G.I. Joe Classified Series (1:12)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Ha, TF comics, in general, suck. If that's your only experience, I don't blame you for not being interested.

If you're ever in the mood to try again, let me send you a copy of ARAH #34. It's a stand alone issue, requiring that you read nothing before or after. If it doesn't grab you, then classic Hama Joe comics just aren't going to grab you. But don't let shitty TF comics, especially modern ones, sour you on the medium.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
My oldest daughter (the avid reader) read through the entire series last summer online while we were on vacation in Myrtle. I glanced at it a little then, but haven’t really read through it any time recently. Honestly, I’m afraid my adult brain will pick it apart and leave me without the mostly positive memories of it. BTW, I’ve never even cracked the cover of any but the Marvel series.

The basis for my personal Joe mythos consists primarily of my memories of the marvel comic series with some support from the cartoon (which I have watched more recently, but always knew they were campy). I suppose I hold the comic to a higher standard because they were supposed to be more gritty and “realistic.”

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The comics are better than the cartoon, by far. I don't think rereading the Marvel run will ruin your memories, as they hold up pretty well. I don't love the last 35 issues of the Marvel run, but I didn't love them originally. It just became all-ninjas, all-the-time in the 90's, definitely not my thing. But the first 120 still give me the feels.

Plus, if you've never read the Image/DDP stuff, it's pretty good, especially America's Elite. It put a great endcap on the series... before IDW continued the Marvel series, completely ignoring the DDP continuity. Talk about gritty, WWIII that ended the AE title was stellar.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Until now I hadn’t thought much about it since my daughter asked about reading the full series after inheriting my approximately half of the series hard copy collection. I found her the series online. I can’t remember if it had anything more then the Marvel run. I might try to find it again after our discussion here.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
In typical Amazon fashion... my RB showed up today out of the blue (yeah!). For a company on the bleeding edge of package logistics, it's astounding how bad they are at predicting when they're going to deliver something. It went from Sept, to August, back to September, and shows up randomly in Aug. I'm thankful I got one, but holy crap, why make it such a roller coaster, AMZ?

Also, I saw these and thought they looked interesting, "Street Humans". KS launching in Sept.

I couldn't care less about the monster faces or the line as a stand-alone thing. I don't even know if they're supposed to be people that turn into animals or just halloween masks or what. However, for 6.5"-scale Joe or Marvel civilian street thugs, goons, dreaknok wannabes, drug dealers, etc, they look like they could be really useful. I know pcsguy88 will love to have a stooge in a Broncos jersey ;)

I can see ML Punisher or Mafex John Wick beating the ever-loving $#!& out of these guys regularly.

1629306909410.png1629306932230.png

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Very nice. I bought one of those unpainted, but I haven't taken a brush to it yet.
Same - a buddy printed a few of Giga's freebies for me...I have only painted 1 head so far...this cc one is sitting on the work bench

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
God no I didn’t paint it. Awful at figures and wouldn’t dare try to paint human eyes. $30 was a steal to me for a painted one after Hasbro confirmed no hoods no mo.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Glad you got yours!

Overall, it's a good figure. I really hate the helmet though, but in all fairness, I wasn't a fan of it on the original figure either. This one makes him look like he got off the shortbus.

This facial portrait is much older/angrier than the W1 version. Mine doesn't have much paint on the mustache, so I'll likely have to remedy that. I kinda prefer the friendlier head I made out of the W1 (I sanded off the Amish beard - it looks better in person, don't know why it looks so rough in the pic). I am glad they got rid of the kneepad though. Also, I'm not sure why hasbro decided to make his shirt dark with a light camo pattern rather than the other way around. I know that's a nitpick, but it would have taken less than zero effort to get that right, same with the gloves.

Overall, I'm glad to have an official closer to the classic deco than previous releases, but it could have been much closer. At this point, I'm resigned to this level of "good enough" from Classified, because it seems that's all the effort the Hasbro team is willing to put in.

20210822_103958.SMALL.jpeg

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The Classified designer flat out said every figure will be modernized and used BBQ’s added pouches and Flint’s body armor vest as an example, so you definitely have to accept close enough or fix it yourself.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Last night I pulled 3 movie SEs and 2 SSs down from atop a shelf at Walmart. I looked for a minute and decided again that I have no use for either. Neither look terrible nor great. They fall square in the middle of not retro enough or interesting enough to stand on their own. I was hoping there was a Scarlett in the batch, but no luck. No guarantee she’d get the nod, but I’ll have to see it in person to decide. I have no use for any of the other movie figs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, I saw a couple of movie SS over the weekend, and they didn't get a second glance. Agree on all points. Never thought I'd see the day I wouldn't give two shakes about a Joe movie or it's highly articulated 6" figures, but it's 2021. Nothing is off the table.

Scarlett is the only one I have on PO just because I think the portrait is solid. I just hope it fits the W1 body.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Per TNI, these are the Classified computer leaks for 2022 (just RUMOR at this point, nothing confirmed)

G.I. Joe Classified 6" Figures For 2022 Revealed?!? (toynewsi.com)

Most of it sounds pretty plausible. Mostly, I'm extra excited that the Target Exclusives are Tiger/Python repaints that I have no f#$%s to give about. No more hunting the unobtainium!

Spirit is a fan fav, but never one of my top guys. His zen-indian schtick never resonated with me, and I never thought he could possibly go toe-to-toe with a real ninja like he often did in the toon. And I know they'll modify him so badly (because "modern" and because "woke") that he'll be unrecognizable.

If the rest of the list is true, Stalker and Dusty are definitely among my most wanted Joes, and the other cobra forces are welcome/necessary additions. The only thing fishy is the sheer small number of actual Joes.

----------------------------------
January 2022
-Deluxe Croc Master with crocodile

February 2022
-Storm Shadow
-Spirit With Freedom
-Cobra Officer

April 2022
-Tomax
-Xamot
-Stalker

June 2022
-Crimson Guard
-Zarana
-Dusty

-Cobra Viper And Viper Officer 2-pack

July 2022
Unknown crossover type figure similar to Fortnite Snake-Eyes

Target exclusives will now be themed Tiger Force vs Python Patrol.

June 2022 Target Exclusives
-Outback
-Python Viper
-Python B.A.T.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Interesting... That's a pretty good (rumored) selection of characters! Still, the Cobra/Joe ratio is surprisingly Cobra heavy. Seems reversed vs. the OG. I suppose Cobra always did have some of the coolest characters, but still...

Croc Master - unless they somehow cool him up (like make him remotely practical), that's an absolute pass for me.
Storm Shadow - if he's well done, that's a definite pick up.
Spirit/Freedom - absolutely, if he's not fully botched.
Cobra Officer - if he brings something new that the two troopers didn't.
Tomax/Xamot - sure, if they are any good. I don't see why they wouldn't just two-pack them though.
Stalker - has such potential to be awesome! I hope they execute it well. No dreadlocks please...
Crimson Guard - could also be so good if done well (H'bro, please don't botch it!). I'm thinking a display with T/X and a couple CGs (particularly if they give them some kind of an optional squad leader/rank insignia like the Target trooper).
Zarana - I'm already curious how they will handle this one. I'm surprised it's not a Baroness. I suppose they feel like the Kareness was the "for everybody who doesn't want to pay for the bike" version... :mad:
Dusty - so much potential, if done well. *fingers crossed*
Viper pack - may be my first multi/deluxe pack purchase. They have to make the officer stand out without making him "stick out," if that makes sense.
Crossover - I'd have to see it. SE Fortnite?
TF/PP - I have no interest. They would have to make Outback so much better than OG for me to even consider, let alone chase down. I agree that these are the kind of exclusives that TG should have. No more highly popular, main line characters please!

So I got bored so dropped into my closest TG last night. They had 3 each of Flint, LJ and CC. Nobody else. You'd think they'd focus on their exclusives, but whatever... Zilch at WM. Not even tagged pegs for GIJC yet with a reset happening. Still those stupid micro whatever figs clogging peg space, 4 lonely $13 retro Stalkers, and a couple $25 HISS 3s or whatever. Oh, and a couple SE movie swords or whatever, no 6" Joe anything. Total meh. I wonder who will ramp up GIJC for Christmas... Target? Walmart? Best Buy? Amazon? BBTS? EE?

My wish list (assuming the list above is close to accurate):
(soonest)
Gen. Hawk
Leatherneck
Camo Storm Shadow
Baroness (w/o bike)
Mutt w/ Junkyard
Scrap Iron
Shockwave
Ripcord
Non-PP BAT
Low-Light

(soon)
Rock 'n' Roll
Grunt
Flash
Footloose
Airborne
Eel
Torpedo
Recondo
Alpine
Snow Job
Snow Serpent
Tunnel Rat
Falcon
Hit 'n' Run
Repeater
(A non orange) Alley Viper
(A non yellow) Heat Viper
Night Viper
Dreadnoks

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
With the basic mold for the O13 already made for Breaker, I assume that they'll be scattered through the line and all made eventually. Plus, we're (theoretically) getting so many Cobras, my list is Joe heavy.

