what I mean :D

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
I have a Iwata Studio compressor that is pretty damn quiet and a double action Iwata brush. I've never had the time or the place (at the same time) to actually learn how to use it. I only bought the best because the wife and I had those 50% coupons from Hobby Lobby and she wanted it for spray tanning. In summary, it's been used to paint 2 models with acrylics and to paint a couple naked women several times. I would certainly entertain offers to sell it, but no way in hell I'm digging it out until March or so when I move again.

Is it one of those whisper quiet table top compressors that is the size of a modem? Or is it like a regular floor compressor? I have a Badger compressor that's super quiet but it's old and I'm always worried that it's going to crap out at any given moment. But it's discontinued so I couldn't replace it even if I wanted to.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It's a table top piston type. It is designed for people who airbrush at fairs and such. I'll dig up some info online.

Edit:

This looks pretty close, but about 5yrs newer:

Edit again: It's a Smart Jet, not a Sprint Jet:

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/smart-jet/

And here is the Eclipse brush:

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/hp-bcs/

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
IF I do end up getting one, I certainly don't want to have to wait until March...

I checked out harbor freight today, to see if they had a compressor seperate from the kit...and they did...but it was sold out completely in my area because it was on sale...I was gonna get it due to the sale and just return it if I decided against an airbrush...

Researching airbrushes, you guys are right, gravity is better...so I'd get the HF compressor and another brand brush...I liked badgers for a couple reasons...biggest one being an American made product...two, they are supposedly great airbrushes for reasonable prices...

I looked at hobby lobby and my eyes bulged out of their sockets at their prices...

So if I'm understanding right, the paints I already have will work, just need thinning?

As far as I know, the 0.2 is the smallest. The Sotar has a 0.2 needle and I can do some pretty fine lines with it. But it's just like regular paintbrushes - if you're going to be basecoating, you'll want a larger needle. Try to prime or base coat an action figure with a 3/0 brush and you'll see what I mean :D

Good to know...

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Edddie, if you want a quality airbrush, check out Micheals/Hobby Lobby, most carry Itawa, Badger, Testor's and compressors plus you can use the 40-50% off coupons. I have a Testor's Aztek, not the best, but it has a lifetime warranty, I have received 2 replacements, no questions asked.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I did check HL...they had Itawa and another brand I can't recall at the moment that was pricier than Itawa...compressors for instance ABOVE $300!!...unless those things preform prostitute like services, no way in hell I'm spending that much :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So I ordered a Master compressor and airbrush (with .5, .3, and .2 needles) to play around with...if I like it, I'll get a better brush...

Thanks for the advice fellas, it was very helpful...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I have no idea if it's because I followed a link from in here, but Amazon just sent me one of those creepy-stalker emails telling me I should choose from 10 different airbrushes.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm still waiting on mine...I ordered it, not this past Sunday, but the Sunday before, and they just shipped it yesterday because I finally asked why it hadn't shipped yet when the estimated shipping was 13th/14th...*grumbles*

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Did you order from TCP Global?? I'm having so many issues with those idiots right now on some parts I ordered for my airbrush set up. Amazon says they have it in stock. I ordered them, 2 weeks later I contacted them and they tell me it's out of stock, should be in stock in 2 weeks (but Amazon says it's still in stock). 2 more weeks pass - still out of stock, we should have it in 2 weeks.... I have a feeling that's what I'm going to hear forever...

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
One of my local auto parts shops has their own brand of airbrushes. I have both a single-action and a double-action one. Probably sourced from China, but the design and build quality are like Iwata.

I also got a 2.5HP compressor with regulator from the same place.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Did you order from TCP Global?? I'm having so many issues with those idiots right now on some parts I ordered for my airbrush set up. Amazon says they have it in stock. I ordered them, 2 weeks later I contacted them and they tell me it's out of stock, should be in stock in 2 weeks (but Amazon says it's still in stock). 2 more weeks pass - still out of stock, we should have it in 2 weeks.... I have a feeling that's what I'm going to hear forever...

Yup, TCP Global...from Amazon...I contacted them after 7 days...I wasn't polite...

My order had an expected ship date of 13th/14th...it's now been a week and it still hasn't shipped...what's the hold up?

Thanks,
Eddie

I got a reaponse within two hours saying "it's at our South Carolina warehouse. I'll look into yadda yadda yadda..."

Two hours later I got a shipping notification and a tracking number...we'll see how it goes...

I'm not gonna be gentle with my review...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just (finally) got my package from TCP Global...and guess what?...the most important part of the set up is missing, the actual airbrush...ugh...this place sucks sooooooooo badly!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Exactly...they may as well have sent me nothing...

They wrote me back already asking for the information on the bottom of the packing slip that tells them who packed the order...it was left blank...I sent them a picture...

They said they're sending it out and I'll get a tracking number when it does...based on SWGs experience, I have little hope that it will actually happen :rolleyes:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just got the same run around that SWG got...I've been informed it's back ordered...they asked if I'd like to wait or get a refund...thanks to SWGs experience, I just asked for a refund...f*#% them!...I also contacted Amazon and put them on the case...I asked why, if TCP is telling me it's out of stock, is it listed as "in stock" on their site when TCP is the only distributor of the set...I hope it gets fixed as it seems TCP are trying to pull a fast one...

I ordered a better brush from amazon and NOT TCP...course, now I have to wait another week :rolleyes:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I need to get a quiet compressor, I have one of those ones for use in a garage.

Although it does keep the cats from messing with me while I paint.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's funny...when I ordered it, I was in full on customizing mode...by the time I finally got the thing about a month later, my motivation to work had completely vanished in favor of other things...I've yet to get the urge to get back to the table to paint...haven't tested it out at all :headinsand: