G.I.*JOE comics discussion

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
question to the fellas that have read them...are they worth even bothering with?

Meh. Most of it is reviewing (via prose and a couple pictures) what has been happening in the comics that past year, as well as some extended dossiers on certain characters. There are also some articles about the state of GI Joe (the product), which at the time was interesting (telling us new characters that were coming out, or announcing the "upcoming" GI Joe Sunbow cartoon)...those are kinda a kick for the nostalgia factor.

Each one also has an original story (and I think a very short backup story). Two stand out...one starring the Oktober Guard (which was very good), and another dialogue-less one that pays homage to issue 21.

If you're a completist, then get them, but if you're on the fence, you might be disappointed in how much "filler" is in there.

CAPT. GRID-IRON

SerpentorsLair Commander
Jul 25, 2011
serpentorslair.info
might as well just number every issue "#1" :rolleyes:

they were just making too many books that interconnected that i finally threw in the towel and now just read ARAH continuation...

i do miss the art of the other books though...

same here, i was getting all of the new titles, but it just got to be too much, and i only have so much free time as an adult to read comic books, so i am sticking with just the larry hama continuation, thats the story continuity i really care about anyway

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
yeah, i read it, but i'm backed up...i'm on issue 167 right now...

I tend to read comics in short runs...otherwise my early-onset Alzheimer's' kicks in and I forget what happens month to month.

I was where you were yesterday, Eddie, but just read #168-171 last night. A great improvement from the early issues...it now feels like how he was writing when he was on the top of him game in the mid-80s, IMO.

I'm still several months behind in all my IDW reboot/Cobra Civil War stuff...maybe if I have some free time this weekend....

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Charade-

can you explain the Cobra series to me? I want to read them but I'm confused on the order... I got the Trade of the first Cobra series.. I know they made a Cobra 2 that was 4 issues I think? Then it's all fuzzy after that.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Charade-

can you explain the Cobra series to me? I want to read them but I'm confused on the order... I got the Trade of the first Cobra series.. I know they made a Cobra 2 that was 4 issues I think? Then it's all fuzzy after that.

Sure thing, MW. That series' numbering is confusing as hell.

But you're mostly there. There was a 4-issue miniseries, "Cobra". They then ran "Cobra II", which started as a 4-issue miniseries, but actually continued to run for 13 more issues. The series was relaunched again, about 5 months ago, as "Cobra" again (along with the relaunch of "GI Joe" and "Snake-Eyes"...these new issues will have the "Cobra Civil War" banner on the top.

As an editorial aside, if I could recommend one Joe comic to anyone, it would be that first Cobra/Cobra II series. It can be read independently from the "GI Joe" and "GI Joe:Origins" series. I can guarantee, Chuckles will become a favorite Joe by the end.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Sure thing, MW. That series' numbering is confusing as hell.

But you're mostly there. There was a 4-issue miniseries, "Cobra". They then ran "Cobra II", which started as a 4-issue miniseries, but actually continued to run for 13 more issues. The series was relaunched again, about 5 months ago, as "Cobra" again (along with the relaunch of "GI Joe" and "Snake-Eyes"...these new issues will have the "Cobra Civil War" banner on the top.

As an editorial aside, if I could recommend one Joe comic to anyone, it would be that first Cobra/Cobra II series. It can be read independently from the "GI Joe" and "GI Joe:Origins" series. I can guarantee, Chuckles will become a favorite Joe by the end.

cool. Thanks for clearing it up. I read the first Cobra miniseries and it was badass. So I need to get the 2nd 4 issue mini series and then 13 "cobra" issues.

How many "Cobra" cobra civil war issues are there?

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
cool. Thanks for clearing it up. I read the first Cobra miniseries and it was badass. So I need to get the 2nd 4 issue mini series and then 13 "cobra" issues.

I probably wasn't clear...after the first Cobra (I) miniseries, there was Cobra II, which started as a 4-issue miniseries (and the first couple issues say "limited series"), but it did so well in sales and critical acclaim they extended it...so it's not 4+13, but rather 13 all together.

How many "Cobra" cobra civil war issues are there?

They just published their 5th issues.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
first off, the Cobra series was freaking awesome!...which makes me sad i had to stop reading it...

I tend to read comics in short runs...otherwise my early-onset Alzheimer's' kicks in and I forget what happens month to month.

I was where you were yesterday, Eddie, but just read #168-171 last night. A great improvement from the early issues...it now feels like how he was writing when he was on the top of him game in the mid-80s, IMO.

I'm still several months behind in all my IDW reboot/Cobra Civil War stuff...maybe if I have some free time this weekend....

yeah, if i get behind, i'll go back and re-read the last couple issues i read just to catch up before picking up where i left off...

as far as the Cobra series or any other besides the new ARAH book, i stopped reading them...and it pained me to do so...but Joe was just getting too crazy with too many books...and i made a choice to go with one and the book that won out was the one that connected to the Marvel trades i was picking up...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I probably wasn't clear...after the first Cobra (I) miniseries, there was Cobra II, which started as a 4-issue miniseries (and the first couple issues say "limited series"), but it did so well in sales and critical acclaim they extended it...so it's not 4+13, but rather 13 all together.

They just published their 5th issues.

cool. That clears it up for me. Why did they have to make it so damn confusing? Thanks

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
From the-gutters.com:

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I'm curious if anyone's read the G.I. Joe: Infestation 2 mini by Mike Raicht. I'm not big into fantasy (esp. in my Joes), and I know/care nothing about Lovecraft, but that series was pretty good. And funny. It was the most fun I've had reading a Joe comic in a long time.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i read the first one...and when i make it back to the book store i'll pic up the 2nd if they still have it...

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I enjoyed it. It was well written, and had a couple of decent characters that we haven't seen much of in the IDW world. Great art, great story.

The ending, to me, was a bit predictable though.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
A bit of a shameless plug, but here is an interview with Mike Raicht, writer for both the G.I. Joe: Infestation minis (as well as the fun and interesting Stuff of Legend books.)

Mike Raicht, writer of the New York Times bestseller Stuff of Legend, spent some time with ARealAmericanHero.com to discuss about his work with IDW's G.I. Joe: Infestation series. Mike (@MikeRaicht on Twitter) talks about his start in comics, his fondness for those early Larry Hama stories, building believable characters, and the future of those brave toys in The Dark.

http://www.arealamericanhero.com/2012/07/interview-with-infestation-writer-mike.html#more