My list (assuming the rumor list holds):

(soonest)
Ripcord
Clutch
Ace
Snow Job
Chuckles
Wild Bill
Flash
BAT (regular)
Torpedo
Shipwreck
Steeler
Hawk (OG)

(later)
Torch/Buzzer/Ripper
Grandslam
ShortFuse
Covergirl
Mindbender
RnR
Grunt
General Hawk
Eel
Snow Serpent
Low Light
Tunnel Rat
Serpentor
COIL Trooper
Iron Grenadier

(I have visions of the Cobra Civil War in my head...)

Reactions: ThunderDan19

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
April and Jume is a long ass time to wait for a new figure once my Snimber pack shows up. Probably skip the plain officer since CI trooper filled that roll.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I was at another Walmart yesterday and they had the same movie figs as I’d seen at the other one: 3 SEs and 2 SSs. I’m thinking that must be what they get in a case (wave 1?). No Red Ninja, Scarlett, Kareness or that other chick. Maybe those are in movie wave 2 or later?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That seems to be Target’s current inventory. Was CC also released in a previous wave? I think I remember passing on him and Duke early in the run.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, think he was wave 2.

The hooded head turns him into a figure I actually leave out of the drawer now. The helmet with the uniform style was just awful and I only bought him out of boredom and the whole ‘having the leaders’ thing.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I’d love to have the hooded head, but it would need to be a.) already painted and b.) not $$$. I never had helmeted v1 CC back in the day, just the hooded mail order one, and later the battle armored one, which got a lot of use out of since he was kind of terminator like with his bulletproof armor. And that backpack? Jet pack! 😝

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Started seeing Breaker sightings pop up, so I decided to hit a couple of stores this morning (both out of the way). First store, no love. Second store, I debated about even stopping in b/c they never have anything, and they have this weird "modern" layout that is different than every other target ever. Same story, absolutely nothing but a couple of dregs movie figures.

Then I see this surfer-looking scalper-y guy on his phone at the end of the isle, and he starts talking to me, but I can't hear him b/c I'm listening to a podcast. I asked him to repeat what he said, and he was asking if I was there for GIJoe. I nodded yes, and he says, "Breaker, I mean. You're here for Breaker." Oddly, it was a statement, not a question. I decided not to fight it and said, "Of course." He then proceeds to tell me that he's been tracking them all week and that they're supposed to be in today and that he was stunned that there wasn't a crowd outside at opening, etc. I responded with some inane chit-chat.

He finally found someone that could check in the back, and told the dude with great resolve that both he and I were there for Breaker, and that he knows they have them in the back. Target had cancelled his PO and he was pissed and tired of hunting, and was clearly about to lose it. Minutes later, little dude appears from the back with a Breaker in each hand and gives us both one. After talking with the guy on the way to the checkout, he's just a collector, only wanted one. But he was going to get it or bust. Hot damn.

Really glad I stumbled upon that guy. Five minutes earlier or later and I'd have just turned around and left empty-handed.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Not hardly. I think the other collector said they were supposed to be getting a bunch, based on a conversation he'd had with another employee on monday. So no doubt there were several still back there for target-scalpers to ebay. The fact that the guy brought them out and handed us one each tells me they had more and wanted to make sure that WE weren't scalpers. They were obviously being rationed.

Truth be told, I probably would have cleaned them out, not to resell but just for the sweet OD green buck with laced-up boots. I won't be able to acquire enough of those. It'll force me to wait for them to re-release that mold at non-exclusive mass retail, hopefully another O13 member sans vehicle, also in solid green.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, no sense buying a bunch of bikes just to get the OG bodies. That same logic is how I ended up with a Kareness. :LOL: That and the fact that she has a better sculpt and better glasses.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Color-change Zartan, classified Spirit, classic Storm Shadow, and deluxe Croc Master announced at Pulsecon, up for preorder today 5pm (4pm for pulse members). Classic BAT announced but time and channel of release is TBD.

Classified TF Outback, PP Viper, PP BAT are target excl, preorders up at 5pm today. Target supposedly has fixed their preorder problem (and quantities). I'll believe it when I see it. I like the TF Outback (new sculpt, larger than Duke, smaller than Roadblock), but I'm skipping the PP figures. They just don't work for me, as I hate most of those repaint teams.

New o-ring figures too (SE+SS 2-pack), plus Haslab Skystriker for 3.75" O-ring figures, including Ace and nav/co-pilot, stretch goals of pilot scarlett and ground crew.

2021 Hasbro Pulse Con - Day 2 Coverage - G.I. Joe Panel Coverage (toynewsi.com)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Oh, I’ll be getting that Spirit, SS and BAT. The others, not so much. That Skystriker looks cool, but I have no place for it or any O-ring figs at this point. I’m glad they are offering them though, and that they have legit classic packaging.