Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
The whole family will be going...not sure which day but we will see it this weekend...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Likely Friday morning while kids are at school and adults are at work...I'd wait until the following week but don't kids that week off?

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
meh. You have to remember I spend a huge chunk of my free time at bars and clubs. A "rowdy crowd" of teens and nerds at a theater is nothing for me LOL

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
It's hard for me to enjoy a movie when there are morons there that couldn't care less about the film and are loud as hell...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the interwebnets, most likely with Russian subtitles.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
As much as I'm already bashing the movie, I found this user review on IMDB funny just in how this person obviously had a vendetta because there's so much assumption, it's hilarious.

SPOILERS

"I saw this is in a special preview the other night and I was underwhelmed. Sure, Channing as Duke, Byung-Hun Lee as Storm Shadow, Arnie Vosloo as Zartan and Luke Bracey as Cobra Commander are back (his suit finally looks the way it is supposed to) Jonathan Pryce as wimpy US president as well, but this pic took an awfully long time to be developed and find a release date. Now we get Ray Park as Snake Eyes and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as Roadblock (where has he been all this time?) A hold-over from last summer to add 3D effects and some extra scenes with Tatum, which they did in the beginning; unfortunately that meant some other fight scenes with Rza as Blind Master and Elodie Yung as Jinx had to be shortened to not be dragged down plot wise in the middle part of the movie, a fantastic fight (and flight) sequence in and near the mountain monastery where Storm Shadow has to be abducted to be brought up to speed about what Zartan has really been up to with Cobra. Walton Goggins turns up as Chief Warden Nigel James of an extreme underground prison facility and Bruce Willis gets a few good scenes as gun nut General Joe Colton, whose house seems to be a whole arsenal of weaponry - and wth is James Carville doing in this?? - I liked wonder woman Adrianne Palicki as Brenda - whoops, Jaye, but you can tell that the production as a whole struggled mightily to keep this movie to no more than a 100 minutes in edit. Scenes are set up elaborately only to be over in their entirety before you know it, in a plot which resembles the "Renegades" TV story line with a little James Bond from yesteryear thrown in (think "Diamonds Are Forever" and "Moonraker"). Directed by Jon M. Chu who took over from Stephen Sommers in this sequel, the movie offers little more than some extra VFX over its predecessor. I wished I had seen a little extra of Zartan and Jinx but oh well. Somehow this franchise seems to lend itself better to TV serials and animated stuff... great live action movies don't seem to be part of it. I marked my review as containing spoilers but most of this you can glean from the trailers already."

As for RottenTomatoes, I remember RoC was in the upper 70s, lower 80s before it was released. You have to understand that a lot of studios have paid people to go around the internet before a movie is released and counter negative reviews on sites like IMDB.com and Rotten Tomatoes by giving movies a lot of positive ratings. In essence, they're trying to protect their investment and maximize their opening earnings.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'll be happy if this is just a jumping off point from RoC into something else, hopefully better. From that other interview, it was clear the studio did not want to do a 'reboot' on the series, and needed to keep some sort of continuity. I guess I'm hoping by the end of this movie they can sort of re-establish who GI JOE is in the movie world and go from there against COBRA(!) etc.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Just get me some cool figures, I don't really care if the movies suck, or don't live up to a bunch of man-children's expectations.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I hope if they make another one that they don't feel obligated to make it against Cobra again. It works for the cartoon but I think they need to develop a better universe of villains that don't follow the same build massive weapon that GI Joe destroys.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Just get me some cool figures, I don't really care if the movies suck, or don't live up to a bunch of man-children's expectations.

That's the thing though. The movies need to be a success for them to start pumping out all kinds of figures.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The movie could be a blockbuster and it wouldn't mean shit would move off the pegs.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The movie could be a blockbuster and it wouldn't mean shit would move off the pegs.

Yes and no.

I mean look at IM2. Anyone would say that IM2 was a movie success, and a franchise success. The figures were even generally a success, though we all lament the issue of too many IM and not enough villains.

All of that success gets us.. what? The worst movie line (from Hasbro) in IM3 that I can recall.

RoC was.. well, I guess a middling movie success, it didn't LOSE money after all was said and done. Toy-wise, I don't know, there was quite a few toys in the discount stores etc, but I have to imagine it worked out OK for Hasbro.

Now we get.. well some shitty waves, but some good figures in there, some nice 3-packs and a ridiculously great later wave (if it actually shows up).

No idea how that works out.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
That's true but look at Transformers. Say what you will about the movies but after the monster success of #1 and #2... look at the shit ton of product they got. Joe gets a line of 12 figures and then goes on hiatus for 9 months. If the movies starting producing TF money... then cartoons would follow etc. Product would continue to be made and be year round.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's true but look at Transformers. Say what you will about the movies but after the monster success of #1 and #2... look at the shit ton of product they got. Joe gets a line of 12 figures and then goes on hiatus for 9 months. If the movies starting producing TF money... then cartoons would follow etc. Product would continue to be made and be year round.

Theoretically, yes. The problem is TF generally sustains strong sells outside of a movie year, and even when Joe was at it's sales apex TF was still doing better.

I think it's gonna take more than a movie to get the job done. Now, if Retaliation can get a sequel greenlit (and if it can't get one with Dwayne Johnson staring then I don't know what the hell to tell anyone), and maybe a series that doesn't suck or can actually get seen by the chilrin' we might start cooking with gas.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Looks like the Brahma Bull left his stamp.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Theoretically, yes. The problem is TF generally sustains strong sells outside of a movie year, and even when Joe was at it's sales apex TF was still doing better.

I think it's gonna take more than a movie to get the job done. Now, if Retaliation can get a sequel greenlit (and if it can't get one with Dwayne Johnson staring then I don't know what the hell to tell anyone), and maybe a series that doesn't suck or can actually get seen by the chilrin' we might start cooking with gas.

Yes! But that was after the huge movies. A successful Joe Movie(really big like 500 million big) can only do great things for the brand. Sure some ARAH F.A.G.s will be mad cuz Flint isn't wearing a beret or whatever and M.U.T.'s will be mad cuz it's to sci fi etc but the Toy lines will be much more active IMO.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
explosions galore and Scarlet, Cover Girl and Lady Jaye would be Super Models :)

Ummm... Cover Girl IS a super model!

Bay had already made a great GI Joe movie. Just remove the 15 minutes of robots from the TF movies, and pay attention to NEST, Micheal Bay's middle finger to Sommers.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You've the TF movies right?

What?! PROPER ENGLISH PLEASE!

Not all of us reside in Detroit like you!

Maybe "seen" the TF movies? I liked the first one, 2nd one was god awful, the 3rd was passable. I think Michael Bay would make GI JOE interesting.. like someone said, lots of explosions and hot chicks, lots of cool military hardware. He'd probably even keep Roadblock as a rhyming cook.. cause he seems to like adding in those stereotypes..